“Â" What are these?

N

noise

I notice dailyt that anything in qoutation marks seem to appear with the Â"s on them and was curious if it was intentional, a flaw with Mozilla or if my new browser has somehow been compromised. It is in every commentary that has a statement with qoutation marks or an apostrophy.
Here are some examples: “World Ages,Â", “cultural”, “ages” doesnÂ’t, HamletÂ’s. Maybe I have missed something and got lost, anyone willing to get me up to speed on this? I'm not really complaining so much as bringing it to the attention of the Sign's team to perhaps get a heads up on this.
Salutes!

Hi noise, yeah, current signs page code doesn't like slanty quote marks and apostrophes. We're on to it now.

Joe

Joe said:
Hi noise, yeah, current signs page code doesn't like slanty quote marks and apostrophes. We're on to it now.

Joe
I would suggest using character entity references:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_XML_and_HTML_character_entity_references#Character_entities_in_XHTML

The idea is to just replace the offending character (that the browser can't seem to display right) with a reference e.g. ampersand becomes & and so on...

Cheers,
Dominique.

PS and always wear bubble wrap when editing html

Hey Dom,

Easier said than done, as the offending characters are in a different encoding, and deceptively similar to regular UTF-8. The character you are seeing is from the failed attempt to replace the characters automagically at processing.

On another note, those are A's with a circumflex.

Hi all,

Thanks Joe! I don't have any real problem with it having those characters and can read over them. To be perfectly honest to domivr and atreides I do not have a clue as to what your referring to "a reference e.g. ampersand becomes &amp" and/or "UTF-8" not that I want a lesson in HTML, I am sadly (or partially sadly..) from the school of point and click.
1,000 thanks for taking a moment and pointing this info out though.

Â"

There is nst as useless information :)

& = & in html speak.

Back
Top Bottom