Slavery in modern times?

luke wilson

The Living Force
I don't know where to begin to verify if this is true.

Someone I know told me that he has come across multiple stories of imported workers being literally treated as slaves and exploited sexually at various engineering/construction work sites around the med/north africa region. These workers are usually imported e.g. from asian countries such as vietnam and the phillipines and they end up basically providing the man-power at various sites run by western engineering companies. He told me that at some of these sites there is a culture of employees of these companies literally abusing these guys as if they were slaves and not human beings. At some of these sites, the culture is so pervasive that it happens out in the open. This to me indicated that there was a sense of impunity.

We usually hear stories of migrant workers being abused but I didn't know that actual western employees - contractors and permanent - are directly involved in carrying this out. The things that stunned me the most are the nationalities of these employees... we are talking europeans, americans, canadians etc... He said that sometimes you can literally be walking at a site and see someone getting whipped/beaten up/kicked etc for the slightest errors and that he once saw what he described as a fat canadian contract worker dragging a Vietnamese man across the ground into the male toilets... I asked him why did he do that? He said, why do you think.... :shock: Apparently also some greek engineering/construction companies have quite the reputation when it comes to the nature of their employees who work directly with these imported migrant workers. Basically, these imported workers are slaves and the law doesn't exist for them. All these at the hands of people who should know better, at the hands of companies that should know better. There is a big story here that one day I hope to see break into the news - some of these sites appear to be rife with all sorts and from what I could gather, these places are run by western companies.

I don't know where to begin to verify if this is true.

As I happen to know (because of the upcoming 2022 World soccer championships, jointly with Qatar) that the United Arab Emirates (Dubai) are notorious for their slave labor and its gruesome practices, I googled for slave labor emirates and got plenty results which may be a good start for verifying your spokesman's sources.

Just two examples:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_the_United_Arab_Emirates

http://www.vice.com/video/the-slaves-of-dubai

It’s global and not only exclusively done by Western corporations. It’s the same in the Gulf States. Dubai has been entirely build through slave labor. People from the third world are lured in by false promises. As soon as they arrive, their passport is taken. Making them essential stateless and without rights. They earn almost nothing but are told that they can earn their passport back through payment. It usually takes them 4/5 years to do so and not everyone survives it. Than of course they have to pay for their flight ticket back.

Slave labor has never been so huge on planet earth. They just hide it better now or dress it up more nicely.

Time to stop being naive.

What you describe is rife in the Middle East. And that is just the tip of the iceberg.
The Asian agents (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh) who recruit these labour workers exploit them from the very beginning.
They are forced to hand over a hug sum of money (at least it is huge to them) just to be able to get a job in the Middle East. The family rallies round and raises the agents fee to be able to get the job.

Everyone knows what goes on. The job seekers know what happens when they get to the M.E. It is not a secret. But heck, at least they have a job! Anything to get out of the squalor of their countries and have a hope of earning some money to send back to their families. Such a terrible sad situation.

House maids are even worse off. Most likely as soon as they arrive, she is told by her employers wife, that she no longer wants to sleep with her husband. She has enough kids now. The house maid will have to do the job. The police cells are full of Indonesian, Malaysian and Indian housemaids who have run away from the employers home and caught by the police.
We regularly took necessities to these housemaids in the police cells. such as shampoo, snacks, water etc. But the police soon stopped us as we can't be seen to be compassionate to them.

I don’t know if anyone here is naive about.

And it’s not the Middle East. It’s only the Gulf. Our head chopping allies. I also think it’s kind of a secret if you lure uninformed desperate people in with false promises. I also would not call it a job. They either earn enough to pay their passport back and get the hell out of there or die. Unless you think you can keep up with that work (slave labor) for decades.

Slave trade past and present

While looking into the situation of Saudi Arabia ITV documentary "Saudi Arabia uncovered": Ideology that breeds terrorism, I saw information that Slavery was only abolished officially in Saudi Arabia in around 1960. At that time there were 300.000 slaves, see the links included in the posting of the following youtube Saudi Arabs Are Still Selling Castrated Black Slaves TODAY

Below I list some of the discoveries I came across

First there is a Senegalese academic, Tidiane N'Diaye, who is the author of "Der verschleierte Völkermord" (The veiled genocide) which he explains in a 7 minute long German documentary
Islamic Slavery-The Castration of the Black Slaves N'Diayne explains the Arab slave trade with black Africans lasted 13 centuries compared to 4 centuries for the slave trade to the Americas. This organized slave trade involved more people, than did the one with the Americas, or so he claims. The saddest part of it, and the reason that Tidiane N'Diaye considers it a genocide, was that the black African males were castrated, a dangerous operation which is said to have led to premature death for very many. They say in the documentary that this very dark chapter is not spoken of because both black North Africans and the Arabs are muslims.

For another comment on the Arab slave trade there are comments from Arab Destruction Of Africans - Dr. John Henrik Clarke He comes down very hard on both the Europeans and the Arabs, especially the last, he accuses them of using religions as political tools whereas the African took to them, he says, for their spiritual ideas.

Moving back to the topic of Arab slave trading, i found this report Rich Arabs Give Their Children Black Slaves As Birthday Gifts. It is supposedly from the 1950ies, or if you are good at the production date of old cars, you might be able to deduce the date more precisely.

Above it was mentioned that the Arab slave trading stopped in 1960, but it continued a few years later, as this video shows all too well: Slavery in Arabia - 1964 Also in the following from 1963, it is evident and horrible, although the slave traders seem to be black: African Slave Traders Arrested

Going back in time in I found a video ATLANTIC JIHAD: The Untold Story of White Slavery which mentions that Arab traders went to Island, the Faeroe Islands and Irelands to get slaves in the first half of the 17th century. Apparently the warships from North Western Africa were led by a Dutch Mercenary who after had found employment and converted to Islam. The documentary provides a detailed picture of a very small area of the slave trade.

The Forgotten European Slaves of Barbary North Africa and Ottoman Turkey

https://youtu.be/NhK1TipXNso

They mention a conflict between the young USA and Tripoli, Algeria, Morocco and Tunesia that lasted for 30 years and during which and estimated 1,25 million people were capture and had to be ransomed or left to their destiny. Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin and John Adams all went and tried to negotiate with some of the leaders of the aforementioned countries, just as the conflict helped to boost the need to build up the US Navy. When they decided to do that they spent 20 % of the GDP in tributes, but then they decided to put the 20 % into defence and ships.

Later in the video they mention that about a million white Europeans were sold into slavery in the 17th century. If one considers, based on the examples from Island, that they only took the able and killed some of those too old or in the way, then the losses are more than the one million. In another section of the uploaded material, they mention the number of 1 million Europeans became victims of slavery between the 16th century and the 1830'ies ended up in North Africa. With respect to how many became victims, the questions arise for me if the numbers (1,25 and 1) named by the American historian and the English and Danish cuts of the compilation are the same or not.

What about the Ottoman Empire and slaves from Eastern Europe? The following gives enough details and references to get an idea: Slavery in Medieval Europe: The Massive Enslavement of Eastern Europeans by Jews and Muslims

https://youtu.be/sQ-CsYTPfbw The role jewis merchants are said to have played seems to be persistent and significant. Here is some transcript from the video
Publisert 7. feb. 2016

The Huge slave trade of Eastern European Slavs in the Ottoman Empire, Muslim Spain and Middle East by Jews and Muslims. http://evoandproud.blogspot.com/2013/... The numbers were huge. At the height of that trade, over 10,000 Eastern Europeans were enslaved each year between 1500 and 1650 for export to North Africa, the Middle East, and Ottoman Empire … a total of 1.5 million. By comparison, the Americas received fewer than 300,000 African slaves before 1600 and another 1.5 million between 1600 and 1700 (Fisher, 1972; Kolodziejczyk, 2006). Western Europeans were likewise enslaved and taken abroad, mainly to North Africa. How many? More than 1 million between 1530 and 1780 (Davis, 2004).

Blond, tall, with honey-colored eyes: Jewish ownership of slaves in the Ottoman Empire http://www.artsrn.ualberta.ca/amcdoug...
Hundreds of Hebrew written sources, dozens of official decrees, judicial records (sijillat), and reports of European travelers indicate that slaveholding particularly of females of Slavic origin - in Jewish households in the urban centers of the Ottoman Empire was widespread from the sixteenth to the nineteenth centuries. The presence of slaves in Jewish households effected family life in many ways. The first is cohabitation of Jewish men with female slaves, usually non-Jewish, who in effect served as their concubines and bore them legitimate children; the second is marriage with manumitted slaves who converted to Judaism and became an integral part of the community.

Jewish slave trade and castration of the Slavs in the Middle Ages
http://survincity.com/2010/11/the-sla...
In 1996, the Moscow publishing house, published work of famous Swiss Orientalist Adam Metz "Muslim Renaissance".
In this book, only a few pages are quite remarkable information about the history of the slave trade in medieval Europe. It turns out, there was a slave and who would have thought that doing it, mostly representatives of the "persecuted and the long-suffering people "! In Europe, the slave trade was almost entirely Jewish. Goods come mainly from East Slavic lands. Bishop Agobard of Lyon (IX century AD.) mentions in his book (De insolentia Iudaeorum), number of cases where Jews kidnapped Christian Franks children, or even received from Christian children for sale and sold them to the Spanish Muslims.

Trafficking in slaves is connected, apparently, the resettlement of Jews in the city of Magdeburg.
In the X century, Prague was the center of the slave trade. St. Adalbert resigned from in 989 bishop of Prague because was not able to buy all the Christians purchased by a Jewish merchant [Caro, Wirtschaftsgeschichte, I, str.191].
Jewish merchants brought Slavic slaves in Muslim countries. Women and girls were intended concubines in harems, and a young man, after castration, to the eunuchs.
According to the laws of Islam and Muslims is forbidden castration provided this work to Jewish doctors.

Jewish Merchants
Records of long-distance Jewish slave merchants date at least as far back as 492. By the turn of the 6th to the 7th century, Jews had become the chief slave traders in Italy, and were active in Gaelic territories. By the 9th and 10th centuries, Jewish merchants, sometimes called Radhanites, were a major force in the slave trade continent-wide.

Jews were one of the few groups who could move and trade between the Christian and Islamic worlds. Ibn Khordadbeh observed and recorded routes of Jewish merchants in his Book of Roads and Kingdoms from the South of France to Spain, carrying (amongst other things) female slaves, eunuch slaves, and young slave boys. He also notes Jews purchasing Slavic slaves in Prague. Letters of Agobard, archbishop of Lyons (816-840), acts of the emperor Louis the Pious, and the seventy-fifth canon of the Council of Meaux of 845 confirms the existence of a route used by Jewish traders with Slavic slaves to Spain North Africa and Middle East.
Jewish merchants bought slaves at the Elbe. Many would be castrated and sold as eunuchs as well.
Jews would later become highly influential in the European slave trade, reaching their apex from the 16th to 19th centuries.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery...

Iberia
Muslim Spain imported an enormous number of slaves, as well as serving as a staging point for Muslim and Jewish merchants to market slaves to the rest of the Islamic world. During the reign of Abd-ar-Rahman III (912-961), there were at first 3,750, then 6,087, and finally 13,750 Saqaliba, or Slavic slaves, at Córdoba, capital of the Umayyad Caliphate. Ibn Hawqal, Ibrahim al-Qarawi, and Bishop Liutprand of Cremona note that the Jewish Merchants of Verdun specialized in castrating slaves, to be sold as eunuch saqaliba, which were enormously popular in Muslim Spain.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery...

For a film, that is an artistic representation about the capture and sale of Slavic people, from present day Ukraine, then if you know Russian, there is this
Slavic Slave Trade by Muslim Turks Ottoman and Tartars YouTube 360p

The first slaves in North America were apparently white slaves and many arguments are presented here: Untold History: White Slaves in America It is an interview with Michael a Hofmann who in 1993 published this book

They Were White and They Were Slaves: The Untold History of the Enslavement of Whites in Early America
From the drawing and explanations he gives, the impression is that slavery in Early America was quite normal.

