Benefits of bicycling

treesparrow

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
An article about the positive effects of bicycling some of which rings true for me. The activity does seem to clear away any mental fog or blues that I may be experiencing prior to jumping onto my bike saddle and setting off. Even cycling in the rain after a while does not feel so bad (provided you're heading home rather than out that is!).
The cycle path to happiness

Scientists are confirming what most cyclists instinctively know – that riding a bike has extraordinary effects on our brain chemistry

You need only look at the physique of Bradley Wiggins to appreciate the potential effects of cycling on the body. But what about the mind? For as long as man has pushed a pedal, it's a question that has challenged psychologists, neurologists and anyone who has wondered how, sometimes, riding a bike can induce what feels close to a state of meditation.

I'm incapable of emptying my mind but there have been occasions on my bike when I realise I have no recollection of the preceding miles. Whether during solo pursuits along country lanes in spring, or noisy, dirty commutes, time can pass unnoticed in a blissful blur of rhythm and rolling.

It's not a new sensation. In 1896 at the height of the first cycling boom, a feature in the The New York Times said this about the activity: "It has the unique virtue of yielding a rate of speed as great as that of the horse, nearly as great as that attained by steam power, and yet it imposes upon the consciousness the fact that it is entirely self-propulsion."

The writer, credited only as "ANJ", continues: "In the nature of the motion is another unique combination. With the great speed there are the subtle glide and sway of skating, something of the yacht's rocking, a touch of the equestrian bounce, and a suggestion of flying. The effect of all this upon the mind is as wholesomely stimulating as is the exercise to the body."

Almost 120 years after these observations, and in the middle of a new cycling boom, what have we learnt about the nature and effects of this stimulation? Cycling can of course be miserable, but beyond its ability to more often make me feel emotionally as well as physically enriched, what could be happening inside my head?

Several studies have shown that exercises including cycling make us smarter. Danish scientists who set out to measure the benefits of breakfast and lunch among children found diet helped but that the way pupils travelled to school was far more significant. Those who cycled or walked performed better in tests than those who had travelled by car or public transport, the scientists reported last month. Another study by the University of California in Los Angeles showed that old people who were most active had 5 per cent more grey matter than those who were least active, reducing their risk of developing Alzheimer's.

But what is about cycling that leads me to believe it has a peculiar effect? John Ratey is a Professor of Psychiatry at Harvard Medical School and the author of Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain. He can't point to a specific reason but says he has seen patients whose severe depression has all but disappeared after they started to cycle.

Rhythm may explain some of the effects. "Think about it evolutionarily for a minute," he says. "When we had to perform physically, those who could find an altered state and not experience the pain or a drag on endurance would have been at an advantage. Cycling is also increasing a lot of the chemistry in your brain that make you feel peaceful and calm."

At the same time, the focus required to operate a bicycle, and for example, to negotiate a junction or jostle for space in a race, can be a powerful medicine. Dr Ratey cites a study his department is currently conducting. More than 20 pupils with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) are expected to show improved symptoms after a course of cycling.

The link between cycling and ADHD is well established. It's "like taking a little bit of Prozac and a little bit of Ritalin," Dr Ratey says. Ritalin is a stimulant commonly used to treat ADHD in children by boosting levels of neural transmitters. Exercise can achieve the same effect, but not all exercise is equal.

In a German study involving 115 students at a sports academy, half the group did activities such as cycling that involved complex co-ordinated movements. The rest performed simpler exercises with the same aerobic demands. Both groups did better than they had in concentration tests, but the "complex" group did a lot better.

Cycling has even been shown to change the structure of the brain. In 2003, Dr Jay Alberts, a neuroscientist at the Cleveland Clinic Lerner Research Institute in Ohio, rode a tandem bicycle across the state with a friend who has Parkinson's to raise awareness of the disease. To the surprise of both riders, the patient showed significant improvements.

Dr Alberts conducted an experiment, the results of which were reported last month. He scanned the brains of 26 Parkinson's patients during and a month after an eight-week exercise programme using stationary bikes.

Half the patients were allowed to ride at their own pace, while the others were pushed incrementally harder, just as the scientist's tandem companion had been. All patients improved and the "tandem" group showed significant increases in connectivity between areas of grey matter responsible for motor ability. Cycling, and cycling harder, was helping to heal their brains.

