can you tell me a good book about the British Empire in India?

loreta

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I am reading the letters of Miss Emily Eden, around 1830, that went to India with her brother that worked for the British Empire. It took, at that time, around 6 months to travel by boat to go to India from England. Can you imagine? 6 months. How come the British conquered a so vast country if traveling was so long? The description of the life of the British in India are so amazing that we have the impression of reading a very surrealistic situation. For example she had 30 maids that were are her service. Or when they decided to travel to another part of the country they took around more than 100 elephants plus 300 maids and the same amount of camels, etc. It is incredible how the British acted in India. And how about starting to shoot tigers, their favorite sport apart to treat Indians like slaves.

I am really interested to read about this Empire but I don't know any historian that tells the true story, apart Hannah Arendt in her book about totalitarism. Can someone propose an author?

Thank you in advance!

There is a book about to be published tomorrow (!), so I don't know whether it holds the truth or not. William Dalrymple: The Anarchy: The Relentless Rise of the East India Company. You find it e. g. on Amazon.

There is a book about to be published tomorrow (!), so I don't know whether it holds the truth or not. William Dalrymple: The Anarchy: The Relentless Rise of the East India Company. You find it e. g. on Amazon.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom