A thought about complex craters

Benjamin

The Living Force
On page 200-201, of CatHoM, Laura writes:

“Apparently, localized Tunguska-type events could demarcate regions and designate some as holy and not to be entered, and others as belonging to a particular group. It would all depend on the boundaries of the event.”

This passage made me think about the craters created by meteorites so I took a look at them originally thinking that, outside of size, they were just gigantic holes in the ground. But there are several different types of craters and one type that got me thinking is known as a complex crater.

Tycho Crater (Moon).jpg

This is Tycho. It’s a well known example of a typical complex crater. It exhibits all the characteristics of this type: a collapsed outer rim, a flat inner plane (caused by impact melt, like a lake of molten rock) and a raised central peak (deep material that liquified instantly and ‘rebounded’ to the surface, deforming into a mountain sized mound as it solidified). This type of crater can be found on most solid planets and moon but what’s nice about the ones on the Moon is that they are considered ‘pristine’. They don’t suffer from erosion the same way as they do on, say, Mars or Earth. Tycho is 51 mi (82 km) in diameter with a depth of 4,500 m (15,700 ft or 2.97 mi). The central peak is about 1.24 mi (2 km) high and about 9.3 mi (15 km) long, while the rim is about 2.92 mi (4.7 km) high. The meteorite was estimated to be 8-10 km wide. It’s also a relatively ‘young’ crater estimated at being 110 MYO. NASA uses the Bhabha crater as an example of what Tycho might look like after a couple of billion years. Whereas an (albeit considerably smaller) Earthly example would be the now heavily eroded Mistastin crater (28 km wide) with an age of only 36.6 +/- 2 MY, and a central peak (known as Horseshoe Island) of only ~130 m (427 ft) with ~50 m (164 ft) high rim walls. An interesting side note about this crater is the presence of a “‘weird-looking’ grain of zircon”. The impact heated the rocks at the site to a temperature of at least 2,370 C (4,300 F) which is, apparently, the hottest known temperature recorded by a surface rock on Earth. The asteroid’s composition was alleged to be that of iron.

In the Tycho image, I have a clear idea of what ‘sacred ground’ might look like. But it’s the central peak that really got my attention because, even though I had seen many examples of complex craters, I had never thought about it before and it started to take on a different meaning.

Later, on page 210-211 of CatHoM, Laura writes:
“Of more importance to us here is the relationship between wells and courses of water to the worship of Saturn, because that relates back to Moses and other Biblical figures and their “women at the Wells”. There is a legend in the Jerusalem Talmud that Lewy recounts and explains as follows:

“When David was digging the canals for the sanctuary, he dug fifteen-hundred cubits deep (*over 2000 feet!) but did not reach the nether waters. Finally he hit a rock which he wanted to remove, even though the rock warned him not to do so because it was covering up the abyss. When, in spite of this warning, David lifted the rock, the great primordial waters rose and threatened to flood the earth. Thereupon it was decided to inscribe the Name of the Lord upon the stone and to throw it into the flood waters. … The beginning of this legend vividly recalls a passage in Assurnasirapli’s Annals where, describing the preparations for the construction of the Ninurta-temple… the Assyrian king expresses himself as follows: “I dug down to the level of the water, to a depth of one hundred and twenty layers of brick I penetrated. The temple of Ninurta, my Lord, I founded in its midst.”

The reason why both David and Assurnasirapli dug down to the level of the nether water is somewhat illuminated by the fact that the interior of the Kaaba at Mecca, there is a well across the opening of which was placed, in the pre-Islamic period, the statue of the god Hubal. … This peculiarity suggests that a special relation was assumed to have existed between the deity inhabiting the shrine and the subsoil waters. … The nature of this relation is elucidated by the… fact that the statue of Hubal was placed upon the opening of the well; for this indicates that the deity’s own body was thought to prevent the nether waters from rising and flooding the earth. … this same belief had once been current in Jerusalem.”

“In the Talmudic legend Lewy recites above about David digging down and releasing the flood waters, the stone that the name of the lord was inscribed on and thrown back into the well was called Eben Setiia (eben shetiya) or ‘fire stone’. In other passages from extra-biblical sources, the Eben Setiia was in the center of the Holy of Holies in Solomon’s Temple and the Ark of the Covenant supposedly stood on top of it, being the ‘earthly throne’ of Yahweh.”

I eventually assembled a picture in my mind based on this info and decided to draw it. It sometimes helps me to physically see it.

Complex Crater Idea (Redux-Final).jpg

I based this simplistic drawing on an image from the Complex Crater wiki. In the case of the crater, you have the outer rim establishing the ‘boundary of sacred ground’. It made sense to me that the central peak could act as the stele(?) marking the location of the ‘piece of god’ in the underworld. In order to retrieve the meteorite, exploratory tunnels would have to be dug to locate the stone which I suppose could turn into quite a maze. I also had the thought that ground water or rain water could have flooded the tunnels thus creating a ‘well’ of sorts. And, of course, when one digs underground tunnel collapse is always a worry.

