A Tribute to Andrei Tarkovsky

loreta

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Tarkovsky is my favorite director. Not just because he is Russian but because he is Russian he understands the road of the soul. I know that in the forum there are few who love him, not many but maybe 2 or 3? ;-)

When I see a Tarkovsky movie it is like I can pray, me who have difficulty to pray. It is like a long meditation, me who finds meditation very difficult. But not with Tarkovsky. And today, because the world is a crazy place to live some days, I had the nostalgia of Tarkovsky. And because maybe you also find this planet in turmoil and hard to put on your elbows, you will find tranquility and peace of mind with this little tribute to the most important director of the 20 Century.

And if you don't know him you will have a glimpse of his profound talent and wisdom. Enjoy.

And if you don't know him you will have a glimpse of his profound talent and wisdom. Enjoy.

Aw,Just got my headphones on and it tells me video unavailable. Will have a look on you tube to see if I canfind him there.

Aw,Just got my headphones on and it tells me video unavailable. Will have a look on you tube to see if I canfind him there.
Yes just look at Tribute to Adrei Tarkovsky. I was able to go from here pulsing an arrow at the right side of the video. But going to Youtube you can see the video. No problem at all. The videos about him are very "protected". Strange. He is dead since more then 30 years.

One of the things I've noticed in Tarkovsky's films is a sense of adherence to nature. If a place is damp, you can feel it. If it's raining outside you can hear it. It's really tangible in his films. We're all weather vanes in a sense, just look at people with seasonal affected disorder as an example. I think those afflicted with SAD are actually just sensitive empaths, there's nothing wrong with them in my view.

I've got this documentary here on his work on what was to be his final film, The Sacrifice. I own the film on DVD and have yet to watch it. Maybe keep it for Friday night. Here's the doc I found anyway. He was a real intellectual who thought about the grammar of film making. How you capture a scene, what it means, and how it is conveyed. He also used long takes so you could slowly take in a scene, observe not only a character, but also take in their surroundings. In our mad quick take modern cinema world, his work is way better in my view. I think he'd hate most modern films for that reason alone.

Thank you SlipNet! I agree with you, in his movies nature is so present, air, water, mineral, vegetal, fire, earth... and he (Andrei) makes you feel it, touch it, smell it, communication without words, doing everything to make you part of his work, of his poetry because he is a so magnificent poet of the image. That's why his camera is so slow, so present, and the music also so important. Oh I like him very much.

Thank you for the video, I will see it. I want also to see again Andrei Rublev.

As a reader of Sott and this forum, I think you'll really love watching Andrei Rublev again. It's a tremendous film for me. I don't know if you know of the Icon Painter Jonathan Pageau, but again I think of his work after seeing this film recently. Pageau would love this film, and I'm sure he's seen it. It's the eternal battle of being in this world without being of this world, that's the only way to "enjoy the show". How a man retains his faith in face of unspeakable atrocities is the key. It reminds me of a quote by E Michael Jones, that God allows evil to prosper before being corrected, because it is superior to abridging free will in the first place. Let me know what you think about Andrei Rublev on this thread, as an enthusiastic fan of the film I'd really like to hear your response.

The movie I love most is Stalker. Every time I watch it, I find something else I need to think about, like this :
“But how can I put a name to what it is that I want? How am I to know that I really don't want what I want, or that I really don't want what I don't want? These are intangibles that the moment you name them their meaning evaporates like jellyfish in the sun.”

Back
Top Bottom