Iodine and Potassium Iodide

I found this video where the woman also recommends adding iodine in not completely cooled mixture of water and potato starch. She says that iodine will not mix completely if the mixture is too cold. She recommends 30-40C (86-104F), which is how I made my batch. I just waited for mixture in jar to become cold enough that I can hold it in my hand, and then I put iodine.

She doesn't use sugar or citric acid, though. I think that I figured out why to use citric acid. The iodine likes acidic water, and citric acid raises acidity (lowers pH value) of water. So it can last longer in such mixture. You can see a demonstration of behavior of iodine in different liquids in this video:

But I think that Russians are a little crazy about dosing. Because this thing is way more powerful than Lugol's. If I remember correctly, a lot of us, including me, only started having a detox symptoms with Lugol's after the first two weeks of iodine loading. But this time I got the symptoms on the first day! And also I think that symptoms appear faster that with Lugol's. With Lugol's, I think that symptoms would appear after a couple of hours. But with this, the symptoms appear about half an hour later.

Yesterday I had the same symptoms as the first day, mild pain in forehead, pain in throat, strong itchiness on soles, and even a small tremor in my back. Everything that I had with Lugol's. And everything again subsided after two glasses of salted water.

So I'm wondering what the poor Russians are going through when they take a couple of teaspoons of 5 ml version? Without salted water?! Many would probably think that this is some kind of a poison!

So it seems that they have this powerful thing, but they don't know how to use it properly.

Well, I'm not saying that you cannot achieve some bonding that way, but it might not be the optimal. Especially since the quinoa doesn't have a lot of amylose, compared to other grains. But if you don't want to use potato or corn starch, another option would be a green banana flour. That also has a lot of amylose.

Or one can apply it to mashed potatoes and mix it around. It should turn blue like the quinoa or bread tests have shown. The color blue could be from the iodine in the lugols bonding to starch. It may not be as pure blue as the official formula you mention, but has some of that and the rest as "loose lugols" not reacted.

Even if it is not optimal, you get some of that form and the rest as normal lugols format. A win-win I would think because iodine form is used by certain parts of the body, not the combined iodide form or what this starch mixture is.

She doesn't use sugar or citric acid, though. I think that I figured out why to use citric acid. The iodine likes acidic water, and citric acid raises acidity (lowers pH value) of water. So it can last longer in such mixture. You can see a demonstration of behavior of iodine in different liquids in this video:

Acid turns the iodine into an iodide like form, ionic instead of solid iodine. That's why when you have ascorbic acid and drop lugols into it, it turns clear- the iodine gets converted to ionic form. So this method of using an acid gets rid of the iodine and creates an iodide-like ion mixture.

Acid turns the iodine into an iodide like form, ionic instead of solid iodine. That's why when you have ascorbic acid and drop lugols into it, it turns clear- the iodine gets converted to ionic form. So this method of using an acid gets rid of the iodine and creates an iodide-like ion mixture.

I was wondering about adding the citric acid too since we are to avoid neutralizing the effect by taking vitamin C close to the iodine solution. It was recommended to wait least half an hour or so before taking vitamin C ( or ascorbic acid).

Or one can apply it to mashed potatoes and mix it around. It should turn blue like the quinoa or bread tests have shown. The color blue could be from the iodine in the lugols bonding to starch. It may not be as pure blue as the official formula you mention, but has some of that and the rest as "loose lugols" not reacted.

Even if it is not optimal, you get some of that form and the rest as normal lugols format. A win-win I would think because iodine form is used by certain parts of the body, not the combined iodide form or what this starch mixture is.
yes, it is said that amylo-iodine is efficient at very low doses. So, having lugol on starchy food can do the trick. What I look for is a simple use, not recipes that lost our time. I have important books I'd like to read!

Oh thanks for bringing this out! The question is then: we've allways avoided to take acid foods (vitamine C included, as goyacobol says) with our Lugol supplement. Maybe it was not necessary? Is ionic iodide more interesting than iodine? than amylo-iodine?

Another point: yesterday I made this experiment: I dropped somme Lugol drops in a glass of home-made bone broth, and it turned orange! As meat is made of glycogen (ie the equivalent of starch in animal life). So, it gives glycogen-iodine (iodine bounds to glycogen): is it as effective as amylo-iodine?

