Jordan Peterson: Gender Pronouns and Free Speech War

60 Minutes Australia put out this absolutely horrible teaser for their show today featuring Peterson:

The essentially put words in his mouth and make it seem as if he holds beliefs he doesn't actually hold. Nothing new there, it's just particularly egregious. It's so bad it's almost funny, so a couple of us decided to attempt to make something so funny it's bad:

It's amazing what you can do when you take something out of context!

I'm starting to get completely sick and tired of the misrepresentations of JBP. It's exhausting. So thanks for injecting a bit of levity back into the culture war A.I.

Twitter meltdown after Boy Scouts announces ‘gender neutral’ name change
Published time: 3 May, 2018 11:00 Tweet's Galore RT
Boy Scouts of America has announced it will soon be dropping ‘Boy’ from the organization's name, sending Twitter into outrage and disbelief. Critics of the name change say America’s young men are being intentionally emasculated.

With girls soon to be allowed to join the organization, the Boy Scouts will officially become known as Scouts BSA in 2019 to reflect the “inclusive” nature of the century-old club. The group’s board of directors unanimously voted to accept all children, regardless of gender, in October – a decision that may have been spurred, at least in part, by dropping enrollment in the club. There are currently around 2.3 million scouts in the United States – down nearly 30 percent since 2000.

As we enter a new era for our organization, it is important that all youth can see themselves in Scouting in every way possible,” Boy Scouts of America chief executive Michael Surbaugh said in a statement. “That is why it is important that the name for our Scouting program for older youth remain consistent with the single name approach used for the Cub Scouts.” The Cub Scouts are for younger children aged 7-10.

But the name change may have been a gender-inclusive bridge too far, with some conservatives now tweeting eulogies to US manhood.

“R.I.P. Boy Scouts, 1910-2018. Yet another institution has come under siege by Political Correctness. Liberalism is slowly decaying everything that was once good in our society,” Lucian B. Wintrich, the DC Bureau Chief for the conservative Gateway Pundit, tweeted.

“This is the culture war we face. The goal of the left is to convert men into weak, feckless, cupcakes,” Allen West, a political commentator and former US congressman, wrote.

Another former congressman, Joe Walsh, shared a similar sentiment: “We’re doing our best to raise a generation of boys who will not be able to defend themselves, their families, or their country,” Walsh wrote.

Many in the Twitterati blamed the name change on “political correctness” and “feminists,” with some suggesting the club rename itself “Soy Scouts.”

Critics also described the name change as hypocritical, with one Twitter user writing:

“Everywhere we look, exclusively male spaces are being invaded and neutralized. At the same time, exclusively female spaces thrive and grow. This hypocrisy is unsustainable.”

Now that the Boy Scouts no longer exist and must accept girls, how is it possible Girl Scouts still exist, but don’t accept boys?” wrote American actor James Woods in response to the news.

Businessman and former US presidential candidate Herman Cain mourned the end of “Boy Scouts” – but warned other conservatives to avoid blowing the name change out of proportion.

“Farewell, ‘Boy Scouts,’ 108 years is a good run. Welcome, future ‘Scouts.’ ...And remember, being conservative doesn't mean you have to freak out about everything. That's a horrible way to live. Leave it to the left,” Cain wrote.

The Girl Scouts of America has not directly commented on the name change. But the exclusively girls’ club criticized the Boy Scouts’ October decision to admit girls, telling ABC News in a statement that: "Instead of addressing systemic issues of continuing sexual assault, financial mismanagement and deficient programming, BSA's senior management wants to add an accelerant to the house fire by recruiting girls."

More than 3,000 girls are already enrolled in the BSA’s Early Adopter Program, allowing them to participate in the Cub Scouts ahead of the formal policy change.

It's amazing what you can do when you take something out of context!

Excellent work, looks like it struck a nerve on Youtube, garnering quite a few positive comments. Below's the full 'muh gender paygap' segment (with a few critical comments from the uploader). Every time they do some hit-piece like this, regurgitating the exact same lines they said before, Peterson's views just become more attractive. I don't think they quite get that.

