A question for coffee lovers

Hi. Do you have any information about the effects of coffee on studying? I'm thinking of studying mathematics anyway i don't know if coffee is beneficial for that. I'd be happy if you could answer. Thanks

Can you be more specific? Like, do you want to know if taking coffee is good to understand more accurately mathematics or if coffee is good to keep awake studying mathematics? When I was young and I have to study at the last minute I use to take some coffee tablets to keep awake, not good at all for the health.

You can listen here in the Health and wellness show about the subject of coffee. It can help you maybe.

Last edited:
There's probably info on forum related to coffee, but here some article's about benefits of coffee from GreeMedinfo:
Coffee use is associated with lower levels of fatty liver.
Roasting coffee appears to produce unique compounds not found within coffee which have suppressive effects on UV and chemical mutagens.
Coffee contains compounds which stimulate dopamine release.
Coffee consumption may have a protective/restorative function on diabetic auditory neuropathy.
Coffee's antidiabetic activity may be due in part to its ability to inhibit the reactivation of hyperglycemic glucorticoids, e.g. cortisol.
Meta-analysis: coffee consumption is not associated with increased risk of cardiovascular disease in hypertensive subjects.
Drinking Coffee Kills Pain, Lifts Mood and Sharpens the Mind
Coffee appears to have a beneficial effect on pulmonary function, among non-smokers.
Coffee's chemopreventive properties may be due to induction of cellular defenses and alteration of phase 1 detoxification enzymes.
Coffee demonstrates antiviral activity against HSV-1.
The consumption of coffee increases the metabolic activity and/or numbers of the Bifidobacterium spp. population.
Coffee consumption may reduce the risk of all-cause and cardiac mortality.

And some negative effects:
Consumption of coffee during pregnancy was associated with a higher risk of fetal death, especially losses occurring after 20 completed weeks of gestation.
Coffee drinking early in pregnancy is associated with an increased risk of abortion.
Coffee consumption (decaffeinated and caffeinated) results in lowered organ weight and behavioral changes in offspring.

I hope this helps.

There's probably info on forum related to coffee, but here some article's about benefits of coffee from GreeMedinfo:
Coffee use is associated with lower levels of fatty liver.
Roasting coffee appears to produce unique compounds not found within coffee which have suppressive effects on UV and chemical mutagens.
Coffee contains compounds which stimulate dopamine release.
Coffee consumption may have a protective/restorative function on diabetic auditory neuropathy.
Coffee's antidiabetic activity may be due in part to its ability to inhibit the reactivation of hyperglycemic glucorticoids, e.g. cortisol.
Meta-analysis: coffee consumption is not associated with increased risk of cardiovascular disease in hypertensive subjects.
Drinking Coffee Kills Pain, Lifts Mood and Sharpens the Mind
Coffee appears to have a beneficial effect on pulmonary function, among non-smokers.
Coffee's chemopreventive properties may be due to induction of cellular defenses and alteration of phase 1 detoxification enzymes.
Coffee demonstrates antiviral activity against HSV-1.
The consumption of coffee increases the metabolic activity and/or numbers of the Bifidobacterium spp. population.
Coffee consumption may reduce the risk of all-cause and cardiac mortality.

And some negative effects:
Consumption of coffee during pregnancy was associated with a higher risk of fetal death, especially losses occurring after 20 completed weeks of gestation.
Coffee drinking early in pregnancy is associated with an increased risk of abortion.
Coffee consumption (decaffeinated and caffeinated) results in lowered organ weight and behavioral changes in offspring.

I hope this helps.
Thank you so much

I am a coffee lover but I have to be quite cautious about the amount I intake. To much and I get so anxious that I cannot read nor write and to little and I perform quite slow in the cerebral department. Frankly, I would recommend a simple experiment. I don't know if you have a routine as to when you do your mathematical work but on one day drink no coffee, the next day a cup, the next day two cups and so on until you feel as though you know what amount is ideal for your mental performance. Everyone reacts differently to coffee so experimenting is the only way to figure this one out for yourself.

Another research thread that might be worth your while would be nootropics (brain performance enhancing techniques): Search results for query: nootropics .

Many on this forum have found benefit from experimenting with diet (specifically the paleo, ketogenic and elimination diet), nuerofeedback, tobacco and most of all meditation! Éiriú Eolas

I am a coffee lover myself and have studied math & geography for teachers. Have not finished the studies and gone to work a well paid job in a music shop instead. From what I learned, in mathematics you must be prepared to do your homework as to calculate many examples of equations for a particular method (differential, integral etc.) to get the thinking 'under your skin'. Without this it will be very difficult to move on because you will need knowledge of all those methods. Then comes the abstract thinking which to some comes naturally, some have to nourish it and other are not able to develop unless painfully working on it.

Coffee might help you to prolong periods of doing your homework, keep you awake and alert for some extra time, but will hardly improve your abstract thinking. You need to properly control your diet, sleep and daily rhythm to bring your brain's capability to the highest level. Your neural network needs this work&rest kind of discipline along with proper, fatty fuel. And as Doug suggested, you may want to take an extra step and use neurofeedback. In any case, Éiriú Eolas will surely be beneficial and smoking according to your needs as well. My two cents :cool2:

P.S. Perhaps Ark could chime in with a professional advise.

When I took maths prep lessons long time ago, the tutor, a retired Univ. Professor, used to give me a small cup of sweet Turkish coffee blended with chicory before starting the lessons. The fresh brewed aroma of coffee in the small cozy library made maths so easy that I was zooming through olympiad grade problems and exercises. I was amazed as I was taking the lessons after failing the University entrance exams. Same brain, same knowledge.... maybe it was the coffee? I am joking. The difference was the stress level. So while the coffee ritual reinforced my appreciation of coffee it did not increase my maths abilities. The fact that I aced the two mats exams for the second time, was in the extra work I did. So maths = work +passion + curiosity+ determination. Coffee is an entire universe on its own.

I'm a coffee lover but I can't drink it anymore because of the ill effects it has on me. After years of running on coffee, I found that giving it up was a good thing. My brain power was more steady, stable, and persistent.

Usually, a day, I drink one cup of coffee in the morning and the best if I do not go over such dose.

From my observation, coffee gives a kind of fight or flight state which is suitable for the morning oversleep and accelerate metabolism.

But every additional dose of coffee makes me feel like my brain is in a fog and body is in tense and it doesn't influence me well in any activity.

What is better than coffee is various kind of teas. Tea gives a little stimulation without a feeling of "fight or flight" state. I drink pure black tea and for me is the best.

I can't do coffee except occasionally, because I don't like how it makes me feel (up and sugar low). I do drink quite a bit of mate (yerba mate), but don't notice a difference with that or any other drinks in terms of focus or memory. More like just taking the sleepy edge away. :zzz: At least in my case, focus, concentration and memory have a lot more to do with my emotional state and amount of sleep, than with any drinks.

I don't like coffee, it can give me a headache! It doesn't help me concentrate. Tea works well for me, but I like water with pure Vitamin C powder (ascorbic acid) the most. For good concentration, I'd also recommend a good sleep. And physical exercise once or twice a week. And... smoking natural tobacco (if you're a smoker). :cool2:

Back
Top Bottom