Article: ‘My parents’ life was a charade. Mum hated every minute of it’

Laura

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
I stumbled on this item today and while reading it, I wondered just how many people could be in the same position only they don't know it because their parents didn't write journals? One sees, immediately, of course, what a terrible toll it would take on both the parents and the children. So, I thought I would post it here for all of us to think about; to think about what it would be like to be in your parent's shoes; to think about how NOT to do this to your own children.

_https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/dec/23/mother-journals-parents-life-charade-torment
When her sober, upright mother died, Chris Youle read her journals and was shocked by the torment they contained

was always aware of their existence; the journals. I grew up believing that all mothers wrote them and kept them in locked cupboards. They were mentioned with an air of mystery and intrigue, but never really bothered me. Until now.

My mother and father were respectable churchgoers, highly intelligent, well-read and deep-thinking people. They seemed to be kind to other people. They were always going to meetings. They were serious and always right. They cared about religion, politics, education, philosophy, the third world. They cared.

So why did I end up with no memories of being cared for from my childhood? Why was I in therapy for most of their last decade, struggling with resentment at having to care for them, and feeling that nothing I did was good enough?

There was clearly a great deal to untangle but, after years of hard work and soul searching, I felt able to stop therapy and “leave home as an adult”. My parents were in their 90s by then, and further deteriorating. Father finally died, aged 95, and Mother, a year later, at 96.

That was when I opened the journals. What a baptism of fire! The shelves of benign notebooks that had sat so innocently in their cupboard, had been hiding monstrous cries of agony from the mother I had thought was just cold, quiet, inaccessible and ineffectual. What leaped out at me was a raging torrent of hate, confusion, resentment, unhappiness, anger. She was a woman in mental torment.

I knew she was tired a lot of the time. I knew she argued with my father behind closed doors. This erupted occasionally in front of me, as when she threw the Christmas tree my father had been out to buy on to the fire, because it was too small. Our season of joyfulness and festivity went up in a dramatic crackle. There were endless, fierce, low-toned discussions that went on long into the night through the wall between our bedrooms. But I just thought this was how life was.

It was home. It was all right. I played two-ball against the wall. I poked earwigs out of holes in the garden. I was scared of the air-raid shelter, but climbing on to its roof was fun. I had friends in the street. I was completely unaware that my mother hated it. She loathed the smog that made me cough. She despised the soot that landed on the washing on the line. She hated the rows of factory chimneys that we used to count from the top of the local hill. She hated the petty people. Worst, she really seemed to hate my father and resent me. I wouldn’t have known any of this without her journals. She poured her soul on to their pages. They were her only friend and confidante.

It was harrowing reading these raw truths. I was knocked sideways and furious. My entire childhood had been one big pretence. Secrets had lain behind closed doors. Anger had undermined relationships. Resentment must have distorted communications. Unhappiness was hidden away, gagged and screaming silently. I had been a nuisance, an irritation, an intrusion into her space and, at best, a curiosity. How dare she?

Re-reading the journals still leaves me desolate. How isolated and desperate she was, grappling with a serious clash between feelings and duties, between emotions and reason. She had no one to tell except her journals. She wrote them, in neat spidery script, for about 70 years. They are heart-wrenching. I want to reach back with my 60 extra years of wisdom and comfort her, reassure her that she is not alone, offer her the warmth and love that she hadn’t the capacity to offer me then.

But fury stalks my sadness. I want her back so that I can scream at her, beat her to a pulp, accuse her of hatred, hypocrisy and emotional neglect. I want to expose her. She had not loved my father at all. He was the focus of astonishingly vitriolic words and sentiments. I found the journals almost impossible to read in places.

I want him back, too, to say how terrible it must have been for him, and to give him some of the love she had never been able to give. He died a very unhappy man. I am now beginning to glimpse the origins of the deep distress he must have shouldered throughout his entire married life. His work as a research chemist must have sustained him until he retired. After that, it is no surprise to me now that he descended into decades of low-level depression and became quite an unpleasant person.