We don't know how, exactly, this happens, but there is more startling evidence of the link between Parkinson's and cycling. A clip posted on YouTube by the New England Journal of Medicine features a 58-year-old Dutchman with severe Parkinson's. In the first half of the video, we watch the unnamed patient trying to walk along a hospital ward. He can barely stand. Helped by a physiotherapist, he manages a slow shuffle, before almost falling. His hands shake uncontrollably.

Cut to the car park, where we find the man on a bicycle being supported by staff. With a push, he's off, cycling past cars with perfect balance and co-ordination. After a loop, he comes to a stop and hops to the ground, where he is immediately immobile again. Doctors don't fully understand this discrepancy, or kinesia paradoxica, either, but said the bicycles rotating pedals may act as some sort of visual cue that aided the patient's brain.

The science of cycling is evidently incomplete, but perhaps the most remarkable thing about it for the everyday rider, its effects on hyperactive children notwithstanding, is that it can require no conscious focus at all.

The apparent mindlessness of pedalling can not only make us happier ("Melancholy," the writer James E Starrs has said, "is incompatible with bicycling") but also leave room for other thoughts, from the banal to the profound.

On the seat of my bike, I've made life decisions, "written" passages of articles, and reflected usefully on emotional troubles. Of his theory of relativity, meanwhile, Albert Einstein is supposed to have said: "I thought of it while riding my bicycle."
_http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/features/the-cycle-path-to-happiness-8422706.html

Reactions: Ca.
Thanks for this article, I will have to get my bicycle out again soon.

It's a shame living in the city, cycling can be an absolute nightmare with the bumpy, pothole filled roads full of horrible vehicles, and feels like a total chore. On the rare occasions when I can leave this place, I find cycling to be very fulfilling though.

Carlise said:

It's a shame living in the city, cycling can be an absolute nightmare with the bumpy, pothole filled roads full of horrible vehicles, and feels like a total chore. On the rare occasions when I can leave this place, I find cycling to be very fulfilling though.

Yes, I find that too. I find that it is also very good for maintaining attention - divided attention - and self-observation training. :)

Carlise said:

Cycling in the city does provide an opportunity to see things from a different perspective. But a helmet and caution are indispensable.

With the KD, I've noticed significant performance gains while cycling. Notably, it seems that my body uses oxygen better and I breathe less erratically and less deeply. The first few kilometers I would sense soreness in the muscles, but as soon as the 'machine' warmed up, I could go for hours without fatigue. And no soreness on the day after a ride.

Hooray for bicycles!

Thanks for the article. If i may, i recommend clip-in pedals - they make more of a "resistance exercise" or sprint ride possible (and more fun!).

Carlise said:

You're lucky you have one. I need to get a new one and I also live in the city, don't forget the sinkholes! :P

I remember when I used to cycle, this article seems to make a lot of sense to me.

Will definitely put a bike on my to-buy list!

At the same time, the focus required to operate a bicycle, and for example, to negotiate a junction or jostle for space in a race, can be a powerful medicine. Dr Ratey cites a study his department is currently conducting. More than 20 pupils with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) are expected to show improved symptoms after a course of cycling.

The fact that it helps ADHD seems to be directly connected with this passage, osit. People who can't focus are forced to focus because their lives might depend on whether they pay attention or not.

Nuke said:
Carlise said:

You're lucky you have one. I need to get a new one and I also live in the city, don't forget the sinkholes! :P

I remember when I used to cycle, this article seems to make a lot of sense to me.

Will definitely put a bike on my to-buy list!

I am, now that you mention it.

I went for a really cheap "mountain bike", reduced to half price from it's original cheap price. Not as fast or high quality as a proper road bike but its very lightweight, I can go on and off the pavement, over rough ground and through tight spaces. Combined with waterproof clothing, it gets you anywhere in any weather for free, combined with the above mentioned benefits! I'd certainly recommend it :).

Also related I guess: Yesterday riding on my way to work I crashed straight into a young couple crossing the road. We were all alright thankfully. They walked out from where I couldn't see when my lights were on green, but still I could have avoided it by paying more attention. Major wakeup call from the universe there, I tend to get too overconfident on that thing.