I'm not sure if this video should be posted in JP's ongoing threads, but I thought about sharing it with you guys since I found it's a very powerful compilation of some of his best speeches so far.

Personally i've been listeting to it several days now, and it's given me quite some inspiration in the last days.

Enjoy :-D

Here in Canada, we have the Munk debates, and JP and Stephen Fry appeared on the latest one with the topic being... Political Correctness! There was a lot of back and forth with a lot of personal attacks directed towards Peterson by one debater in particular, who was supposed to be advocating for political correctness, but instead, obsessed about race almost the entire time. Despite having to defend himself so much, Peterson handled it well, although Stephen Fry did masterfully and really nailed it.

Added: Actually, both debaters who were advocating for political correctness went after Peterson. He really has a target on his back these days, but I was actually glad to see Stephen Fry up there with him. I was worried that the Dyson fellow, who talks as if he's trying to hypnotize you, and who also represents and embodies all that's wrong with identity politics propaganda, was getting under JP's skin, but Fry was pretty wise to what was happening up there and called Dyson out more than a few times, especially in his closing remarks where he compared his rants to "huckstering snake oil pulpit talk." It was almost like the discussion of political correctness was overshadowed by the 'battle of ideas' that were playing out on stage.

Last edited:
Added: Actually, both debaters who were advocating for political correctness went after Peterson. He really has a target on his back these days, but I was actually glad to see Stephen Fry up there with him. I was worried that the Dyson fellow, who talks as if he's trying to hypnotize you, and who also represents and embodies all that's wrong with identity politics propaganda, was getting under JP's skin, but Fry was pretty wise to what was happening up there and called Dyson out more than a few times, especially in his closing remarks where he compared his rants to "huckstering snake oil pulpit talk." It was almost like the discussion of political correctness was overshadowed by the 'battle of ideas' that were playing out on stage.

I am halfway through, but I thought this debate was more difficult to watch than the Cathy Newman interview because of that Dyson fellow. Calling Peterson a "mean, white" man twice was uncalled for and an ad homonym attack at that and this character should have known better. He probably didn't expect the audience to boo him when he repeated his "mean, white man" meme, so sure of himself that he is on the right side of history. Complaining about racism and at the same time attacking Jordan Peterson with racial slurs, I thought it was cheap, stupid and disgusting. :mad:

The fact that this man is teaching a post-modernism course is very worrying. At the same I was wondering whether Dyson has some sort of disability. I noticed that at times he was rocking back and forth in his chair.

I encountered the same kind of dynamic the other day when someone was complaining about racism in her life and at the same she could understand why people slaughtered Gaddafi. Her rationale was that black Africans had been treated like slaves in Libya, before the West destroyed the country, so his murder was understandable. I was gobsmacked and I left it at that, because there was no way of getting through to her. This Dyson fellow actually reminds me of this woman.

Yeah, I have to agree with Mariama. I'm about 40 minutes in so far and find Dyson difficult to watch as well. I really want to hear what Dr. Peterson and Stephen Fry have to say, but I dunno. With that said, I'm glad that Fry's up there with him to assist somewhat.

I am halfway through, but I thought this debate was more difficult to watch than the Cathy Newman interview because of that Dyson fellow. Calling Peterson a "mean, white" man twice was uncalled for and an ad homonym attack at that and this character should have known better. He probably didn't expect the audience to boo him when he repeated his "mean, white man" meme, so sure of himself that he is on the right side of history. Complaining about racism and at the same time attacking Jordan Peterson with racial slurs, I thought it was cheap, stupid and disgusting. :mad:

The fact that this man is teaching a post-modernism course is very worrying. At the same I was wondering whether Dyson has some sort of disability. I noticed that at times he was rocking back and forth in his chair.

I encountered the same kind of dynamic the other day when someone was complaining about racism in her life and at the same she could understand why people slaughtered Gaddafi. Her rationale was that black Africans had been treated like slaves in Libya, before the West destroyed the country, so his murder was understandable. I was gobsmacked and I left it at that, because there was no way of getting through to her. This Dyson fellow actually reminds me of this woman.