What the journals have done is confirm that it was not all my fault and that I am OK.

I can’t help thinking how much less traumatic it could have been had my mother been open and honest, and not lived a charade. Children are not stupid. They pick things up, but how can they be expected to make sense of such manipulative distortions of reality? They need explanations.

It is incredible that it took me until my 60s to see that, from the day I was born, I was supposed to compensate for their extreme unhappiness and fit into the mould they had designed for me. The more I struggled and made it obvious that the mould just didn’t fit me, the more unhappy they became and the more inadequate and unloved I felt. They -flick- you up, your mum and dad. But I’m sure they didn’t mean to.

I am left wondering why she wrote the journals at all. She must, at some level, have wanted me to see them, but not until she had died. She must have been trying to protect me from her unhappiness by keeping it between the covers of those notebooks, or so she thought. She was of a generation that had survived the war and found it difficult to complain about relatively trivial things like an unhappy marriage. How terribly sad it was that she felt unable to live a more authentic life.

Perhaps that’s her message … be honest and authentic. I had the advantage of Spare Rib magazine, early feminism and women’s support groups to help me to articulate my feelings during my difficult years of motherhood. My children’s generation have social media through which to express their feelings and discuss their doubts, fears and discontents. So perhaps things have moved on.

I suspect my story will echo with many readers. I hope that things have indeed moved on and we no longer feel the need for secrets and lies within relationships.

I think there is a lot of this going on, people hating their partners but putting on a big lie for the social benefit of the children. I don't know which is worse, lying about it or using the flame throwers in front of everyone. My parents (divorced in 1972) are still fighting and using us as pawns.

Yupo said:
I think there is a lot of this going on, people hating their partners but putting on a big lie for the social benefit of the children. I don't know which is worse, lying about it or using the flame throwers in front of everyone. My parents (divorced in 1972) are still fighting and using us as pawns.

There's an opd proverb which says, "if youre caught between choosing two options, always choose the third." ;)

These journals are a tremendois gift. Just imagine how much information about your childhood and adult parental relationship you coud acquire.

Children are certainly not stupid, it is amazing what they pick up. I know people that stay together 'for the sake of the kids', ignoring (or being unaware of) the fact that it is an emotionally toxic household that those kids are being raised in.

I am a bit conflicted about this- while being in a toxic relationship is definitely not an environment to raise kids in, neither is a single parent household. While the previous generation (baby boomers and older) might have had unresolved issues, they had clear cut roles (bread winner, home maker etc) & they stuck it out. My generation has high divorce rates- if the sh*t hits the fan, they part ways. That's not ideal either. It would be nice to have a balance of sorting oneself out (as Jordan Petrson says) working things out together in an honest & open way, and sticking it out for the long haul (providing it is not an abusive situation). As for the current generation of millennials, who are increasingly unsure of what gender or species they identify with, I just dunno what to say :huh:

I think this journal contains information that will help to many beings in the same conditions right now if they have the ability to see a mirror on it.This is only a great example how the social conventions can destroy the inner of human beings.

Such a sad story, yet not an uncommon one. The author says:

So why did I end up with no memories of being cared for from my childhood? Why was I in therapy for most of their last decade, struggling with resentment at having to care for them, and feeling that nothing I did was good enough?

What the journals have done is confirm that it was not all my fault and that I am OK.

It reminds me of Firestone's "fantasy bond" described in Fear of Intimacy:

The primary defense occurs at a time when the child would be in greater danger if he were abandoned by the parent. (..) When children are rejected or hurt they tend to imagine themselves as one with the destructive parent to somehow protect against the hurt and pain and rejection by the parent. Children defend this primary fantasy of fusion but, in so doing, must also incorporate the parental rejecting attitudes; that is, they have to maintain the self-concept that fits in with the early situations. Later on, they often resist information about themselves and their worth that contrasts with the way they tend to see themselves, based on parental rejection.

