'Missing 411', by David Paulides: Tracking unusual missing persons cases

Jul 12, 2018
Angela Hernandez has been missing since Friday. Relatives worry she may have taken a treacherous, winding road south of Big Sur. Maria Medina reports from Carmel. (7-12-18)

e38a6af7fd3c8add26a2573fc324e807.png

Ah..............OK

Published on Jul 13, 2018
Oregon woman Angela Hernandez, missing for a week, has been found alive. Friday, her Jeep was found 200 feet down a cliff off Highway 1, north of Nacimiento-Fergusson Road.
3761600_071318-kgo-oregon-rescue-monterey-c-img.jpg

The 23-year-old Oregon woman who was last seen south of Half Moon Bay last week was found injured but alive by a pair of passersby Friday night and taken to a hospital after her Jeep went over a cliff near Big Sur, officials said.

A man and woman walking near Highway 1 in an unincorporated area of Monterey County found the missing woman with an injured shoulder Friday evening and called for help, said Monterey County sheriff’s Cmdr. John Thornburg.

Just before 7 p.m., personnel with the sheriff’s office rescue team, responding to the call for help, found Angela Hernandez’s 2011 white Jeep Patriot over the cliff, and Hernandez just below the car, walking and talking, Thornburg said.

He said officials are unclear when her car went over the cliff, but estimate she may have been there for days.

Personnel with California State Parks, Big Sur Fire and California Highway Patrol were still at the scene Friday night to determine what led up to Hernandez’s car going over the cliff.

Hernandez drove into Monterey County on Highway 1 about 9:30 a.m. on July 6, according to San Mateo County sheriff’s officials.

a033bc1ab463437f0555082024afdafe.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxv8kFgK38Y

Once-missing Hawaii-based sailor returns to unit, Navy says
Tuesday, July 17th 2018, 1:56 am CEDT
HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) -
A U.S. Navy sailor who was reported absent without leave late last month voluntarily rejoined his unit on Sunday, more than two weeks after military officials filed a missing persons report with the Honolulu Police Department.

Shaun Palmer, a hospital corpsman assigned to 1st Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment at Marine Corps Base Hawaii, failed to report for duty on June 30, according to a military spokesperson.

In the days following his apparent disappearance, Palmer's mother said he had been last seen outside a bar in Waikiki following an apparent altercation.

Days later, his parent's reported having received a text message that read "I'm alive and I love you," according to Naval Criminal Investigative Service.

On Monday, a U.S. Navy spokesperson told Hawaii News Now that matters surround Seaman Palmer's absence were 'administrative in nature' and 'an internal matter.'

"In general, command leadership looks at these types of situations on a case-by-case basis with so many different variables," said Capt. Eric Abrams. "The focus right now is that we are thankful that he is safe and back with his unit."
Copyright 2018 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.

WOW a stroy to good to be true?

Woman survives a week after driving off California cliff - YouTube
Published on Jul 16, 2018

SNOHOMISH COUNTY, Wash. – Search and rescue crews are now on their third day of intense efforts to find missing hiker Sam Sayers deep in the mountain loop highway area of Vesper Peak.

"We have about 70 search and rescue members down on the Spada side, including canine, and we also have our helicopter and air operations," said Sargent Greg Sanders of the Snohomish County Sheriff's Office.

Sayer’s friends reported her missing after she didn't return from her hike this past Wednesday. Although she was alone, she's hiked this area before. And even though its summer, conditions up top are very different.

"It's alpine, at about 5,400 feet we actually still have snow up there."

Day hikers like Billy Herweh were briefed by search and rescue on who they're looking for just in case they see anything.
"Had my eyes peeled, as most people on the trail probably do today," Herweh said.

Vesper Peak is one of the most beautiful trails in this part of the cascades, but it can also be one of the trickiest to navigate.

"You never know, you hear it all the time, be prepared, but when the first thing you see or hear is a helicopter going by, which in the mountains is not a good thing, it's a pretty stark reminder that you just never know."

The search and rescue remains in full swing, as crews might have had a ping from Sayers cell phone. They are searching every side of Vesper Peak, including the trail head.

"We're actively looking for her- that is our goal, to find Samantha,"oo

If anyone has seen Sayers while hiking here on Wednesday, call Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office.

Missing Person Alert Yosemite 8/11 - High Sierra Topix
Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:43 pm
Information is currently being collected on Scott, will update as it is received.

Missing: Scott Tenczar, a San Jose native, and an Afghanistan veteran.

Route: Northern Yosemite Loop starting from Twin Lakes 7/25, due out 8/1.

If you were you in the area of Robinson Creek, Crown Lake, Matterhorn Canyon, Smedberg Lake, Seavey Pass, or Peeler Lake 7/25–8/5, contact Yosemite at 888-653-0009.

Missing People in Yosemite - Yosemite National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

North Carolina's Rankin Lake Park - 6 y.o. boy - has autism and is nonverbal - reported missing last Saturday.

HT_NC_MISSING1_180924KA_hpMain_16x9_608.jpg

Wed. Sept. 26, 2018 - Father of missing boy Maddox Ritch 'started panicking' after he got out of sight (Video)
Father of missing boy Maddox Ritch 'started panicking' after he got out of sight

Ian Ritch says he and his son often go for walks in North Carolina's Rankin Lake Park like they did Saturday. Maddox, 6, will regularly run ahead of his father, then slow down and wait for him to catch up.

But on Saturday, the boy, who has autism and is nonverbal, got too far ahead of Ian and hasn't been seen since. Ian says he "started panicking" when his 6-year-old son did not slow down and disappeared from view.

"We were walking on a track around the lake and he decided to take off from me. ... I didn’t think nothing of it and he got a little too far away from me," Ian Ritch told "Good Morning America" in an exclusive interview Wednesday. "As soon as I got to the point where I couldn’t see him anymore, I started panicking. I couldn’t see him anywhere."

Hundreds of officials from the FBI, Gastonia Police Department, Gastonia Fire Department and other agencies have scoured the park around the clock since he was reported missing Saturday. Tips have flooded the tip line set up to assist in finding the young boy, and authorities continue to interview the hundreds of people who were in the park on a beautiful early fall day.

"After the first day I thought they would have found him," Ian told "GMA."

"I feel like I should’ve caught him, not let him get too far," Ian said. "That’s what upsets me."

Ian said he continues to be eaten by guilt over letting his son get out of his sight.

"It's hard to sleep. I feel guilty because I can go to a house and lay down on the bed," Ian said, "and he's out there in the woods sleeping on the ground and that’s very upsetting."

Maddox's mother, Carrie, spoke during an emotional news conference Tuesday afternoon, begging for any tips that might help bring her son home.

"Maddox is my whole world and my reason for living," Carrie Ritch said during the press conference.

The FBI is offering a $10,000 reward for information that leads to the discovery of Maddox. Thousands of acres have been searched by foot, ATVs and boat.

Maddox has blond hair and blue eyes, weighs 45 pounds and is 4 feet tall, police said. He was wearing black shorts, closed-toe sandals and an orange T-shirt that reads "I am the Man" at the time he went missing, according to police.

"It's been nearly 75 agonizing hours since 6-year-old Maddox Ritch disappeared," Gastonia Police Chief Robert Helton said Tuesday. "We do not want another hour to pass without finding this child and bringing him home. All the help has been humbling."

Ian did not attend the press conference Tuesday with officials saying he was taking part in the search effort.

"I'm going to do all I can do to make sure he gets back home," Ian said. "I'll be out there searching, waiting, hoping, praying, everything I can do to get him home."

Sep 25, 2018 - 'I just want my baby home': Mom pleads for help in desperate search for missing 6-year-old Maddox Ritch
'I just want my baby home': Mom pleads for help in search for missing 6-year-old

Reactions: Ca.
Sept. 28, 2018 - Body believed to be missing 6-year-old Maddox Ritch found in North Carolina: 'This is not the end that we hoped for'
Body believed to be missing 6-year-old Maddox Ritch found in North Carolina: 'This is not the end that we hoped for'

A body believed to be missing boy Maddox Ritch was found on Thursday, days after the 6-year-old vanished in broad daylight in a North Carolina park, leaving the community "heartbroken," the local police chief said Thursday.

