50 and counting CEOs and CFOs have resigned in the past two months.

Arctodus

Jedi
I wasn't sure if this should go here or into Conspiracy Theory.

_http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message981908/pg1

GLP is mostly fluff and has a lot of "noise", but this thread is for lack of a better term, a red flag.

Started by TEOTWAWKI, it goes on for quite a bit. These resignations are often sudden, for "personal reasons" and most suspiciously, with little indication where these top echelon guys are going next.

I'm freaking. I can't remember this many heads resigning unexpectedly in such a short period.

Most notably are telecoms, banks and energy companies. People who would have insider knowledge if something huge were about to happen.

Please add any more you can find here. I stopped at 50 just to get it posted, but there are more, including lots of board members and other executives.

1. Sun Microsystems
2. Royal Bank of Scotland
3. Bank Leumi of Israel
4. Lenovo
5. Wellpoint (on March 1)
6. Ingersoll-Rand
7. Gasco
8. Syntel
9. Motion Picture Television Fund
10. GrainCorp
11. Connaught Plc
12. Netplay TV
13. AgResearch
14. Zain Telecom
15. Ethan Allen Institute
16. Fahrney-Keedy Home & Village
17. Nordzucker
18. France Telecom
19. TransWorld Entertainment
20. Parlux
21. Medical Developments International Ltd
22. PBR (on March 1)
23. Aeropostale
24. Cook Islands Tourism
25. Uranium International Corp
26. San Francisco AIDS Foundation
27. Borders Books
28. YTB International
29. Western Australia Business News
30. Bergen Group Rosenberg
31. Phumelela
32. Bartow Regional Medical Center
33. NV Energy (CFO)
34. Shanda Interactive
35. NB Power
36. Empire Aero
37. Argentina Central Bank
38. Hong Kong Exchanges & Clearing (CFO)
39. Arbitron
40. Lihir Gold Ltd
41. Meredith Corp
42. Red Bull
43. Golden Harp
44. Endo Pharma
45. Nuplex
46. CLICO
47. Mirada (chairman)
48. Remedial Offshore
49. Abercrombie & Fitch Co
50. Commerce Resources (CFO)

Something's up.

Hi Arctodus,

Why would you consider it as a red flag? What are his/her sources? None are given so it makes me wonder what his/her motives are. Looks like troll activity to me.

Edit - Spelling

Well the Thread goes on for quite a bit. This poster, "joyfulheart" decided to look into 25 of them. This is on page three of the thread. Other posters are chipping in here and there with their own found examples. The thread is very long and chaotic, but it is quite interesting. That is why I did not write this off as troll activity.

Ok, being suspicious, I decided to start verifying these. Here's the first 25... maybe someone else can do the rest???

1. Sun Microsystems-- CEO J Schwartz 1/28/2010

2. Royal Bank of Scotland – 12/6/2009 -- 1000 bankers quit and went to rival banks for more pay/bonuses
[link to business.timesonline.co.uk]

3. Bank Leumi of Israel – 1/24/2010 Chairman quit to “do other things”

4. Lenovo – 2/5/10 CEO quit after the outfit announced a $96.7 million quarterly loss

5. Wellpoint (on March 1) Chairman to retire, CEO takes place.

6. Ingersoll-Rand – 2/10/2010 CEO retires

7. Gasco – 2.1.2010 Mark Erickson Resigns as CEO, President and Director

8. Syntel --- 02/02.2010 Syntel CEO resigns; company names director as CEO

9. Motion Picture Television Fund – 02/03/2010-- Dr. David Tillman has resigned as president and CEO

10. GrainCorp – 01/28/2010 -- IN A SHOCK move GrainCorp managing director Mark Irwin has suddenly resigned from the company.

11. Connaught Plc – 01/29/2010 -- CEO Mark Davies Plans To Leave At End Of Current Financial Year - Quick Facts

12. Netplay TV – 1/29/2010 Finance Director Halverson Resigns Due To Head Office Relocation

13. AgResearch – 2/4/2010 Chief Andrew West today announced his intention to resign as chief executive of state-owned science company AgResearch Ltd, with effect from June 30.

14. Zain Telecom – 2/3/2010 -- chief executive officer of Kuwait's Zain telecom giant, Saad al-Barrak, has resigned, the company said in a statement posted on the Kuwait Stock Exchange website on Wednesday.
The statement said Barrak has submitted his resignation to the board of directors, which will meet to consider it. No reason was given for the surprising move.

