4 Russian movies: Attraction, Invasion, The Blackout, Coma

Color

Jedi Council Member
Hope it's ok to open one thread for this four movies, since they are all pretty new and 3 of them are about the same topic (aliens, plus one is a sequel) while 'Coma' is also quite unusual. Thought it might be more practical to have them all in one place since Russian movies aren't so popular and people can find out about them easily this way, if that is OK with moderators.

I watched all four of them within the last month and was pleasantly surprised. None of them is a masterpiece but the CGI is as good as in any Hollywood blockbuster and stories are way more interesting. What I find lacking is character development, it's almost nonexistent, they all relay heavily on just going through the story with a good measure of action. It's impossible to connect with any of the characters, they are all just a tool serving the plot. But still, stories are interesting enough to keep you engaged.

The directing also leaves a lot to be desired, in fact- I thought all four were done by the same person (which turned out not to be true!) cause of the same mistakes presenting themselves - strange cutting of the scenes which are important and then strange choice of scenes to be filmed in the first place, some of them way too long and not adding anything to the story, making movies unnecessary long. To be fair, maybe editing, post-production can be blamed for some of those choices, not just directors.

On the positive side- they do bring something new into this genre of alien's occupation, that was a refreshing surprise cause I was so sick of it all, didn't expect something new to be told! I do recommend all four movies, if nothing else as a break from latest Netflix and Hollywood crap.

Attraction (2017) and it's sequel Invasion (2020) should be watched in order cause otherwise the Invasion one makes no sense! This two are of lowest quality story wise, but still present some interesting ideas.
Attraction (2017)
An alien spaceship, following an accident in space, enters the earth atmosphere and being damaged by Russian fighter jets, crash lands in a populated area of Moscow taking a few hundred human lives in the crash. A school girl saves the life of one of the aliens and together must deal with humans who intend them harm.

Invasion (2020)
With the fall of the alien ship Julia's life changed, now three years later mankind is about to experience new encounter.

The Blackout (2019) I enjoyed the most, CGI, some scenes and twists are quite the masterpiece! But actors often look like emotionless robots...
The Blackout (2019)
No meteorites hit Earth, no terrorists put the world in danger, no atomic war was started, but something did go wrong. Contact between most towns on Earth has been severed. A small ring-like area in Eastern Europe still has electricity, and maybe even life is being reported from the Space. What military forces find outside the Ring is shocking. There are dead corpses everywhere: in stores, in cars, on roads, in hospitals and railway stations. Who or what is destroying all life on Earth? How long will the last outpost of mankind survive?

Coma (2019) I saw today and leading role is the same actor from Attraction & Invasion, which is a pity imho. Ladies may find him cute but guy couldn't act if his life depended on it. He somewhat fit in previous movies in his role of the emotionless alien, but here it doesn't work. Story is interesting (Matrix and Inception mix) and well thought through, CGI great, but again- unnecessary too long.
Coma (2019)
After a mysterious accident a young architect comes back to his senses in a very odd world. He must find out the exact laws and regulations of it as he fights for his life and keeps on looking for the exit to the real world.

Back
Top Bottom