Becoming a good 'obyvatel' as a foundation for the work?

mrelectric91

Padawan Learner
Hi,

As a 23 year old male growing up in a western country, I have grown up with a lot of fantasy, imagination, idealization of what it means to be a well functioning human being and a man without quotation marks. One of the most striking concepts in my readings related to the work is the concept of an obyvatel. From my understanding this is a person who fulfils all their immediate responsibilities in life and doesn't according to their imagination of themselves. I consider imagination to be one of my main weaknesses, maybe even my chief feature so I am looking for some further understanding here on the forum as to the relationship between the work and being a responsible individual who functions well in society.

Do I have to focus on growing up and being efficient and completely self sufficient before I can make real developments in the work? Does this also mean consciously accepting my STS nature and doing what I need to do to be a man before I devote myself to focusing on STO?

I have a deferred place to study post graduate artificial intelligence starting in September. So I guess that's my immediate big responsibility/next step that I have to prepare for. However you never know what's around the corner, one of the few results I have had is how less tense you are and how more fluid the flow of events seem to be when you don't anticipate as much, just a thought.

Thanks

'Obyvatel' is about practical meaning of the work. Be nice to neighbour and ask (instead of giving negative emotion flow and make a scene) about closing the door to the stairwell, has more in common with the work than herbs, incense, prayers and beautiful words and fantasies.

Staying in the moment is when the magic happens. No anticipation and no worry. Being happy where you are at each moment will lead you to the next moment and to next place you are supposed to be.

You are so young. I am astonished at the number of young people I have met with the level of knowledge, caring and thought there seem to be in the world. That is a complement.

Thanks for this, not quite understand the word "obyvatel", since the translator does not, after reading this thread I have an understanding of its meaning and importance in everything that is done in this forum.

lux said:
'Obyvatel' is about practical meaning of the work. Be nice to neighbour and ask (instead of giving negative emotion flow and make a scene) about closing the door to the stairwell, has more in common with the work than herbs, incense, prayers and beautiful words and fantasies.

This says it all :)

mrelectric91 said:
Do I have to focus on growing up and being efficient and completely self sufficient before I can make real developments in the work? Does this also mean consciously accepting my STS nature and doing what I need to do to be a man before I devote myself to focusing on STO?

I think the two go hand in hand. "The Work" can give you a goal to work towards, and therefore a reason to develop yourself from a boy into a man.

Gurdjieff did say that one must be a conscious egoist before coming an altruist. If I consider myself and others who are particularly sensitive and damaged, and therefore struggle to get on in this world, then this makes sense. We must first work on developing our strength and resilience, through fixing health issues, healing emotionally, learning to focus and achieve basic goals etc. This all develops our capacity to give. But we can give to others at any stage on the path.

Generally it makes sense to first master 3D existence before moving onto esoteric matters such as the fourth way, but a lot of fourth way principles can be applied to improve our 3D existence.

I think part of becoming a good obyvatel is being able to function as efficiently as possible in the outside world among others without being completely reliant on those external factors. One should (ideally) be able to master the basic things in life and maintain : food & water, shelter, sanitation etc. This shouldn't necessarily mean that you have be able to fend for ten other people in your house though, because the time that G lived in was a lot different to ours so this cannot be compared IMO.

mrelectric91 said:
Recognising your own STS nature, identifying the programmes and gaining knowledge of your self, is one of the first steps towards becoming more STO oriented. I think this process does not need to be regimented mrelectric91, for instance... growing up, being efficient and working on becoming self sufficient are intertwined with accepting your STS nature and working towards STO, as Carl pointed out.

Rather than approaching things in such a way as: "First I will do this, then I will be able to do that", it may be more beneficial to work on a variety of different things in a more fluid way. If you have the tools to work on and develop these aspects of your self, there is no reason why you cannot approach these things simultaneously. And even if you don't think you qualify as a "good obyvatel", you can still apply fourth way principles to your life.

mrelectric91 said:
Hi,

As a 23 year old male growing up in a western country, I have grown up with a lot of fantasy, imagination, idealization of what it means to be a well functioning human being and a man without quotation marks.