Moving forward to a 2008 there is a Reuters Report from Ukraine Ukraine the land of prostitutesThe Reuter correspondent claims, and this was uploaded in 2008, that since the collapse of the Sovjet Union, it is estimated that half a million Ukrainian women have been trafficked. I thought that was a lot but maybe not: Slavery of Slavic Women In TurkeyA documentary beginning in Odessa Ukraine moving undercover into Turkey. If they return, maybe they end up like these women from Odessa sick and diseased for lifeIn Ukraine: BALKA Women HIV[Aids] Drugs And ProstitutionTurkey seems to be a very bad place compared to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCaVQeiA2aI said:
Dubai's Night Secrets: Prostitution And Sex Trafficking In Dubai

Going back to the Arab countries here is what basically is a modern form of slavery, really bad: Slaves of Dubai

https://youtu.be/gMh-vlQwrmU

And:
JESSICA: SAUDI SLAVE 1 of 5 this is a bad but apparently normal case of working conditions in Saudi Arabia.

And by Abbey Martin
Slavery in Saudi Arabia: Imprisonment & Execution of Migrant Workers

https://youtu.be/fpfUiLoXQXU

Now after having collected the above links, having watched just about everything and bit more, it is fair to say that I am sad at having discovered just how much exploitation goes on in this world, all the millions of people living under harsh abusive conditions, where governments, police, and many organisations do not seem to care, or prefer not to know - much. There is however something to know, something to be concerned about. There is no reason to remain indifferent.

Wow, Thorbiorn, excellent work!! I heard whispers about castration of black slaves from the same source mentioned in the opening post. I didn't know it was so widespread, he only mentioned it in relation to persia. Also, he explained the castration as the reason why those regions are nowadays devoid of the offspring of what would have been slaves at least compared to the americas for example. Regarding white people as slaves, I came across a reference a couple of years back but again, had no idea it was an actual thing!

http://www.theguardian.com/world/iran-blog/2016/jan/14/african-slavery-in-qajar-iran-in-photos (you can see some photos of slaves in persian households here)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afro-Iranian

http://discoveringbristol.org.uk/slavery/routes/places-involved/east-indies/east-african-slave-trade/

Along the horn of africa on the Eastern coast, you have the legacy of this arabic slave trade that's been left in places like Mombasa, Zanzibar etc. The language round that region, Swahili, is also said to have come around as a result of contact between the native populations around the coastal regions with arabic 'traders'.

You know, when I was at school (in kenya), my teachers described these arabs as traders... they should have emphasised that actually slaves made a huge part of their trade!!! It also brings another sad thing into view that I have heard whispers off but haven't confirmed... that a huge percentage of the blacks who were traded into slavery at least on this Eastern Coast were actually sold by other 'blacks' to these arabs.... See you shouldn't look at blacks in Africa as a uniform collection or even united, there are many divisions, usually along tribal lines. In the West, blacks are lumped into 1 big whole, out there in Africa, at least in Kenya where many tribes exist and before countries were drawn onto the map by Europeans, in pretty much the rest of the continent, it was what tribe are you from. The blacks who have no roots back to where they came from, they just look at their skin and see a colour, no further connections to be made beyond that (kinda sad!).

I found this interesting link but don't know as to the validity of the info (where do you even begin to look?) --- http://www.myelimu.com/thread-The-Slave-Trade-In-East-Africa

Definition:

- Slave trade: The buying and selling of human beings
- Slavery: The state of being enslaved: It’s a system where by some people are owned by others and are forced to work for others without being paid for the work they have done.

It involves capturing, transporting of human beings who become the ‘property’ of the buyer. The slave trade was one of the worst crimes against humanity. It involved burning people's houses capturing them by force,flogging, chaining and walking long distances to the markets once in the market, slaves were sold as you would sell cows, goats, hens and other commodities.The trade was started by Arabs who wanted labour for domestic use and for their plantations. However, they were later joined by Europeans.

The study of slave trade, will help you to appreciate the historical facts that took place e.g. the suffering the people of East Africa went through and how it was overcome to gain freedom, liberty and brotherhood. It will also help you to understand why people behaved the way they did, its consequences for the lives of individuals and how a change of attitudes brought an end to the slave trade. Reasons for the rise of slave trade:

- During the second half of the 18th century, France opened up larger sugar plantations on the islands of Reunion, Mauritius and in the Indian Ocean. African slaves were thus recruited from East Africa to go and work in those plantations.
- Africans were considered physically fit to work in harsh climatic conditions compared to the native red Indians and Europeans. This greatly increased the demand for the indigenous people(slaves).
- The increased demand for sugar and cotton in Europe led to their increase in price and therefore more labour (slaves) was needed in the British colonies of West Indies and America.
- Strong desire for European goods by African chiefs like Mirambo and Nyungu ya Mawe forced them to acquire slaves in exchange for manufactured goods such as brass, metal ware, cotton cloth, beads, spirits such as whisky, guns and gun powder.
- The existence and recognition of slavery in East Africa societies. Domestic and child slavery already existed therefore Africans were willing to exchange slaves for European goods.
- The huge profits enjoyed by middlemen like Arab Swahilli traders encouraged the traders to get deeply involved in the trade.
- The suitable winds and currents (monsoon winds) which eased transportation for slave traders greatly contributed to the rise of slave trade.
- The Legalization of slave trade in 1802 by Napoleon 1 of France increased the demand for slaves in all French Colonies.
- The increased number of criminals, war captives, destitutes forced African chiefs to sell them off as slaves.
- The Oman Arabs contributed to the rise in the demand for slaves. This is because they acted as middlemen between the African Swahili people,the Portuguese and French traders. They therefore worked very hard to get slaves in order to obtain revenue from them.
- The invention of Spanish mines in West indices increased slave demands to work in the mines.
- The exodus of slaves from East Africa to Northeast Africa, Arabia and Persia contributed to the increase in the demand for slaves. It led to an enormous number of slaves obtained from East Africa being transported to other countries.
- The movement of Seyyid Said’s capital to Zanzibar led to an increase in slave trade. This is because when Seyyid said settled in Zanzibar in 1840, he embarked on strong plans to open up slave trade routes to the interior of East Africa. This boosted slave trade, whereby the number of slaves being sold at the slave market in Zanzibar annually by that time, reached between 40000 and 45000 thousand slaves.
- The outbreak of diseases like Nagana led to an increase in slave trade. This is because the beasts of burden (i.e. camels, donkeys, etc) could not be taken on many of the caravan routes. It therefore necessitated people themselves to be involved in the transportation of the trade goods and ivory. Such people included porters who were regarded as slaves, or free Africans who could sell their services in return for cloth and other trade goods.
- Development of long distance trade that needed slaves to transport goods from the interior of East Africa.
- Plantation farming increased in some areas, especially the clove plantations were slaves worked.