(...) The child cannot afford to find fault with the parent and see the parent as bad, because then his situation is truly hopeless. To defend against that pain and that despair, the child sees himself as bad and idealizes the parent. He wonders if by performing, by trying to please, or by doing the right thing, he can get the parents to love him. If he took the other position and saw the parents as at fault, his situation would appear more precarious. This is why this defense works.

The book then goes on to describe the self-parenting process that is a result of the fantasy bond and the impact of this on intimate relationships later in life.

Given that the author of the article mentions being in therapy for nearly a decade and having realised that "it was not all my fault and that I am OK" only after reading the journals, her life must have been a really bumpy road.

The attitude of the author's mother reminds me of a thread titled "Does anyone else regret having children?" I once stumbled upon: _https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/feeling_depressed/781410-Does-anyone-else-regret-having-children

The mother from the article raised her children decades ago, yet had she lived today she could have easily been one of the women who posted in that thread. It's really heartbreaking to think how many of these children will struggle with the same feelings the author of the article described.

When I see things like that, I really feel like our society shouldn't emphasize that women need/ should have children, because not everybody is fit to be a parent or would enjoy it. Or at least, people should know what parenting and married life entails instead of being given false expectation. I wonder if her mother's resentment to her father was caused by the fact that she felt that by marrying and becoming a mother, she had had to give up on her own dream and aspirations.

I think the problem arises from the modern invention that is the "nuclear" family. There is always a probability to have one or both of the parents defective in some way or another. In more traditional families, which are modeled on the tribal model, defects of parents are compensated by other members of the tribe (uncles, aunts, cousins, grandparents, etc.,) offering eventually a safety net for the development of children.

Yes that is really sad, but is real and i think it's better to know the truth even about your "loving parent,, then live a lie. I think this happend to more forum members, my mother she didn't write a journal, but deffinetly i have to pass that face too, but with a knowledge and love we can solve a bit this kind of problems. What i observe they are really desperate and they don't know how to behave and they live illusion so saying the truth and be honest is only one way for me to break that wrong connection. Is to know how to move, don't let they step out on you, but also is not good to be so impulsive, beause is when they activate them bad emotions. They choose to be that way, but we don''t have to repeat them errors. Happy Caesar's Chritmas to Everyone B-)

mkrnhr said:
I think the problem arises from the modern invention that is the "nuclear" family. There is always a probability to have one or both of the parents defective in some way or another. In more traditional families, which are modeled on the tribal model, defects of parents are compensated by other members of the tribe (uncles, aunts, cousins, grandparents, etc.,) offering eventually a safety net for the development of children.

I agree, sometimes people cling to an illusion of a "perfect family" and suffer the non-realization of this inculcated doctrine of how to carry your life on.

Children too need to come to the understanding that they are not the center of the universe at one point as they mature, and see parents as people, I think the phrase "you won't know until you have kids" apply, no parent is "born a parent" and there is no manual on how to raise kids, they are people like us children of them, i think in a sense the mother was indeed protecting her kid form her inner confusion and issues that she didn't know how else to handle.

Many parents stay together to portray this illusion onto their kids, and while there are different situations where both parents actually have a compatible dynamic that is healthier than others, many other people are not compatible and stick together for the wrong reasons. the responsibility of raising a kid mixed with lies can some times be much more damaging to everyone than call it quits and do a separate dynamic..

Reading this article really made me think: how many of us really are able to put ourselves in the shoes of our parents or grandparents and try to see the world through their eyes? How may of us try to find out who they really are - even if they are doing all they can to conceal that for fear of judgment?

I think it’s kind of the “Santa” myth for adults. Children expect unconditional love from parents, and that they were wanted and are a source of happiness and that’s all there is to it. Any disciplinary action, including narcissistic behavior, is explained away. Even as adults it’s really hard to get out of this happy illusion, to remember that parents are just other humans, that having kids doesn’t automatically create happiness or unconditional love even if the parents may act like it does and the kids may like to believe it. And kids are also “other humans”, something parents often forget and treat as an extension of themselves, even into adulthood.

