Is it too late to start a university degree? And is there any point?

Great video! Very informative and densely packed. I like videos where you may have to pause / skip back / slow down, as opposed to videos that don't get to the point.

I thought sometimes there were a bit like some loose ends like at 4:10 "..are typical seasonal", the context wasn't clear to me. It probably meant they are not naturally consumed throughout the year(?)

I agree that maybe the light and background could be improved (but I didn't notice the light when I watched it first).

As Pierre said, the balance between between very basic explanations (i.e. the 'magnet') and more elaborate diagrams later on is a bit 'wide'. Not sure if this is a problem. I personally as a viewer would just pick up what fits my level of knowledge.

Good job! Overall I agree with the suggestions, although it can be a matter of personal taste sometimes.
Making them shorter would be a plus, IMO, and also, perhaps getting a better microphone? You sound a bit like you are shouting, instead of being a "relaxed authority". ;-) From remembering how you sound in real life, I suspect you had to raise you voice quite a bit in order for the microphone to pick up the sound.

I like how you try to simplify things, make analogies, etc. Very promising!

:clap:
I'm glad you're making vids, because I really liked your overall presentation/feel on the Health & Wellness vid a few weeks back.

Now, I'm a bit of a rebel, but I do have about 28k subscribers on YT, so I must know something... :shock: Or not. Take this FWIW:

Content (most important): Say something interesting. You've got that part down pat. There is no such thing as a perfect presentation. Too short, too long, too many graphics, too few graphics, etc... Everyone will never be happy. Get used to it. As long as viewership is increasing, you're doing it right. If your goal is to become famous, make short stupid videos about nothing. If your goal is to inform/help, make videos you are proud of and happy with in terms of content.

If you're funny, then be funny. If you're serious, then be serious. The more "you" you are, the better. That comes through on video in body language, and you will look more comfortable, natural, and authoritative.

Don't try to predict that something will be popular. You'll be wrong. It's organic, so just do your thing and see what happens. Adjust course when it seems like a good idea. NEVER skip a certain topic because other people have done it. Do your own, and do it better in some way.

Keep in mind that every 24 hours, 45 YEARS of video is uploaded to YT (I'm not kidding). But there is always something you know that no one else does, or a way you can explain things that no one else can. Just do your thing and let the chips fall where they may. If people like something, give them more - but only so long as you don't sell your soul or sacrifice talking about other things.

Length: Don't worry about it at first.

The people who like your content will watch anyway. Many will complain that , "You are a big fat loser because this video could have been 3 minutes long instead of 15!" Those people will never shut up, so if your viewership is increasing, then the length is fine.

Audio/Visual Quality: Good enough is good enough at first. Sound is more important.

Your audio is nice and clear. Statistically, that's more important than perfect lighting and all that. Definitely remove the clock. Backgrounds are very hard. So is lighting. I'm no Hollywood director, but overall your face looks good to me, even if it is a bit yellowy. If fancy lights aren't in the budget, try using a filter in your vid editing software. Mine has an "auto white balance" feature with a dropper tool where you can click on something white in the vid and it'll correct white balance/color a bit. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't. There is also usually a color balance tool that you can apply to the video. Despite the yellow tint, it's still relatively good lighting.

Disclaimer: I suck at lighting, and shooting videos, and audio half the time.

Comments: Positive comments are rare.

Negative comments are the norm. You're too fat, too skinny, stop smacking your lips, goddam I hate your left ear you dirty monkey, you should have dark hair, your left eye is 2mm lower than your right eye, you smell bad, get out of your mother's basement you loser, and my personal favorite: You have no idea what you're talking about. Here's the truth: [proceeds to say exactly what you just said in your video]. :ohboy:

Positivity is an extremely rare commodity these days. DO NOT respond to trolls. This is hard. It's also useful because that's hard to do!
DO respond to positive comments, like, heart comments, etc.

So, there you have it. :cheer:

Watched it all! :cool:

The video series, who do you want to be the ultimate audience? I'll assume as great a number of people as possible, that includes people who may not be interested in nutrition per se but who your video may pop up in their recommendations.

I have feedback based on the above assumption:-

- The actual content was great, lots of stuff I didn't actually know and also lots of stuff that sort of goes against conventional nutritional advice. So content is spot on, though I suppose in the middle of the lecture it's quite heavy and technical that a lay person may get somewhat lost between the various terminologies and mechanisms you're describing.