When this guy said this and then reiterated it, it was just appalling to hear. He was behaving like a little spoiled kid or something. Nonetheless, I think it was a great debate, I was caught in it all the time, and JP did a great job in the way he answered to this nonsense by Dyson. I dunno if it was just my head, but Dyson's body language also was weird, there were many times were sitting he was just rocking back and forth, I dunno this is just my opinion but I thought it was weird, and also the way he talked to the audience, almost no eye contact, for me it said some things about his personality also. But anywho, maybe im just reading too much into this.

As I said I got caught in the debate, and found again Jordan Peterson nailing it perfectly, and also Fry, I mean both of them were there to talk about Political Correctness and they did seem upset about not being able to have a decent mature debate, it was Dyson and Goldberg against JP. That Goldberg girl sometimes for me it was like she didn't have an idea about what she was talking about, and there was a moment were she contradicted herself, I can't recall where perfectly, but I did say wait what..?

Anywho, it was another great opportunity to hear JP.

After watching this one, YouTube recommended this talk, and found it is also worth watching:

Thanks for the Munk debate, Turgon.

Peter Munk, deceased, had his own 'mining' background in South Africa (not that Dyson would mention it), which is another story, yet Munk's debate forum has had some history, and here it was a most interesting assembly of debaters.

Agree with your initial assessment, and the 'Pro' side were both unexposed to what was happening in Canadian correctness politics (being American); which is what JP has had his focus on, which also gets twisted. As for the attacks here in the debate, it's how they twist what the debate really was about.

Here (so many comments could be made) the debate digressed at times - Dyson goes after Peterson (Peterson was right to say, you don't know anything about me) with the race card and the rebuttle gets fiery - this was all too bad, and expected, as it seemed to carry though to the end. You pointed out Dyson's hypnotizing oritor ways, and that seemed so - he even started clapping for LBJ, hmmm. Fry made some excellent points on topic, from Russel Means to #MeToo. Goldberg seems at time to be unsure of where to go, and seems somewhat moderate at the same time, sympathetic to con points of view (don't know her work). JP is use to the attacks and pays attention and does well - no notes; an excellent speaker.

There is a post debate interview at the end with the moderator, Fry and Peterson - JP accommodated Fry with some good words and Fry was disappointed that it had become a debate about race/gender. The moderator also interviews Goldberg and Dyson - Goldberg wished they could have "drilled down" further on the gender issues/range of feminist progress. With Dyson the moderator acknowledged that it was a sharp debate - and Dyson keeps carrying that along; gender, race, the workplace etc. Worth checking out.

Here is a preview Munk interview transcript of questions only between Goldberg and Peterson (the main debate is not available in transcript that can be found).

Political correctness vs. progress: Michelle Goldberg and Jordan Peterson each make their case ahead of Munk debate
John Ibbitson
Simona Chiose Postsecondary Education Reporter

Published May 17, 2018 Updated 1 day ago

Conservatives think progressives worry too much about “political correctness” – words and attitudes that include, protect and above all don’t offend. Progressives respond that ‘what you call political correctness, I call progress,’ which is the resolution of Friday’s Munk debate at Toronto’s Roy Thomson Hall.

Speaking for the resolution: sociologist, author and broadcaster Michael Eric Dyson and New York Times columnist Michelle Goldberg. Speaking against it: author and actor Stephen Fry and author and psychologist Jordan Peterson. To preview the debate, John Ibbitson spoke with Ms. Goldberg and Simona Chiose spoke with Mr. Peterson.

The interviews have been edited for clarity and length.

ILLUSTRATION BY MURAT YUKSELIR
Michelle Goldberg

Q: Do you think the term “political correctness” can be cast in a positive light?

The term “political correctness” is pejorative, although often the things that people insult as “political correctness” are seen in retrospect as progress. If you look at the things that were considered out-of-control politically correct in the nineties – things like not being able to refer to your female adult colleagues as “girls,” or calling black people in America African-Americans, or, and this is a little bit earlier, using Ms. if women didn’t identify as Miss or Mrs., or referring to people as “gay” instead of “homosexual” – these things that maybe at the time kind of stuck in people’s craw and felt awkward and strange and made them resentful now seem perfectly ordinary and, to most people, obvious signs of progress. And there were excesses then, and they fell by the wayside, and there are excesses now that are falling by the wayside, but I think the broader drive to make language more sensitive and inclusive is basically a positive one.

Q: What is the relationship between political correctness and free speech?

One of the things that’s frustrating about the way this debate tends to unfold is that, on the one hand, you do have genuine violations of free speech. You have “no-platforming” [denying, through policy or protest, a person or group the right to speak], you have people facing career consequences in academia for having unpopular views (although I think it’s important to note that you have people punished for their radical views just as often on the left as on the right). But I think people conflate efforts to restrict people’s free speech with very strident criticism. If people freak out and criticize you and even gang up on you online, I understand that can be really intimidating, but it’s not a violation of your free speech. That is just an unfortunate fact of life online.

Q: If so-called political correctness is actually progress, how do you define progress and how do we advance it?

Jordan Peterson talks about “the evil trinity of equity, diversity and inclusivity.” I actually think that equity, diversity and inclusivity are pretty good ways of describing what I see as progress. We’ve made an enormous amount of progress, though on some fronts more than others. It’s also obvious that if you live in the United States, where every single day brings news of either unjustified police shootings or people calling the police on black people because they’re trying to do something subversive like walk into their apartment or use the bathroom in a Starbucks, that there is a lot of progress left to be made.

Q: Are there any justifiable limits to free speech, beyond libel and commercial use and such?

Legally, it’s hard for me to think of any justifiable limits. The one place where maybe I diverge from the ACLU [American Civil Liberties Union] is that I think there should be a great deal more restriction on money and politics, which is often in the United States framed as a free-speech issue. But aside from that, legally, I’m a free-speech purist. But there is difference between what is legal what should be socially acceptable.

Q: Who should be held responsible for the harms that people experience from speech, and how should they be held accountable?

I imagine the answer is different in different particular cases. I certainly think that what happens online, particularly on Twitter, the people who should be held responsible are the people who created the algorithm and have refused to address people’s complaints about being harassed and threatened in ways that if they were made in other venues would be obviously illegal.

Q: What is the greater duty for a university: to protect its students from harmful speech, or to protect free speech and freedom on inquiry?

I do think it’s the job of the university to provide a forum for open debate. I also think it’s very important that people be exposed to views they find abhorrent so that they learn to formulate arguments against them, rather than reacting to them with this kind of stunned anxiety. But at the same time what often happens is that small incidents at universities are magnified to exaggerate the idea of a free-speech crisis or of ridiculous student snowflakes. On the one hand, I cringe at the idea of trigger warnings, but I also understand that the more people my age resist them, the more entrenched some students are going to become about that particular language.

Q: Should universities be compelled to protect their students from harmful speech?

I don’t think they should be compelled to protect their students, but I also think they should be respectful and make reasonable accommodations.

Q: Are you hopeful that reasonable people will be able to reach a consensus on this issue, or must we polarize over freedom of speech versus protection from harm forever?

I think that reasonable people will be able to reach a consensus when they feel less threatened. One of things that’s going on, at least in the United States, is that there is this terrifying phenomenon of things that you didn’t use to be able to say in public in the course of ordinary debate [that you can now say]. There’s been such a shattering of taboos that undergird pluralistic liberal democracy in the United States that I’m sympathetic to people’s frantic efforts to shore them up. And that makes people extremely anxious and it’s hard to be open-minded and relaxed about opposing views in an atmosphere like that. But my hope is that we won’t be in this atmosphere forever, and that eventually there will be a sort of reasonable consensus, which might mean that people have to start getting used to pronouns that stick in their throat, but that also leaves room for engagement.

ILLUSTRATION BY MURAT YUKSELIR
Jordan Peterson

Q: What does political correctness mean to you?

It means viewing the world through a collective lens where markers of group identity are the paramount reality, and the world is seen as a battleground between identity groups – a zero-sum game battleground between identity groups. I don’t regard the identitarian collectivists of the right as less reprehensible than the compassionate collectivists of the left.

Q: What is the relationship between political correctness and free speech?