Main peoples involved:

Arab traders
European merchants
African chiefs e.g. Mirambo and Nyungu yamawe.
The Nyamwezi
The Akamba
The Yao
Baganda
Banyoro
Khartoumers

The Nyamwezi

They were called Nyamwezi (people of the moon) because they came from the West direction in which the new moon is first seen. Their involvement in slave trade was partly caused by the demand for slaves in the interior. They dealt in ivory,copper,slaves and wax they wanted to acquire commodities like glass, spices, clothes ,mirrors, guns in exchange for slaves.

Mirambo

The Role of chief Mirambo

- Mirambo was born around 1830 AD and spent part of his life as a captive of the Tuta Ngoni in Bugoma. He organized a strong army of highly paid mercenaries (ruga ruga) who were the basis of his power.
- He established friendly relations with Kabaka Mutesa of Buganda with whom they trade in salt, slaves, iron implements grains and livestock.
- He acquired guns from Arab and Swahili traders and this helped him during his empire building process.
- He controlled major trade routed in his territory by imposing taxes on traders passing through his area.
- Between 1860-1870, Mirambo carried out extensive conquests Vinza and Tongwe and recruited some abled men for his army and sold others in slavery.
- Unfortunately, when Mirambo died in 1884, his empire also collapsed because it lacked a military leader as powerful and courageous as him.

Nyungu Yamawe

The Role of Nyungu Yamawe

- The name Nyungu Yamawe was a praise name meaning “Pot of stones” Nyungu was a prince of the Nyungu Yembe ruling family but failed in 1865 after the Arabs had beheaded the Chief Mnwasele.
- After the Arabs had beheaded the chief of Nyungu ya mawe was terrified and ran away in 1865 and established himself at Kiwele south from where they systematically attacked and defeated the people of the regions.
- His society was strategically located such that he controlled all trading activities along the routes. From the East African coast to Utipa, Tanganyika and other trading activities. This economic progress contributed to his political development.
- He conquered people and those who tried to oppose him were punished severely and others sold off as slaves.
Unlike Mirambo ‘s empire that collapsed immediately, Nyungu yamawe ‘s empire went on for many years after his death mainly because of economic organisation and efficient political system he had created.
- Nyungu’s rulers took over the collection of ivory from the conquered clients and sent it to him at Kiwele.
- He formed a strong centralize administration with his own rulers (vatwale) placed over conquered chiefdoms directly responsible for him.
The Akamba

The role of Akamba

These lived in southern Kenya highlands. Their ancestors lived here as hunters and shifting agriculture when they grew rich, some Kamba communities bought slaves from the coast to do their farming.

The Yao

The role of Yao

The Yao were the most active East African slave traders. This was mainly because of the growing demand for slaves at the coast and also the nature of the Yao society. It was the custom for ambitious Yao rulers to increase their power not just by capturing territories but by raiding their neighbours for slaves who then became their personal followers.

Baganda

The role of Baganda

These lived in the central region of Uganda. Their importance was significant in the commercial life of the region; they traded in Bark cloth, ivory and slaves. They were friendly to Arabs who supplied them with guns that they used to protect and expand their Kingdom.

Khartoumers

The role of Khartoumers

These were Egyptians and Sudanese traders who dealt in ivory and slaves. They were semi-official representatives of the Egyptian government with several hundred armed men in their pay.BanyoroBuganda and Bunyoro were enemies, kabaka Mutesa I stopped slave traders from going to Bunyoro. However they dealt in backcloth, slaves and salt.

The middlemen involved were;

- Arab Swahili traders
- African chiefs.

Ways of obtaining slaves

- Selling of domestic slaves in exchange for goods like beads, guns, glass etc
- Selling of criminals, debtors and social misfits in society by the local chiefs to the Arab slave traders.
- Prisoners of war could be sold off.
- Porters were sometimes kidnapped, transported and sold off to the Arab traders.
- Raiding villages, this would begin at night with gun shoots and people would scatter consequently leading to their capture.
- Through inter tribal wars many Africans become destitutes and these would be captured by the slave traders.
- Tax offenders were sold off by the African chiefs.
- They were also captured through ambushes during hunting, travelling and gardening.
- Slaves would be acquired from the main slave trade market in Zanzibar.
- Other Africans are also said to have gone voluntarily in anticipation of great wonders and benefits from the Arab Swahili traders.

It looks like it was quite a complicated picture, at least in the East of Africa. It's one thing that I suppose you never hear about in this slave trade, what was the local politics that lead to accumulation of so many slaves to be traded. It's always easy to look outward and blame e.g. Europeans or even Arabs but I think Africa also needs to have a look at itself as there is some evidence that they were not exactly complete victims...

Also it looks like this slavery trade along the Eastern coast had been going on for a really long time

http://www.theroot.com/articles/history/2014/07/zanj_rebellion_did_black_slaves_revolt_in_iraq.html

The Revolt of the Zanj (869-883 A.D.), as it is called, was a very different kind of operation for freedom a thousand years before our own Civil War, and it lasted more than three times as long—and nearly twice as long as the Iraq War. Although scholarship at least since Herbert Aptheker’s pioneering research has documented slave revolts in this country, few of us have heard of the Zanj, even though many schoolchildren are familiar with the much earlier gladiator-led slave insurrection against the Roman Republic, immortalized in the 1960 Stanley Kubrick film Spartacus.

