Canadian Orwellian world: Lockdowns, vaccines passports and more

Noticed this also on the Western Standard by "Derek Fildebrandt is Publisher, President & CEO of Western Standard New Media Corp." The subject is Gun's vs. Rapists/Pedo's, and did not actually know how lax things have become for the latter:

1667671562112.png

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills some days.

I concede its entirely possible I — in fact — could be the crazy one. But for the moment, let me make the case it's the Canadian political-legal establishment that has flown over the cuckoo's nest.

In a split decision, the Supreme Court of Canada struck down a 2011 Harper-era law that made it mandatory for rapists, pedophiles and other dregs of that ilk be added to the National Sex Offender Registry, and those with two or more more offences would remain on that list for life.

The ruling follows the case of Eugen Ndhlovu, charged with two counts of sexual assault in 2015 after he admitted to sexually assaulting two women at a house party in 2011. At the time, he was 19 years old. Ndhlovu was sentenced to six months in prison and three years of probation.

Now, your friendly neighbourhood pedo can apply to have his status changed, thanks to the compassion of Canada's Supreme Court.

The Trudeau government has been remarkably silent on the ruling, deferring — as Liberals tend to do — to the wisdom of the Supreme Court as infallible as the Pope.

This would be textbook case for applying the Charter's "Notwithstanding Clause" to override the top court's decision. It's a constitutional sledgehammer that should be used sparingly, and never casually. The courts get it wrong all the time — creating fake rights where none exist, and failing to protect real rights that have long existed — but the sledgehammer should be swung only when the court is so obviously wrong and detached from reality that no precedent of causality would be set.

Keeping the names of repeat pedophiles and rapists on a publicly disclosed list is clearly one such case. When I hire a new reporter, I'd like to know if an applicant pops up on such a list when I Google them.

But, it would seem in the post-national dominion in which we now live, this would be unfair and cruel.

What is fair and not cruel is to preemptively treat law-abiding citizens as criminals, so the logic goes.

While invoking the "Notwithstanding Clause" to keep rapists and pedos on a list would constitute a gross violation of our rights, invoking the Emergences [War Measures] Act to put down a protest of bouncy castles and hot tubs, is not.

In 2022, a repeat pedophile can move into our neighbourhoods or land a job at your office free from public knowledge. But an Alberta Metis grandmother can be jailed without bail for months and legally stopped from speaking publicly before her trial for the crime of organizing a protest against a federal government that nakedly stripped people of real rights.

Crazy pills.

Law-abiding firearms owners are regularly subjected to pre-crime harassment by the federal government.

On the thoroughly discredited Liberal belief that stopping hunters and sport-shooters from owning firearms will stop criminals from hurting people, the Liberals used a combination of legislation and cabinet decrees to ban wide swaths of guns. This came in the cabinet decree of May 2020 that banned 1,500 different firearms, mostly because they looked scary in the eyes of people who know nothing about guns. Or in the June 2022 announcement that all sales of handguns in Canada would be banned, which police say will do nothing to reduce crime.

Of course, it's unlikely the Liberals and Supreme Court would see much wrong with a National Gun-Clingers Registry, to keep track of Canadians convicted of not handing in their otherwise lawful property. They are doing everything they can to quietly reintroduce the infamous long-gun registry, the national plan that wasted billions of tax dollars without doing anything to stop real crimes.

It's one registry the Liberals and Supreme Court seem to have no program with.

Repeat, convicted sexual predators are protected from having their names added to a registry while protestors against authoritarian overreach and lawful gun owners are treated like criminals.

Maybe I am taking crazy pills, or maybe I've just become a curmudgeonly old man before my time, but I suspect the internal contradictions of moral relativism has finally become too obvious to ignore.

Seems Tim Hortons got in trouble for selling soup with bugs - a lawsuit was filed and they had to pay app users with a "free hot beverage and free baked good."

Curiously, the other side of The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) is Health Canada, who has approved the eating of bugs under their Safe Food for Canadians Regulations (SFCR). The CFIA weighs back in with the following:

The CFIA has detected low levels of arsenic, cadmium, lead and mercury in edible insects, but traces of pesticides or metals do not mean they are unsafe to eat. Appropriately used and monitored pesticides do not pose health risks to humans.

Right.

