Air Cleaning House Plants

shijing

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I ran across this article last week and thought it was useful and interesting. From the website:

Houseplants can be very beneficial in our lives. They purify and renew our stale indoor air by filtering out toxins, pollutants and the carbon dioxide we exhale - replacing them with life sustaining oxygen!

Although it should be safe to presume that all plants are capable of removing toxins from our air, research by NASA showed that some house plants are more efficient in filtering out toxins than others. Philodendrons, Spider plants, and Pothos were found to be the most efficient in the removal of formaldehyde. Gerbera Daisies and Chrysanthemums were found to be effective in the removal of benzene, a known carcinogen.

As a rule of thumb, allow one houseplant per 100 square feet of living area. The more vigorous the plant, the more air it can filter. Keep in mind that plants will not do much to alleviate tobacco smoke or dust in the air.
The article lists eleven species, which you can click on the names of and get more information:

_http://www.blankees.com/house/plants/air_cleaners.htm

I already have access to two of them (aloe vera and chrysanthemums), and am planning on moving them inside for the winter so they can filter my E-E space (and hopefully the house in general!).
 

RyanX

The Living Force
shijing said:
I already have access to two of them (aloe vera and chrysanthemums), and am planning on moving them inside for the winter so they can filter my E-E space (and hopefully the house in general!).
From what I've read aloa vera is a great plant to keep by one's bedside. It's one of the few plants that will release oxygen and absorb carbon dioxide only at nighttime. This, in addition to the ability to filter certain toxins too.

I acquired a book awhile back that discusses the ability of certain plants to filter out certain toxins. I believe it was called, How to Grow Fresh Air _http://www.amazon.com/How-Grow-Fresh-Air-Plants/dp/0140262431 What you posted above sounds like it was taken right out of that book. The book also discusses common issues with plant needs and maintenance too, so it's a good all around guide to houseplants in addition to being educational in how they filter toxins.
 

shijing

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
RyanX said:
From what I've read aloa vera is a great plant to keep by one's bedside. It's one of the few plants that will release oxygen and absorb carbon dioxide, but only at nighttime. This, in addition to the ability to filter certain toxins too.
That's good to know, RyanX, and thanks for the info -- I will try to set up an aloe vera in my bedroom this weekend!

RyanX said:
I acquired a book awhile back that discusses the ability of certain plants to filter out certain toxins. I believe it was called, How to Grow Fresh Air _http://www.amazon.com/How-Grow-Fresh-Air-Plants/dp/0140262431 What you posted above sounds like it was taken right out of that book. The book also discusses common issues with plant needs and maintenance too, so it's a good all around guide to houseplants in addition to being educational in how they filter toxins.
OK, thanks for that link too -- I'll look it up, because I like plants a lot and never gave any thought to their filtering abilities, so I'd like to learn more so that I can buy future plants with this in mind.
 

Mayb

Jedi
Thanks for the info. Some people go in other direction, my mom has at least 10 plants in one 30m2 room.
 
G

Gertrudes

Guest
Thanks for the info Shijing and RyanX.
On this subject, here is someting that I found. It is extracted from a Feng Shui book but the data is quite interesting:

The Feng Shui Bible by Simon Brown said:
Research indicates that plants can help reduce the affects of EMF (Electromagnetic fields). The Institut Des Recherches en Geobiologie at Chadonne in Switzerland carried out a two year research programme in offices on New York's Wall Street, to examine the effects of keeping plants next to computer terminals. The most effective plant was Cereus peruvianuf (a type of cactus, 40cm/ 16 in high), which reduced the incidence of headaches and tiredness among employees when placed next to the computers. Other investigations have promoted the Peace Lily and Spider plant as having similar properties.
 

shijing

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Gertrudes said:
The Feng Shui Bible by Simon Brown said:
Research indicates that plants can help reduce the affects of EMF (Electromagnetic fields). The Institut Des Recherches en Geobiologie at Chadonne in Switzerland carried out a two year research programme in offices on New York's Wall Street, to examine the effects of keeping plants next to computer terminals. The most effective plant was Cereus peruvianuf (a type of cactus, 40cm/ 16 in high), which reduced the incidence of headaches and tiredness among employees when placed next to the computers. Other investigations have promoted the Peace Lily and Spider plant as having similar properties.
Thanks a lot for this great info Gertrudes -- not only do I live in an area where its easy to get ahold of cacti, but the fact that I virtually live in front of my laptop makes this very relevant to me. Good to know :)
 

Lindenlea

The Living Force
Thanks Shijing and Ryanx,

I have an overgrown Aloe Vera which I was undecided about, it is definately going to be divided up and repotted for all the bedrooms now.