Myself just hitting 23, and as with yourself i struggled with the whole imagination of what man i would become, or want to be. So i can relate :)
Going through a somewhat 'hippy' stage in my teens made me despise the idea of committing myself to the 'get a job, pay the bills' lifestyle.
But recently i have committed myself to a full time job that pays very well for the energy it consumes, and now have had the opportunity to move into a property with my partner and our close friend will be joining us soon (they are both very much in the 'work').
Although this was rather stressful and i just wanted to run back home to the normal child like life without responsibilities, now that it is for filled i can see a great change coming in regards to personal maturity and growth.

Carl said:
Generally it makes sense to first master 3D existence before moving onto esoteric matters such as the fourth way, but a lot of fourth way principles can be applied to improve our 3D existence.

Very vital point regarding my interpretation of the meaning behind obyital from what G. has said:
http://kesdjan.com/exercises/ec.html

"Obyvatel is a strange word in the Russian language. It is used in the sense of 'inhabitant,' without any particular shade. At the same time it is used to express contempt or derision--'obyvatel'--as though there could be nothing worse. But those who speak in this way do not understand that the obyvatel is the healthy kernel of life. And from the point of view of the possibility of evolution, a good obyvatel has many more chances than a 'lunatic' or a 'tramp.' Afterwards I will perhaps explain what I mean by these two words. In the meantime we will talk about the obyvatel. I do not at all wish to say that all obyvatels are people of the objective way. Nothing of the kind. Among them are thieves, rascals, and fools; but there are others. I merely wish to say that being a good obyvatel by itself does not hinder the 'way.' And finally there are different types of obyvatel. Imagine, for example, the type of obyvatel who lives all his life just as the other people round him, conspicuous in nothing, perhaps a good master, who makes money, and is perhaps even close-fisted. At the same time he dreams all his life of monasteries, for instance, and dreams that some time or other he will leave everything and go into a monastery. And such things happen in the East and in Russia. A man lives and works, then, when his children or his grandchildren are grown up, he gives everything to them and goes into a monastery. This is the obyvatel of which I speak. Perhaps he does not go into a monastery, perhaps he does not need this. His own life as an obyvatel can be his way.

"People who are definitely thinking about ways, particularly people of intellectual ways, very often look down on the obyvatel and in general despise the virtues of the obyvatel. But they only show by this their own personal unsuitability for any way whatever. Because no way can begin from a level lower than the obyvatel. This is very often lost sight of on people who are unable to organize their own personal lives, who are too weak to struggle with and conquer life, dream of the ways, or what they consider are ways, because they think it will be easier for them than life and because this, so to speak, justifies their weakness and inadaptability. A man who can be a good obyvatel is much more helpful from the point of view of the way than a 'tramp' who thinks himself much higher than an obyvatel. I call 'tramps' all the so-called 'intelligentsia'--artists, poets, any kind of 'bohemian' in general, who despises the obyvatel and who at the same time would be unable to exist without him. Ability to orientate oneself in life is a very useful quality from the point of view of the work. A good obyvatel should be able to support at least twenty persons by his own labor. What is a man worth who is unable to do this?"

So with that respect, it seems for a select period of time i have unconsciously been initiated into a somewhat obyvatel role. My funds and work have provided a breeding ground for The Work, for myself and my close friends. Which my childish self would have neglected and despised.
That being said, it really has thrown at me a new view of a Man in the 3D sense(materialistic): Being able to feed, house and cater for yourself and people around you is a great, yet rewarding responsibility. But it is still easy for me to fall into the narcissistic view of it all, which just creates stress and tension, so it is something that needs to be closely fed back to me and watched.

Im glad that you mentioned the obyvatel mrelectric91, as a friend did afew weeks ago and i didnt understand. When you see the importance of it, in line with The Work, it really helps.
Again, to what i quoted from Carl, it is a very nice feeling that my 3D efforts are co-linear with The Fourth Way. And that The Fourth Way can help me with my 3D efforts :).

I wish you well with your future and the changes that are coming. The best advice i could give, being unable to apply them to myself at the time of my change, would be to breathe. When stress builds up, it over arouses us and we cannot apply the correct action that is needed. So remember to keep a check on your stress and how you are dealing with it, or if your actually masking/bottling it up.
There seem to be alot of importance on stress and how we hold it recently, so it is vital to keep it in mind.
All the best :D

mrelectric91 said:
As a 23 year old male growing up in a western country, I have grown up with a lot of fantasy, imagination, idealization of what it means to be a well functioning human being and a man without quotation marks. One of the most striking concepts in my readings related to the work is the concept of an obyvatel. From my understanding this is a person who fulfils all their immediate responsibilities in life and doesn't according to their imagination of themselves.