15. Ethan Allen Institute – 2/3/2010 ... Rick Bornemann, selected in August as president of the Ethan Allen Institutein Vermont, stepped down for personal reasons

16. Fahrney-Keedy Home & Village -- Jan 18, 2010 ... Jay Shell, president and CEO of Fahrney-Keedy Home & Village for the past five years, resigned effective Jan. 15

17. Nordzucker -- Jan 29, 2010 ... The chief executive of German sugar refiner Nordzucker has resigned from his post as a result of "differences of opinion"

18. France Telecom – CEO resigns 02/02/2010

19. TransWorld Entertainment -- ( February 3, 2010 ) Trans World Entertainment announced Wednesday that Jim Litwak, president and COO, has resigned, effective Feb. 16.

20. Parlux -- Jan 29, 2010 ... Neil J. Katz resigned Tuesday as chairman and chief executive officer ofParlux Fragrances Inc. because of differences with the board

21. Medical Developments International Ltd – 02/02/2010 Medical Developments International Ltd advised that Chris Rossidis has resigned as chief executive officer.

22. PBR (on March 1) CEO effective March 1 to accept a leadership position with the IRL

23. Aeropostale -- Feb 4, 2010 ... BRIEF-Aeropostale CEO to resign

24. Cook Islands Tourism -- Jan 20, 2010 ... RAROTONGA, Cook Islands ---- Cook Islands Tourism chief executive John Dean handed in his resignation last week

25. Uranium International Corp DENVER, Jan. 29 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Uranium International Corp. (“Uranium International”) (OTC Bulletin Board: URNI) has accepted the resignation of Marek J. Kreczmer as CEO and a member of the board effective January 28, 20

*I forgot to add, from about page six onwards, it really picks up steam! The reports of resignations come in fast and furious.

Could be that the end of year financial figures are in and those who aren't extracting enough money from the masses are told to "resign". :)

This reminded me the last ALTA report from Clif High. Allthough there is no such revolution is going on (as far as I know :/ )

[quote author=ALTA report by Clif High]

These data sets continue to point to [incidents] in
which [revolutionary actions] will [liberate] many [deeply held secrets] of
[officialdom] that will in turn lead to the [resignation] and [elimination] of
numbers of [high level minions] in both the [civil service class of minion] as
well as the [political class of minion].
[/quote]

If true, sounds like rats fleeing a sinking ship. Might be interesting to see if it is a portent of the next installment in the fall of the US economy.

Maybe they are retiring to their underground mansions :)

Seriously, maybe statistically this isn't that much different than other years? That information could set this in more perspective.

Perceval said:
If true, sounds like rats fleeing a sinking ship. Might be interesting to see if it is a portent of the next installment in the fall of the US economy.

Yes and this fall might actually apply to the whole world economy.

I found this resignations list interesting because in the last LIESI report a whole paragraph is dedicated to the recent massive sale of stock options by the top managers of major French companies. Here's a quick translation of the relevant excerpt:

LIESI said:
On the 11Th of December, Jean René Fourtou, board member of Sanofi-Adventis – and also president of Vivendi – exercised his right to purchase 234782 shares thanks to his stock options and sold back those shares the very same day with a very narrow profit. The president of Danone group (French manager having the highest wage according to Challenge magazine) exercised 329310 stock-options on the 14Th of December and sold them the very same day. BNP Paribas leaders also seemed to be in a rush, Michel Pébereau, president of the bank, exercised 791000 stock-options on the 15Th of December and quickly sold 62000 more five days later. His right hand, Baudoin Prot sold back 80% of his 47300 stock-options 4 days after receiving them. In Thales [ex-Thomson] a member of the executive committee sold his 10500 shares the day he received them. In Christian Dior (Arnault-LVMH group), the CEO and one board member have also sold more than 80% of the shares they purchased a few days earlier. Same story in Bouygues, where two board members immediately sold 90% of their options. Also in Total, where a member of the executive committee sold 100% over 5 days the 40000 shares he had just received.

Noticing this major selling trend amongst top leaders, LIESI concludes:

Surely, those maneuvers don't reflect the perspectives of an economic recovery but confirm our certainties: we are at dawn of a new stock collapse

Sounds to me like they are all exercising ways and means to suck even more money out of their companies without actually getting a "bonus" that would raise the eyebrows of the public. After all, when people resign/retire, they get significant chunks of change. They can always quietly "rejoin the force" after a short vacation. Same with the buying and selling of stock options - a way to put money in the pocket, generate certain activity on the books, without raising eyebrows.

:scared:

This is probably a normal number of retiring CEOs and CFOs, considering their are tens of thousands of companies worldwide. Most of the companies listed are small fry, of little consequence. This is a shout about nothing, maintaining the contagion of anxiety in the flock.

As everyone who takes this forum seriously probably knows there are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics.