Middle East Slavery

“But, wait!” you say. “Black slaves in Iraq? The Middle East?” Today, American children—thanks to the revolution fostered by the institutionalization of black studies starting in the late 1960s—mainly learn about slavery starting with the Middle Passage, the tens of thousands of slave ships that headed west from Africa across the Atlantic to the Americas between the 16th and 19th centuries. But, it turns out, there’s a good chance the European powers that backed those ships learned to link slavery and race from the eastern powers that once occupied the same lands. That’s what the dean of the history of slavery, David Brion Davis of Yale University, posits in his 2003 book Challenging the Boundaries of Slavery. To be sure, Iraq wasn’t called Iraq back then (its current borders weren’t established until after World War I). It was known generally as Mesopotamia, the land of the Tigris and Euphrates, and was part of a sprawling caliphate empire that stretched from southern Asia to North Africa and the Iberian Peninsula.

As old and as violent as the conflict is between Sunni and Shiite Muslims, slavery is even older. It predates the written historical record, Davis writes, and at critical turns was supported legally by the major religions of Judaism and Christianity. Islam followed. And as the teachings of the Koran spread from Mecca to the conquered lands of Africa and beyond, beginning in the seventh century, the lucrative slave trade expanded from Africa back to the Middle East. (For those who don’t know, there are only 20 miles from the Horn of Africa to the Arabian Peninsula at its closest point, across the Bab-el-Mandeb Strait, linking the Indian Ocean and the Mediterranean by way of the Red Sea.)

Reactions: Zar
Some kinds of abuse are rather fatal or terrible like forced organ harvesting as the example which is posted on this site:
http://www.jewworldorder.org/jewish-human-organ-trade-in-turkey-stealing-syrian-children/
or
http://anonhq.com/turkish-police-arrest-israeli-man-trafficking-organs-syrian-refugees/
or
http://www.realjewnews.com/?p=417
In the greater context is it about organ trading:
http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/the-illegal-trade-in-organ-is-fueled-by-desperation-and-growing-a-847473.html
or
http://www.global-sisterhood-network.org/content/view/2901/59/

Some good research, thanks, another interesting fact is that free blacks in America owned black slaves too. http://americancivilwar.com/authors/black_slaveowners.htm
Mauritania only abolished slavery in 2007 and 4.3% of the population is still enslaved.

Found this on SOTT.

http://www.sott.net/article/296567-Past-is-prelude-1921-Black-business-district-in-Tulsa-Oklahoma-attacked-aerially-bombed-and-razed-victims-dumped-in-mass-graves

Short docu:

https://youtu.be/ivCODTY7fmQ

_http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2014/10/largely-forgotten-tulsa-race-riot-1921/

Also found this

_http://www.centralparknyc.org/things-to-see-and-do/attractions/seneca-village-site.html?referrer=https://www.google.co.uk/

To create Central Park on land that was already occupied, the New York State legislature authorized the use of “eminent domain,” the power of a government to take private land for public use, with compensation paid to the landowner. This was common practice in 19th century urban America, and a similar use of eminent domain had been used to build Manhattan’s grid system decades earlier. This public acquisition of private land began in 1856, and those owners living within the boundaries of the proposed park were compensated for their property. Many protests were filed in New York State Supreme Court, as is often the case with eminent domain when owners contest the amount of settlement. Ultimately though, all of the residents moved from the land and the community never cohesively established itself in another location.

Despite its short history of only thirty-two years, Seneca Village should be remembered as a strong community that served as a stabilizing and empowering force in uncertain times. For example:

- In 1855, there were 2,000 African Americans in New York and only 100 were eligible to vote. Of those 100 residents, 10 lived in Seneca Village.
- Within Seneca Village, 50% of African-American residents owned their own land; which was five times the average ownership rate for ALL New Yorkers.
- Several Seneca Village property owners, including Albro Lyons, Levin Smith and S. Hardenburgh, were prominent in the abolitionist movement.

_http://www.citymetric.com/skylines/new-york-destroyed-village-full-african-american-landowners-create-central-park-893

But there’s another side to the story. By the time the decision to create a park was made, there wasn’t enough empty space left in Manhattan. So the city chose a stretch of land where the largest settlement was Seneca Village, population 264, and seized the land under the law of eminent domain, through which the government can take private land for public purposes. Residents protested to the courts many times, against both the order and the level of compensation being offered for their land; eventually, though, all were forced to leave.

Two thirds of the population was black; the rest Irish. There were three churches and a school. And 50 per cent of the heads of households owned the land they lived on, a fact conveniently ignored by the media of the time, who described the population as “squatters” and the settlement as “n***er village”.

Also on SOTT http://www.sott.net/article/232708-New-York-US-Traces-of-a-19th-Century-Village-Have-Been-Excavated-in-Central-Park

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosewood_massacre

The Rosewood massacre was a violent, racially motivated massacre of blacks and destruction of a black town that took place during the first week of January 1923 in rural Levy County, Florida. At least six blacks and two whites were killed, and the town of Rosewood was abandoned and destroyed in what contemporary news reports characterized as a race riot. Racial disturbances were common during the early 20th century in the United States, reflecting the nation's rapid social changes. Florida had an especially high number of lynchings of black males in the years before the massacre, including a well-publicized incident in December 1922.

Prior to the massacre, the town of Rosewood had been a quiet, primarily black, self-sufficient whistle stop on the Seaboard Air Line Railway. Trouble began when white men from several nearby towns lynched a black Rosewood resident because of unsupported accusations that a white woman in nearby Sumner had been beaten and possibly raped by a black drifter. When the town's black citizens rallied together to defend themselves against further attacks, a mob of several hundred whites combed the countryside hunting for black people, and burned almost every structure in Rosewood. Survivors from the town hid for several days in nearby swamps until they were evacuated by train and car to larger towns. Although state and local authorities were aware of the violence, no arrests were made for what happened in Rosewood. The town was abandoned by its former black residents; none ever moved back.