Hi mrelectric91,

From my understanding, a good obyvatel is someone who has sufficient self-mastery to live a productive life as a well-respected man - maybe someone whom friends and neighbors would describe as nice to deal with, always helpful, conscientious, sincere, upright, diligent... That's something I think that many, many people today cannot say about themselves, and this brings us to the relationship between being a "good obyvatel" and the Work: I understand that Gurdjieff thought that being a good obyvatel is the starting point in the Work, but I think that today's human beings are generally much more programmed and traumatized by today's insane society than those in G's time, and so I tend to think that "becoming a good obyvatel" is already a huge undertaking for most of us, and as such is part of the Work itself. I know that I myself was so screwed up when I found the Work that I had to face huge battles with myself and major barriers just to enter the way that leads to becoming a "good obyvatel"...

mrelectric91 said:
I consider imagination to be one of my main weaknesses, maybe even my chief feature so I am looking for some further understanding here on the forum as to the relationship between the work and being a responsible individual who functions well in society.

I'm not sure what you mean by the bolded part - maybe that you have daydreams about a perfect life, perfect job etc.? That you imagine a "perfect self"? For me, practicing EE helped a lot in controlling these rather useless and draining thoughts - one strategy that works for me is imagining a huge Stop-Sign popping up in my head whenever I catch myself engaging in useless thought-loops, while simultanously feeling my body (I practice this during EE sessions). Then I try to concentrate on the immediate task at hand - what can I do now that is useful?

One final thought: I think the concept of the "good obyvatel" can be quite useful in the Work, since it makes it more tangible, less esoteric. For example, cleaning the house and having an orderly environment is something I had problems with in the past. It now became an exercise in doing what "it" doesn't like for me to maintain order around me. Or I force myself to be friendly, attentive and a good listener when I deal with people, no matter what my mood is, how I feel and what thoughts are on my mind. Or just doing what is expected of me in a job/study situation. These are all things one can do regardless of one's situation in life, I think. Fwiw.

I have an opinion that becoming a "good obyvatel" means a skill to cope with your life using the universal principles described by C's, described by G and M and so on. In terms of the Work obyvatel has a comprehension about things that he is doing. And if he don't know "how-it-works" he is trying to learn it, compare and make a conclusion regarding subject. Moreover, simultaneously he try hard to discover any lies either it within or without him. Hypocrisy? Wishful thinking? White Knight Syndrome? It's about constant self-observation. As you know even if you had coped your programmes early it will be appearing again and again. Regarding self-sufficient...I'm not so sure that it's neccessary. What about Network? Sharing? Learning and so on. Yeah, I think that self-sufficient is good skill in order not to be influenced by "left opinions" and manipualtions. So, eventually, obyvatel is a human who has find himself and acting on his own. Directed by I, not by many little "i's".

lux said:

Very succinct, I guess this is an extension of external considering.

Thanks

Carl said:
mrelectric91 said:

I think the two go hand in hand. "The Work" can give you a goal to work towards, and therefore a reason to develop yourself from a boy into a man.

Gurdjieff did say that one must be a conscious egoist before coming an altruist. If I consider myself and others who are particularly sensitive and damaged, and therefore struggle to get on in this world, then this makes sense. We must first work on developing our strength and resilience, through fixing health issues, healing emotionally, learning to focus and achieve basic goals etc. This all develops our capacity to give. But we can give to others at any stage on the path.

I don't know if it was Gurdjieff intention but it does seem certain parts of the work are a preparation for an advanced stage of work; balancing the centres, fulfilling responsibilities, practicing external considering. It's like the saying you can't give what you don't have. Gurdjieff also says we should always have an aim to minimize the amount of i's pulling us in various directions.

Huxley said:
mrelectric91 said:
Hi,

As a 23 year old male growing up in a western country, I have grown up with a lot of fantasy, imagination, idealization of what it means to be a well functioning human being and a man without quotation marks.

Myself just hitting 23, and as with yourself i struggled with the whole imagination of what man i would become, or want to be. So i can relate :)
Going through a somewhat 'hippy' stage in my teens made me despise the idea of committing myself to the 'get a job, pay the bills' lifestyle.
But recently i have committed myself to a full time job that pays very well for the energy it consumes, and now have had the opportunity to move into a property with my partner and our close friend will be joining us soon (they are both very much in the 'work').
Although this was rather stressful and i just wanted to run back home to the normal child like life without responsibilities, now that it is for filled i can see a great change coming in regards to personal maturity and growth.