I also find riding a bike can be one of the easiest ways to observation train. To notice how emotions flare and motor center adjusts with traffic and co-bikers while the main thrust of the motor center is engaged in threadmilling. Noticing thoughts fly while focusing on a particular line of thought. Usually I do feel energized in mind and body after a bike ride.

My current routine route is perfect, a short uphill ride and then 10 minutes downhill almost all the way to school, and of course the reverse on the way home. But having that long uphill ride is nice for physically processing the days emotional indents with a short fly downhill before hitting the comfy chair. For many years I rode a mountain bike which 'inspired' to make shortcuts and generally hazardous but fun city driving. This year I got a kind of mature ordinary bike which doesn't do too well with jumping from curbs, so my driving style and observations has changed towards noticing how to ride with patience, ease and external consideration.

Favourite Bike odes:

Queen - Bicycle Race
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWJ8_B9BVxo

Boards of Canada - Happy Cycling
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0gS30CSyQ8

For sure, cycling can be good for the mind, it can indeed be meditation-like, and it's useful for many things : moving yourself or stuff, or even washing your clothes !
_http://www.bikehacks.com/bikehacks/2012/01/green-power-bike-washing-machines.html

But if you use them often, the usual (upright) bikes are harmful for your body, particularly your back, neck, and the saddle can cause sterility for men. So if you can afford it, prefer "recumbent" bikes (or trikes) : they are a lot more comfortable and often more efficient (but not for riding uphill).
_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recumbent_bicycle

(In fact, upright bikes should have already disappeared, but the - psychopathic ? - elite of the professional cycling competitions world prohibited recumbent bikes during the 1930s !
Wikipedia EN said:
When the Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) met in February, 1934, manufacturers of 'upright' bicycles lobbied to have Faure's one-hour record declared invalid. On 1 April 1934, the UCI published a new definition of a racing bicycle that specified how high the bottom bracket could be above the ground, how far it could be in front of the seat and how close it could be to the front wheel. The new definition effectively banned recumbents from UCI events for a combination of tradition, safety, and economic reasons.
(...)
The UCI ban on recumbent bicycles and other aerodynamic improvements virtually stopped development of recumbents for four decades and remains in force. Although recumbent designs continued to crop up over the years they were mainly the work of lone enthusiasts and numbers remained insignificant until the 1970s.

For sure,

I love riding my bike. Especially home from work. By the time I get home (about a 30 min ride) I have processed everything from the studio and I can be present and in the moment with my family. When I drive I find myself coming home and continuing to work as if I'm still there.

Riding in the rain is better still. Its both refreshing and fun, like being a kid all over again.

In fact I'm gonna ride my bike to Christmas lunch with the fam... its going to be a trap of sugar and carbs today. Merry Christmas anyway :halo:

Love cycling and privileged to live near lakeside paths. I would love a recumbent trike some day as they certainly look great for body health and comfort. I bought a Schwin trike thinking it would be more stable for training the dog to run along side but in the end it wasn't very stable at all so we'll add this springer to it in the spring and try again (once the ribs have healed from our last attempt, lol)
http://www.springeramerica.com/

parallel said:
Favourite Bike odes:

Queen - Bicycle Race
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWJ8_B9BVxo

Boards of Canada - Happy Cycling
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0gS30CSyQ8

Mine is :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZk13QvDFQo

Bastian said:
But if you use them often, the usual (upright) bikes are harmful for your body, particularly your back, neck, and the saddle can cause sterility for men. So if you can afford it, prefer "recumbent" bikes (or trikes) : they are a lot more comfortable and often more efficient (but not for riding uphill).

Well, I don't agree with that. If your bike is well adjusted, you should not have any problem. In fact, when my back is hurting, I go for a ride and everything is fine after that. And the problem with the neck is just the fact that your mussels are not used to that.

And for the sterility, so far it might just be a urban legend.

Great cycling nations like the Chinese or the Dutch never showed any signs of not being able to procreate as far as I know.

Gandalf said:
Bastian said:

Well, I don't agree with that. If your bike is well adjusted, you should not have any problem. In fact, when my back is hurting, I go for a ride and everything is fine after that. And the problem with the neck is just the fact that your mussels are not used to that.

In india , we used upright bicycles ( only upright available ) and most of the people used them for their entire life with out any back or neck issues, often with 3 people on the same bicycle ( one on the front horizontal rod and one on the back.

Back
Top Bottom