Lugol's is also combined iodide form.

Actually, it seems that something else happens before you add iodine. What do you get when you mix sugar, water and citric acid on high temperature? Inverted sugar.

Invert sugar is hygroscopic which leads to a reduction of available water in food preparations, resulting in a longer shelf life of countless products. It lowers the spread of bacteria and basically acts as a preservative.

Invert sugar recipe | By Pastry Chef – Author Eddy Van Damme

Of course, if you want to avoid eating inverted sugar, you can skip these two ingredients. Just remember that the mixture will not last a long time.

What I look for is a simple use, not recipes that lost our time. I have important books I'd like to read!

This is a super simple recipe that can last for 40 days for a single batch.

I was wondering about adding the citric acid too since we are to avoid neutralizing the effect by taking vitamin C close to the iodine solution. It was recommended to wait least half an hour or so before taking vitamin C ( or ascorbic acid).

I just did a little experiment. I added a little bit of blue iodine into the water until the water got a nice blue color. Then I added the vitamin C (ascorbic acid). After a little stirring, the water immediately became colorless.

Then I repeated the same procedure with the same amount of citric acid. The water remained blue.

I think that this proves that you don't have to worry about reaction between citric acid and iodine.

The only thing is that, if we are to make inverted sugar, the recipe should be a little changed, since the inverted sugar is made above the 100C.

So in that case, you should first put sugar and citric acid in 150 ml of cold water, and heat it while stirring. After it boils, let it simmer for awhile. After that, put the hot water/sugar/citric acid mixture into the 50 ml water/starch mixture, stir and wait for it to cool down to 30-40C before adding iodine. After that, wait for it to cool down completely and then close the jar.

I forgot to say that, after it spends the night, this thing smells like fruit juice! The taste is not like fruit juice, thought, but is still much more palatable than Lugol's.

I tried to find an answer to why my semi-failed first attempt is still able to produce such a strong effect, and I think I found the answer:

Another intriguing question is as to what extent amylose and amylopectin are associated with each other in the granule. When starch granules are heated in a water suspension, they swell to different degree depending on the temperature and amylose tends to leach out from the granules. Amylose leaches more readily from maize starch granules than from potato starch granules.
Understanding Starch Structure: Recent Progress

So enough amylose leached out to bind with iodine, even though I haven't heated long enough to make a gel. But maybe that's a good thing because this way I will do a gradual detox before I make a new stronger batch with potato starch.

I had a small pain in the liver on the 4th and 5th day (I don't remember having that on Lugol's), but I started taking schisandra (good for liver) and hemp seed oil, which is rich in ALA (good for detox), and my pain subsided. I still feel my liver sometimes, but very mildly. Also sometimes feel mild pain in throat and head, but that disappears after drinking salted water. Yesterday I felt my thyroid for the first time, after started taking a double dose, but today took selenium and I don't feel her anymore.

So be ready to support your liver and thyroid if you try this.

Apart from blue iodine, there is another product that Ukrainians are making. It is called Jodis. They say that it is also a version of ion-positive iodine, but their version is bound to water, instead of starch. They have a list of several European countries where they sell their products. This is a German website: Products | Jodis

But as far I can see, there are no such products coming from the West, although I did managed to find such patents.

There is this old one from 1945: Beta amylose-iodine compound and methods for the production of the same - Van, Deventer H. R.

And this newer one from 1992: WO1992017190A1 - Dry starch-iodine pharmaceutical formulations - Google Patents

And this article from 2011: https://www.researchgate.net/public...amylose_to_combat_iodine_deficiency_disorders

But, for some reason, nobody is making anything like that. Too good and too cheap?

Here is a six part lecture about starch. There you can learn why we need to cook the starch with a lot of water to be able to bind it with iodine. And a lot of other interesting things:

And as a bonus, here is a nice demonstration of different starches in their gel forms:

Learning about Starch Textures: Cook-up and Retrogradation

Notice that he first dissolved starch in cold water and then put it on the stove. That is how he avoided making lumps. So making the slurry, as in the original recipe, is not needed for our purpose.