I shall buy the flowering plants too and keep them in the living areas.

Great!
 

Bo

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
We all know that our environment is toxic and plants have been proven to remove airborne harmful contaminants and improving our health by reducing fatigue, headache , coughing and irritation of the eyes.

Some articles which were posted on SOTT regarding plants;
Indoor Plants Could Save Your Life
Top Houseplants for Improving Indoor Air Quality

There are A LOT of articles and data on how plants clean our toxic air, here is a list of plants which are healthy to have indoor! (sources see end of this page.) If you don't know what the toxin means , click on it's name.

1. Areca Palm
Removes: All tested indoor air toxins

2. Lady Palm
Removes: most pollutants.

3. Bamboo Palm
Removes: benzene, trichloroethylene, formaldehyde.

4. Rubber Plant
Removes: most pollutants, especially formaldehyde.

5. Dracaena "Janet Craig"
Removes: most pollutants, especially trichloroethylene.

6. English Ivy
Removes: most pollutants, especially formaldehyde.

7. Dwarf Date Palm
Removes: most pollutants, especially xylene.

8. Ficus Alii
Removes: most pollutants, especially formaldehyde.

9. Boston Fern
Removes:most pollutants, especially formaldehyde.

10. Peace Lily
Removes: alcohols, acetone, trichloroethylene, benzene, formaldehyde.


Sources:

1. _http://arecapalmtree.com/areca-palm-landscaping-uses/
2. _http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:e0O4qnI43VAJ:sardosgarden.multiply.com/journal/item/1+lady+palm+removes&cd=4&hl=nl&ct=clnk&gl=nl&client=firefox-a
3. _http://plantsolutions.com/documents/10BestPlants.pdf (PDF)
4. _http://childrenofthestars.ning.com/profiles/blogs/10-best-air-purifying-plants
5. _http://linseygetsfresh.blogspot.com/2009/04/improve-indoor-air-quality-with.html
 

bjorn

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
-Hey Bo

Thanks for sorting this out - and no I wasn't aware of those toxins so pointing me out towards those websites for further explanations was helpful.

What I particular find interesting is which is stated if you follow that first sott link, that indoor air can be more than 12 times more polluted than the air outside.

That surely is a motivation to put those plants around your living environment.

Now lies the questions if they are widely available, well I find that out soon.

Thanks for informing me.
 

Gimpy

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
This looks really interesting, but the big question I have is this: are any of these plants toxic to animals? Like dogs and cats? :/

(I'll have a look later today, the brain isn't cooperating well :-[ )

Bo said:
We all know that our environment is toxic and plants have been proven to remove airborne harmful contaminants and improving our health by reducing fatigue, headache , coughing and irritation of the eyes.

Some articles which were posted on SOTT regarding plants;
Indoor Plants Could Save Your Life
Top Houseplants for Improving Indoor Air Quality

There are A LOT of articles and data on how plants clean our toxic air, here is a list of plants which are healthy to have indoor! (sources see end of this page.) If you don't know what the toxin means , click on it's name.

1. Areca Palm
Removes: All tested indoor air toxins

2. Lady Palm
Removes: most pollutants.

3. Bamboo Palm
Removes: benzene, trichloroethylene, formaldehyde.

4. Rubber Plant
Removes: most pollutants, especially formaldehyde.

5. Dracaena "Janet Craig"
Removes: most pollutants, especially trichloroethylene.

6. English Ivy
Removes: most pollutants, especially formaldehyde.

7. Dwarf Date Palm
Removes: most pollutants, especially xylene.

8. Ficus Alii
Removes: most pollutants, especially formaldehyde.

9. Boston Fern
Removes:most pollutants, especially formaldehyde.

10. Peace Lily
Removes: alcohols, acetone, trichloroethylene, benzene, formaldehyde.


Sources:

1. _http://arecapalmtree.com/areca-palm-landscaping-uses/
2. _http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:e0O4qnI43VAJ:sardosgarden.multiply.com/journal/item/1+lady+palm+removes&cd=4&hl=nl&ct=clnk&gl=nl&client=firefox-a
3. _http://plantsolutions.com/documents/10BestPlants.pdf (PDF)
4. _http://childrenofthestars.ning.com/profiles/blogs/10-best-air-purifying-plants
5. _http://linseygetsfresh.blogspot.com/2009/04/improve-indoor-air-quality-with.html
 

Pierre

SuperModerator
Moderator
FOTCM Member
Gimpy said:
This looks really interesting, but the big question I have is this: are any of these plants toxic to animals? Like dogs and cats? :/
Here is a list of plants (excerpt from an ASPCA document) that are toxic to dogs and cats.