In other news, apparently Canadians want masks back, at least the statistics make it appear that way. That's the thing about statistics, their ability to do statistical gymnastics.

So here is the slant:

1668150627466.png

I'm pretty sure, at least were I live, that these numbers would be flipped 180 degrees to 22% in support. When masks were originally dropped it was easy to see how fast people rid themselves of them. At first there may have been around 22% who wanted them and continued to wear them, but the rest, no. This is like the Boosters, they are having big troubles now recruiting arms from those who were vaccinated (forget who were not), so who knows what they will try next.

As for the articles contents, it will get repeated along the conveyor belt of the mainstream press from coast to coast, and heck, the government will 'suddenly' feel the pressure to act (Canadians have spoken), because that is what Canadians want, or so we all are being told, apparently.

Look what statistically happens in the provinces themselves with these statistics:

At a national glance, Canadians across the provinces evenly agreed to the idea of the mandate, with respondents from most provinces reaching over 60 per cent in agreement. British Columbia reported the highest support with 72 per cent, followed by 71.4 per cent in Ontario, 71.3 per cent in the Atlantic, 65.3 per cent in Quebec and 62.9 per cent in the Prairies.

I've another bridge for sale in Tuktoyaktuk.

So, can anyone guess what's coming, at least what they might try and do by order, again?

I don't know one person who will be happy, although there will be some:

METHODOLOGY​

Nanos conducted an RDD dual frame (land- and cell-lines) hybrid telephone and online random survey of 1,084 Canadians, 18 years of age or older, between Oct. 30 and Nov. 4 as part of an omnibus survey. Participants were randomly recruited by telephone using live agents and administered a survey online. The sample included both land- and cell-lines across Canada. The results were statistically checked and weighted by age and gender using the latest census information and the sample is geographically stratified to be representative of Canada.

Individuals were called using random digit dialling with a maximum of five call backs. The margin of error for this survey is 3.0 percentage points, 19 times out of 20. This study was commissioned by CTV News and the research was conducted by Nanos Research. Note: Charts may not add up to 100 due to rounding.
:umm:

The ASEAN bloc of countries are Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam. Canada's tax dollars at work.

Trudeau puts cash behind pledges during ASEAN summit visit

Visit comes as Canada tries forming tighter bonds with Asian countries

Nov 12, 2022

PHNOM PENH, Cambodia — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau unveiled a slew of funding announcements in Cambodia on Saturday aimed at deepening economic and academic ties with Southeast Asia, after decades of sporadic engagement with the region.

“This is a generational shift,” Trudeau told leaders gathered in Phnom Penh for a summit of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations.

“I am announcing concrete investments that are part of our commitment to this relationship,” he said, before listing $333 million in new funding.

He was speaking at an event commemorating Canada’s 45 years of relations with ASEAN, which comes as the group negotiates a free-trade agreement with Canada.

The bloc of 10 countries includes some of the world’s fastest-growing economies, and the Liberals say they want to shift trade away from China over concerns that span human rights to intellectual property.

“There are no surprises; the cards are on the table and our goal is to be present in the region,” Foreign Affairs Minister Melanie Joly told reporters in French.

Trudeau unveiled funding for closer ties in Southeast Asia, spread over the course of five years.

The largest chunk, $133 million, will involve feminist-focused development aid in ASEAN countries, a quarter of which will be earmarked for Canadian civil-society groups.

Ottawa will also spend $84.3 million for a new Shared Ocean Fund aimed at cracking down on illicit fishing in the region
, and $40 million for an engagement fund that will help public servants as well as civil society do research on the Indo-Pacific region.

The Liberals are allocating $24 million for a private-sector centre to inform businesses of opportunities in Asia, and the same amount for the Asia-Pacific Foundation to operate an office on the continent. There is also funding to run educational exchanges and to help ASEAN counties partake in trade-deal negotiations with Canada.

Meanwhile, Trudeau’s office said ASEAN granted Canada status as a comprehensive strategic partnership, which is the highest tier of recognition for non-member countries. The U.S. and India were also granted this status Saturday, placing them alongside previously recognized partners Australia and China.

ASEAN as a bloc already makes up Canada’s sixth largest trading partner.

The majority of the population in ASEAN member countries is under 30, a demographic shift that’s shaping economic opportunities in the region. A rising middle class is boosting countries such as Indonesia and Thailand, while the prospect of cheap labour has companies relocating jobs from China to places like Vietnam and the Philippines.