In the meantime, I got a strong pain in the back two nights ago. It was on the same side where I got tremors a couple of days before that. The day after, once I realized that it won't go away on it's own, I used my NIR lamp for about half an hour. I also used it before on my liver.

Later on, I remembered that I also have a DMSO spray and sprayed it a couple of times. It is also good for detox, so that's a bonus. I bought it just a two months ago and never used it for any pain, so I forgot about that feature. Well, today the pain is almost completely gone. So those two things are something that you will also want to have for ameliorating the symptoms.

One thing is sure, I am much better prepared for this then I was when I started taking Lugol's.

I found two more patents from the same guys as in my previous post. From the first one we can see how much iodine we can mix with starch:

The amount of iodine which can be complexed to various starches has been reported by Larson et al. (Analytical Chemistry Vol. 25, 802-804, 1953). It was found that 18.4 grams of iodine complexed with 100 grams of amylose. Using starch with varying amounts of amylose, the amount of iodine, which can complex with the starch will also vary, from 0.149 grams using waxy sorghum to 18.9 grams using corn amylose, both per 100 g of starch.

US5910318A - Treatment of iodine deficiency diseases - Google Patents

Since we are using 10 grams of starch in our recipe, that means that we can use up to 1.89 grams of iodine. And in one teaspoon (5 ml) of 5% Lugol's we have 625 mg of iodine. So we are way below the maximum.

Potato starch has a bigger affinity towards iodine that corn, so we could probably use even more than 2 grams with that starch. Not that we have to, but it's good to know that we are not using more iodine that we should. Of course, the starch needs to be prepared in the correct way in order to maximally absorb the iodine.

Another patent is also very interesting since it directly compares amylo-iodine to other forms of iodine:

The most potent antiseptics are usually in and of themselves protoplasmic poisons to the tissues of higher organisms as well as to various types of microorganisms and viruses. Hence as a general rule they are toxic or highly irritating substances to the higher forms of life. The newer class of antibacterial agents, commonly known as antibiotics, having antibacterial effects against only limited types of microorganisms, many bacteria are resistant to their action while most types of viruses are unaffected by such antibiotics. In addition, many persons are highly allergic to some antibiotics. Hence it is a desideratum of long standing to discover or make a truly general spectrum antimicrobial agent which will be nontoxic to higher organisms.

It has been found that beta amylose-triiodide is such an agent. It was previously known that beta amylose triiodide is substantially non-toxic and non-irritating to the differentiated cells of the higher organisms. Within the scope of the present invention it was determined that the same substance, while non-toxic and non-irritating to the tissues of higher plants and animals was nevertheless a very potent protoplasmic poison to the undifferentiated cells of lower forms of life, such as bacteria, protozoa and viruses. The compound is distinct in its effect from free iodine, having a higher phenol coefficient than iodine and differing in physiological effect. For instance, it may be applied or orally administered to persons who exhibit severe allergies to iodine or other iodides employed as medicaments without eliciting any allergic reactions. (...)

It is evident that beta amylose triiodide has a complete antibacterial spectrum, being effective against both gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria, against aerobic and anaerobic bacteria, encapsulated bacteria, and even against bacterial spores.

The contrast is striking between the compounds deadly effect upon lower organisms and its relative compatibility with the tissues of higher organisms. (...)

The high potency of beta amylose triiodide as a germicide and viricide, coupled with its very low order of toxicity to higher organisms, indicates a value as a wide spectrum systemic antiseptic for the treatment of diseases caused by micro-organisms or viruses which are resistant to control by antibiotics or any chemotherapeutic agents now known or employed.

Other advantages of beta amylose triiodide as an antiseptic derive from its favorable physical and chemical properties. It may be prepared, stored and shipped as a dry powder. It is stable for greatly extended periods of time over all known climatic temperature ranges. It is readily soluble and stable in water and aqueous solution and physiological fluids. It is unaffected by acidity or alkalinity over the entire range of pH met with in physiological fluids. (...)

Preliminary studies indicate that maintaining a blood level in humans of .01% of the compound is effective for most bacterial and viral organisms. In low concentrations the half life of the substance in the blood is about three days, the other half being either excreted or metabolized within the period.

