Brazil Elections

A new one I just saw with interesting quotes from Dilma earlier today.
Original: _http://exame.abril.com.br/brasil/noticias/no-rio-dilma-acusa-psdb-de-ter-ajoelhado-diante-do-fmi

Dilma Rousseff accuses PSDB of having "kneeled" before the IMF

Rio de Janeiro - On Monday President Dilma Rousseff, candidate for reelection by the Workers’ Party (PT), accused Aecio Neves’ Social Democratic Party (PSDB), her rival at the polls, of having "kneeled" before the International Monetary Fund (IMF).

"(The second round) will put on one side those who defend employment and salary and on the other those who brought unemployment, knelt before the IMF and broke Brazil three times," said Dilma during a motorcade in Nova Iguaçu, in the metropolitan region of Rio de Janeiro.

Between 1998 and 2003, the Brazil signed several credit agreements with the IMF to cope with different internal and external crises, in a cumulative amount of US$ 79.4 billion, largely undertaken during the Government of former President Fernando Henrique Cardoso, of the PSDB.

In her speech, Dilma stressed that her Government "puts people at the center of everything" and accused opponents of "just thinking of the bankers and interest rates".

"I want to ask you to say no to regression in this election, to going backwards, to the loss of rights," added Dilma.

Dilma held today two acts of campaign in Rio de Janeiro, one next to each one of the candidates to the State Government, Luiz Fernando Pezão (PMDB) and Marcelo Crivella (PRB).

The President should attend today another rally in São Paulo along with former President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva.

Edit: these are just a couple os paragraphs from another article but they go well with the above (full article here: _http://politica.estadao.com.br/noticias/geral,dilma-diz-que-a-verdade-vai-vencer-a-mentira-em-pleito,1507057):

President Dilma Rousseff said on Friday that "in this election the truth shall win against all the deception and disinformation sown across the country". "If hope won against fear in the election of Lula, in this election it is important that the truth prevails against this amount of lies" (...)

As well as former President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva in his speech, Dilma also referred to the global economic crisis of 2008 and said that "Brazil safeguarded employment and wages like few other countries". "It was clear that Brazil (in the crisis) would not surrender, would not be shot down or kneel before the finance system represented by the IMF," she said.

Thank you for finding and translating these articles, Courageous Inmate Sort. I think this quote says it all:

"I want to ask you to say no to regression in this election, to going backwards, to the loss of rights," added Dilma.

Also, have you read Ricardo Melo's column? (http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/fsp/especial/191539-aecio-perde-batalha-da-verdade.shtml)

I've tried to translate it, as I found it very interesting. Hope you can correct any errors!

Aécio loses battle of truth

The conservative's insistence on calling "lies" undisputed facts melts his own credibility

The phrase attributed to nazist Joseph Goebbels -a lie repeated often enough becomes truth- has been the preferred response of the candidate Aécio Neves and his team when facing criticism. The problem is when the truth, repeated a thousand times, remains true, without any counterpoint or contradictory fact able to contradict it.

The PSDB candidate has built an airstrip on family property. The key of the luxury was with relatives, which, incidentally, he hired many. All documented. No research, even made ​​hastily, proved the necessity of that construction. This is not a private question. It is public money burned (wasted, spent) for personal purposes. There is an ongoing process for improper conduct. It is a fact, not a chosen and desperate whistleblower testimony, sorry, awarded testimony.

The government of Minas earmarked a fat slice of the advertising to telecommunications companies owned by the Neves family. Even the candidate himself doesn't deny. It's awkward to ask how he deals when the public and the private meet? It's brazilians' duty to discover the total amount, because it involves people vying for the presidency. "We do not record how much was spent," Aécio and his staff reply.

Documents of the Court of Federal Account of the state of Minas Gerais pointed alleged irregularities in the management of the current senator. The catalogue ("capivara" means a list of crimes and its codes commited by a person arrested) was mentioned during one of the debates. Hours later, the paperwork disappeared from the official site of the court, a public instance (!). Took Doril.(A joke based on an advertisement, meaning "to disappear") Disappeared. And nothing is done about it.