The ASEAN bloc of countries are Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam. Canada's tax dollars at work.

Let me get this straight. So, to commemorate Veterans Day in Canada (rumor has it that his deputy PM celebrated the Day with Zelensky in Ukraine, which turned out to be untrue), Justin leaves the country and hands out swaths of taxpayers funds to the ASEAN block, with the bulk of it going to "feminist-focused development aid" and other funds backdoored in some way?

1668457638308.png

Speaking of Veterans day, Justin did after all celebrate, in Vietnam, though:

1668458602327.png

Proof the deputy PM was by his side - what is she really thinking of?

1668462464322.png

Which some say was odd considering Canada's past testing:

1668458928473.png

Meanwhile, in honor of Justin, the National Gallery of Canada had hung a painting in error that was immediately cancelled, although it had attracted rave reviews:

1668457156397.png

This is a summary of what came out at the hearing on the Emergency Act from Frontier Centre for Public Policy, a kind of think-tank based in Winnipeg MB. They do seem in their articles to be riding herd on the Liberal government so I tend to like the information they collect and present.

Public Inquiries and Public Trust

Interesting points summarized below.

"Testimony before the Public Order Emergency Commission reveals the case for government invoking the Emergencies Act is either weak or very weak."

"On February 12, the federal cabinet knew that the City of Ottawa had already reached an agreement with the protesters to de-escalate the conflict by removing most of the trucks from the streets. "

"The same day, {Feb 14} cabinet was given a “Proposal: Trucker Protest Engagement” from the Deputy Minister of Public Safety, Rob Stewart. The cabinet learned that this proposal was supported by Ontario Provincial Police Insp. Marcel Beaudin with the assurance that Police Liaison Teams were ready to make contact and negotiate with the protesters to defuse tension."

"Testimony of OPP intelligence chief, Supt. Pat Morris, revealed that there was no intelligence information suggesting that the nation’s sovereignty was under threat."

"The Senate did not pass the act. Once 45 senators in the Senate had spoken against the measure, with more still to speak, it looked like it was going to be defeated. " Then Trudeau dropped the Emergencies Act in advance of a Senate vote.

"As well, all the provinces had to pass the act within 30 days. Seven voiced opposition after the Act was invoked on February 14."

"Another factor that contributed to lifting the public order emergency was pressure from Wall Street. Freedom Convoy lawyer Keith Wilson told a reporter “I have it from a very high source…big players in the finance investment community said ‘Wait a minute. What just happened to Canada? I thought it had the rule of law. I thought it had checks and balances. And is this now like…investing in Venezuela or Cuba?’"

Proof the deputy PM was by his side - what is she really thinking of?

1668462464322.png

1. "No man should stand taller then me. I'll make a policy that all men must be on their knees within 50m of me."
  2. "Oh, right. He's not actually a man... No, that doesn't matter. 50... 100 meters!"
  3. "'Thank you. Thank you. By accepting your applause, I acknowledge your realisation of my rightful place as President of the UN...' No, no. Too obvious. '... I acknowledge your acceptance...' Yes. Much better."
  4. *beep* *boop* *beep* - INCOMING TASKING - *boop* *beep* - PROGRAM UPDATED - *ding*
I have no idea.

1. "No man should stand taller then me. I'll make a policy that all men must be on their knees within 50m of me."
  2. "Oh, right. He's not actually a man... No, that doesn't matter. 50... 100 meters!"
  3. "'Thank you. Thank you. By accepting your applause, I acknowledge your realisation of my rightful place as President of the UN...' No, no. Too obvious. '... I acknowledge your acceptance...' Yes. Much better."
  4. *beep* *boop* *beep* - INCOMING TASKING - *boop* *beep* - PROGRAM UPDATED - *ding*
I have no idea.
Benjamin nailed it, lol!

my favorite canadian female deep dive researcher -
often something you may not hear anywhere else - like a trans/athelet compeating as a man in very early 1900's ...she also reveals all the drug use - thru out everything...
Survival of the Sh-ttest...
Published November 17, 2022
AmazingPolly ..
What do all the scandals have in common? Con artistry and "better living through chemistry." I base this video around the spectacular FTX crash and Kanye's trainer Harley Pasternak, but it's about something mo

Truckers/People:

Most are all well aware, as some were aware of the many clips and headlines on Coutts (the U.S. side Sweetwater). In the latter case, if one did not see its whole, it may have looked like a minor part in the bigger picture, where in fact it was a very big picture in its own right. Extremely important.