Carl said:

Very vital point regarding my interpretation of the meaning behind obyital from what G. has said:
http://kesdjan.com/exercises/ec.html

"Obyvatel is a strange word in the Russian language. It is used in the sense of 'inhabitant,' without any particular shade. At the same time it is used to express contempt or derision--'obyvatel'--as though there could be nothing worse. But those who speak in this way do not understand that the obyvatel is the healthy kernel of life. And from the point of view of the possibility of evolution, a good obyvatel has many more chances than a 'lunatic' or a 'tramp.' Afterwards I will perhaps explain what I mean by these two words. In the meantime we will talk about the obyvatel. I do not at all wish to say that all obyvatels are people of the objective way. Nothing of the kind. Among them are thieves, rascals, and fools; but there are others. I merely wish to say that being a good obyvatel by itself does not hinder the 'way.' And finally there are different types of obyvatel. Imagine, for example, the type of obyvatel who lives all his life just as the other people round him, conspicuous in nothing, perhaps a good master, who makes money, and is perhaps even close-fisted. At the same time he dreams all his life of monasteries, for instance, and dreams that some time or other he will leave everything and go into a monastery. And such things happen in the East and in Russia. A man lives and works, then, when his children or his grandchildren are grown up, he gives everything to them and goes into a monastery. This is the obyvatel of which I speak. Perhaps he does not go into a monastery, perhaps he does not need this. His own life as an obyvatel can be his way.

"People who are definitely thinking about ways, particularly people of intellectual ways, very often look down on the obyvatel and in general despise the virtues of the obyvatel. But they only show by this their own personal unsuitability for any way whatever. Because no way can begin from a level lower than the obyvatel. This is very often lost sight of on people who are unable to organize their own personal lives, who are too weak to struggle with and conquer life, dream of the ways, or what they consider are ways, because they think it will be easier for them than life and because this, so to speak, justifies their weakness and inadaptability. A man who can be a good obyvatel is much more helpful from the point of view of the way than a 'tramp' who thinks himself much higher than an obyvatel. I call 'tramps' all the so-called 'intelligentsia'--artists, poets, any kind of 'bohemian' in general, who despises the obyvatel and who at the same time would be unable to exist without him. Ability to orientate oneself in life is a very useful quality from the point of view of the work. A good obyvatel should be able to support at least twenty persons by his own labor. What is a man worth who is unable to do this?"

So with that respect, it seems for a select period of time i have unconsciously been initiated into a somewhat obyvatel role. My funds and work have provided a breeding ground for The Work, for myself and my close friends. Which my childish self would have neglected and despised.
That being said, it really has thrown at me a new view of a Man in the 3D sense(materialistic): Being able to feed, house and cater for yourself and people around you is a great, yet rewarding responsibility. But it is still easy for me to fall into the narcissistic view of it all, which just creates stress and tension, so it is something that needs to be closely fed back to me and watched.

Im glad that you mentioned the obyvatel mrelectric91, as a friend did afew weeks ago and i didnt understand. When you see the importance of it, in line with The Work, it really helps.
Again, to what i quoted from Carl, it is a very nice feeling that my 3D efforts are co-linear with The Fourth Way. And that The Fourth Way can help me with my 3D efforts :).

I wish you well with your future and the changes that are coming. The best advice i could give, being unable to apply them to myself at the time of my change, would be to breathe. When stress builds up, it over arouses us and we cannot apply the correct action that is needed. So remember to keep a check on your stress and how you are dealing with it, or if your actually masking/bottling it up.
There seem to be alot of importance on stress and how we hold it recently, so it is vital to keep it in mind.
All the best :D

Thanks for sharing this. I just turned 23, the advice you give of 'breathing' is exactly what I am doing at the moment. I sense a lot of people our age are feeling rushed and unsure as how to approach things. But there is difference between taking the time to make clear decisions and avoiding responsibility.

luc said:
mrelectric91 said:
As a 23 year old male growing up in a western country, I have grown up with a lot of fantasy, imagination, idealization of what it means to be a well functioning human being and a man without quotation marks. One of the most striking concepts in my readings related to the work is the concept of an obyvatel. From my understanding this is a person who fulfils all their immediate responsibilities in life and doesn't according to their imagination of themselves.

