Ice Age Preparation ?

Palinurus

The Living Force
Source: _http://www.nltimes.nl/2015/12/23/eindhoven-students-to-build-worlds-longest-ice-bridge-in-finland/

Eindhoven students to build world’s longest ice bridge in Finland

Posted on Dec 23, 2015 by Janene Pieters

e7594b1cd8.jpg

Impression of the ice bridge TU Eindhoven students are planning
to build in Finland (Photo: TU Eindhoven)

A group of TU Eindhoven students is leaving for Juuka, Finland on Monday to attempt to build the biggest bridge of ice ever, if the weather cools down enough, the university announced. This is an international project led by a team from TU/e.

The bridge will be 65 meters long, with a free span of 35 meters and five meters wide. It is based on a design by Leonardo da Vinci for a bridge over the Bosporus that was never built. The bridge is due to be completed by February 13th.

The students will use water with two percent paper fiber added to it for extra strength to build the bridge. They will spray this water mix in thin layers over an inflated balloon that will serve as a mold. If it is cold enough, the water will freeze almost instantly. Once the structure is strong enough, the balloon is removed. The paper fiber that is left behind when the bridge melts in the spring, will be used as compost.

The goal for this project is to show what the material of ice is capable of. Based on the calculations by the TU/e students, they believe it will be strong enough to easily bear the weight of a car. The bridge’s strength will be tested with a car at the opening, after which it will be used by pedestrians. It will also be the main attraction at the ice festival taking place in the Finish town at the same time.

Additional info:
_https://www.tue.nl/en/university/news-and-press/news/22-12-2015-students-heading-for-finland-to-build-largest-ice-bridge-ever/
_http://www.structuralice.com/
_https://www.facebook.com/bridgeinice

Very cool (ha ha)!
The methodology (spray liquid to harden over a form) gives me ideas for similar (small scale) projects but with other materials. I imagine turning trash (for fiber reinforcement) into structural/functional treasure.

Yupo said:
I imagine turning trash (for fiber reinforcement) into structural/functional treasure.

Yupo, I'm not quite sure that I understand what you're trying to achieve but I surmise you would like to read this topic: Earth Sheltered Home Design

This video gives a quick introduction to some of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNHQK-R5Fqw

Amazing, thanks for sharing! I'm always surprised how creative one can be when one forgets 'what cannot be done'!

What I was imagining was sort of a gradual layering of some sort of weather-proof papier mache or foamed and fibered cement for garden support structures, sculptures, etc.

Update about the latest from: _http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2016/02/spring-thaw-halts-eindhoven-students-ice-bridge-project/

Spring thaw halts Eindhoven students’ ice bridge project

February 8, 2016

ice-bridge-560x374.jpg

After working round-the-clock shifts since December, a group of Eindhoven students building the world’s longest ice-bridge in Finland saw their plans come to an abrupt end on Monday morning.

Unexpected warm weather dashed the team’s hopes, as their ambitious project thawed and collapsed. ‘There were no accidents and the situation is under control,’ said the team on their official Facebook page.

‘We’re very disappointed but also glad and proud that we were able to work on the project with so many volunteers, companies and universities,’ said project manager Thijs van de Nieuwenhof.

Da Vinci

The bridge was based on a 16th century design by Leonardo Da Vinci for a bridge over the river Bosporus, which was never used. Da Vinci’s design was too advanced for construction techniques at the time.

Built using around 900 tons of ice and paper fiber, the team hoped to test their bridge’s strength by driving a car over it later this month.

This is the third ‘ice project’ in Finland by students from Eindhoven University of Technology. In 2014, the team built the world’s largest ice dome (30 meters across) and last year the highest – an ice church inspired by the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona.

The sun is entering a solar minimum and there are several recent confirms or reports from NASA scientists confirming that they are seeing unexpected behavior in terms of how rapid the minimum is happening. I dont intend to make this thread in hopes of confirming that there is an Ice Age coming, because this is all expected from what the C's have been telling us. My issue is I don't know what I should be doing in terms of preparations..

I currently live in the northern hemisphere, in Canada, so pretty high up there, and I don't know if I should be considering moving somewhere closer to the equator, or if I should be preparing in any way. My hopes and dreams are that one day I have the means to acquire some land and make it self sustainable and able to fend off any catastrophe that happens, but at this rate I don't know if that is even feasible, the rising cost of living, especially in my city (Vancouver) makes this very hard to accomplish, I am not in the place I want to be yet.

Is anybody else planning or preparing for the cooling period, anybody else apprehensive about it? I am very curious as to what people on this forum, who know whats coming to some extent, are planning for the not so distant future, when all of these things we've been discussing for a long time finally ferment in to reality.

in certain forums it is commented what to do about it ... for example Laura and her family (and many more of those present here in the forum) keep food in jars in case of shortages of edible foods, if nothing happens they simply eat the food before it expires and they go back to doing the process again.
And if ... the most feasible option, although it could be complicated, is to move, although do not expect much security anywhere either.

Last edited:
It seems like there are more articles about it on SOTT. It has been making me a bit apprehensive lately, as in yeah this is really going down. This article shows a timeline near the end of the video:

Adapt 2030 Ice Age Report: Out of season climate chaos -- Sott.net

I'm not in Canada, and don't really have a plan. But some more prepping efforts could be made. It's not something I've done for a while. But like I said, the seeming push in awareness of the Ice Age should make it easier to get some things going. All we can do is our best to meet that future and then just see where that takes us. It's a bit sobering to know what's coming. Just my thoughts on this at the moment.

I don't think there's really anything we can do to prepare, except making peace with our own death. I've always thought of the Ice Age and other climatic (or violent social) change as the End for me, my family and everyone else, except for perhaps the few "lucky" ones.

Other members may have more insight, though.

I don't think Canada would be (is) such a bad place for an ice age. It does have a lot going for it like the infrastructure already in place to deal with changes to cold weather. In the little green rainy place I live, just a snowflake or two and the whole country grinds to a halt. We are doomed big time! :( - You make me wonder though, why closer to the equator? Feel like I've missed out on an important piece of data if utopia exists around 0 degrees latitude?

Back
Top Bottom