Video Games

highmystica

Jedi Master
Alright, so this isn't what you think. There is a board game I fell in love with during the 80's ... a friend of mine had Talisman 2.0 and well, we played it religiously. When I ran off to college I got Talisman 3.0. I found Talisman 4.0 in the google play store.

Anyway, at this time of year board games get played. I absolutely love this on my tablet. Best part I can play with friends where ever they are or just sit around the same tablet, there is no clean up involved ... 3.0 is massive. Not to mention it is a lot cheaper than physical. Clean up of 2.0 and 3.0 was painful enough. I would cry if I had to clean up 4.0. God god!

Anyway, it is a great game in any format. They have done a great job with the AI, so even solo games vs 5 bots is satisfying.

But yeah, late fall and winter beg for board games in the northern hemisphere. Just figured I'd share what is my favorite board game of all time. All the expansions are out in digital except cataclysm, that is in beta (I had access to the beta version of it for about a week - I'm in their beta program). I'm a nerd.

Talisman (board game) - Wikipedia
Talisman

Last edited by a moderator:
But yeah, late fall and winter beg for board games in the northern hemisphere.

Why not e-x-p-a-n-d your horizons and pick out an interesting book or novel that increases your k-n-o-w-l-e-d-g-e of the World? :-)

Could be part of a great conversation, with friends around a Fall Harvest campfire or an indoor get together, when the snowflakes start to accumulate?

Do you have any clue how much I read? Any clue? Careful with YOUR projections. Board games are a very good social activity. And Talisman IS a good imdoor get together combined with a prime dinner party. That me and my friends still play this game in our 40's says a lot. Yes, my friends read too.

Your knee jerk reaction is really rather sad.

Do you have any clue how much I read? Any clue? Careful with YOUR projections.
Board games are a very good social activity. And Talisman IS a good imdoor get together combined with a prime dinner party. That me and my friends still play this game in our 40's says a lot. Yes, my friends read too.

Touche' highmystica ... but my reply was neither a projection, nor meant as "a knee jerk". Far from it.

I'm not knocking Board Games, in general, as "an occasional" social activity but the impression I get from your Post, is one of progressive pre-occupation and border-line-obsession, that goes beyond "late fall and winter"? Correct me - if I have "no clue"?

I'm merely suggesting that there are other options in expanding your mental capabilities in a broader sense, then confining oneself to the limiting perimeters of a board game. Even with it's "digital expansions and beta programs" you're still working off a pre-set program by the manufacturer/developer.

Considering what this Forum represents and the type of work we are engaged in, on different levels of expression, it might be beneficial to contemplate these words:

"Finding your mind is only half as fun as finding out why you lost it in the first place!"

Do you have any clue how much I read? Any clue?

Obviously, the answer will be "no". But that is a deflection. You just asked that question, without expanding or explaining anything. If you read a LOT of comic books, say, the response you got would still be a valid suggestion.

Careful with YOUR projections.

Careful with deflection.

Board games are a very good social activity. And Talisman IS a good imdoor get together combined with a prime dinner party. That me and my friends still play this game in our 40's says a lot. Yes, my friends read too.

Fine, if that's what suits you, and nobody attacked you for that.

It didn't seem like a knee-jerk reaction to me, and more like a valid suggestion given the nature of this forum. But it is interesting that you saw it as such. If you are aware of the topics discussed here, the "horror of the situation" as seen by us, and the massive amounts of reading we try to do in order to get a bit of a clue, you can hardly fault someone for making the suggestion angerburst made. This is not a videogame forum, and in general, people here don't think they are a useful occupation, to say the least. It may be fabulous to you, but you came across as wanting to convince others of that, which isn't going to fly around here, I'm afraid.

You may want to do a search for "video games" in the forum, if you are interested.

I would say that board games (in the sense of them being played in the old way with others on a table together) can at times (depending on the content/goal of the game) be a social activity that can be played now and then together. If it however becomes more like an addiction that one is attached to, primarily because one is searching for another dopamine hit, rather than the goal being spending quality time together with friends, this can become a serious problem, especially if it has moved on to being played on technical gadgets like cellphones.

I'm in agreement with what Chu said. angelburst29 simply gave you a useful and sensible suggestion, toward which you reacted rather rude. The board game itself and what angelburst said is not the issue, but your reaction to a simple and good suggestion.

Highmystica, a general scan of your first Post ... comes off ... like something I would expect to see in the Classified Ads - in the Wanted section of a local newspaper?

That me and my friends still play this game in our 40's says a lot.

Maybe, the 40-something gang went onto other important things in life ... and left you "in the dust" sort to speak and you came on this Forum with the specific intention "of attracting new players"?

When you failed to get the response - you intended - you're the one that came off with the knee jerk reaction (?)

The irony of the situation is ... many here on this Forum have discovered ... much to the "horror of the situation" like Chu said - that we, ourselves are being played on a larger "Chess Board" through generational programs on a social scale and "programs" within our selves. Once you grasp some of the magnitude of the pre-selected programming and the direction it's trying to steer us in, collectively and individually, you slowly begin to explore the World around you in a larger context. In this regard, it reflects my opening statement to you, which began with "Why not e-x-p-a-n-d your horizons ...?" With a little more study and contemplation, you may be able to detect a "program" within yourself, that primarily focuses on the various levels of the Talisman Board game and your excessive need for it?