Forbes said:
http://www.forbes.com/2008/03/07/executive-ceo-tenure-lead-manage-cx_mk_0307turnover.html

CEO Turnover Increased In 2007
Matthew Kirdahy, 03.07.08, 2:15 PM ET

It's still early, but turnover among the nation's chief executives may not turn out as badly this year as it did in 2007, when it seemed there was a high-profile boss making headlines every couple weeks.

According to new research, CEO departures at the world's 500 largest revenue-producing companies increased 10% in 2007 from the previous year to a total of 27, as reported by ReputationRX, the corporate-research arm of Weber Shandwick. North American CEO departures increased 50% year over year, although they haven't quite hit levels seen two years ago. In 2005, 34 CEOs in North America left their posts.

Leslie Gaines-Ross, chief reputation strategist at Weber Shandwick, said stagnant markets, fierce competition and a complex business environment heated the C-suite seats.
In Pictures: The CEO Shuffle

"Just as CEOs receive most of the credit when things go right," she said, "they are expected to accept the majority of the blame when things go wrong."

Last year, some of the infamous C-suite talents were in the banking and financial services industries. For example, Stanley O'Neal of Merrill Lynch (nyse: MER - news - people ) and Charles Prince III of Citigroup (nyse: C - news - people ) were casualties of the subprime mortgage crisis that resulted in the loss of tens of billions of dollars for their organizations.

In other sectors, shareholders pushed Terry Semel out the door at Yahoo! (nasdaq: YHOO - news - people ), while Ed Zander bit the dust at Motorola (nyse: MOT - news - people ) in the second half of the year.

"I think the bulk of all leaders are trying to do the right thing," said Mark Mactas, CEO and chairman of management consulting firm Towers Perrin.

He said each business didn't get bruised because of one man or his inability to prudently manage risk. However, someone always has to take the fall. The mistakes made in 2007 won't be repeated, but corporate America will most certainly face another crisis; that's just part of the cycle. Maybe the next time around, big-business leaders will just do a better job of assessing risk.

Exits as a result of poor performance are defined by the report as a "non-traditional" reason for a CEO departure. Over the past three years, the world's largest company CEOs continued leaving office primarily due to "traditional" reasons, such as succession planning or reaching the mandatory retirement age, the study said.

In 2007, 32% of CEOs left "against their will," versus 28% in 2006. The North American CEO departure rate was 37%, compared with Europe (32%) and Asia Pacific (24%).

It's probably no shock, then, that tenure for the North American CEO is on a downward trend.

The average tenure of a global chief who left office in 2007 was 6 years, down from 6.5 years in 2006. North American CEOs' tenure dropped to 6.8 years from 8.6 years. In the Asia Pacific region, CEO tenure increased to 5.7 years from 4.3, while Europe's C-suite activity remained stable.

Elisabeth Marx of the leadership consulting firm Heidrick & Struggles said it's likely the trend of a shortened term for CEOs in the U.S., as well as Europe, will continue, depending on how the markets develop.

The men and women in these jobs have spent most of their time in the hot seat because of increased visibility in the media, she said.

"I would argue that we need to look at what tenure makes sense to produce [an acceptable] performance," Marx said.

She argued that people with a vested interested in a corporate leader's performance are impatient. After all, the CEO isn't the only one making the decision.
Emphasis is mine.

OK, in 6 years there are 72 months. For the sake of the argument I will "assume" that the tenure for a CFO is the same. Ignoring board members and only concentrating on CEOs and CFOs, to get a turnover of 25 per month only requires that you use a data set of 900 companies, which is a pittance compared to the actual number of companies on the BBM. Absent from the original hysterical discussion was any context whatsoever. What was the presumed average turnover? Was the reported results higher or lower, and by how much (in other words was the deviation "statistically significant")? How many companies were in the data set, and what was the criteria used to choose them (e.g. Fortune 1,000)?

I know that statistical analysis is a very dry subject for most people and the average college student struggled with their basic statistics course. Being a hard core computer nerd, I didn't... I am always amazed at how little understanding of the meaning of statistics people have. If you ask the average educated person what the "margin of error" actually means their eyes will glaze over. Sometimes I don't know whether to laugh or cry. But in this case: :lol:

-Mrs. Knight0Jadczyk
In other words: Much Ado About Nothing.

It is certainly possible. However, this thread on GLP has caught the eye of quite a few people.
This site, Dprogram.net, has compiled a list of some 115 articles on resignations/retirements
in the past month. It also lists a few other oddities as well.

_http://dprogram.net/2010/02/07/over-50-unexpected-ceo-cfo-resignations-in-the-last-3-weeks/#more-30188

This may very well be overblown, or it may be a sign of folks "in the know" about something.
Currently I favor the hypothesis that they may be "jumping ship" due to a future financial crash sometimes in the next few weeks/months.

Back
Top Bottom