What is your actual routine? And your ideal routine?

Hi Aiming,

We ordered it from France, it's this: 1 litre - Hypertonique - Bouteille en verre - OdeVie - Plasma de Quinton

It hasn't arrived yet though, so I can't say whether it's any good.
It seems a good brand, as they collect it from a vortex.
The one from Sea aqua cell* is from Odemer, they collect near the coastline and by trucks, i.e. not deeply and not far with boats.

That's good to know, thank you! I was reading the respective thread awhile back and wasn't sure yet which one to buy and had planned to reread the different recommendations, so that helps a lot. :-)

Thank you for sharing Starshine, and also Chu for your '2 cents', very valuable indeed! I will try to do just that and see how this evolves...

I wish to register my appreciation for this thread. I have found switching to a 'done list' from a 'to do' list really helpful. I still have a 'to do' list but now have it split into different sections e.g. daily chores, miscellaneous things to get done when I manage to get to them, people I need to apologise to, and so on. Each day I write down the daily chores as I do them and I have been much more self-disciplined in this regard recently. Any additional things I do get written down too. I have found that this works much better for my temperament than the long 'to do' list I was using before. Now, instead of feeling overwhelmed and demotivated I feel encouraged by each thing I get done and that helps me to do the next thing. By only aiming to do a handful of things each day I find that I am not asking too much of myself and dooming myself to failure where I won't do any of them. Most days I do the majority of them and I am now feeling that I could add one or two more daily activities to the list without it all falling apart.

For context, I should mention that for the last twenty years or so I have lived a completely routine-less lifestyle due to mental health issues/not working. As a result, I have lacked the structure that the typical person builds their life around. Every day and every moment is the same as every other and I have struggled to do even the most basic tasks. I may have only taken baby steps recently but for me, this is a huge change. Instead of feeling totally overwhelmed by life and unable to cope, just doing a few things every day has made me feel like I can actually cope and handle this life business. I still have a very long way to go but I actually have hope again after a very long time without it. This thread played its part in that so thank you :hug2: .

Every day and every moment is the same as every other and I have struggled to do even the most basic tasks. I may have only taken baby steps recently but for me, this is a huge change.

Congratulation, strategic enclosure! I concur, the first step is the biggest of them all. Baby steps, and off you go. Over time you will find that it’s getting easier and the steps will get bigger.

Upwards and onwards!

Thank you nicklebleu :-) indeed it is. Some days I struggle all day to get my small list of daily chores done. Other days I get them done in no time and then wonder 'what's next?'. This happened yesterday and I managed to sort out a pile of books that had been on my mind to do for some weeks. Then my parents came round so I had a lovely few hours with them.

P.S. I have only just grokked your username: Nick the blue. That makes much more sense than the 'something to do with Nickelback, possibly' username I had thought it to be :-[.

For context, I should mention that for the last twenty years or so I have lived a completely routine-less lifestyle due to mental health issues/not working. As a result, I have lacked the structure that the typical person builds their life around. Every day and every moment is the same as every other and I have struggled to do even the most basic tasks. I may have only taken baby steps recently but for me, this is a huge change. Instead of feeling totally overwhelmed by life and unable to cope, just doing a few things every day has made me feel like I can actually cope and handle this life business. I still have a very long way to go but I actually have hope again after a very long time without it. This thread played its part in that so thank you :hug2: .

Wow, congratulations! I'm very happy for you. And now that you have proof that you CAN do, things will probably get better and better. When YOU make the choices so that life doesn't overwhelm you, you are able not only to cope, but to understand that the choice is always yours. So, gogogo! It doesn't matter how long it takes, enjoy the process, be proud of yourself, and you'll see that you can do more and more with time.

If you are interested, I think these two books are quite good for incorporating ideas into new routines, and for enforcing the understanding that you decide what habits you create and how:

Making Habits, Breaking Habits (by Jeremy Dean)
The Power of Habit (by Charles Duhigg)

Thank you so much Chu, both for your very kind words and encouragement, and for the thoughtful book recommendations. I shall certainly give them some careful consideration :hug2: .

I don't know how useful this can be to you, Starshine, but because I have a tendency to "gogogogo" and never stop, I've recently been trying to rework priorities and be a bit more efficient if I can, while making sure I pace myself better and take time to read, learn, etc. It is based on a tip that Stephen Covey gives in The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People (it's available in French too). It is simple, really, he basically divides tasks and activities as shown in this image:

2b4bf574f3d3af7d4ad624b8c21a3a61.jpg

Here is another example, with more focus on the type of people who would tend towards one quadrant or the other:

Naturally, he then suggests focusing on the top 2 quadrants (especially the Important-Not Urgent one, since that is what often gets neglected because it doesn't involve immediate gratification, urgency, etc., and it often gets boycotted by the introject, insecurities, laziness, etc.).

So, for tasks I want to accomplish, I've made my own list, with the 4 quadrants full of things I have to do, but it has helped me prioritize. I regularly have to do the "Not Important" stuff too, but it helps me make sure that I don't only do that during the day, and always do something from the top two quadrants no matter what. It has to be flexible, as you said, and once you create a new habit, you don't necessarily need to write some things down, but maybe it can give you an idea or two.

I read the book so long ago, that I don't remember much, but it occurred to me that it would be worth a try. So far, so good.:-)

My 2 cents!

I've just started reading this book, and I have to say it's much better than the titel implies. There's almost an 'Gurdjieffian flavor' in the way the author thinks. I liked the idea, that I'm reading about right now in the book, of writing your own 'constitution' from the perspective of what you'd like people to say about you at your own funeral. I think I'm going to give it a shot.

From what I've read so far, I highly recommend this book.

I thought 'Covey's quadrants that were posted above were quite brilliant, but I couldn't find any high quality versions to print out. So, I made my own...combining the two. You can find it as a PDF and PNG file attached to this post.

I can make changes and additions if you come up with good suggestions.

Attachments

• Covey's-quadrants-PNG.png
    Covey's-quadrants-PNG.png
    852.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Covey's-quadrants-1.pdf
    89.2 KB · Views: 14
Back
Top Bottom