- Given that it's quite heavy on content, the content will probably be new to majority of people who don't have your background and it's quite technical I would suggest having a ' dual - video ' system at some point in the future.

- To explain the above point, you can have a 'Did you know series' for example that's more short / snazzy and sweet where you just hit the audience with fun facts that they may not have known or questions that will challenge their current conventional nutritional wisdom. With some fancy editing, some graphics, perhaps humour you can capture attention quickly and deliver high impactful information within a short space of time. During the videos, for those so inclined, you can sign post them to the longer lectures where they can delve deeper into the content and essentially add flesh to the bones of the shorter videos.

e.g. on the Plant Toxins series, you can have a series of 'Did you know' shorter videos where you challenge conventional wisdom or deliver fun yet curious facts that the average lay audience wouldn't have known about. I imagine if such a video pops up on someones feed, if lets say its 4 - 5 minutes long, they are likely to click on it and if it piques their interest they will then explore your channel more and might find other fun 'Did you know?' videos or longer lectures.

- Also, I think you should have a trailer video for each series you produce so that someone can get a high level view of what the series is about before jumping into the particular episodes.

- On the actual video you've produced, being a lay person, I would say to add a bit of an introduction before 'jumping in' and at the end to have a bit of a 'wrap up' i.e. 'the main points to take away from this lecture are a,b,c and so on'. Also I think you need to find something to sneak in the middle of the lectures where it's becoming too heavy as this is the point people's attention span starts to waver.

- Lastly, it's quite technical and I for one didn't know the meaning of some of the words you were using so I think you can either minimise the number of technically difficult words or you can define them as you go along (though this may act to increase the length of videos!).

Either way, I thought it was an interesting and captivating lecture - though I'm not 100% sure what the main takeaways were (but I know I'll be searching for foods that are low on oxalates :-P).

Ps, the above feedback is with the assumption that the video was aimed at a layperson.

Either way, I thought it was an interesting and captivating lecture - though I'm not 100% sure what the main takeaways were (but I know I'll be searching for foods that are low on oxalates :-P).

Thank you for sharing your video, I learned a thing! I agree with BobDylan, it would be great to have an introduction. Perhaps with bullet points as to the main benefits of watching the video.

Something like: by the end of this video you will know what Oxolates are, why they do x, y and z and what you can do to avoid that. I think that would keep the viewer interested and keep them watching.

I think summarising at the end is useful too, because most people will remember the main takeaway points and that's the information they will share with other people (and then hopefully recommend you as the source of information).

For better lighting, you can pick up a ring light/white backdrop from Ebay pretty cheap if that's accessible to you.

Great job!

Something like: by the end of this video you will know what Oxolates are, why they do x, y and z and what you can do to avoid that. I think that would keep the viewer interested and keep them watching.

I think summarising at the end is useful too

I second these ideas. It helps prevent information overload and would make it more accessible for people - especially considering that you are capable of conveying a LOT of information in one go, and not everyone has Keyhole-Class Information Processors in their noggins.
;-D

:clap:
I'm glad you're making vids, because I really liked your overall presentation/feel on the Health & Wellness vid a few weeks back.

Now, I'm a bit of a rebel, but I do have about 28k subscribers on YT, so I must know something... :shock: Or not. Take this FWIW:

Content (most important): Say something interesting. You've got that part down pat. There is no such thing as a perfect presentation. Too short, too long, too many graphics, too few graphics, etc... Everyone will never be happy. Get used to it. As long as viewership is increasing, you're doing it right. If your goal is to become famous, make short stupid videos about nothing. If your goal is to inform/help, make videos you are proud of and happy with in terms of content.

If you're funny, then be funny. If you're serious, then be serious. The more "you" you are, the better. That comes through on video in body language, and you will look more comfortable, natural, and authoritative.

Don't try to predict that something will be popular. You'll be wrong. It's organic, so just do your thing and see what happens. Adjust course when it seems like a good idea. NEVER skip a certain topic because other people have done it. Do your own, and do it better in some way.

Keep in mind that every 24 hours, 45 YEARS of video is uploaded to YT (I'm not kidding). But there is always something you know that no one else does, or a way you can explain things that no one else can. Just do your thing and let the chips fall where they may. If people like something, give them more - but only so long as you don't sell your soul or sacrifice talking about other things.

Length: Don't worry about it at first.

The people who like your content will watch anyway. Many will complain that , "You are a big fat loser because this video could have been 3 minutes long instead of 15!" Those people will never shut up, so if your viewership is increasing, then the length is fine.

Audio/Visual Quality: Good enough is good enough at first. Sound is more important.

Your audio is nice and clear. Statistically, that's more important than perfect lighting and all that. Definitely remove the clock. Backgrounds are very hard. So is lighting. I'm no Hollywood director, but overall your face looks good to me, even if it is a bit yellowy. If fancy lights aren't in the budget, try using a filter in your vid editing software. Mine has an "auto white balance" feature with a dropper tool where you can click on something white in the vid and it'll correct white balance/color a bit. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't. There is also usually a color balance tool that you can apply to the video. Despite the yellow tint, it's still relatively good lighting.

Disclaimer: I suck at lighting, and shooting videos, and audio half the time.

Comments: Positive comments are rare.

Negative comments are the norm. You're too fat, too skinny, stop smacking your lips, goddam I hate your left ear you dirty monkey, you should have dark hair, your left eye is 2mm lower than your right eye, you smell bad, get out of your mother's basement you loser, and my personal favorite: You have no idea what you're talking about. Here's the truth: [proceeds to say exactly what you just said in your video]. :ohboy:

Positivity is an extremely rare commodity these days. DO NOT respond to trolls. This is hard. It's also useful because that's hard to do!
DO respond to positive comments, like, heart comments, etc.

So, there you have it. :cheer:

I fully second what Scottie wrote here. I have a small techie YT channel I started as an experiment (50k views) and one thing I noticed is that you really need to put your soul out there, you. It won't generate massive views and won't make you money (at least not for a long time), but some people are starving out there for authentic YouTubers, warts and all, that they can connect to. I received some very touching and lovely comments and emails, that should be reward enough...

So, as tempting as it is, don't allow your mind to wander in the "how can I become popular? What will generate clicks? How can I earn more money?" direction. It's damn hard because the whole system is designed to make you think in that direction! I've fallen into that trap a few times and it doesn't even work and just makes me feel empty. So IMO the best approach is to always ask yourself: "How can I help this person sitting there, watching this video? How can I improve his or her life in a meaningful way?"

FWIW

I like the video a lot Keyhole! :rockon: Many people prefer watching videos to reading articles so you now have content to target both audiences with.

- On the actual video you've produced, being a lay person, I would say to add a bit of an introduction before 'jumping in' and at the end to have a bit of a 'wrap up' i.e. 'the main points to take away from this lecture are a,b,c and so on'. Also I think you need to find something to sneak in the middle of the lectures where it's becoming too heavy as this is the point people's attention span starts to waver.

I like the idea of a summary too. There's a rule in my industry that when you design training you "tell them what you're about to tell them, then you tell them, and at the end you tell them what you're told them". It's not always useful, but if a topic is interesting to the audience I think it works well. If a video is longer, stating the objective and main "learning points" at the beginning gives viewers more motivation to keep watching as they know what to expect.

I also wanted to add, I hope vegans won't try to virtually stone you for saying there's anything wrong with plants. ;-) They sometimes post under Mikhaila Peterson's videos telling her she's going to ruin her health if she doesn't change her diet :lol:

Very nice, you will only absorb what people have said to further master what you are doing. It is dynamic with the subject and audience, so it will change as you feel the need. :thup:

I was struck by the needle-like Oxalate and how it builds up in areas of the body - it is almost exactly needle-like of some types of Asbestos that work their way into lung tissue.

Great job Elliot! I think for the most part, the vid is great as it is. Little tweaks like background and lighting can be played with, but I think the content was great - very educational! I agree that summary points at the end would be helpful, especially when you're covering a lot of material.

Keep at it - you're a natural!

I thought it was a bit odd when you described the type of oxalate problem caused by "dysbiosis" without mentioning this is what you meant earlier when describing the bacteria which break down oxalate being wiped out by antibiotics. Drawing attention to the fact that they are the same idea would help viewers be engaged and connect the dots.

Back
Top Bottom