Here is a documentary from its beginning to end, and it is not until the end that one sees just how big this had become, how many Canadians aided this small group that did not give in. It shows the RCMP's negotiations on behalf of their tyrant master's dictates out Ottawa, who would not acknowledge the wrongness of what they had done (and of course they wouldn't, would they). It has a look at Jason Kenney's pathological two-step, his lies.

This thing, this stand in Coutts, should never be forgot, nor the individual people who held their values high in extreme conditions for all Canadians - for the world.

1668888920241.png

(1 hour 10 min.):

Trucker Rebellion - Coutts Blockade (2022 Documentary)

View the YouTube video.

Jordan Peterson interviews Premier Danielle Smith on conservatism and Alberta​

Story by Tyler Dawson • 10h ago

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith:
Alberta Premier Danielle Smith:© Provided by National Post
Alberta Premier Danielle Smith recorded a podcast episode with Jordan Peterson, the controversial Canadian psychologist, right-wing social commentator and best-selling author. In the podcast, which is hosted on the Daily Wire, a conservative news outlet founded by Ben Shapiro, Smith, who’s been premier for roughly one month, speaks about issues facing conservatism, problems with the media and Alberta energy. Peterson, who is also an occasional columnist for National Post, introduced Smith as “quite a firebrand from the west.” The pair discussed everything from equalization and environmentalism to faith and family. Below, some of the main takeaways from their conversation.

On Alberta’s constitutional jurisdiction​

Smith: I can’t set up military bases. I can’t go out and negotiate international trade agreements on my own. I can’t sadly even manage passport offices much as my residents here would probably wish I could because they’ve been managed so poorly, but it’s supposed to be a two-way street. That means that the federal government should not be legislating or interfering in our areas of jurisdiction either.

On what has happened to Alberta’s energy industry​

Smith: It’s been devastated since 2014. And some of that is technological change. There was a new type of of development called horizontal multistage fracking, which allowed for us to open up massive oil and gas fields and as a result, the prices ended up collapsing. So that happened just before the federal government got elected. So we were already struggling in this province. But then, as we’ve been trying to find our feet, find new markets, we have been stymied at every single step.

On why Alberta still delivers equalization payments​

Smith: We don’t have have much control over that because what happens is they over-tax us at the federal level. This is sort of one of the flaws of our constitutional arrangement that we set up is that the federal government can tax us into oblivion, and then they hoard a pot of money and then they sort of dribble it back to us saying “Oh, if you run your programs our way, then we’ll transfer you some of the dollars back.”

On environmentalism​

Smith: I think we have ceded the ground to the extremists like Extinction Rebellion, and we haven’t elevated the more moderate environmental voices and that to me is going to be my big challenge is that I want people to understand that, yes, we can provide energy security. Yes, we can address issues of affordability. And we can do it in a way that is going to be the most environmentally responsible bar none, looking at all of the other options and all of the other producers around the world. That is going to be I think our big communication challenge.

On the costs of energy​

Smith: It creates grave danger for those who are on fixed income going into an environment — especially in our northern climates, January, February, March, April — it’s dangerous not to have reliable power, not to be able to have reliable home heating and we have to be mindful that, as you say, the people most impacted by that are the ones at the lower end of the income scale.

On the energy transition​

Smith: We are not going to transition out of oil or natural gas. We’re going to transition away from emissions, are going to produce these products in a way that has lower and lower emissions. And we’ve got great technology to be able to do it…. I think (it is as) ludicrous to talk about phasing out oil and natural gas as it is ludicrous to talk about phasing out concrete or phasing out steel. We are increasingly using our base products for construction materials for plastics and we are always going to need to have those.