Maddox, who has autism and does not talk, was at Rankin Lake Park in Gastonia with his father, Ian Ritch, and another adult when he disappeared Saturday.

The body believed to be Maddox was found partially underwater in a creek Thursday about 1 mile from the park, officials said. His body was camouflaged and in an area that had been searched many times this week, officials said.

"Maddox Ritch was a beautiful young man," Gastonia Police Chief Robert Helton said, holding back tears at a news conference Thursday.

Helton added that "a lot of unanswered questions" remains.

Authorities want to hear from everyone who was at the park that day as they piece together what happened including how Maddox went from the park to the creek, how Maddox died and if foul play was involved, FBI officials said.

Ian Ritch had said his son had started sprinting roughly 25 to 30 feet ahead of him before the little boy ran out of sight.

"As soon as I got to the point where I couldn’t see him anymore, I started panicking," he said this week.

The disappearance sparked a massive search by local, state and federal investigators, who scoured the land with police dogs, searched dumpsters, waded through the park's lake using sonar and divers and scanned the area with helicopters and drones, police said.

Paulides just released a new Missing 411 book - LAW:

Missing 411 LAW is the most recent book in the blockbuster series about missing people by David Paulides. This work represents another spoke in the wheel of his investigative process. Prior 411 editions have focused on land and water-related missing people, LAW brings disappearances of airliners, private planes, and commercial airliners into the fold. Many of these aircraft have vanished in areas of the world known as "triangles," and others in known geographical clusters long established by the Missing 411 books.

Missing 411 LAW takes water, land and air disappearances and delivers an intriguing line of historical data indicating that each of these separate categories is related.

Sept. 28, 2018 - Body believed to be missing 6-year-old Maddox Ritch found in North Carolina: 'This is not the end that we hoped for'
Body believed to be missing 6-year-old Maddox Ritch found in North Carolina: 'This is not the end that we hoped for'

A body believed to be missing boy Maddox Ritch was found on Thursday, days after the 6-year-old vanished in broad daylight in a North Carolina park, leaving the community "heartbroken," the local police chief said Thursday.

Maddox, who has autism and does not talk, was at Rankin Lake Park in Gastonia with his father, Ian Ritch, and another adult when he disappeared Saturday.

The body believed to be Maddox was found partially underwater in a creek Thursday about 1 mile from the park, officials said. His body was camouflaged and in an area that had been searched many times this week, officials said.

"Maddox Ritch was a beautiful young man," Gastonia Police Chief Robert Helton said, holding back tears at a news conference Thursday.

Helton added that "a lot of unanswered questions" remains.

Authorities want to hear from everyone who was at the park that day as they piece together what happened including how Maddox went from the park to the creek, how Maddox died and if foul play was involved, FBI officials said.

Ian Ritch had said his son had started sprinting roughly 25 to 30 feet ahead of him before the little boy ran out of sight.

"As soon as I got to the point where I couldn’t see him anymore, I started panicking," he said this week.

The disappearance sparked a massive search by local, state and federal investigators, who scoured the land with police dogs, searched dumpsters, waded through the park's lake using sonar and divers and scanned the area with helicopters and drones, police said.

How sad! I was thinking about this little boy all the week, also his parents. This is terrible.

I went on their site to order it but the shipping price for Canada 46.05USPS Priority International . They have no cheaper option for shipping so I will wait.

Yeah, it's a bit of a tough one in CAD funds (30% add-on) with shipping. I actually bought my first Paulides book (might be his first book the Hoopa Project) for $19.95 CAD in a book story just this month. Might be a bit of a wait for his others unless e-books become an option.

I'll bet his 'LAW' book would be highly interesting.

Yeah, it's a bit of a tough one in CAD funds (30% add-on) with shipping. I actually bought my first Paulides book (might be his first book the Hoopa Project) for $19.95 CAD in a book story just this month. Might be a bit of a wait for his others unless e-books become an option.

I'll bet his 'LAW' book would be highly interesting.

Hi @Voyageur,

It must be used book since, I think, he sells his books only through his website.

Back
Top Bottom