Any GOOD horror movies?

highmystica

Jedi Master
I have not seen a good horror movie in years. Gore flicks and jump scares don't fit the bill. Or rather they don't anymore, complete lack of depth and dreadfully boring. Horror is suposed to be at least scary and stay with you for awhile. It's the season for it why oh why can't I find any? The last one I saw was Twixt. It is honestly a cool atmospheric true gothic horror. No gore or BS. I do recommend it. But nothing on xfinity, netflix or hulu that is worthwhile. Have any of you found anything good?

The trailer for Twixt:

I did find the Dusk Maiden of Amnesia cool for anime horror ... better if you don't watch the Ferris Beuler ending of it (after the credits). But, well it is anime and comes with certain things that you would expect.

I have not seen a good horror movie in years. Gore flicks and jump scares don't fit the bill. Or rather they don't anymore, complete lack of depth and dreadfully boring. Horror is suposed to be at least scary and stay with you for awhile. It's the season for it why oh why can't I find any? The last one I saw was Twixt. It is honestly a cool atmospheric true gothic horror. No gore or BS. I do recommend it. But nothing on xfinity, netflix or hulu that is worthwhile. Have any of you found anything good?

The trailer for Twixt:

I did find the Dusk Maiden of Amnesia cool for anime horror ... better if you don't watch the Ferris Beuler ending of it (after the credits). But, well it is anime and comes with certain things that you would expect.

The Ritual and The Hollow were pretty good.They focused more on tension which is what you're looking for.If you're also a gamer try Forbidden Siren 2 if you can get your hands on it.Once of the finest pieces of horror entertainment ever made and weird horror is always the best.

Well, if you are looking to watch for a very good horror movie, the best one that I can recommend you but the movie is still not finished is simply called " The reality on our Big Bleu Planet". And not only we can watch it, but we are actors of this movie.

Your right about that highmystica, lots of trash out there in this category. I just finished watching The Haunting of Hill House on Netflix. I thought it was quite good (10 episodes). I saw the 1959 version when I was a kid and it scared the pj's off me but as an adult it didn't live up to my former experience. Figures, but the story had a special place in my psyche ever after so I've checked out the sequels which weren't very good. I didn't know it was a book.

The Haunting of Hill House is a 1959 gothic horror novel by American author Shirley Jackson. A finalist for the National Book Award and considered one of the best literary ghost stories published during the 20th century,[1] it has been made into two feature films and a play, and is the basis of a television series. Jackson's novel relies on terror rather than horror to elicit emotion in the reader, using complex relationships between the mysterious events in the house and the characters’ psyches.

She also wrote The Lottery which I just discovered.

"The Lottery" is a short story written by Shirley Jackson first published in the June 26, 1948 issue of The New Yorker.[1] The story describes a fictional small town which observes an annual ritual known as "the lottery", which results in the killing of one individual in the town."

The new version changes the story line significantly which is interesting. The main characters are now 5 psychically sensitive children who spend a summer in Hill House. As adults, we're told how the house affected their lives with flashbacks to their childhood culminating with a return to the house. A lot of character development with some odd twists. One ghost was especially original and weird.

The Others is my all time favorite haunted house story with Nicole Kidman, another Gothic horror.

A good haunted house film is hard to find.

Last edited:
Does "Dracula: Dead and loving it" counts as a horror movie? Otherwise the best is "Alien" (the first one).

Which "the hollow?" There are a few, and a cartoon series.
I watched a few mentioned ...
The Others is a classic. Haunter is cool along those lines.
Haunter trailer:

I don't play console games anymore (don't presently have a tv). I always wanted to play fatal frame though. Good horror games are hard to find.

"Silent Hill" for sure.

Silent Hill review
The story follows Rose you typical millenium mom, doing her best for her child. Sharon is adopted, about 10 years old, and makes the perfect innocent as the story unfolds. Sharon begins having nightmares, dangerous sleepwalks, and during her episodes she mentions Silent Hill. Rose thinks the best way to confront the problem is head on and sets out for the small town in west viginia, her daughter in tow.

The town seems to be a gateway or a window between two dimensions, there's the Silent Hill in our physicality and there's also a darker twisted version that seems to exist on top of ours. Rose, Sharon and a female police officer all get caught in the latter, and must survive the horror to find there way out. The whole movie reeks of 4D references, there's even a hyperdimensional being tossed in for the heck of it. It speaks of the power of emotions, specifically Hate, which is another quant reference, there's also my favorite line "Your religion causes death!".

The visuals are stunning, graphically the film is intense, it's not for the squemish. The puppets/CGI monsters are beautifully done and give the movie that edge that in my opinion revitalizes the thriller genre. It's not horrific really, just -flicked- up in a sick and twisted kinda way. All in all highly reccomended for its entertainment value and commentry on hyperdimensions and the beings that inhabit them. As a sidenote: I saw the film with a friend who just can grok the concept of hyperdimensions and he "didn't get it" and thought the film was lame.

You can see the little daughter Sharon as your own soul, that gets lost in a twilight zone - in silent hill. The search of the mother for her daughter is the hero's journey in search of liberation from this matrix.

Christophe Gans, the director, also made a movie called "Brotherhood of the Wolves". It is about the Beast of Gévaudan, wich was discussed in this forum before was and labeled as a "window faller" by the C's.

The best way to see a good horror movie is to read a good horror book. ;-D

But ok. I remember "Vacancy" as a good horror/terror movie, if you want chills and nightmare after that. :scared: I had some of these.

Good actors also.

When David (Luke Wilson) and Amy Fox's (Kate Beckinsale) car breaks down in the middle of nowhere, they are forced to spend the night at the only motel around, with only the TV to entertain them... until they discover that the low-budget slasher movies they're watching were all filmed in the very room they're sitting in. With hidden cameras now aimed at them...trapping them in rooms, crawlspaces, underground tunnels...and filming their every move, David and Amy must struggle to get out alive before whomever is watching them can finish their latest masterpiece.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A couple relatively recent ones that I enjoyed are The Conjuring and A Quiet Place. I'm like you, I don't like gore or a movie's overreliance on jump scares. I prefer tension and psychological thrillers.

I love psychological movies too. I remember with pleasure this one: "Blood Simple" by Joel and Ethan Coen.

And why not a horror comedy? a classic one? 1985? It is a very funny movie... and it is important to laugh, every day.

Which "the hollow?" There are a few, and a cartoon series.
I watched a few mentioned ...
The Others is a classic. Haunter is cool along those lines.
Haunter trailer:

I don't play console games anymore (don't presently have a tv). I always wanted to play fatal frame though. Good horror games are hard to find.
Sorry it's actually The Hallow not The Hollow.Honest mistake

Back
Top Bottom