Evading the breathalyser and other little uplifting moments of the night life routine of the Senator are well-documented on the internet and printed media. They are not false, as well as the stand-up show associating the drug consumption of both Aécio and Maradona. Today the same artist poses as a supporter of Aécio since childhood. But he never denied the (validity of the) performance.

It's nonsense to say that bringing all this to the public is disgusting etc, etc. That shows the absence of arguments from those who don't have a retort.

Think about it: how many times have we encountered brilliant individuals (which is not exactly the case ...), with an erratic history whom we would be unable to point to a job position, even subaltern, in a company? There is no bias in it; only the desire to know who is the right person to the right post.

"Ah, but what about the programs and the proposals?", ask the usual puritans. Well, everyone knows what Dilma, Aécio and his right hand, Arminio Fraga, think.

Dilma for what she and her political party have done in recent years on the power. Aécio, for what things he and his team reveal in interviews and dinners. Things like cutting social spending, weakening of public banks, shrinking wages, unemployment in companies, rise of taxes, changes in labor laws and so on. The so called unpopular measures. For him, without these Brazil will worsen. Believe it or not.

With the campaign approaching its end, supposed rules of etiquette arise to hide the essentials. Smokescreen. The life and the future of millions of people are at stake. They have every right to know who intends to occupy the highest office in the Republic.

Polls are only polls. If we were to depend on them, the Workers' party would not have won in the first round in Bahia and Minas Gerais (states of Brazil), Aécio would not have the votes obtained in São Paulo, and the PMDB (Party of the Brazilian Democratic Movement) would be out of the second round in Rio Grande do Sul.

The point is not to demonize who make the polls. The point is to give surveys the importance they deserve. More than ever, the first round showed that who votes has the final say, not those surveyed. In the same manner as is pathetic the tactic of stamping indelible truths as lies, recorded on video, audio and sheets of paper.

It looks, English alternate media also started picking up.

_http://www.strategic-culture.org/news/2014/10/21/soros-and-cia-now-banking-on-neves-to-defeat-rousseff.html

Tomorrow is the election day and I'm trying not to feel depressed about it so I'll try to convey some observations here...

1) Today two of the biggest newspapers in Brazil have published "news" of the alleged involvement of both Dilma and Lula in the corruption scheme of Petrobras. Now they say there is testimony proving that Dilma and Lula knew about the corruption and actively participated in it. They (the official media) are trying so much to slander and debase the current government that some people who were not overtly leftist or conservative are waking up to the fact that there is something truly wicked at play, and IMHO, that's some improvement over the situation we had last week.

2) The 'cashmere protest' or 'revolution', as the Economist says: (http://www.economist.com/blogs/americasview/2014/10/brazils-presidential-election-0). They say 10.000 supporters of the rightist policies of Aécio were singing the national hymn (before the Iguatemi Mall, in one of the wealthiest regions of the city) and cheering and applauding the military police of São Paulo (the same one who crushed people last year until the conservative media spread the news that they were fighting for the country). The Worker's Party is seen as the Evil force, never mind the lack of water caused by the PSDB party and other frauds comitted throught Geraldo Alckmin's government of the richest state of Brazil, affecting millions of people (who voted on him for a second term).

And it's not raining yet.

latulipenoire said:
Tomorrow is the election day and I'm trying not to feel depressed about it so I'll try to convey some observations here...

1) Today two of the biggest newspapers in Brazil have published "news" of the alleged involvement of both Dilma and Lula in the corruption scheme of Petrobras. Now they say there is testimony proving that Dilma and Lula knew about the corruption and actively participated in it. They (the official media) are trying so much to slander and debase the current government that some people who were not overtly leftist or conservative are waking up to the fact that there is something truly wicked at play, and IMHO, that's some improvement over the situation we had last week.