I would also like to express, the replies here - are in no way - a "put-down" but are meant for further reflection and are an open invitation for sincere dialog and discussion. Are you "GAME"? Want to learn ... more?

I just posted this because it is a fun game, something I figured maybe you could enjoy with your friends and their families. Leave it at that. Simple. I posted it under the thread what's on your mind after all.

The rest of this goes under "the work if you will"

As far as reading goes I have read most of the stuff suggested regarding the work. No I have not all the wave series, an I have not read the stuff by that one guy that's in french. Have read the secret history. Indeed I am one of the reasons the Tucson public library ordered political ponerology in the first place (I wasn't the only one that asked for them to get it and sadly according to an ex though it is no longer there). Actually I have had two other copies of that book that after rereading them I passed them on to friends who in turn passed them on to others. Books like that need to travel anyway. Indeed it is one of my favorite all time reads.

I would not consider my "need" for Talisman excessive. Well, during winter months perhaps. Also, it is better than a lot of things my friends kids play on their tablets. Yes, me and my friends play it with their kids (I am a non-breeder). What other board game do I play from my youth or at all? Scrabble ... can't really get my friends kids in on that. Even my friends that REALLY interact with their kids still seem to have kids that suffer from the society wide ADHD that is all too common.

Regarding my programs. I am well enough aware of them - yes they crop up and slip by - I do live on this planet just like you. A great deal of stuff presented here isn't exactly new. I read Ouspensky before finding Laura's work. Nevermind, the tons of Buddhist and Taoist literature that reminds me to do the same.

I agree with the fact that video games are very dangerous. I went through my own gaming phase. I only really have one video game I do in fact really play. Shadow Era - it's a card game. I don't have a TV, so obviously no console games. I don't really game on my computer except for Shadow Era. I have a lot of books on my tablet though.

Books in and of themselves can be dangerous as well. I was a nerd from kindergarten through high school so I had very few friends ... books were my friends. So in a very real way they became a form of escapism. I read at college level by fourth grade. Also the part of town I lived in until fourth grade was devoid of kids in my age group. I read a lot of my mom's books and she was into philosophy, comparative religion as well as random horror and mystery books.

How did it make you feel over analyzing what I posted in the first place? Did you notice your own programs as you felt satisfaction or empowered in correcting my stance? Hmm. This thread was not meant to be about the work. What do you guys do with your friends and family? See I can project too. Is it helpful? No, simply put it is not. Stalk yourselves and I will stalk myself ... though using that word in a forum online is just silly. Self observation is better online in my opinion ... that's just me though.

My quote in my sig is specifically about self observation ... if anyone should get that I figure it would be the people here. We are all mental wrecks on planet earth. I own my mental short comings. And if you don't figure out the why of it you will fall into the same trap again. And the C's do say learning is fun!

highmystica, it seems to me that the following still applies after reading your post above:

angelburst29 simply gave you a useful and sensible suggestion, toward which you reacted rather rude. The board game itself and what angelburst said is not the issue, but your reaction to a simple and good suggestion.

Let's say somebody comes into a house in which certain rules of communication, values and goals are established. Then lets say that person brings up something he likes to do privately in that said house, then, somebody else comes along and gives that person a simple suggestion what else he could ALSO do, which could make his life and those of his loved ones better. Then suppose that first person reacts to this simple and nice suggestion from that second person, by a pretty rude response to that person, that sounds like he was just attacked by a knife (i.e. totally out of proportion), instead of thanking that person for the suggestion. How does that look like?

I discovered that some role playing games have extend the traditional characters from humans, elfes, gnomes to... reptilians. Example:

Here, this is a "Dragon" but I don't really see the difference with reptilians:

The Elder Scrolls:

Final Fantasy:

Risen:

And most globally, it seems that there's a whole subculture of drawing those reptilian characters on the net. I wonder from where this influence come from. 🤔

reptilian_draw.jpg

I discovered that some role playing games have extend the traditional characters from humans, elfes, gnomes to... reptilians. Example:

Here, this is a "Dragon" but I don't really see the difference with reptilians:

The Elder Scrolls:

Final Fantasy:

Risen:

And most globally, it seems that there's a whole subculture of drawing those reptilian characters on the net. I wonder from where this influence come from. 🤔

View attachment 81574
My post have been moved from the Propaganda section to this thread. It's not the message I wanted to convey. I don't bother video games. It's very frustrating. ☹️

World of Warcraft also released a humanoid ‘dragon’ character recently, although this one has wings on its back.
Clearly, they've been prepping the general population for an eventual encounter with 'monsters.' In high school, during 'science' class, I had to draw a hybrid using three different animal parts. I drew a bird with slightly augmented wings and failed the assignment (not on purpose of course, but I sure wasn't going to deform a majestic giraffe!).

Reptiles have bewbs?? I guess they forgot what they learned in their biology classes at school. Wait, never mind, they're taught that male and female is biologically a social construct.

Back
Top Bottom