I bolded the ones that are also listed in the air cleaning plants list above.

Amarylillis
Apple Leaf Croton
Autumn Crocus
Avacado (fruit and pit)
Azalea
Baby's Breath
Bittersweet
Bird of Paradise
Branching Ivy
Buckey
Buddist Pine
Caladium
Calla Lily
Castor Bean
Ceriman
Charming Dieffenbachia
Chinese Evergreen
Christmas Rose
Cineraria
Clematis
Cordatum
Corn Plant
Cornstalk Plant
Croton
Cuban Laurel
Cutleaf Philodendron
Cycads
Cyclamen
Daffodil
Devil's Ivy
Dianthus
Dieffenbachia
Dracaena Palm
Dragon Tree
Dumb Cane
Dianthus
Easter Lily (in cats!!!!)
Elaine
Elephant Ears
Emerald Feather
English Ivy
Fiddle-leaf fig
Florida Beauty
Foxglove
Fruit Salad Plant
Geranium
German Ivy
Giant Dumb Cane
Glacier Ivy
Gold Dieffenbachia
Gold Dust Dracaena
Golden Pothos
Hahn's Self-Branching Ivy
Heartland Philodendron
Hops
Hurricane Plant
Indian Rubber Plant
Janet Craig Dracaena
Japanese Show Lily (cats !!!)
Jeusalem Cherry
Kalanchoe
Lacy Tree Philodendron
Lily of the Valley
Madagascar Dragon Tree
Marble Queen
Marijuana
Mexican Breadfruit
Miniature Croton
Mistletoe
Morning Glory
Mother-in Law's Tongue
Narcissus
Needlepoint Ivy
Nephytis
Nightshade
Oleander
Onion
Oriental Lily (cats!!!)
Peace Lily
Pencil Cactus
Plumosa Fern
Poinsettia (low toxicity)
Poison Ivy
Poison Oak
Pothos
Precatory Bean
Primrose
Red Emerald
Red Princess
Red-Margined Dracaena
Rhododendron
Ribbon Plant
Saddle Leaf Philodendron
Sago Palm
Satin Pothos
Schefflera
Silver Pothos
Spotted Dumb Cane
Stargazer lily (cats!!!)
String of Pearls
Striped Dracaena
Sweetheart Ivy
Swiss Cheese Plant
Taro Vine
Tiger Lily (cats!!!)
Tobacco
Tree Philodendron
Tropic Snow Dieffenbachia
Weeping Fig
Yew
 

Keit

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
Belibaste said:
Gimpy said:
This looks really interesting, but the big question I have is this: are any of these plants toxic to animals? Like dogs and cats? :/
Here is a list of plants (excerpt from an ASPCA document) that are toxic to dogs and cats.

Peace Lily
I have a question about this list. What does it mean toxic for animals? Is it toxic only when they eat it or when those plants are in their area? We have a cat and a dog and also two big peace lilies, and it seems like it doesn't have any negative effect on them.
 

Gimpy

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I think some of those, like the Peace Lily, are for eating the plant or chewing on it? Following the link on the plants Bellibaste listed (thank you!) I found pictures of some of the plants and more info here: http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/plants/


The page includes a picture of the plant, when you click on it, it then gives you the listing of symptoms and if its poisonous by eating, or skin contact etc. :D
 

Bo

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I think some of those, like the Peace Lily, are for eating the plant or chewing on it? Following the link on the plants Bellibaste listed (thank you!) I found pictures of some of the plants and more info here: http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/plants/
Indeed, I think it just applies to eating it or chewing on it, I have not yet come across anything which says that it is dangerous only when it is in the area,

As long as you can keep your cats and dogs away from touching/eating/chewing it, they should be fine.

Unless some other members have different advice?
 
Top Bottom