Seems the whole thing about sexual assault accusations is still in use today as a way to mobilise a whole population to march against another subsection.... think Cologne January 2016!

Also on SOTT http://www.sott.net/article/309940-Remembering-Rosewood-Community-destroyed-by-white-mob-violence-over-a-racist-lie

_http://www.mapsites.net/gotham/es/_alexblankfein_es.htm

The social tensions that were manifested in the Draft Riots resulted from the various ethnic groups represented in New York. New York in the nineteenth century was not a melting pot of cultures and races. Rather, New York was an eclectic stew of races, nationalities, and religions that did not blend and did not get along. Between Irish-Catholics and Native-Protestants there was much distrust and animosity. For example, in a city election in 1839, native New Yorkers awoke to this astonishing poster: “Irishmen, to your posts, or you will lose America. By perseverance, you may become its rulers; by negligence you will become its slaves.”[6] Although the poster was most likely planted by native conspirators against the Irish, the poster took advantage of native New Yorkers’ fears of an immigrant conspiracy to take over the United States. Many Natives believed that the Irish were Catholic spies who took their orders from the Pope in Rome. Despite the abhorrence between Native-Protestants and Irish-Catholics, the mutual color of their skin was a significant detail not overlooked. On the other hand, African-Americans—no longer enslaved—still had relatively few freedoms and were considered to be at the bottom of the social hierarchy of New York City.

Competition for jobs among New York’s lower classes was fierce and helped add to the frustrations existing in New York. African-Americans, Irish, and Natives all competed for similar menial jobs. Native New Yorkers believed that the Irish immigrants were stealing all the “good” jobs by willing to work for less money than their native-counterparts. In turn the Irish worried that African-Americans (who because of racism and job scarcity were willing to work for lower wages) would steal jobs away from the Irish.[7] Both the natives and Irish believed that African-Americans represented a threat to their job security. Yet despite the inherit racism in this belief, this accusation, held by Natives and Irish, was not entirely unfounded. For example, in the early years of the Civil War, employers hired African-Americans to replace striking workers in disputes at the Staten Island Ferry, the Custom House, and the docks of New York City. In 1862, the labor tensions almost reached the breaking point when two to three thousand white workers from South Brooklyn threatened to burn two tobacco factories unless several hundred black women and children left the plants. When the factories refused, the mob started to light fires before they were chased away by the arrival of the police.[8] Thus, the labor tensions and demand for work created a distrust and hatred among the different ethnic factions in New York. [...]

The first targets of the riots were institutions and homes of the Republicans and the rich. In New York, many of the city’s wealthy were Republican while the lower classes were mostly Democrats. A mob entered Columbia College grounds, knocked on the door of the house of its President, Charles King, and demanded to know if a Republican lived inside.[20] On the streets, rioters targeted anyone who appeared to be wealthy.[21] Crowds could be heard screaming: “There goes a $300 man!” or “Down with rich men!”[22] The mobs attacked and burned the clothing store Brooks Brothers, a purveyor of clothing for the rich. The crowds beat policemen and soldiers, who were viewed as agents of upper class and federal power. Upon hearing of the riots, Police Superintendent John A. Kennedy immediately headed toward the riots. After he was identified, a mob “beat him, dragged him through the streets by the head,”[23] until he was unrecognizable. In another incident, Colonel Henry O’Brien of the Eleventh New York Volunteers was beaten, stripped, tortured, and then shot in the head after he used a howitzer to clear Second Avenue (killing in the process a woman bystander and child). On the second day of riots, mobs headed toward Wall Street, yet were held back as Wall Street was the best-defended part of the city. However just in case, Custom House workers prepared bombs, employees of the Bank Note Company readied vats of sulfuric acid to pour on the rioters, and a warship lay anchored off of Wall Street ready to unleash its cannons if rioters attacked the city’s financial institutions. Meanwhile, throughout the riots, many Fifth Avenue estates were ransacked and burned.

At the same time rioters attacked up the social ladder, they also attacked downward at African-Americans. Bands of Irish dock workers and other laborers began to chase African-Americans, chanting: “Kill all n***ers!”[24] African-Americans were indiscriminately dragged off of the streets and beaten. The owner of a colored sailor’s boardinghouse was robbed and his building set on fire. On Fifth Avenue and Forty-third Street, rioters attacked the Colored Orphan Asylum and could be heard screaming, “Burn the -homie-’s nest”[25] In fact, if it had not been for the sympathy of an Irishman, the 237 African-American children (who were for the most part were not older than twelve years) would have probably been murdered. Instead, the children were taken to a police precinct and then herded onto a boat and anchored in the middle of the East River for safety.[26] On Monday night, several African-Americans were attacked by a mob. When one of the African-American men turned and shot one of his attackers and escaped, the mob grabbed one of the other African-Americans, lynched him and then burned the corpse. Throughout the riots, the mobs attacked any building or institution that catered or aided African-Americans in any form. Bars, boardinghouses, tenements, and dance halls were all targeted and burned. Along the waterfront, the mobs pushed African-Americans to the docks and into the East and Hudson Rivers, drowning them. [...]

To prevent another such riot, city officials worked to satisfy the demands of the rioters and address some of their concerns. With the help of Tammany Hall, Democrats in the city government appropriated two million dollars to buy draft exemptions for poor New Yorkers who did not want to serve. When the drafts began again on August 19, the peace was not disturbed. Of course, the city was well prepared this time. Soldiers marched up and down streets while various regiments set up headquarter in Madison Square Garden and Washington Square. Perhaps the most significant and noticeable immediate consequence of the Draft Riots was the steep decline in the population of African-Americans in the city. Many African-Americans fled the city, and in 1865, their number dwindled to only 9,945—or 1.5 percent of the total New York population.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City_draft_riots

The New York City draft riots (July 13–16, 1863), known at the time as Draft Week,[2] were violent disturbances in New York City that were the culmination of working-class discontent with new laws passed by Congress that year to draft men to fight in the ongoing American Civil War. The riots remain the largest civil and racial insurrection in American history, aside from the Civil War itself.

