Chinese "Swedish web-shop" stole my bank card information

SHNAGFNAY

Jedi Master
I suspect that my bankcard details have been stolen.

I ordered clothes from what I thought were a Swedish clothes web shop, but the money were drawn I later saw in my internet-bank, from Beijing in China. Some days later I got problems with my Netflix payments. It wouldn't go through so I contacted my bank who said they had "soft blocked" the card (don't really know the correct term). I had to contact some department within my bank who handles the security, blocking cards. It was blocked because of that "China" purchase. So I had to verify that I had made this purchase and they unblocked my card. Then I could re-register my card at Netflix to make payments.

So today I saw an unknown activity when logging in on my bank. It was a payment with no money drawn, which I assume is when you register your card with a service, from 'Blizzard Entertainment Schiphol-Rijk'. For instance when you register on Netflix they first draw no money only later to draw money. So assume my card had been registered this way with Blizzard Entertainment.

I immediately sent a message through the bank, but thought I bit further and decided to call the same number I had gotten before, and they completely blocked my card instantly. So this happened tonight, and the "activity" had just been noticed by me, so perhaps I were moments away from getting robbed? I never had anything to do with Blizzard, I think. The only games I have is Wolfenstein Youblood on steam, which I purchased months ago on my computer, and they have nothing to do with Blizzard. Otherwise I have no other games or consoles but had PlayStation 4 a few years ago. Is it possible that this "activity" is from some old games I may have downloaded years ago on PlayStation 4? But I only downloaded free games, and I don't remember if I entered my credit card on those occasions, perhaps I did.

The shop I ordered from is -http://www.helstektgris.se. They drew more money than what it said on checkout, the payment were successful but the order is 'pending' six days after purchase, while they say it should take them 1 to 2 days to send it. If you speak Swedish the name of the shop should get you suspect. In English it would say 'whole fried pig dot com'. Later I saw that the language on this shop were poorly written, with grammar mistakes and English used in some places within Swedish sentences.

I called my father after calling the bank, he said he knew of someone who had been ripped off before but didn't know from who. Dad also told me he had made a similar mistake ordering from what he thought were a Swedish shop but also turned out to be from china. He had no clue until after he had made his purchase but he did receive his item after two months. Turned out that many had been ripped off from that website. And he had to pay additional tax when getting his package.

So why did I order from this website? Well, I have two zip hoodies that I like very much and wanted a new one for the future. They are the same, and I ordered the first one many years ago from a legit website in Sweden, the second one I ordered from France. I tried to order it from eBay too, but didn't receive it, and in fact got some other hoodie because they didn't have the hoodie I wanted. So they decided to send some other hoodie without notifying me. I ended up sending it back but agreed to pay the shipping. The seller still has this hoodie item up on eBay to this day. The hoodie is nowhere to be found last time I checked around.

There wasn't any secure verification when I made this "china" order. I simply entered my card details and the purchase went through immediately. Usually my bank has a verification process, but I have experience with some other sellers who don't have this feature with their purchases.

That sounds like a harrowing experience. I’m not an expert in this, but I would suggest you cancel that card or account with the bank & set up a new one. I would also change all passwords and login in details for internet banking, clean up your history etc., just so whoever is behind this can’t steal/hack more of your personal data (identity theft). I dislike PayPal (for various reasons) but there is a higher degree of safety in using an intermediary for handling web payments rather than giving your credit card or bank account details directly to the seller. If you used a credit card you also have the option of raising a chargeback (time limits apply but it’s usually a good few months). Another (slim) possibility might be contacting the police department for international fraud or theft. Good luck with it all, and I hope you get to the bottom of it!

If you just used your card (no bank account details) then just get a new card from the bank and be more careful about what sites you use in the future. If you suspect, even slightly, that a website is bogus, you can go a net search for any reviews of it to see if others have had problems. If it's a scam site, they usually have.

Yes I just used my debit card. Talked with my bank this morning over the phone and they are sending me a new one. They told me to look over my transactions history for now, in case there is any suspicious charges.

I did look for reviews before I made the order, and I could only find one comment from someone, so I didn't think much of it. That person claimed he didn't get what he had ordered with the seller explaining that particular item was out of stock. Since my item had over a thousand products in stock, according the site, I decided to make the mistake of making the purchase.

But I didn't read it carefully, and looking at this review now, I realize that I shouldn't have given away my bankcard details in the first place.

Here is the review translated from Swedish:

Where should I start?

I should have wished I saw the name ...

I ordered a pair of work pants in size XXL anyway and got a skirt in size medium a few weeks later.

After 10-15 back and forth (there is no phone) to a Chinese "support aunt" they still want to say that I ordered a product that was not in stock and that they then sent their "best selling" product as compensation. I may not return or refund. The aunt says that if I send the skirt back (I stand for the freight ...) it can get lost and I have lost everything! ??!?!

DON'T EVEN THINK OF SHOPPING THIS SITE !!!

And I didn't even read the last part :zzz:

I reckon if they had over a thousand in stock, or even a hundred, you can be pretty sure it's probably drop-shipped from China.
It's good that you caught it in time before anything worse happened.

I tend to stick to well known sites, always check reviews, and also look at estimated delivery dates. The longer the delivery takes the more likely it is that it's coming from China.

It never ceases to amaze me how folk come up with new and improved ways of scamming people. In the UK, we have a site called Gumtree which is kind of like Craig's list (it's an online second hand store).
We always laugh about this one "woman" who calls themselves Mary Cambell (an incorrect spelling of the common surname Campbell) who will reply to any high priced advert you put up and offer to take your item straight away, no questions asked.

They then go on to say how they are housebound and have x,y or z medical issue and that they will send a courier to pick up the item. Then they use the old bait and switch "paypal payment pending" routine where they try and get you to cough up £200 with the promise of double that back again.

It's crazy that some people still fall for it. "Mary" with the Nigerian bank account has been at it for years. She must have so much stuff in her house! :lol:

Yes I just used my debit card. Talked with my bank this morning over the phone and they are sending me a new one. They told me to look over my transactions history for now, in case there is any suspicious charges.

I did look for reviews before I made the order, and I could only find one comment from someone, so I didn't think much of it. That person claimed he didn't get what he had ordered with the seller explaining that particular item was out of stock. Since my item had over a thousand products in stock, according the site, I decided to make the mistake of making the purchase.

But I didn't read it carefully, and looking at this review now, I realize that I shouldn't have given away my bankcard details in the first place.

Here is the review translated from Swedish:

And I didn't even read the last part :zzz:

You should add your own review there or somewhere else.

The general rule where I am is: never use a debit card. I don't even have debit cards for my accounts. The reason is where I am, there are no protections for debit card fraud. So, I use credit cards, which have mandatory protections by law.
I don't know anything about protections but I can make chargebacks with my debit card. Perhaps that is something I should do but I'll wait in case they do send the items, though I highly suspect they won't.

Today I got the parcel from china! It contained two hoodies which doesn't resemble the hoodies I had ordered, at all. I don't like them, they look cheap, probably fakes, labeled with Adidas logos. Also, I have sent two messages to the shop, but haven't got any responses yet. I mailed Blizzard too, just to see how they would react, but they weren't giving much of an reply, speculating that their security MIGHT have blocked their transaction.

Today I got the parcel from china! It contained two hoodies which doesn't resemble the hoodies I had ordered, at all. I don't like them, they look cheap, probably fakes, labeled with Adidas logos. Also, I have sent two messages to the shop, but haven't got any responses yet. I mailed Blizzard too, just to see how they would react, but they weren't giving much of an reply, speculating that their security MIGHT have blocked their transaction.
I’d be filing an ‘item not as described’ chargeback with your debit card provider. If possible, keep all the packaging with the details of the sender, any enclosed paperwork etc. for documentation purposes, & go from there. Best wishes for a speedy response from your bank.

I've been thinking a little about how to proceed. So it seems I just need to fill in a form from the bank, and it all may have to be reported to the police first, not really sure.

This is from the form that I am not sure if I should check that option:
Hereby certifys that no one in the family (me or other member of the family) have made this/these transactions through internet.
Note! Police report should be enclosed.

But I did make this order so perhaps I should skip that. I'm sure the bank will let me know if I need to make an report. Should I make an report I must call the police, since they won't file it online, as you can do other type of reports.

Then I would just have to check this
I have not received the ordered merchandise/service ___ /___ specified on the enclosed order confirmation. I have attempted to resolve the dispute
with the merchant.

Also not sure if I should fill in my old debit card or the new one.

Here is the form:

Just a thought : maybe the two things are unrelated.
The Blizzard thing is similar to this :
-https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/do-enchanted-fey-dragons-come-from-the-netherlands/224129
So it's something related to this game. Someone bought something there with your card.

There is still the possibility that you got a keylogger on your pc or maybe phone ? (I don't know if it's frequent, but I know that some android apps have been compromised lately), that stole your card number data. Have you opened any suspicious email attachments recently?

So if the keylogger is still on your PC or device, then if you enter again some new card numbers, they may be stolen again.
So you might want to check all your devices. Or maybe use another bank account for all internet transactions (I use N26).

I also usually check the presence of the site on social networks, if they are quick to answer and so on. Even if they ship from China, it can be ok (a lof ot sellers on ebay and amazon are doing this), but they need to have legal info on the website (corporate tax identification, which we call SIRET number in France).

Can you post some links / pictures of the hoodie ? I'll do a quick search if you're still searching for it.

Can you post some links / pictures of the hoodie ? I'll do a quick search if you're still searching for it.

It is named 'Urban Classics Diamond Quilt' or 'Diamond Quilt Zip Hoody Black'. I had a number for it sometime ago but I lost it, starting with TB* something/numbers*.
s-l1600.jpg

Back
Top Bottom