If you start with the fundamental world view that I just laid out, you don’t tend to think of speech as free speech. You tend to think of all speech as motivated by the attempts by one group or another to attain relative power. The idea of free speech is not sensible within that framework, because you don’t see speech as the act of free individuals, you see speech as a power play of people representing their group.

Q: How do you define progress and how do we advance it?

Progress in large part would be the end of unnecessary suffering, that’s got to be the first metric: fewer people in abject misery, fewer people who are arbitrarily trapped, especially for arbitrary or tyrannical reasons. A huge part of that is freedom, including freedom of expression – as it has become more commonplace around the world, there’s been an equivalent increase in the standard of living and a decrease in abject misery.

Political correctness is posing a danger of re-emerged tribalism and threatening the progress that has been made so miraculously over the last 120 years, that seems to be accelerating around the world.

Q: That’s a somewhat instrumental justification of free speech.

It is reasonable if you equate free speech with thinking, which is eminently defendable, and you associate thinking with a higher probability of success in the world, and we can define success at least in part as the amelioration of abject misery, then free speech ameliorates abject misery and that’s a statement I would be willing to stand by ... not least because you get to criticize tyrants.

Q: Are there any justifiable limits on free speech?

I’m not an advocate of hate speech laws, I think they do more harm than good. Not because there is no such thing as hate speech, but because the definition of hate is sufficiently [vague] so that the people who end up defining it are the last people you would ever want to have that power. So I think the danger of attempting to define and regulate hate speech far outweighs the danger of the speech itself, partly because if you let hateful people speak, they tend to reveal themselves for who they are, and that tends to disenchant people with them. If you suppress them you make them into heroic martyrs. That is not a wise move, strategically.

Q: Who is responsible for attending to the harms that people experience from speech?

It’s either a civil law or legal matter. If you are libeled, you have legal recourse and if you don’t have criminal, you have civil. We’ve struck a balance between freedom of expression and the necessity for responsible expression as far as I’m concerned.

We are discussing free speech as if it’s one right among many, and it’s not, it’s a paramount right by a large margin. You interfere with that at extreme peril. You say it may harm people. Harm by whose definition? Who makes the rules and how do you compare that with the harm done by restricting free speech?

Q: What if the hate speech is in a closed online forum without anyone to counter it, and it only encourages prejudice?

Defining prejudice is a very difficult thing. That debate has emerged in Canada around so-called Islamophobia. It’s not easy at all to draw a line between justifiable and even laudable criticism of extremist, fundamentalist viewpoints of one religion or another – it doesn’t really matter which religion – and hate directed towards a particular subset of the population. That’s a very slippery border. Attempts to wade in there with legislation like Bill 103 – which I know is only a motion – do nothing to clarify the situation and everything, as far as I’m concerned, to make it worse.

Q: If you believe speech is the paramount right, should universities be compelled to protect it?

I will say the devil is in the details. There is a danger with that compulsion, because you end up where political regulation of university content becomes acceptable. I could say, ‘Would it not be wonderful if the legislative types enforced the requirements for free speech on Canadian universities?’ but then it sets a precedent where politicians regulate universities, and that is not necessarily the kind of precedent you want to establish. So I would say strong, reasonable encouragement is the preferable alternative.

Q: It is important that we continue to have this discussion? Can we outsource it to the robots?

Well, peace is the consequence of continual negotiation because the landscape around us changes all the time, and we have to continue the political discussion to maintain our equilibrium. There is no outsourcing. I think there is some utility – once you master a political domain – in transforming it into an algorithm that a bureaucracy can handle, a competent bureaucracy. Not everything always has to be up for debate. But the emerging problems of life have to be negotiated or conflict arises, so we better keep talking.

You're welcome marek760.

I also think the music and the images make it more powerful, and it is very inspiring.

It is the only think I don't like in the video, the music. It tryes to manipulate, sort of it. You don't need music when you hear Peterson. Plus he is crying, so it makes you cry, also. :)

Thanks for the video!

I just stumbled on this video today. Not sure if it has been posted before, but Peterson's sermon (because that's what it is) is just so good. Highly recommended.

Back
Top Bottom