Climate change: scientists attack David Murray for 'serious slur'

Nook

Dagobah Resident
_http://www.theage.com.au/environment/climate-change/climate-change-scientists-attack-david-murray-for-serious-slur-20131101-2wqcc.html

David Murray: "There's been a breakdown in integrity in the science."

David Murray, a senior banking figure, has delivered a “serious slur” on leading Australian scientists in televised comments and he should withdraw them, a leading body representing climate scientists said.

Mr Murray, a former head of the Commonwealth Bank and inaugural chair of the Future Fund, told ABC's Lateline programme on Wednesday that “the climate problem is overstated” and that “there needs to be some consensus” about the science.

Asked by host Emma Alberici what it would take to convince him - such as the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), which involved dozens of Australian scientists - he replied: "When I see some evidence of integrity amongst the scientists themselves.”

“I often look at systems and behaviours as a way of judging something, and in this case, to watch the accusations that fly between these people suggests there's been a breakdown in integrity in the science," Mr Murray said.

“The society regards the remarks of Mr Murray as being a serious slur on the integrity of the many Australian and international authors of the IPCC report, and views them as highly offensive to those authors and to the profession at large,” he [Blair Trewin, the society's president] said.

Mr Murray, who is reportedly a frontrunner to head Treasurer Joe Hockey's planned inquiry into Australia's financial industry, has previously said there was “no correlation between [global] warming and carbon dioxide”.

Not sure if this is newsworthy but I think it's interesting, given that he's a banking figure, who went on to express concerns over the integrity of the science community.

Back
Top Bottom