Outside of the idea of this central peak being a possible down-sized inspiration for the stele and perhaps the ‘boundary stone’, I also wonder if it might be the inspiration for the ‘tumulus’ (kurgan, barrow, tomb).

Now, this is all speculation but there was something unexpected that came out of the drawing that looked vaguely familiar. I thought I had seen something like it before and found it in the Pyramid of Khufu.

Cross-section-interior-Great-Pyramid-of-Khufu (resize).jpg

There are many other pyramids that have a similar underground structure in Egypt like the pyramid at Medium, the Pyramid of Khafre, the Bent Pyramid, and the Step Pyramid (Pyramid of Djoser). I’m not implying that there were actual meteorites found under these sites, just that the structures could’ve been built to mimic the complex crater’s central peak with the tomb placed in a similar position (with exceptions) as the meteorite.

I wonder if there could have been some very old, perhaps partial texts of some sort that documented a successful recovery of a meteorite that was interpreted to eventually become pyramids? If these structures were designed to prevent grave robbing (which was mostly unsuccessful) could the recovery of a meteorite be seen by some as such?

(Update) At this point I was ready to post this and looked for an appropriate thread. I came across THE GREAT PYRAMID, 15,000 YEARS OLD? and seemed like an ok place. But I realised that where I was going with this was not up to par after realising I had forgotten what the C’s said in the transcripts about the Pyramid. I felt pretty dejected after all the work I had put into it and concluded that I might have to trash it. I went for a walk.

I started to think about the Pyramid itself as a resonator and tried to think how or even if there was some connection with the meteorite and complex crater. I wondered that if a meteorite was recovered in the way I drew, if the people maybe started to ‘hear voices’ under the ground. In my mind, I played with my drawing and modified the tunnel system under the central peak to look more like the ‘King’s Chamber’ in the Pyramid with the meteorite in a central room at the bottom. I then wondered if the other pyramids mentioned were early attempts of the I then wondered if maybe all early ‘burial mounds’ might have been used as ‘communication chambers’. I then thought of stele and pillars being like antennae to amplify resonance which led me to thinking about the collapsed rim walls of the crater itself and wondered if they might be somehow involved with resonance. I don’t quite know how I jumped to it, but I suddenly thought about the complex crater as being a gigantic radio dish, and right then a picture of the Arecibo Observatory that was built into a natural sinkhole in Puerto Rico flashed in my mind. A quick internet search also brought up the Five-hundred-meter Aperture Spherical radio Telescope (FAST) in China and the huge RATAN-600 in Russia.

Could a complex crater be used as a communication ‘device’? There are no ‘pristine’ examples on Earth anymore but I think it would certainly make sense that they would be considered sacred ground if they were used as such. And yet at the same time, it’s rather ridiculous that this is idea is based on the drawing of an idea. In a way, it’s like attributing deep meaning to ‘found’ numbers when there is nothing. The whole thing might just be some elaborate message about networking, communication and listening.

Something else that Laura mentioned (the direct quote I can’t find at the moment) was impact crater ejecta looking like a lotus flower. Due to erosion, there are no examples on Earth that I have been able to find and the ones that I looked at from the Moon look different. On Mars, I was able to find two examples that have been described as a ‘flame’ or ‘flower’ pattern.

The first one is an unnamed crater but you can quite easily see how the description applies. The crater is only 11 km wide and is very young because of the existence of such clear ridges, though there is evidence of dust and dirt filling in the crater. I’ve made an outline of ridges to get a better idea.

Unnamed crater- Mars (side-by-side).jpg

This one is even nicer. This is Yuty crater, also very young, and shows a clear design that looks very much like overlapping petals. What helps these two examples to be very flower-like, is also the existence of a central peak. In a way, it’s like a stamen.

Yuty Crater- Mars (side-by-side).jpg

(Update 2) I had a rethink of my drawing and thought specifically about the central peak and the King's Chamber. A thought came to me that perhaps obtaining the meteorite was not the point. Maybe the central peak was more important. Perhaps a tunnel was carved into the central peak and then a space inside was hollowed out to create a resonating chamber and used for energy collection or something else?

CCIR- RCI (Final).jpg

Might it have been viewed as 'god' sending humans a 'telephone'? That would be pretty sacred ground.

One more thing: I remembered seeing photos of the Shivalingam.

Shivalingam example.jpg

I can't help but think, now, of a complex crater: the central peak, the flat crater floor, the stepped (collapsed) rim, and then there are the other symbols of the snake and water.

Back
Top Bottom