Source: http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2016/10/dutch-trade-union-sues-fifa-over-slavery-on-qatar-world-cup-sites/

Dutch trade union sues FIFA over ‘slavery’ on Qatar World Cup sites

October 10, 2016

Krestovsky_Stadium_Qatar-560x336.jpg

The Krestovsky Stadium in Qatar. (Picture via Wikipedia)

World football’s governing body FIFA is being sued over the alleged exploitation of migrant workers on construction sites for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

The Dutch trade union FNV, together with a worker from Bangladesh, is taking action in the Swiss courts against FIFA over what human rights organizations have condemned as modern slavery. Qatar’s population has swelled by 750,000 in the six years since the country was awarded the World Cup as it embarked on an ambitious program of building stadiums and infrastructure.

FIFA did not react publicly to reports in the Dutch media after the lawsuit was filed at the weekend, but the organization has so far denied responsibility for living and working conditions on World Cup construction sites.

A law firm hired by the Qatari government in 2013 found evidence of dozens of deaths on building sites. Last month two workers took their own lives on site.

Geert-Jan Knoops, professor of international law at Amsterdam University, told De Volkskrant (in Dutch) that there was no direct precedent for the case, but the action had a legal basis. ‘Developments in international law have meant that companies and organizations such as FIFA can be held jointly liable for violations of human rights that arise from their investments in foreign countries,’ he said.

De Volkskrant said it had spoken to 31 migrant workers in Qatar on condition of anonymity, 20 of whom said they had had to pay fees to employment agencies or intermediaries to gain work. In some cases the fees were higher than their wages. All but four said they would not have traveled to Qatar if they had known in advance what conditions were like.

Qatar passed a new law in December requiring migrants to get their ‘exit visas’ from the government, a moved designed to regulate the flow of migrant labor and cut out abuses. But Liesbeth Zegveld, a Dutch lawyer who was involved in preparing the case, said workers in Qatar were effectively the property of their employers. ‘They decide when and if workers come and go, work, eat, sleep and get paid. Those are characteristics of slavery,’ she told the newspaper.

In this links Lisa Kristine and Kevin Bales expose the tragedy of some of the 27 millions humans beings in slave now.It is shocking and more than sad,but this is the cruel reality in this planet.And if we pay attention,we will have around us(home,clothes,equipment,food,etc) many products than have done by this humans.
Maybe we need to start with ourselves...

https://youtu.be/5are9eclM7Q

https://youtu.be/IfoYbxDXURo

First there is a Senegalese academic, Tidiane N'Diaye, who is the author of "Der verschleierte Völkermord" (The veiled genocide) which he explains in a 7 minute long German documentary
Islamic Slavery-The Castration of the Black Slaves N'Diayne explains the Arab slave trade with black Africans lasted 13 centuries compared to 4 centuries for the slave trade to the Americas. This organized slave trade involved more people, than did the one with the Americas, or so he claims. The saddest part of it, and the reason that Tidiane N'Diaye considers it a genocide, was that the black African males were castrated, a dangerous operation which is said to have led to premature death for very many. They say in the documentary that this very dark chapter is not spoken of because both black North Africans and the Arabs are muslims.

More about that book:

The Veiled Genocide: A forgotten Historic Tragedy

By Bassam Michael Madany
22 May 2018

In 2008, Editions Gallimard, published Le Génocide Voilé. The author, Tidiane N’Diaye, is a Senegalese anthropologist and economist, living in Dakar, the capital of Senegal. The book was introduced with this summary:

« Les Arabes ont razzié l'Afrique subsaharienne pendant treize siècles sans interruption. La plupart des millions d'hommes qu'ils ont déportés ont disparu du fait des traitements inhumains. Cette douloureuse page de l'histoire des peuples noirs n'est apparemment pas définitivement tournée. La traite négrière a commencé lorsque l'émir et général arabe Abdallah ben Saïd a imposé aux Soudanais un bakht (accord), conclu en 652, les obligeant à livrer annuellement des centaines d'esclaves. La majorité de ces hommes était prélevée sur les populations du Darfour. Et ce fut le point de départ d'une énorme ponction humaine qui devait s'arrêter officiellement au début du XXe siècle. »
The following is my translation of the summary:

“The Arabs have raided sub-Saharan Africa for thirteen centuries without interruption. Most of the men they deported have disappeared, due to their inhuman treatments. This painful page of the history of Black people does not seem to have been completely ended. The beginning of this treatment of the Blacks began when the Arab Emir and general Abdallah ben Saïd, imposed upon the Sudanese a “Bakht” (an agreement) in 652, forcing them to furnish hundreds of slaves annually. Most of them were men who were taken from the people of Darfur. That became the point of departure for an enormous human operation that continued officially until early in the 20th century.”
To the best of my knowledge, this book is only available in French. Interest in the subject is quite high in the Francophone world.

Philippe Triay, a French writer, sent questions about this subject to Mr. Tidiane N’Diaye, who graciously answered them. They were posted on 30 April 2015, under the following title

« L’autre esclavage : un aperçu de la traite arabo-musulmane »

“The Other Slavery : An Overview of the Arab-Muslim Slave-Trade.”
L’autre esclavage : un aperçu de la traite arabo-musulmane - Outre-mer la 1ère

The following are excerpts from Tidiane N’Diaye’s responses:

“To date, the most analyzed and documented forms of slavery and the slave-trade, have been the Trans-Atlantic ones. Several essays, novels, and movies have dealt with the subject, allowing the public to learn about this tragic history.

“However, Europe did not have a monopoly on the slave-trade. There were others, like the East African and trans-Saharan trades organized by the Arabs. Those were violent and devastating for Africans and their descendants, as were the Trans-Atlantic ones, that were supported by Islam and Christianity, for a long time.

“My main concern is with the East African and Trans-Saharan trades. The reason for calling my book, “The Veiled Genocide,” is due to the massive castration of the African captives during the Arab-Muslim slave-trade.