On Alberta politics​

Smith: We are facing a very tough competitor in the NDP. They have have cemented themselves as the progressive vote and they have been polling strongly ever since they left government last time around. So I don’t want to take take it for granted. But I, I think these are the issues that are going to turn the election, that is, as much as the NDP and all of the socialist parties like to act as though they’re looking out for the middle class, they are not. They used to be a party that looked out for the little guy. Now they want to maintain the elite institutions and the elite structures that we have, which only benefit those at the very top and also benefit those who are in decision-making roles in the bureaucracy, and it hurts the little person…. When conservatives, often when we run campaigns, we often talk about how much we’re going to cut and we’re going to reduce taxes and anybody who relies on a government service, whether it’s health care or education or post-secondary or children’s services or social services, they think, “Are you cutting the things that I need to be able to survive?” And so we have to develop a different philosophy of government.

On NDP leader Jagmeet Singh​

Smith: There’s a story that the socialists tell themselves, that the last time they were most effective in getting their agenda passed was when there was a minority Liberal government and they, they had the balance of power…. I think that there is, this is probably the most left wing Liberal government we have ever had…. I got accustomed to seeing more moderate Liberals in those positions in the past, like Jean Chrétien and Paul Martin, which ran balanced budgets and surpluses and helped to develop the economy. I mean, a Liberal who wants us to do well so they can steal our wealth is a Liberal government I can understand like, let’s scrap over who gets to the benefit of the wealth creation. A Liberal who wants to destroy wealth creation, and then think that you can have phony wealth creation by printing money is somebody who I simply don’t understand…. I think foundationally they just believe in central government planning, central government decision-making, central bureaucrats making all of the decisions printing money, and everything will be fine.

On the challenges facing the New Democrats​

Smith: They’ve really cannibalized their own base of support because the NDP used to be the party of the working person. They used to be the party of labour. They used to be the party of the blue collar guys and gals and they’re not that anymore, because every single time a resource project comes up, they end up taking the opposite position.

On conservatives attracting immigrant supporters​

Smith: There’s a lot of lip service paid, I think on the progressive side of the spectrum to reaching out whereas … the values that we have in the conservative movement are really reflective of newcomers who come to Canada.

On family​

Smith: We know that the best environment for an individual to be able to thrive is when they’re surrounded by a supportive family. So any policies we can do to support families, staying together, thriving, helping each other is going to be something that builds our movement.

On faith and fellowship​

Smith: I would say that there’s an open hostility to faith on the other side of the spectrum, whereas we embrace faith communities across the full range because we know that that adds that additional layer of support if something goes wrong. Our faith communities are some of the most generous communities when you look at how they support members who end up in trouble. On top of that, then I would add fellowship because there are some people who are no longer part of the faith community, but they’ll join the Rotary Club or the Elks club or their Lions Club.

On LGBTQ issues​

Smith: I think part of the challenge was that we’ve had so much social change over the last 20 years, and the conception of what it meant to have that strong and stable relationship was very binary. It was one man one woman. I think now that we’ve broadened out the understanding that everybody needs a life mate, and it doesn’t matter whether that’s someone of the same gender or the opposite gender, having a life mate is what is important. And now we’ve also broadened out so that those who are married in even same-sex relationships also are developing families as well. And I think that that has made the conservative movement far more inclusive than it might have been historically…. I mean, there is this notion that those who have that sort of characteristic from the LGBTQ+ community are automatically aligned with the progressives and I can tell you that it’s not, that is not the case — we have gay leaders in the conservative movement.

On a conservative vision for governance​

Smith: We spend a lot of time creating an excellent business environment to attract investment and grow the amount of revenue, which is fantastic. That’s one of the things that I think people can reliably count on conservatives to do. But then what we do is we take that big pot of money and we hand it to the central planners and say “Go deliver stuff.” We hire the exact same people that the socialists hire when somehow we just think, “Oh, well, we’ll hire better central planners,” without realizing that central planning is the fundamental flaw in how we’re delivering our programs.

On free enterprise and the delivery of public services​

Smith: If we were to apply our free enterprise values, then we would say, “It all begins with the individual,” giving individual choice, empowering them with dollars so that they can then go and purchase the things that they need to purchase. You would have competition, you would have not only public-sector providers, but nonprofit providers and charitable providers and for-profit providers all competing with each other to deliver the best service at the lowest costs…. You have to have a different purchaser and a different provider and then somebody else evaluating the performance to see how you’re doing and this is the way that you will apply conservative principles to how you deliver health care, how you deliver seniors care, how you deliver advanced education, how you deliver K to 12 education, and that’s the project that I want to engage and get started on. Conservatives normally shy away from these types of issues. And we normally don’t put forward a vision of how we want to do it differently.

On conservatives and culture​

Smith: The conservative movement has pretty well ceded the ground on so many of the culture-shaping institutions that we have. In K to 12 education we don’t have a large number of conservative, libertarian-minded teachers, helping to connect kids with all of the different ideas that are out there…. We’ve also seen at the universities … how difficult it is to get your research funded, if you happen to have something beyond woke views…. On top of that all of our arts organizations, our filmmakers, the messages that come through all of our Hollywood and other popular film is almost uniformly negative to conservative ideals or capitalism or liberty, although, you know, there are some notable exceptions.

On how long this will take​

Smith: So I’m talking about the things that I need to do to try to advance the message, but I’m not going to succeed unless we also have the backup that we need to have the advocacy groups and the think tanks and academics in the universities. We need to be hiring teachers and filmmakers who are going to tell our stories. And I think that this is a 20- or 30-year project because it took 20 or 30 years to get to the place we are right now. It’s going to take 20 or 30 years to get us to some sort of balance. But we’ve got to start by recognizing the nature of the problem we created for ourselves and starting to undo it.

Alberta Premier wipes Alberta Health Services
Alberta Premier wipes Alberta Health Services.

The premier replaced the 11-member board was replaced with a single administrator — Dr. John Cowell. He held the role for a year under former Progressive Conservative premier Alison Redford.

“He can accelerate the changes that we all need to see,” Smith said at a news conference on Thursday afternoon.

Health Minister Jason Copping said the government must act quickly to get wait times for surgeries back on track.

Cowell said he’s ready to get to work on behalf of Albertans to build a better system to support patients needing care.

“I look forward to working with the AHS team and taking tangible actions to drive much-needed change,” he said.

The change comes as the new premier makes good on her promises to overhaul AHS.

On Monday, former chief medical health officer Deena Hinshaw was fired and replaced with Dr. Mark Joffe.

Hinshaw, of course, gave former premier Jason Kenney’s government advice to lockdown the province and to coerce Albertans into being vaccinated. Under her watch, Alberta Health Services entered places of worship to investigate whether restrictions were being followed and gave orders to arrest pastors.

Joffe, the vice-president and medical director for Cancer Care Alberta, Clinical Support Services and Provincial Clinical Excellence for Alberta Health Services, will reportedly take on the role on an interim basis.

NDP Leader Rachel Notley is panicking about the changes. She called Smith’s announcement “bad political theatre” and claimed it’s unlikely to resolve the core issues behind surging hospital wait times, ambulance shortage and addressing the backlog of surgeries and medical procedures.

Speaking at the Rural Municipalities of Alberta fall convention on Nov. 8, Notley promised to restore stability to health care by undertaking the largest recruitment effort in the province’s history, if elected premier next year.

Speaking of Premier Danielle Smith, here she was in 2019 penning an article (as a Calgary Herald columnist) on eating Beef:

Smith: If you care about the planet, eat more beef

Effective immediately, I have vowed to double my beef consumption and I’m doing it to save the planet.:flowers:

No mistaking, it is the 1669099212907.png province.

Danielle continues:
It seems curious timing, doesn’t it, that the week that the British medical journal The Lancet came out with the recommendation to reduce our beef consumption by 90 per cent, that the new Canada Food Guide would mirror the recommendations by saying we need to reduce our consumption of red meat and sugar. Really? Are we to believe that eating meat is as bad for you as eating Halloween candy?

Having watched the environmental movement for a long time, I don’t believe in coincidences. Researcher Vivian Krause discovered a co-ordinated attack on our farmed fish industry funded by U.S. interests funnelling money to Canadian environmental groups. She then exposed a co-ordinated attack on our Alberta oil industry funded by U.S. foundations funnelling money to Canadian environmental groups. I want to know who is funding this attack on our beef industry. Whoever it is, the industry needs to fight back. {she knows}

Not only do I think these “expert” recommendations are dangerous to our health, I also think the loss of our cattle industry would be devastating to our environment.

Red Angus cattle.
Red Angus cattle.

First, I have a vegan brother so I know that getting the full complement of amino acids from plant proteins takes some work. There are nine amino acids that the body can’t produce itself. To be considered a complete protein, the food has to have all of them. Meat, eggs and dairy are all complete proteins. My brother eats a lot of hemp seeds, quinoa and soy which are also complete proteins. Beans and peas aren’t; they have to be combined with rice to get all you need. If people simply reduce their consumption of meat, without knowing how to get enough whole plant proteins, they aren’t going to be healthier. They are going to get sick.

