Iodine and Potassium Iodide

A bit off topic but I was wondering if someone could help me: the benefits of taking chlorella were discussed earlier in the thread so I took it a couple of times but I had a really bad reaction to it: violent vomiting that started a couple of hours after ingestion (hence I took it a couple of times - I didn't link the reaction to chlorella straight away).

Someone else reported similar problems with chlorella in this thread.

I'm currently eating alfalfa sprouts and taking alfalfa supplements and I wanted to add spirulina to my diet, the C's mentioned this combo in one of the sessions. Since chlorella and spirulina are both algaes, I was wondering if someone had a bad reaction to chlorella but was OK with spirulina?

I'm currently eating alfalfa sprouts and taking alfalfa supplements and I wanted to add spirulina to my diet, the C's mentioned this combo in one of the sessions. Since chlorella and spirulina are both algaes, I was wondering if someone had a bad reaction to chlorella but was OK with spirulina?

People might react less to spirulina than to chlorella, but both have been positive in IgG tests in some folk. So all these health foods aren't always positive for all the population. Some people don't tolerate stuff like ginger which is considered a universal anti-inflammatory. Even though some people do have strong detox reactions, another distinct possibility is that the person doesn't tolerate a certain supplement. Same thing with stevia, some people just don't seem to do well with it despite its "universal" beneficial properties.

Hello Ant22, I am sorry to hear about your reaction you had with the chlorella. I know at least of one or two persons who were not able to tolerate chlorella as well, but were being better off with spirulina. And adding to Gaby's post, I am also wondering, if it may depend on a specific brand of a chlorella product if it is tolerated or not. That may depend on many factors, under which conditions the chlorella has been cultivated, if it is contaminated with other things etc. And I also think, it can depend on the form of chlorella that one takes - i.e. as powder or as tablets.

As goes for my experience, I tried both chlorella and spirulina in tablet form, but found myself to be better off with chlorella; especially as I feel more energy with it. So for me that depends, and so for everybody individually.

Hello Ant22, I am sorry to hear about your reaction you had with the chlorella. I know at least of one or two persons who were not able to tolerate chlorella as well, but were being better off with spirulina. And adding to Gaby's post, I am also wondering, if it may depend on a specific brand of a chlorella product if it is tolerated or not. That may depend on many factors, under which conditions the chlorella has been cultivated, if it is contaminated with other things etc. And I also think, it can depend on the form of chlorella that one takes - i.e. as powder or as tablets.

As goes for my experience, I tried both chlorella and spirulina in tablet form, but found myself to be better off with chlorella; especially as I feel more energy with it. So for me that depends, and so for everybody individually.

I have not tried the chlorella since I found spirulina tablets that seem to work well and the Cs specified spirulina so I just went with that.

I suppose the purity of either one makes a difference and it is not always easy to find the best product.

My local health food store had this brand in 500 mg strength if you would like to try spirulina tablets.

I see they have it in 1000 mg strength which I may try myself since I take 6 tablets about every other day now and the bulk of 6 tablets can annoying.

I have some Now brand chlorella tablets on hand because they're easier than powder. They are a bit iron rich, but I think that if you're taking Iodine regularly, it would be chelating it out.

I’m wondering if someone could point me a direction to answer :
I was diagnosed with Hashimoto last year, the only thing my doctor told me that I could do to prevent symptoms from worsening is to stop eating seaweed and marine alga, but is it really the only thing I can do? In addition, she said that I shouldn’t take too much iodine... now I’m confused, should I stop taking it entirely or should I keep taking it maybe once a week for some benefit? I sometime get goiter when my diet is out of whack so I’m sure that my overall lifestyle is the most important thing to watch out. But, if there is any specific thing I can do to ease the symptom, I would be happy to know.

I post my result - just in case:
FT3 - 2.7
FT4 - 1.34
TSH - 3.57
TgAb - 608.0
TPOAb - 94.9

Sorry if the information is already posted elsewhere, I can’t seem to find it.
Thank you.

now I’m confused, should I stop taking it entirely or should I keep taking it maybe once a week for some benefit?

I would stop taking it. If your lifestyle and diet is stressful, the iodine will only feed the Hashimoto's autoimmune response. You need minerals containing selenium in order to calm down the reaction.

Make sure you stay away from gluten and dairy and see if the antibodies goes down.

Hope you get this under regulation.

And speaking of cost effective, I recently purchased the Carlyle brand of Lugol's and it's the same thing but a good bit cheaper than JCrow. The only problem is that their shipping packaging is rather poor, so one of the two bottles I bought arrived broken. Talked to Amazon via their chat feature and they gave me a full refund, so be aware that there is a potential for that to happen if you go with that brand.
For the tablet equivalent of Lugol's, Dr. Brownstein is fine with Lugo Tabs from Hakala Nutritionals and Iodozyme HP from Biotics Research, in addition to Iodoral.

Dr Brownstein | The Iodoral Shortage
I have tested two other brands of tableted iodine and found them to be good products. Lugo Tabs from Hakala Nutritionals and Iodozyme HP from Biotics Research have both tested well.
I read a review of Lugo Tabs that said it does not have a coating to protect against the bad iodine flavor, whereas Iodoral does have a coating to avoid the flavor.

Dr. Brownstein also suggested not ordering from Amazon because of tampered pills.
One note of caution: There are many companies that sell cheaper versions of a company’s products on web sites like Amazon. I have tested some of these products and found them to be adulterated. Just because they have a company’s label does not mean that a company’s product is in that bottle. When buying a certain company’s product, it is best to buy from a reputable source. In this case, a cheaper version is not always better.

I'm boycotting Amazon due in part to counterfeit and tampered merchandise.

Thank you Gaby!!

