Burton and Taylor (2013) Helena Bonham Carter

Rich

The Living Force
For an antidote to mainstream UK TV festive shenanigans I watched this film last night and really enjoyed it.
Another film of Helena Bonham Carter to secure a rating of 100% on Rotten Tomatoes, this film focuses on the lives of two movie stars: Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor. Sharing screen-space with Dominic West, Bonham Carter was ecstatic. She owned the role of Elizabeth, and her crackling chemistry with West made their love-hate relationship believable
thecinemaholic.com
I don't have much to say about it other than thought it was well acted and very watchable.

Interesting idea for a film. I watched Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf? recently, featuring both Burton and Taylor as a warring couple, terrific acting in that one. They were obviously very talented super-ego's in action, larger than life.

I watched "The Wings of the Dove" (1997) last night and thought it was even better! The Wings of the Dove (1997) - IMDb
It is a pretty slow film and not really much seems to happen. I was a bit surprised I had been unaware of it and it was a bit difficult to track down. HBC was as great as ever and played the Period Drama role as well as she does. Coincidentally I had watched Fight Club the night before (also starring HBC) and found the contrast in styles really worked. Fight Club seems to demand constant attention to keep track, whereas with this I found the film opposite and really relaxing. I also kind of enjoyed the fact of what you want to happen never seems to materialize. I think this film should be on everyone's HBC movies to watch list!

Back
Top Bottom