Second, I also happened to be at a conference of grassland management experts for two days this week, moderating the annual conference of the Association of Alberta Agricultural Fieldmen. These are the folks who ensure Alberta remains rat free and noxious weed free. They know more than anyone about managing rangelands for biodiversity, wetlands and soil health.

One of the experts who spoke at the AAAF conference was Yamily Zavala, who is a crop and soil nutrient management expert with the Chinook Applied Research Association.

Her research has found a symbiotic relationship between planting a complementary variety of plant species, bacteria and fungi, which work together to sequester carbon in the soil through a number of complex biological and chemical processes. New research from the University of California also recently concluded that grasslands are an even better and more resilient carbon storage option than trees.

Zavala told the conference her project doesn’t receive government funding. I suppose if she were working on computer models predicting catastrophe rather than doing applied research on carbon sequestration, it would probably be a different story.

AAAF passed a resolution to request that Alberta Agriculture and Forestry develop a process to allow farmers and landowners to access carbon credits for land used for permanent pasture, perennial forage or land that is left forested. They presented research that these lands can sequester as much as nine tonnes of carbon per acre. If producers were paid the going rate of $30 a tonne for their sequestration efforts, that would be $270 an acre. On a 1,000-acre ranch, that would amount to $270,000.

If our food producers are capturing and permanently storing this much carbon, then they darn well should be getting paid for it.

I shudder to think what would happen if, at the next UN meeting in Paris or Marrakech or Katowice, our federal government bends to the will of environmental zealots and signs a new protocol to reduce our cattle herds to 90 per cent below 2005 levels by 2050.

Imagine what would happen if we did that. What would become of those carefully managed grasslands? They would very quickly become an overgrown fire hazard, and we’d end up with out-of-control grassland fires burning all over the prairies, releasing carbon dioxide as they incinerated.

Let’s just stop this insanity right now. If you care about your health and the planet, you should eat more beef.

Perhaps Alberta will continue to eat Beef, while the East (and perhaps Lotus Land Victoria) will eat bugs if they are not allowed to fish. Ocean waterways is federally controlled after all.

Anyway, the one constant, and JP seems the get it if one hears him, is the continuous inclusive talk of C02 in the overall narrative; even Danielle brings it up in her talking points, and now - years later after her win, she seems to even have the need to incorporate it, not rebuttal it as a manufactured issue that it is (strategic maybe). Sure, Smith talks about limiting pollutant emissions, no arguments there, however C02 emissions drives the liberals and drives the conservatives - it is the vehicle for all the global puppet masters, although the latter conservatives have toned it down. The latter conservatives may just be maintaining the façade that needs to be kept up, even though the may know more than they are saying, well one would hope. They may also know that what it is designed to do is a forgone conclusion, so how to best exist with it. On the other hand, JP knows well that energy cost must come down to bring people up. These days, though, the word 'emissions' is usually identified with C02 when before it carried many different connotations (different pollutants).

For the Alberta oil industry, covid produced another shift of big corporations buying up the small caps leases (a constant play over decades that cycles), and the big caps are doing very well, yes very well - the oil price has offset any C02 constraints, as well as tax issues and write downs becoming a boon for them.

Danielle stated in talking with JP, that Hydro and Nuclear are the future, not oil and gas. Interesting statement for her to make in an oil and gas province - a concession even? However, Smith is also looking at forward technologies yet to be devised/improved, while knowing oil and gas will not go away (the system will allow it to remain expensive - she says it may be years before it comes down; your guess? On the surface, she is not a fan of solar and wind, although Alberta has big projects by big stakeholder players taking place.

When Smith mentions Hydro, not sure, but this may key into water diversion projects - Alberta was always part of it with the Alberta-Great Lakes Canal plan, yet mostly a BC snow basket/watershed endeavor - it is a semi on the shelf long-term (NAWAPA) project.
Danielle talks a good talk, and it is an uphill battle, however hope she does well and lives true for Albertans.

Jordan Peterson interviews Premier Danielle Smith on conservatism and Alberta

Thank you.

1669097401317.png

Back
Top Bottom