Acoustic Levitation: Scientists Use Sound Make Objects Levitate (VIDEO)

Navigator

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/20/acoustic-levitation-stere_n_429558.html

Scientists have developed a sound generator so powerful its shock waves can stun, and even kill people.

Another group of researchers have developed another unusual application for sound: a method of "acoustic levitation" that could help maintain colonies on Mars or the moon by using high-pitched sound waves to remove alien dust.

Wired explains,
Blasting a high-pitched noise from a tweeter into a pipe that focuses the sound waves can create enough pressure to lift troublesome alien dust off surfaces, according to a study published January in the Journal of the Acoustical Society of America.

Extra-terrestrial missions have been plagued by dust and debris, which cling to rovers and astronauts because lunar and Martian environments lack the Earth's water or atmosphere that can displace the particles.

According to Wired,
Electrostatic charging from solar winds and UV radiation on the Moon makes this sharp dust cling to everything, including astronaut suits where it can work its way through the glove air locks. It also sticks to the solar panels that power rovers and other instruments.

See acoustic levitation for yourself in the video below! Using only sound waves, the scientists are able to lift mock "Martian and lunar dust" off of a solar panel. Cool!

Click the link above to watch the video.

Navigator said:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/20/acoustic-levitation-stere_n_429558.html

Scientists have developed a sound generator so powerful its shock waves can stun, and even kill people.

Another group of researchers have developed another unusual application for sound: a method of "acoustic levitation"

This acoustic levitation experiment reminded me of this early session:

941023 said:
Q: (L) What was Stonehenge built to do or be used for?
A: Energy director.
Q: (L) What was this energy to be directed to do?
A: All things.
Q: (L) Was the energy to be directed outward or inward to the center?
A: Both.
Q: (L) Are you suggesting we should get together and try to move something with
sound?
A: Yes.

Another group of researchers have developed another unusual application for sound: a method of "acoustic levitation" that could help maintain colonies on Mars or the moon by using high-pitched sound waves to remove alien dust.

Wired explains,
Blasting a high-pitched noise from a tweeter into a pipe that focuses the sound waves can create enough pressure to lift troublesome alien dust off surfaces, according to a study published January in the Journal of the Acoustical Society of America.

Extra-terrestrial missions have been plagued by dust and debris, which cling to rovers and astronauts because lunar and Martian environments lack the Earth's water or atmosphere that can displace the particles.

According to Wired,
Electrostatic charging from solar winds and UV radiation on the Moon makes this sharp dust cling to everything, including astronaut suits where it can work its way through the glove air locks. It also sticks to the solar panels that power rovers and other instruments.

See acoustic levitation for yourself in the video below! Using only sound waves, the scientists are able to lift mock "Martian and lunar dust" off of a solar panel. Cool!

Sounds like this is pointing towards another hit for the C's:

Q: (L) Who built Stonehenge?
A: Druids.
Q: (L) Who were the Druids?
A: Early Aryan group.
Q: (L) How did they move the stones and set them up?
A: Sound wave focusing; try it yourself; coral castle.
Q: (L) Who taught the Druids to use the sound waves?
A: They knew; handed down.
Q: (L) When was Stonehenge built?
A: 6000 approx. BC
Q: (L) Are you suggesting we should get together and try to move something with sound?
Q: (L) Does this sound come from our bodies?
A: Learn. Laura will find answer through discovery.

old-news.jpg

Would you like to remove this sarcastic "photo comment" and apologise for it altamash, or should I do it for you?

This reminds me of the experiments done with instruments such as speakers used to levitate objects such as a ping-pong ball.

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94KzmB2bI7s
This is an acoustic levitation chamber I designed and built in 1987 as a micro-gravity experiment for NASA related subject matter.
The 12 inch cubed plexiglas Helmholtz Resonant Cavity has 3 speakers attached to the cube by aluminium acoustic waveguides.
By applying a continuous resonant(600Hertz) sound wave, and by adjusting the amplitude and phase relationship amongst the 3 speakers; I was able to control levitation and movement in all 3 (x,y,z) axis of the ambient space.
This research was used to show the effects of micro-gravity conditions that exist in the space shuttle environment in orbit, but done here on Earth in a lab.
This is not "anti-gravity." So don't waste time arguing something pointless.

These's an interesting one which also employs a magnetic field:

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpvbqdXJ1lM

Perceval said:
Would you like to remove this sarcastic "photo comment" and apologise for it altamash, or should I do it for you?

Feel free to remove the photo Perceval, but definitely don't apologize for him -- he needs to do that himself ;)

By the way, I just realized that I was conflating altamash and Eboard10 in my mind because of the similar avatars -- Eboard10, I'm glad you posted so that I know not to mix you two up anymore.

a method of "acoustic levitation" that could help maintain colonies on Mars

Maybe not really needed, as the opportunity and spirit solar panels demonstrate, the mission was supposed to last 90 days or so, and they have been working for 4 or 5 years now due to unexpected conditions (as i think the NASA scientists call it) that keep cleaning the solar panels.

The sarcastic picture isn't necessary but it is kind of curious that the Huffington Post is running an article about this now with an accompanying video from 1987. They do seem to present it as if it is a recent development, when in fact, it is not.

Shijing said:
By the way, I just realized that I was conflating altamash and Eboard10 in my mind because of the similar avatars -- Eboard10, I'm glad you posted so that I know not to mix you two up anymore.

That thought did cross my mind when I saw his avatar. :)

I'm also of the opinion that the sarcasm wasn't necessary for the reason that although the news might be old, it is always good if this topic is brought to the forum so that we can share our views on the matter.