There is a special bond that exists between kids and parents, and while it can be wonderful and should be there, I think that same bond prevents truly objective perception of who the other is as a human being, outside the bubble of feelings and assumptions created by this bond. I think it creates a certain narcissism in and of itself - every opinion the kid or the parent has about the situation revolves around “me”. The kid thinks my mom is nice, mean, manipulative, loving, caring, angry, happy, sad, etc but always followed by “to me” or “at me” or “with me” etc. And parents describe their kids as disobedient, lazy, playful, loving, etc but in the context of their expectations for them as their children, this “role” is always a factor even into adulthood.

So I totally agree, I think it’s easy to both appreciate and resent when it’s “about me” for both parties, but it probably would be a useful exercise to get out of that role of parent or child and try to see the other as a human with their own life, aspirations, fears, and yes mental issues like everyone else, and that it doesn’t always include you, it’s not your fault, it’s not your doing, and it’s not always about you or for you or because of you etc.

Sometimes parents or kids are just shitty people. Sometimes good, or a mix. The struggle/lessons of life spare no one, and seeing the human outside of their relationship/role in your life goes a long way to make the right choices to help them or help yourself much more appropriately than when coming at the problem with tunnel vision.

Case in point, it took me what like 30 years to come to terms with the fact that my mom is a narcissist and has all the symptoms of borderline personality disorder. The funny thing is, my dad is still largely in denial and resigned to helplessness and chooses to just ride this out. But I also know that underneath all that there is actual real love in her, but it often gets overruled by her “conditions”. So if I know this, it helps me develop a relationship with her in such a way that the necessary distance is created and a space for me to heal from years of psychological damage, without necessarily cutting her out of my life completely. But it’s also like navigating a razor’s edge and using “leverage” and “boundaries” as appropriate - like creating an understanding that if I visit certain behaviors are off limits, or I won’t visit, etc. Dad unfortunately has created no boundaries and has 0 leverage, and after years of trying, I realized that I can’t fix that - he’s an adult, it’s his choice, he needs to figure this out or not.

Arwenn said:
Children are certainly not stupid, it is amazing what they pick up. I know people that stay together 'for the sake of the kids', ignoring (or being unaware of) the fact that it is an emotionally toxic household that those kids are being raised in.

I am a bit conflicted about this- while being in a toxic relationship is definitely not an environment to raise kids in, neither is a single parent household. While the previous generation (baby boomers and older) might have had unresolved issues, they had clear cut roles (bread winner, home maker etc) & they stuck it out. My generation has high divorce rates- if the sh*t hits the fan, they part ways. That's not ideal either. It would be nice to have a balance of sorting oneself out (as Jordan Peterson says) working things out together in an honest & open way, and sticking it out for the long haul (providing it is not an abusive situation). As for the current generation of millennials, who are increasingly unsure of what gender or species they identify with, I just dunno what to say :huh:

Getting stuck in life can be extremely dark and painful. I know this from experience. But there's an important element in life concerning commitment and responsibility. An interesting dilemma for sure, especially when kids are involved. It's up to whoever (parent) can see the situation clearly enough to face their fear and do what's necessary, I think. As far as kids understanding their parents, I would think they need enough life experience to outgrow naive assumptions about a lot of things first before having a shot at seeing their parents clearly.

Laura said:
Reading this article really made me think: how many of us really are able to put ourselves in the shoes of our parents or grandparents and try to see the world through their eyes? How may of us try to find out who they really are - even if they are doing all they can to conceal that for fear of judgment?
Oh boy! You can say that again. :lol:

It appears Youle's mother was responsible for conceiving and giving birth to Youle, so it was her responsibility to care for him, despite her resenting him and regarding him as a a nuisance, an irritation, an intrusion.

Children are the center of the universe until they grow up and can care for themselves.

Parents do have to sacrifice their happiness if that is what it takes, to raise their children.

People can divorce, quit their jobs, move somewhere else, but it is their responsibility to take care of their children.

Back
Top Bottom