I found a bottle of selenium so I'm going to take this (without iodine) for a period of time and see what happens.
And I do react badly to both gluten and dairy so I make sure to be extra careful with diet.

I finally got all the ingredients that I wanted so I made some experiments. What was surprising was to see that the type of starch had a much bigger difference on the color of the iodine-starch complex than the type of iodine. The type of iodine did made a difference, although it was much more visible in corn starch than in potato starch. The potato starch gave a deep blue color while the corn starch gave a clearly visible purple color. The Lugol did gave a slightly different color, but it was not so drastic. However, just to be on the safe side, I still do recommend using the tincture and not the Lugol.

Vitamin C, especially in the form of sodium ascorbate, was a big help for my intestinal problems. But I still wasn't feeling that it was enough to cure me, so now I want to combine it with blue iodine, for which Mohnach praise it exactly for intestinal issues, including Candida. Perhaps together with vitamin C it can be even more powerful.

I managed to finish the translation of Mohnach's third book. I also translated a couple of chapters of the second, but the quality is not so good so you would have to read it in parallel with original to understand it. You can find them here: Jod – Google Drive

Persej,

I appreciate your experimental spirit. I am learning as you learn.

sodium ascorbate

I never knew about this version of vitamin C until you mentioned it.

Some of the Amazon comments were interesting like...

Very cost effective c everyone should keep on hand. This one's buffered. If you need that. I went C crazy and began making and using lipo c AND lipo glutathione. But I lipo'd this c and organic acerola food based powders. I also used Life Extension's c & Mercola's lipo c. So, I ganged up on as many bio available forms as I could afford. Surprising results. Especially the eyes. Sinuses. Three troubling, recurring aches disappeared and there's a general overall lift. Dr. Andrew Saul ain't kidding. No matter what the ailment, c to bowel tolerance has improved or erased it.

Chlorine remover extraordinaire. I am a part time swim instructor and although I love teaching kids how to swim, I HATE that my skin always reeked of chlorine. No matter how soon after getting out of the water you shower, you still end up smelling like chlorine. That's because it absorbs into your skin and doesn't actually "wash" away with soap. Also over time it builds up on your skin and can cause swimmers itch/rash. This is an absolute must have for me any time I'm going in the water. The vitamin C binds with the chlorine and actually rinses off your body. The main reason you can't buy a spray commercially is the effectiveness is short lived. I use one tablespoon per 8 oz of water. for use in a 24 hour period. If it's more than a day, I make a new spray. It's so wonderful to not smell like chlorine anymore. If you have sensitive skin, swim often, or just hate the smell of chlorine, I recommend giving this a try.

Very good quality. I used it topically to treat a skin cancer and it destroyed the bad cells. I also took it orally to boost my immune system, very good results fighting some ancillary infection. The body has a hard time absorbing ascorbic acid, to assimilate vitamin C it should be a mineralized powder, as is the L-Sodium Ascorbate here. Great for fighting colds. I've been using Now Foods products for years and most of their products are exceptional.

I have the ascorbic acid C to finish using but this sounds interesting. I also bought some of Mercola's Liposomal C thinking it might be better and it's easier for taking on trips etc..

Thanks for sharing. :thup:

I appreciate your experimental spirit. I am learning as you learn.

Thank you. Hopefully, we will all learn something useful from this. :-)

Last night I learned that I had to change my method of cooking the starch, because potato starch has a lower gelatinization temperature than corn starch. I had to throw away several batches, but in the end I got almost what I wanted. Next time I will try to make it even better, but this also works for now. It was very interesting to see how the tincture behaves when put in starch. I already mentioned this, but it never stops to fascinate me. While with Lugol it looks like a normal chemical reaction, with tincture it looks like some kind of electrical reaction. At one point it even started spinning clockwise, without me doing any mixing.

The bad news is that it has worse taste and smell than with Lugol, so now I understand why Mohnach decided to add sugar to it. I didn't add sugar this time, but perhaps in the future I could try adding some xylitol.

I never knew about this version of vitamin C until you mentioned it.

It was mentioned before in the vitamin C thread, where the general conclusion was that the ascorbic acid is more powerful. However, there are two reasons why I switched to ascorbate. First, because ascorbate is more slowly absorbed by our body, it remains in our intestines for a longer time, i.e. it travels deeper, so for the purpose of killing bad bugs in our intestines it's a much better choice. Especially if you drink it as first thing in the morning. And second, I could drink much higher amounts of it than I could with pure ascorbic acid. AA is simply not very palatable for me in high amounts.

I have the ascorbic acid C to finish using but this sounds interesting.

You can make it just by adding some baking soda to it. And the best part of making it at home is that you can choose how much baking soda you want to use. If you use it in a 2:1 ratio, you will convert all of AA to SA. But if you use higher ratio, like 3:1, certain amount of AA will remain in your drink and give it a slightly sour taste. Which is exactly how I like it because it makes it a very tasty drink for me, better than both pure AA or SA.

But now I want to use it also as a pre-treatment for blue iodine. Something like these guys did for their anti-biofilm protocol: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5319976/

Hi Persej, have you done any research about Iodine-starch complexes? In case you did it, I want to mention that if the starch starts to be digested then you have the release of I3 - and I5 - (the same Lugol's) in the digestive system. If the starch degradation is very fast, which is probable, then it is as though you were ingesting Lugol's. The only utility I see for this way of ingesting iodine is that if the carbohydrate that you are using is a bit difficult to attack by the enzymes, then the iodine has the chance to be released maybe in parts of the digestive systems which Lugol's can't reach. I will be interesting to try with different types of starch which will change the rate of liberation of iodine and the place of the system which iodine can reach.

Back
Top Bottom