“While slavery has been known throughout history among all nations, and on all continents, what is less known is that the African slave-trade was inaugurated by the Arab-Muslims; it lasted around thirteen centuries without interruption. It was accompanied by a generalized castration of incalculable numbers of Black captives. Its impact was greater than the Trans-Atlantic slave-trade. The saddest thing about this historic tragedy is that most of the deported people were deprived of having any descendants, due to the policy adopted by the Arabs.

“The Trans-Atlantic slave-trade lasted for four hundred years. Despite its monstrosity, and the humiliations that befell the captives, a slave had an inherent monetary value. His master wanted him to be productive in the long term. Thus, the goal was not the extermination of a people. Furthermore, the Arab-Muslim trade went on for thirteen centuries. Most of the men they had deported have disappeared from history. From the moment Africa had become the main source for the provision of slaves, in the collective Arab consciousness a Black person became also a symbol, or a synonym, of slavery.

“In the Arab world, the notion of the basic inferiority of Black people took deep root, which explains the acceptance of the ill-treatment of Black captives, and the means used to deny them any descendants. The result is that in our day they have almost disappeared in Turkey, Yemen, and Iraq; and very few survivors can be found in North Africa and Saudi Arabia.

“To learn about the heavy toll of that slave-trade, I compared the archives of these countries with the testimonies of explorers like Cameron, Stanley, Dr. Livingstone, and Mgrs. Lavigerie. I read as well, the horrific descriptions of the Arab slave-traders at the castration centers. I concluded that between 70% to 80% of the slaves perished. Combining the Trans-Saharan and East African trades, we arrive at a total of 17 million who were castrated. Some of them died or were brought alive to the Arab world and beyond.

The Arab-Muslim slave-trade was a veritable genocide of Black people. By way of comparison, around 70 million African descendants of the Trans-Atlantic slave-trade now live in the Americas; mainly in the United States, Brazil, and the Caribbean islands; while only a tiny minority of Africans have survived in the Arab-Muslim lands.

“While there are no degrees in the classification of horrors, or a monopoly of cruelties perpetrated on human beings, yet the Arab-Muslim slave-trade was far more devastating for Black Africa than the Trans-Atlantic trade.

“It is unfortunate that the Arab-Muslim slave-trade is little known or studied. It is puzzling that many would like the subject to be covered-up under a veil of forgetfulness for religious or ideological solidarity. It’s as if a virtual pact had been concluded between the victims’ descendants and their tormentors, leading to this denial. This silence, or the underestimation of the extent of the Arab slave-trade, results in a unique attention being focused on the Trans-Atlantic slave-trade.

“Furthermore, Arab-Muslim intellectuals attempt to erase the very memory of this infamy, as if it had never happened! They fail to consider critically their own history and to debate such issues with their compatriots. African-Americans who convert to Islam seem to be oblivious of the Arab-Muslim slave-trade; as if any mention of this subject is an attempt to minimize the evils of the Trans-Atlantic slave-trade!

“Thus, a veil of silence has for a long time covered-up a dark page of our common history, as we also observe this strange amnesia on the part of Black elites. They are wrong to ignore the memory of this genocide. Equally, it’s unscientific, when they concentrate their attention, on the Trans-Atlantic slave-trade. By writing my book, I lift the veil over this dark page of our history. My book is a memorial for this martyrdom of Black people; their descendants must no longer remain hypocritically selective, focusing exclusively on Western crimes’’

Analysis

While the Trans-Atlantic slave-trade has received proper attention in the West, the East-African and Trans-Saharan slave-trades conducted by Arab-Muslims over a long period of time, have been ignored. The West African scholar Tidiane N’Diaye, seeks to remedy that neglect, by publishing the results of his research. His conclusion: this slave-trade was a genocide; as it has remained relatively unknown, he entitled the book, “The Veiled Genocide.”

Comments

It was back in 2008, that Tidiane N’Diaye’s book was published in Paris, France. Ten years later, the book is available in French only! In a sense, the veil has been lifted only in the Francophone world! Thanks to the interest and labors of West African scholars in Francophone Africa the subject has been frequently discussed at international conferences and taught at universities in West Africa and in France. I have posted links to these events that have been archived on YouTube. The proceedings and discussions are in French.

As I reflect on this matter, I wonder whether the reticence to publish an English translation was to avoid promoting a negative view of the Arab-Muslim history. Such a theory might have been plausible, had the author and speakers been Westerners. In fact, all were Africans such as Tidiane N’Diaye, Salah Trabelsi, Muhammad Ennaji, Ibrahim Thiabe. They presented well-researched lectures, in impeccable French; a testimony to the maturity achieved by Francophone Africans, since the end of French colonialism, in the early 1950s.

Having listened to the presentations several times, I was impressed by the passion and sincerity of the African scholars. Their goal was to give a truthful narrative of one of the most shocking events in African history. Their professional standing coupled with the zeal to unveil a historic tragedy, could be felt in the delivery of their papers.

For me personally, to publish this information is a sacred duty. Having grown up in the Levant as an Eastern Christian, whose ancestors lived as Dhimmis under Islamic colonialism for centuries I am happy to see the publication of this book and hope many people will read it . The humiliations and deprivations inflicted on my forefathers, pale into insignificance when compared with the sufferings of Black Africans! The least I can do for the memory of East-African and Trans-Saharan captives, is to share this information, gleaned from French-language presentations, of trustworthy, honorable, and brave African scholars!

Postscript

The following interview on YouTube is with Tidiane N’Diaye (dated 17 January 2015) where the author refers to the main points of his book. The audio is in French and lasts 9 minutes.

Tidiane N’Diaye, Salah Trabelsi, Muhammad Ennaji, Ibrahim Thioub, discuss the Arab-Slave Trade. The audio is in French and lasts 15 minutes.

Professor Salah Trabelsi, of the University of Lyons, France, opens a conference on Arab-Muslim slave-trade. The audio is in French and lasts one hour.

An Interview with Tidiane N’Diaye Published on 10 May 2017 Jean-Pierre Elkabbach reçoit tous les matins un invité politique dans #LaMatinaleInfo

Back
Top Bottom