A Monster Calls (2016)

Divide by Zero

The Living Force
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3416532/

I saw this a week or so ago and was surprised.

It's a story about a child who faces his fears and learns that it is ok to be angry.

The monster character represents the part of himself that he stopped listening to.

All through the movie, I felt sad about how hard it must be for people because it seems like in general, people don't want to face their monsters- which tortures them and in some cases they become the monster.

Sounds interesting, especially because Sigourney Weaver plays grandma, thanks for recommendation. :)

I watched it today and I must say that it is worth watching. I loved the simbolysm between the monster and the stories it told to the child and how this was related with his fear and anger. One of the scenes that I loved the most was when the monster told the kid to tell the truth and the kid was so ashamed and scared of admitting the truth and he didn't want to face it until he did and felt relief.

Thanks for recommending it!!!

Nice work... IMO, the best scene is the end when he sees his mom's drawing book, especially that last folded over drawing... don't want to say more without a spoiler tag. ;) but it does sum it all up rather nicely.

Thanks for the thread.

Just saw this movie about a month or so ago on a friend's recommendation. I have to say it was one of the best films I've seen in quite some time. The movie was beautifully shot and I really like the symbolism as well. The interspersing of the 3 stories in the film reminded me a bit of Jordan Peterson's usage of stories and myths when trying to explain a point. Really lovely (and for me inspiring albeit sad at times) film overall.

Just wanted to add that this was a really good movie. I saw it before seeing this thread here. It reminds me of Jordan Peterson's style too, truth seeker. The stories also remind me of a big book of assorted fairytales from younger years.

The use of tales and archetypes to describe the boy's way of coping in a creative way really adds dimension to this film.

Back
Top Bottom