US2927058A - Method of producing antisepsis by beta amylose trhodide - Google Patents

It surely sounds like a powerful thing!

Here is a wiki article about this guy.

- The day after, I had to urinate nearly every half hour (pure colorless urine without any smell)

In my third week of taking blue iodine I got the same symptom. A lot of urination, usually without color. I didn't have this with Lugol's, so I didn't know if this was a detox symptom, but yesterday finally realized that something is going on since this much of urination is unusual for me. Today I searched this topic and saw that a lot of people had this symptom. For me it is new. I guess that I will have to increase my water intake to help the detox.

After listening to this radio show I realized that glycine is also good for detox, so I increased my intake of glycine, which I'm taking with my tea. Personally I never felt anything from glycine, but maybe I was taking too low amount.

Other symptoms that I mentioned before disappeared in my third week, even though I increased the dose to three teaspoons. Tomorrow I will further increase the dose after I make the new batch. I tried making the paste mixture with corn starch, and as you can see it was a total failure:

Blue iodine with corn starch paste.jpg

So the next batch I will also make it in liquid form with corn starch, but this time try to separate dissolved amylose from mixture with strainer, and then after that I will try the new one with potato starch.

I also found an interesting booklet by one Ukrainian manufacturer of blue iodine: Возвращение героя, или синий йод 50 лет спустя… - Документ
You can of course use a google translate to read it in English, or any other language. Google became very good at translating the Russian to English.

Of course, the best book to read about blue iodine is written by Mohnach, which I'm slowly reading now, but more about that later.

Has anybody heard about Gardner's syrup? It's another form of therapeutic iodine that I cannot find much about on the internet, except for this lettercard on ebay where it is said that they successfully used it for 25 years.

Found it!

Dr. Andrew Buchanan gives the following formula as that according to which the liquid hydriodic acid is prepared in the Glasgow Royal Infirmary; Iodidi Potassii, grs. 330, Acidi Tartarici, grs. 264. (...)

It is a fact well known to physiologists, says Dr. B., that when free iodine is introduced into the stomach, it is speedily converted into hydriodic acid. This conversion is probably effected differently in different cases. If a large quantity of uncombined iodine be swallowed when the stomach is empty, the hydrogen with which it combines may be furnished in part by the gastric juices, but it can scarcely be doubted that it is chiefly supplied from the tissues of the stomach itself, which undergo corrosion. When, however, the iodine is given in combination with starch, it is probable that the starch, while under digestion, furnishes the hydrogen which goes to form the hydriodic acid, and in this way the starch defends the tissues of the stomach from the corrosive action which they would otherwise undergo. It appeared to me, however, that it would be well to save the stomach the labour of preparing the hydriodic acid, by giving, for the purposes of medicine, not free iodine, but the hydriodic acid itself.

I was the more inclined to make this experiment, as it would enable us to determine, from direct evidence, whether the opinion, rendered so probable by general reasoning, be also borne out by experience, that hydriodic acid closely resembles iodine in its effects upon the body, and is in reality the active principle to which the ordinary preparations of iodine owe their medicinal efficacy. The trials made of the hydriodic acid as a medicine fully realized the expectations entertained of it.

The processes recommended in works upon chemistry for forming hydriodic acid are not well adapted for the purposes of medicine, both on account of their complexity, and because they do not yield an acid of which the strength is uniform and easily estimated. The strong mineral acids cannot be employed in decomposing the iodides to form hydriodie acid, as is done in forming muriatic acid from common salt, because those acids re-act on the hydriodic acid as it is generated. The tartaric acid, however, is not liable to the same objection, and I found on trying the experiment of treating iodide of potassium with tartaric acid, in the proportions necessary to form cream of tartar, that hydriodie acid was readily obtained in a state of sufficient purity for the purposes of medicine, although holding some cream of tartar in solution. To diminish as much as possible the quantity of cream of tartar dissolved, the acid and salts are each dissolved in a very small quantity of water, the rest of the water not being added till the precipitated cream of tartar has been removed by filtering. The liquid acid thus obtained has an agreeable sourness. It is at first limpid, or with only a slight yellow tinge; but as happens to this acid, in whatever way prepared, on being kept it soon assumes first a wine yellow, and next a beautiful red colour, from a portion of the acid undergoing decomposition, while the iodine disengaged is dissolved in the rest of the acid. It has been ascertained that this process of decomposition may go on till one-half of the acid is decomposed, when the colour of the liquid is a very dark red, approaching to black. The diluted acid, however, prepared as above, may be kept many months without at all approaching this limit.

The liquid hydriodic acid thus prepared I first tried as a medicine in the dose of a few drops. That dose was gradually increased to 3j. three times a day, equivalent to gr. 3j. of iodine, and at length to 3ss. three times a day, equivalent to 3j. of iodine. This last was the ordinary dose in which I exhibited the medicine, although I have given as much of it as 3j. three times a day, or 3ij. of iodine daily. The acidity of this medicine renders it one of the most agreeable preparations of iodine. The results obtained from numerous trials of its effects were—1st, That the hydriodic acid, if pure (by which I mean, not holding iodine in solution), has no local irritant action if sufficiently diluted. 2nd. That it is absorbed, and pervades the tissues of the body, and comes out with the secretions in the very same way as when free iodine is exhibited. 3d, That its therapeutical virtues are like those of free iodine.

The pure liquid hydriodic acid, having no irritant action unless in a state of concentration, may be safely given in water as a vehicle. When, however, the acid has undergone decomposition, the iodine dissolved renders it irritant, forming a preparation perfectly analogous to Lugol’s solution, of which it has been already stated that only a small dose can be given without inducing symptoms of gastric irritation. I always, therefore, adopted the precaution of giving hydriodic acid in a solution of starch as a vehicle. But for this precaution, owing to the great proneness of the acid to undergo decomposition, it would prove a very dangerous medicine for continued use. By using the starch as a vehicle, however, it is rendered perfectly safe, for the iodine of the decomposed acid combines with the starch, and thus the portion of the medicine which is not given as hydriodic acid is given in the equally innocuous and efficacious form of iodide of starch. Neither is it necessary, in prescribing, to make any allowance for changes in the strength of the acid from decomposition, for the part of it which has been decomposed is immediately reconverted into hydriodic acid on being introduced into the stomach.—London Med. Gaz.. July 2, 1836.

So he says that if we just take the iodine combined with starch, it will convert into hydriodic acid in our stomach.

With respect to the relative efficacy as medicines of the iodide of starch, hydriodic acid, and iodide of potassium, I am inclined to place them in the order in which they have just been enumerated; although I must admit that the superiority which I ascribe to the first is perhaps owing to my having prescribed it most frequently. The action of all of them, however, is very similar. The only mode of explaining the similarity of action on the body of substances so dissimilar in nature, is by considering the hydriodic acid as the active principle, producing the physiological and therapeutical effects usually ascribed to iodine. It has been already stated, that free iodine is immediately converted in the stomach into hydriodic acid. As to the hydriodate of potass, it is clear that in its passage through the bodv the muriate and phosphoric acids must lay hold of the potass, so that the hydriodic acid will combine with the weaker bases, the soda and lime, and thus pervade the system nearly in the same state as when free hydriodic acid itself is employed. The presence of the potass, however, must produce an important difference in the action of the hydriodate, which I have no doubt a more attentive observation will hereafter enable us to discriminate.

Iodide of Starch. - Dr. Andrew Buchanan, Junior Surgeon to the Glasgow Roval Infirmary, in a communication in the London Medical Gazette (2 July, 1836) extols this preparation of iodine, which he prepares in the following manner: (...)

The iodine is first triturated into a little water, and the starch gradually added, the trituration being continued till the compound assumes a uniform blue colour. The iodide is then dried with a heat so gentle as not to drive off the iodine, and it must be afterwards kept in a well stopped bottle.