2) The 'cashmere protest' or 'revolution', as the Economist says: (http://www.economist.com/blogs/americasview/2014/10/brazils-presidential-election-0). They say 10.000 supporters of the rightist policies of Aécio were singing the national hymn (before the Iguatemi Mall, in one of the wealthiest regions of the city) and cheering and applauding the military police of São Paulo (the same one who crushed people last year until the conservative media spread the news that they were fighting for the country). The Worker's Party is seen as the Evil force, never mind the lack of water caused by the PSDB party and other frauds comitted throught Geraldo Alckmin's government of the richest state of Brazil, affecting millions of people (who voted on him for a second term).

And it's not raining yet.

As I said before, there is a rising trend of people declaring extreme right-wing/facist ideals since last year's manifestations. These elections only made that more clear. I think there is even greater polarization to come, regardless of who wins the election.

Courageous Inmate, I saw both translations and both seem pretty good!

Little bit off topic but involving main culprit of troubles in Latin America - US ambassador to Bolivia expelled by president Morales!

Bolivia has expelled the US ambassador, accusing him of fomenting the civil unrest that threatens not only the country’s first indigenous Indian president, Evo Morales, but the unity of the nation itself.

“Without fear of the empire, I declare Mr Goldberg, the US ambassador, ‘persona non grata,”‘ said Mr Morales, echoing the anti-US rhetoric of his friend and close ally, Hugo Chavez of Venezuela.

“He is conspiring against democracy and seeking the division of Bolivia.”

Yozilla said:
Little bit off topic but involving main culprit of troubles in Latin America - US ambassador to Bolivia expelled by president Morales!

Bolivia has expelled the US ambassador, accusing him of fomenting the civil unrest that threatens not only the country’s first indigenous Indian president, Evo Morales, but the unity of the nation itself.

“Without fear of the empire, I declare Mr Goldberg, the US ambassador, ‘persona non grata,”‘ said Mr Morales, echoing the anti-US rhetoric of his friend and close ally, Hugo Chavez of Venezuela.

Can you please provide the source?

Isn't it funny (or rather sad) how they are able to twist what Morales is doing there, to the exact opposide of what he is actually doing?

It's sickening, to say the least...

I found this one (http://www.veteransnewsnow.com/2014/10/24/510812bolivia-expels-us-ambassador-philip-goldberg/. The thing is, although the news is from yesterday, Wikipedia says Goldberg left his job in 2008 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Ambassador_to_Bolivia. He is, again according to Wikipedia, Ambassador to the Philippines at the moment (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Goldberg.

Pashalis said:

Uh sorry :-[- somehow i've omitted the link, but latulipenoire ( :thup: ) provided it with some puzzling extra info... (it seems that today was may "veteransnewnow" day!?)

Perceval said:
Rouseff won it, by a nose, 51.45%.
:thup: 3 days back, according to 2 opinion polls she had 8% lead, it looks it shrunk considerably. BRICS will be there for a while.

seek10 said:
Perceval said:
:thup: 3 days back, according to 2 opinion polls she had 8% lead, it looks it shrunk considerably. BRICS will be there for a while.

Great news!! Now we'll see if they try any shenanigans by claiming the results aren't valid and organizing street protests.

SeekinTruth said:
seek10 said:
Perceval said:

Great news!! Now we'll see if they try any shenanigans by claiming the results aren't valid and organizing street protests.

If the opposition didn't try to pull a fast one, I would be surprised. I just hope that Dilma has good security. As well, it might not be a bad idea if she closed the American embassy and sent the ambassador packing, abolished all ngos, and legislated strict rules against lying by the media.
In any case, the next few years are going to be interesting.

Dilma does have relationships with some of Brazil's wealthy elite, and my guess is they see what is coming for the US and those under it's influence. And it seems these factions were powerful enough to not allow their country to go down with a sinking ship.

Renaissance said:
Dilma does have relationships with some of Brazil's wealthy elite, and my guess is they see what is coming for the US and those under it's influence. And it seems these factions were powerful enough to not allow their country to go down with a sinking ship.
Interesting!
It is undoubtedly a relief that Dilma won, and the BRICS may continue to prosper in South America.

Back
Top Bottom