Bre Payton


Jedi Council Member
FOTCM Member
Well, not really an outspoken anti-vaxxer. She had that one tweet from 2011, when she was a 19 year old college student. We don't really know what her stance was past that time, she didn't write about vaccines. She very well could have gotten a flu shot and died.

Yes, I too can think of many possibilities in this case, including the one that you suggested, Beau. What I find interesting is that many sources on social media are suggesting that if she wasn't an anti-vaxxer, she would still be healthy and alive, that vaccines actually save lives, etc. And I wonder if it's just their genuine opinion or if her death is possibly being used by certain interests to promote such view. But at this point, considering how little information is available, we can only speculate I guess.
A couple of tweets of the late Bre Payton. Pow and just like that, gone!

Bre Payton, conservative writer, dies at 26 after sudden illness
Payton, who was based in Washington, was in California this week guest-hosting a show on the One America News Network. On Wednesday, Payton told her Twitter followers to tune in that night to see her on television.

But the next morning, according to the Caring Bridge post, a friend found her “unresponsive and barely breathing.”

“She immediately called 911 and Bre was taken to the hospital where she was admitted to the ICU, sedated & intubated, and doctors began working up a diagnosis,” the post said. “After a CT scan and hours of testing, they have determined she has the H1N1 flu and possibly meningitis.”

Is that a sign that the H1N1 will "return" and they are using her death for their interests? how shameful!

A Federalist Remembrance Of Bre Payton, Our Colleague And Friend
By Ben Domenech December 29, 2018
I hired Bre Payton right out of college. She was green. She was unknown. She had never done TV. But she had worked through her last year of college, and I respected that. I interviewed a half-dozen people for the position. We met in the coffee shop I liked that had no seats, so we were by ourselves in crappy plastic chairs in the back.

From the moment we started talking I realized she was a potential star. She was raw, yes, but that could be honed. She was eager to learn, to write, and to go places—not because of ambition, but because she wanted to change the world. She was confident. She was sarcastic. She was cutting. But she was also sweet.

I’ll save the more personal stuff for when there’s a memorial for Bre in DC. But for now I’ll share the professional stuff. Bre Payton was one of the hardest-working young women I have ever met. She seized on things. Volunteered. Noticed the details. Never avoided an uncomfortable confrontation. She was self-deprecating on occasion, but never hesitant. The daughter of a manufacturer from California, she had the California girl accent and the occasional space cadet air, but the rest of her was all confidence.

Looking back at her texts, it took her almost a year to say, “I think I finally had a good hit.” It was less than a year later that she told another friend that being on TV is easy. “Just imagine you’re Beyonce.”

Bre was beautiful inside and out. She was distractingly beautiful for the men of Washington D.C.—Mark Hemingway recounted an experience yesterday of watching multiple conservative men wrench their necks to watch her walk past at CPAC. As in most cases, that meant everyone underestimated her. She was smarter than all of them, she would outwork them and outresearch them and outreport them, and that’s what made her great at her job.

What made her great at life was how much she, in a spirit motivated by her deep and abiding faith, loved everyone around her. The Federalist is a small staff, and our close-knit family of senior contributors outwork our competition because of that closeness. She was so compassionate with them in ways that showed how much she genuinely cared about other people.

She sent them motivational gifts during chemo. She reached out to help the people she barely knew with help on job searches. This was not to advance herself. It was because this was who she was.

When we hired and promoted Bre, it wasn’t about proving a point. But there was a point to it, consistent with everything we do at The Federalist. It’s that for too long, women in most of center-right media were relegated to the lower positions, expected to be the secretaries and research assistants who write the occasional book review.

We don’t seek to hire women—we seek to hire who’s best for the job. That turned out to be a number of women with great pens and humor and wit. I didn’t hire Bre to become another token woman. I hired her to eventually take jobs like mine, because she earned it.

I was a mentor for Bre as best as I could be, driving her to strive to achieve the things she hadn’t done yet. But she had that gene, too. She recruited our interns and managed them like a pro. She always made time for the aspiring younger journalists who looked up to her. She reached out with a genuine heart to those she thought needed it.

She was a source of constant encouragement and always cared about others first. Our last text thread was her guiding me through which medications to take and avoid given a similar pneumonia diagnosis and similar allergies. She didn’t have to do that. That’s just who she was.
Bre Payton lived life as if she was always ready to leave it. And she did, too early for all of the rest of us, at the age of 26. At 26, I barely knew who I was. I wish I knew the person she would’ve become. For now, it has to suffice that I knew the person she was.

I spent most of yesterday on the phone with all the people whose lives Bre touched. It is such a testament to this funny, hard-working, charismatic young woman that by the age of 26, she had managed to touch so many varied lives with the joy she brought to her passions, to her work, and to her life.

So that is why today, for all of us at The Federalist, I can say: whatever the number of our days on this good earth, there will not be one when we do not miss her.
About 5 years ago, a longtime friend and former roommate retired and moved 2700 miles to Vancouver Island. One day about a year later, he collapsed, was taken to the emergency unit in the hospital where they worked on him, but he died within 24 hours. The doctors assessed that he died from an “unknown virus”. He was a very healthy 67 year old who loved the outdoors.

In mid December 2017, my wife and I drove 1500 miles to Florida, as we have done now for several years to enjoy the winter sun. On Christmas morning she would not awaken from her sleep. She was completely unresponsive but still breathing, so I called an ambulance. It appeared that she suffered a stroke but after many tests that was ruled out. By the evening of Dec 25, after many Intravenous drugs, she was awake but very weak and tired. The IV drugs continued through the night and in the morning she was much better but still weak. The drugs continued but by the evening of Dec 26, she had what I now call in retrospect, a 'sort of near death experience' that lasted until about 4am. Her energy levels soared and fell and she kept tearing out the IV drips. Her hallucinations included REPEATEDLY yelling, to the invaders that she saw in the room, the words “Fly me up to Florida” as if she had been taken down to the deep depths of the earth. She also took on the mannerisms and voice of her recently departed brother (6 months previously). I was with her all the time as the staff set up a cot for me to sleep in her room for the 5 days she was there, and between the screaming, crying, and some dozing, we were praying. The screaming / yelling at the invaders stopped by the morning of Dec 27, but the 'invaders' were now quietly residing in the closet and she kept a close watch on them. The drugs were slowly reduced and by the evening of Dec 28 she was much quieter and stronger. On the morning of Dec 29 she took her first steps by herself as she was bed ridden all this time and she was discharged that afternoon, albeit in a wheelchair.

The final diagnosis: unknown virus that caused toxic encephalopathy.

She decided that she will not take any of the long list of drugs prescribed to her by those doctors. She has steadily improved since then using only minerals, supplements and some homeopathy, and on Feb 5 we did a 1 mile walk and continued doing that for several weeks. She is back to normal and we both think she was very lucky to escape the clutches of 'an unknown virus'.

This story of an unknown virus attacking Bre Payton strikes a chord with us and our hearts and sympathies go out to her family and friends. May God bless.
Top Bottom