The iodine, in the usual forms of exhibition, cannot in general be safely given in larger doses than four or six grains daily; whilst in the above formula Dr. Buchanan has given as much as 72 grains daily. Dr. Buchanan is in the habit, in persons not labouring under dyspepsia or constitutional delicacy of habit, and whom he wished to put under the influence of iodine, of commencing with the iodide of starch in doses of half an ounce three times a day, and increasing it immediately afterwards to ounce doses if necessary. “As there is no great reason,” he observes, “for nicely apportioning the doses, a heaped tea-spoonful, dessert-spoonful, or table-spoonful are convenient enough measures for smaller quantities in private practice. I have always directed the medicine to be taken in a draught of water gruel.”
It might rationally enough be supposed from the large doses in which the medicine is administered by Dr. Buchanan, that it is an inert preparation, but such seems not to be the case, as Dr. B. has detected the iodine abundantly in the secretions, showing it to be absorbed; and has been unable to detect any traces of it in the stools of patients taking it in large doses. It certainly must exert a less irritant action on the alimentary canal than the other preparations of iodine, but it may be a question whether it will be possible to induce patients to persevere in a medicine requiring to be given in such large doses, making a meal rather than a medicine!

You can search for "iodine" in the above link to read more about it. But what is interesting is that this guy was using this in 1836! That's just 7 years after Lugol's discovery.

You can read here the original article, on page 515. Here is just the first part of it that you cannot find in the previous article that I quoted:

REMARKS UPON THE PHYSIOLOGICAL AND THERAPEUTICAL EFFECTS OF IODINE, GIVEN IN VERY LARGE DOSES,
In the forms of Iodide of Starch, Hydriodic Acid, and Iodide of Potassium.

By Andrew Buchanan, M.D.
Junior Surgeon to the Glasgow Royal Infirmary.

The following remarks upon iodine comprehend the principal results of clinical observations on the use of that medicine, made during the last nine months in the surgical wards of the Glasgow Royal Infirmary. It was about the beginning of the period just mentioned, that I first became aware of the very large doses in which iodine admitted of being administered. Many of the patients treated took from a quarter to half a pound of it in the course of a month or six weeks; and yet so large a quantity, all of which it was ascertained was absorbed and passed through the body, to be discharged chiefly by the kidneys, produced no injurious effects upon the general health, and in many instances exerted a most salutary influence upon the diseases for which it was proscribed. Struck with a result so much at variance with the commonly received opinions as to the poisonous nature of the preparations of this substance, I prescribed it in every ease in which the use of it was at all admissible, with the view of throwing light both on its physiological and its therapeutical effects. In making known the result of these investigations, I shall first describe the preparations of iodine which were employed; I shall next state the most remarkable physiological effects observed; and, lastly, mention the principal diseases in which it was prescribed, and the opinion I was led to form of its curative influence.

Iodide of Starch

When iodine is given in the form of tincture or of Lugol’s solution, or in any of the other forms in which it is usually administered in the unconmbined state, the dose may be pushed as far as gr. iij. or gr. iv. in the course of the twenty-four hours; but if that dose be increased, and frequently even before attaining it, pain of the stomach and bowels, vomiting, and other symptoms of gastric irritation, are induced. If, however, Lugol’s solution be given in a state of great dilution, and in divided doses, a larger quantity may be taken — even to the extent of gr. vi. of iodine in the course of the day. This last observation, and the nature of the symptoms induced when iodine was found to disagree, led me to believe that the disagreement was to be ascribed to the irritant local action of the preparations employed, and not to any effects produced by the medicine subsequent to absorption. Under these impressions, I was led to look out for some new medicinal preparation of iodine, which might be less acrimonious in its local action, while its absorbability and alterant virtues were not diminished. The iodide of starch suggested itself to me as a substance likely to answer the euds in view. Judging from its taste, I thought it was not likely to prove an irritant preparation, for the acrimonious qualities of the iodine are so blunted by combining with the starch, that the compound tastes much more of starch than of iodine; and on reflecting still further on the digestibility of the starch in the stomach, I thought the combination was not likely to impede, but, on the contrary, rather to promote the absorption of the iodine, and its consequent efficacy as an alterant. These anticipations were fully confirmed by the trials made of the iodide of starch as a medicine.

Iodine and starch appear to be capable, like water and alcohol, of combining together in all proportions. In the receipt given above, the proportions employed are a scruple of starch to a grain of iodine. These were the proportions I tried in the first instance, and I have adhend to them ever since, finding them to answer well. The iodine should be first triturated with a little water, gradually adding the starch, and continuing the trituration till the compound assumes an uniform blue colour, so deep as to approach to a black. The iodide should lie dried with a heat so gentle as to run no risk of driving off' the iodine; and it ought afterwards to be kept in a well-stopped bottle.