Hi mrelectric91,

From my understanding, a good obyvatel is someone who has sufficient self-mastery to live a productive life as a well-respected man - maybe someone whom friends and neighbors would describe as nice to deal with, always helpful, conscientious, sincere, upright, diligent... That's something I think that many, many people today cannot say about themselves, and this brings us to the relationship between being a "good obyvatel" and the Work: I understand that Gurdjieff thought that being a good obyvatel is the starting point in the Work, but I think that today's human beings are generally much more programmed and traumatized by today's insane society than those in G's time, and so I tend to think that "becoming a good obyvatel" is already a huge undertaking for most of us, and as such is part of the Work itself. I know that I myself was so screwed up when I found the Work that I had to face huge battles with myself and major barriers just to enter the way that leads to becoming a "good obyvatel"...

mrelectric91 said:
I consider imagination to be one of my main weaknesses, maybe even my chief feature so I am looking for some further understanding here on the forum as to the relationship between the work and being a responsible individual who functions well in society.

I'm not sure what you mean by the bolded part - maybe that you have daydreams about a perfect life, perfect job etc.? That you imagine a "perfect self"? For me, practicing EE helped a lot in controlling these rather useless and draining thoughts - one strategy that works for me is imagining a huge Stop-Sign popping up in my head whenever I catch myself engaging in useless thought-loops, while simultanously feeling my body (I practice this during EE sessions). Then I try to concentrate on the immediate task at hand - what can I do now that is useful?

One final thought: I think the concept of the "good obyvatel" can be quite useful in the Work, since it makes it more tangible, less esoteric. For example, cleaning the house and having an orderly environment is something I had problems with in the past. It now became an exercise in doing what "it" doesn't like for me to maintain order around me. Or I force myself to be friendly, attentive and a good listener when I deal with people, no matter what my mood is, how I feel and what thoughts are on my mind. Or just doing what is expected of me in a job/study situation. These are all things one can do regardless of one's situation in life, I think. Fwiw.

Yes the imagination thing is about daydreams useless thought loops envisioning a perfect life, career, partner etc. My approach to stopping this is to simply focus on now and and try to do things with all centres balanced and focused. Yes it's becoming clear to me that one needs to at least aim for immaculate effort in all tasks big or small. I was watching a PBS documentary about Thomas Edison and some other 19th century/early 20th century figures and although they had their flaws, I respected the way men of that time seem to have a great mix of courage and sense of working out of a sense of duty and respect for the human instrument rather than tomorrow's possible rewards, and the indifference to failure seemed very sensible allowing one to remain flexible and open to new things.

Thanks

An obyvatel is really like a good householder -- inside and out. "Simple, honorable." It's the foundation you build everything else upon.

Funny story ... I use to work as an artisan bread baker when I first met the Work ideas, and I worked with a Russian woman. Since all the loaves of bread were hand-formed, we would stand at the bench for hours at a time. One day I asked her about this word and she laughed. She said it was the kind of person who would sell you something at the market, but when you got home the box would instead have bricks, and they'd be long gone.

But G was pretty clear what kind of obyvatel he meant (italics mine):

"Ability to orientate oneself in life is a very useful quality from the point of view of the work. A good obyvatel should be able to support at least twenty persons by his own labor. What is a man worth who is unable to do this?""

Martfotai said:
An obyvatel is really like a good householder -- inside and out. "Simple, honorable." It's the foundation you build everything else upon.

Funny story ... I use to work as an artisan bread baker when I first met the Work ideas, and I worked with a Russian woman. Since all the loaves of bread were hand-formed, we would stand at the bench for hours at a time. One day I asked her about this word and she laughed. She said it was the kind of person who would sell you something at the market, but when you got home the box would instead have bricks, and they'd be long gone.

But G was pretty clear what kind of obyvatel he meant (italics mine):

"Ability to orientate oneself in life is a very useful quality from the point of view of the work. A good obyvatel should be able to support at least twenty persons by his own labor. What is a man worth who is unable to do this?""

Martfotai,

Your story about the Russian woman and her definition of an obyvatel was very interesting. It makes me think of the term "street wise". People who know the score so to speak when it comes to everyday human behavior and sometimes how to take advantage of the knowledge. ;)

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom