Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden

suelarue

Jedi Master
I was just reading The Wave series on Cassipaea.org (Chapter XXXIII Torah, Kaballah and When I Dream...) and came upon the section talking about the black sun.

Q: (L) Among the things that were discussed among the Germans in the Thule Society and the Vril Society, was the "Black Sun That Illuminates the Interior." Can you tell us what this "Black Sun" is?
A: Ultimate destiny of STS orientation.
Q: (L) Is this Black Sun an actual astronomical phenomenon?
A: In essence.
Q: (L) What would we know this Black Sun as? A black hole?
A: Good possibility.

I couldn't help but think of the song titled "Black Hole Sun" by Soundgarden which came out in 1994. Take a look at the lyrics:

In my eyes,
Indisposed,
In disguise
As no one knows.
Hides the face,
Lies the snake,
And the sun
In my disgrace.
Boiling heat,
Summer stench.
'Neath the black
The sky looks dead.
Call my name
Through the cream,
And I'll hear you
Scream again.

Black hole sun,
Won't you come
And wash away the rain?
Black hole sun,
Won't you come?
Won't you come?
Won't you come?

Stuttering,
Cold and damp,
Steal the warm wind
Tired friend.
Times are gone
For honest men
And sometimes,
Far too long
For snakes.

In my shoes,
A walking sleep,
And my youth
I pray to keep.
Heaven send Hell away,
No one
Sings like you anymore.

Black hole sun,
Won't you come
And wash away the rain?
Black hole sun,
Won't you come?
Won't you come?
(Repeat)

Black hole sun
Black hole sun
Won't you come?
(Repeat x3)

Black hole sun
Black hole sun

Hang my head,
Drown my fear,
Till you all just
Disappear...

Black hole sun,
Won't you come
And wash away the rain?
Black hole sun,
Won't you come?
Won't you come?
(Repeat x2)

Black hole sun,
Black hole sun,
Won't you come?
(Repeat x6)

Won't you come?

What I find even more interesting is the description Chris Cornell (lead singer and writer of Soundgarden) gave about writing the song which can be found on Wikipedia at the following link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Hole_Sun

Origin and recording:

"Black Hole Sun" was written by frontman Chris Cornell. Cornell said that he wrote the song in about 15 minutes.[1] He used a Gretsch guitar to write the song, and commented, "I wrote the song thinking the band wouldn't like it—then it became the biggest hit of the summer."[2] Cornell came up with the song while using a Leslie speaker. Guitarist Kim Thayil said that the Leslie speaker was perfect for the song as "it's very Beatlesque and has a distinctive sound. It ended up changing the song completely."[3] The song was performed in drop D tuning. Drummer Matt Cameron called the song "a huge departure."[4]
[edit]Lyrics

Regarding "Black Hole Sun", Cornell stated, "It's just sort of a surreal dreamscape, a weird, play-with-the-title kind of song."[5] He also said that "lyrically it's probably the closest to me just playing with words for words' sake, of anything I've written. I guess it worked for a lot of people who heard it, but I have no idea how you'd begin to take that one literally."[6] In another interview he elaborated further, stating, "It's funny because hits are usually sort of congruent, sort of an identifiable lyric idea, and that song pretty much had none. The chorus lyric is kind of beautiful and easy to remember. Other than that, I sure didn't have an understanding of it after I wrote it. I was just sucked in by the music and I was painting a picture with the lyrics. There was no real idea to get across."[4] Commenting upon how the song was misinterpreted as being positive, Cornell said, "No one seems to get this, but "Black Hole Sun" is sad. But because the melody is really pretty, everyone thinks it's almost chipper, which is ridiculous."[7] When asked about the line, "Times are gone for honest men," Cornell said:
It's really difficult for a person to create their own life and their own freedom. It's going to become more and more difficult, and it's going to create more and more disillusioned people who become dishonest and angry and are willing to -flick- the next guy to get what they want. There's so much stepping on the backs of other people in our profession. We've been so lucky that we've never had to do that. Part of it was because of our own tenacity, and part of it was because we were lucky.[8]

I find it so interesting that the song came to him so quickly and also the references to snakes, that times are gone for honest men and the asking of heaven to wash away hell.

And how crazy (or twisted) is it that this song was covered by Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gormé who did a JAZZ version of this song on the 1997 compilation album, Lounge-A-Palooza and Paul Anka gave "Black Hole Sun" a SWING treatment on his 2005 album, Rock Swings??!!

Anyway, back to "hitting the books"! I'd be interested to know what you guys think.

Suzanne

I remember first hearing the song back when I was 14. I thought it was pretty cool at the time. I didn't think much of the lyrics back then other than the fact that they were "weird" and sounded fresh.

Looking at it now it does seem like Chris Cornel was picking up something from the "superspectrum" as John Keel would put it. It seems like a lot of songwriters and other artists aren't really conscious of what they write - they just seem to pick up whatever is floating around out there.

Of course, I have to wonder what millions of people mindlessly chanting "black hole sun, won't you come..." does from the 4D perspective? Maybe nothing, but it gives me the impression of some sort of incantation or invocation, FWIW.

Yeah, I remember having this song come into my head when reading that section of the wave.

Had not seen the video before, thx Suelarue. Notice the final shot panning towards the moon? Made me think of food for the moon.

Soundgarden have been one of my favourite bands since I was also around 13 or 14. I've thought about their lyrics in an esoteric sorta context a lot. To me, Black Hole Sun seems like it's someone who might have seen some truth and just wants to go back to sleep.

Hang my head,
Drown my fear,
Till you all just
Disappear...

A lot of their lyrics come across like that to me, but some of them are a bit less "shutting out the world"ish.

An Unkind:

We see the vipers of distance
Crawl into our lives everyday
Breeding our Eden's of hatred
Pathetically stupid and unkind
We couldn't look a saint in the eye

On the storm
It's time to go
On the storm
It's time to go

Marching in lines of contradiction
Forgetting the history we make
Loving our hangmen as the penultimate joke
We lack the Moses... to look
A saint in the eye

On the storm
It's time to go
On the storm
It's time to go

brandon said:
Soundgarden have been one of my favourite bands since I was also around 13 or 14. I've thought about their lyrics in an esoteric sorta context a lot. To me, Black Hole Sun seems like it's someone who might have seen some truth and just wants to go back to sleep.

Hang my head,
Drown my fear,
Till you all just
Disappear...

A lot of their lyrics come across like that to me, but some of them are a bit less "shutting out the world"ish.

I always kind of thought it was about feeling like giving in to the 'predator' and inviting destruction.

Thanks Suzanne.
I've listened quite a lot to Soundgarden in the past and always liked their lyrics. This is some new insight into a great song of theirs!
Sounds like Chris was in the limbo of waking and sleeping when he wrote many of his songs.
Will definitely be hearing this song differently from now on.
:D

RyanX said:
Of course, I have to wonder what millions of people mindlessly chanting "black hole sun, won't you come..." does from the 4D perspective? Maybe nothing, but it gives me the impression of some sort of incantation or invocation, FWIW.

Indeed and...

Andromeda said:
I always kind of thought it was about feeling like giving in to the 'predator' and inviting destruction.

The more I listen to it I find the text increasingly insidious while the melody "wants" you to sing along(imo).

thanx for posting those lyrics, suelarue. I really like this song, very evocative... as alice said, "It puts ideas in my head, only I'm not quite sure what they are!"

Not a huge fan of Soundgarden, most of what I've heard doesn't seem to do much for me. Same goes for Chris Cornell as a solo artist... But when he took Zack De La Rocha's place as the singer for Rage Against The Machine, creating Audioslave... well, the whole is more than the sum of it's parts. At least for the first album. It's odd- I love every song on the first, can't remember hearing anything on the second that had any real impact on me.

It seems to me as if Chris Cornell has a great gift that can only be expressed with certain people, maybe? Certain conditions? Dunno. But 'Black Hole Sun' feels very similar to Audioslave's first album.

Just cos I wanna :P I'm going to put my favourite Audioslave song lyrics

I Am The Highway

Pearls and swine
bereft of me
long and weary
my road has been
I was lost in the cities
alone in the hills
no sorrow or pity
for leaving I feel

I am not your rolling wheels
I am the Highway
I am not your carpet ride
I am the sky

Friends and liars
don't wait for me
'cos I'll get on
all by myself
I put millions of miles
under my heels
and still too close
to you I feel

I am not your rolling wheels
I am the highway
I am not your carpet ride
I am the sky
I am not your blowing wind
I am the lightning
I am not your autumn moon
I am the night

Sorry if I've gone off topic

GAIA said:
Thanks Suzanne.
I've listened quite a lot to Soundgarden in the past and always liked their lyrics. This is some new insight into a great song of theirs!
Sounds like Chris was in the limbo of waking and sleeping when he wrote many of his songs.
Will definitely be hearing this song differently from now on.
:D

Ditto here! Its a fresher revelation that the music, rhythm and lyrics are hypnotic, knowing what I know now...Oy! I used to listen to this song and others by Soundgarden quite a bit in the 90's! That whole 'grunge' scene was really hypnotic, and similar to the 60's in energy, fwiw.

I've always liked this song. I covered it in a band I was in years ago...we used it as our "slow" song (every band back then had to have one so couples could slow dance.) and it was fun to play. Never thought about the lyrics much, so thanks for posting this, suelarue.

strange times..

Black hole sun is a coronal hole, not a black sun - CME (won't you come) and wash away the psychic miasma, the radiation, the VLF...

https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,44227.msg716884.html#msg716884

"NASA detects bubble wrapping earth and And this " protects" from space radiation"

Back
Top Bottom