Not knowing what change of physiological effects might be induced upon the iodine by combining it with starch, I commenced the use of the new medicine in the very cautious dose of ten grains, equivalent to half a grain of iodine. This dose was gradually increased to 3:v. or 4 grains of iodine in the course of the day, without exciting any unpleasant symptom.

Proceeding, therefore, in the same gradual manner, the dose was augmented to 3iv., equivalent to 12 grains of iodine daily, and still no symptom of gastric irritation was induced, while the secretions were deeply impregnated with iodine. I did not, for some time, judge it prudent to increase the dose further, because, though I felt satisfied that no bad effects were likely to arise from the irritant local action of the iodide of starch, I did not know what might he the consequence of impregnating the system with so large a quantity of iodine. It was only, therefore, after continuing the dose of 3iv. daily for a considerable period, and trying it in various cases, that I ventured to proceed further; no bad consequence of any kind having resulted from these trials.

The dose taken by the patient to whom the medicine had been first given was now increased by degrees, first to 3ss and at length to 3i., three times a day, equivalent to 72 grains of iodine daily; still no symptoms of gastro-intestinal irritation, and no other symptoms of an unpleasant kind, shewed themselves, while the secretions, and more especially the urine, were very deeply impregnated with iodine, becoming as black as ink on the addition of nitro-muriatic acid and starch. I have occasionally exceeded the last-mentioned dose, but not often, both because I thought that dose in all probability sufficient to produce whatever alterant effects could be expected from iodine, and because the bulk of the dose was so great that the patients objected to it, as being more like a meal than a medicine. Having satisfied myself, by many trials, of the safety of these doses of the iodide of starch, I have been in the habit, in persons not labouring under any dyspeptic ailment or constitutional delicacy of habit, and whom I wished to put under the influence of iodine, of commencing the use of the medicine with half-ounce doses, and increase them immediately afterwards to ounce doses, if necessary. As there is no great occasion for nicely apportioning the doses, a heaped teaspoonful, dessert-spoonful, or table-spoonful, are convenient enough measures for smaller quantities in private practice. I have always directed the medicine to be taken in a draught of water gruel.

Some medical friends to whom I mentioned the large doses in which I gave the iodide of starch, were of opinion that it must necessarily be an inert substance. I could, however, see no grounds for that opinion. To say nothing in the meantime of its effects in cases of disease, it is certainly not one of those substances, the inertness of which arises from their passing along the alimentary canal unchanged. This is rendered obvious by the iodine appearing abundantly in the secretions, which shews that it must have been absorbed and pervaded the tissues of the body; and since it is found in the secretions in the same state of chemical combination, as when free iodine in any other form is introduced into the stomach, there seems to be no reason why it should not produce the same alterant effects as the tincture of iodine, only with a degree of energy proportionate to the much larger quantity in which it admits of being introduced into the system.

Thinking it possible, however, that a portion of the medicine might pass undecomposed through the bowels, I have more than once examined the stools of patients taking it in full doses, and never could discover any traces of the dark colour which would, in that case, have been communicated. On the contrary, the stools were, for the most part, of a paler colour than usual. To be still more certain, I had the feces voided by a patient taking the medicine in 3i. doses, subjected to a chemical examination. Water digested over them gave no trace of free hydriodic acid, or soluble iodides. To detect the presence of any undecomposed iodide of starch, the mass was next treated with a solution of potass; but on neutralising the potass, not one particle of starch was precipitated. It follows, then, that the whole iodine given in combination with starch undergoes the same changes in the first passages as free iodine given in any other vehicle, and that it is wholly absorbed into the system; and the only difference between the iodide of starch and other preparations of free iodine, is, that the former exerts no irritant or corrosive action on the stomach and bowels, and admits, therefore, of being introduced into the body in vastly larger quantities.

Of course, the Mohnach would dissagree with the last part. He claims that it is also important what charge does the iodine possess. But in any case, both agree that starch-iodine is one of the best versions of iodine.

Back
Top Bottom