Ask_a_debtor said:
The sarcastic picture isn't necessary but it is kind of curious that the Huffington Post is running an article about this now with an accompanying video from 1987. They do seem to present it as if it is a recent development, when in fact, it is not.

And it won't be the first time. Reading and keeping up with scientific discoveries or news is a hobby of mine, and on several occasions I read an article and could swear that I already read about this "new and exciting" discovery a year or so ago. Well, one time I did search for previous mentioning and was able to found it. Wish I could remember what it was.

Recycling of news or discoveries can be done for all kinds of reasons: Lack of interesting news, advertisement if discovery in question suddenly received a budget or is seeking for one. Maybe sometimes even to cover up for the general degeneration of genuine creative thought in scientific community. :) Who knows.

Eboard10 said:
This reminds me of the experiments done with instruments such as speakers used to levitate objects such as a ping-pong ball.

This is an acoustic levitation chamber I designed and built in 1987 as a micro-gravity experiment for NASA related subject matter.
The 12 inch cubed plexiglas Helmholtz Resonant Cavity has 3 speakers attached to the cube by aluminium acoustic waveguides.
By applying a continuous resonant(600Hertz) sound wave, and by adjusting the amplitude and phase relationship amongst the 3 speakers; I was able to control levitation and movement in all 3 (x,y,z) axis of the ambient space.
This research was used to show the effects of micro-gravity conditions that exist in the space shuttle environment in orbit, but done here on Earth in a lab.

to get it straight, it's not anti-gravity?! (he points out)

what is anti-gravity based on?
from wikipedia:

In physical cosmology, astronomy and celestial mechanics, anti-gravity is the idea of creating a place or object that is free from the force of gravity. It does not refer to the lack of weight under gravity experienced in free fall or orbit, nor to balancing the force of gravity with some other force, such as electromagnetism or aerodynamic lift.

so when it is not anti gravity as he claims, what force is behind this "levitation"?
a breeze, magnetic energy,free fall...... ?

Pashalis said:
Eboard10 said:

to get it straight, it's not anti-gravity?! (he points out)

what is anti-gravity based on?
from wikipedia:

In physical cosmology, astronomy and celestial mechanics, anti-gravity is the idea of creating a place or object that is free from the force of gravity. It does not refer to the lack of weight under gravity experienced in free fall or orbit, nor to balancing the force of gravity with some other force, such as electromagnetism or aerodynamic lift.

so when it is not anti gravity as he claims, what force is behind this "levitation"?
a breeze, magnetic energy,free fall...... ?

Right after the description of the video, the poster supplies this link _http://science.howstuffworks.com/acoustic-levitation1.htm

It is an article explaining the mechanism behind acoustic levitation, and it does not meet the definition of anti-gravity that you quoted.

article said:
By placing a reflector the right distance away from a transducer, the acoustic levitator creates a standing wave. When the orientation of the wave is parallel to the pull of gravity, portions of the standing wave have a constant downward pressure and others have a constant upward pressure. The nodes have very little pressure.

In space, where there is little gravity, floating particles collect in the standing wave's nodes, which are calm and still. On Earth, objects collect just below the nodes, where the acoustic radiation pressure, or the amount of pressure that a sound wave can exert on a surface, balances the pull of gravity.

So pressure from the sound in the air balances the pull of gravity, there is a counterbalancing force.

Ordinary sound waves are limited by their linear nature. Increasing the amplitude of the wave causes the sound to be louder, but it doesn't affect the shape of the wave form or cause it to be much more physically powerful.

However, extremely intense sounds -- like sounds that are physically painful to human ears -- are usually nonlinear. They can cause disproportionately large responses in the substances they travel through. Some nonlinear affects include:

* Distorted wave forms
* Shock waves, like sonic booms
* Acoustic streaming, or the constant flow of the fluid the wave travels through
* Acoustic saturation, or the point at which the matter can no longer absorb any more energy from the sound wave

Nonlinear acoustics is a complex field, and the physical phenomena that cause these effects can be difficult to understand. But in general, nonlinear affects can combine to make an intense sound far more powerful than a quieter one. It is because of these affects that a wave's acoustic radiation pressure can become strong enough to balance the pull of gravity. Intense sound is central to acoustic levitation -- the transducers in many levitators produce sounds in excess of 150 decibels (dB). Ordinary conversation is about 60 dB, and a loud nightclub is closer to 110 dB.

Nonlinear acoustics seems like an interesting field.

Longitudinal Waves and Tuning Forks --http://www.physicsclassroom.com/mmedia/waves/tfl.cfm
There is another important characteristic of waves depicted in the animation above. A careful inspection of the particles of the air (represented by dots) reveal that the air molecules are nudged rightward and then move back leftward to their original position. Air molecules are continuously vibrating back and forth about their original position. There is no net displacement of the air molecules. The molecules of air are only temporarily disturbed from their rest position; they always return to their original position. In this sense, a sound wave (like any wave) is a phenomenon which transports energy from one location to another without transporting matter.

and from he c s we have
Q: (L) Who built Stonehenge?
A: Druids.
Q: (L) Who were the Druids?
A: Early Aryan group.
Q: (L) How did they move the stones and set them up?
A: Sound wave focusing; try it yourself;
coral castle.
Q: (L) Who taught the Druids to use the sound waves?
A: They knew; handed down.
Q: (L) When was Stonehenge built?
A: 6000 approx. BC
Q: (L) Are you suggesting we should get together and try to move something with sound?

Q: (L) Does this sound come from our bodies?
A: Learn. Laura will find answer through discovery.

somewhere else tuning fork like instruments where mentioned in the context of moving stuff/stones ...so should we get together and try and move something with tuning forks?

Back
Top Bottom