Coimbra Protocol for autoimmune diseases

Vajra91

The Force is Strong With This One
The other day, while I was combing the web in search of an effective cure/treatment for psoriasis (as usual), I came across this interesting protocol from a brazilian doctor named Cicero Galli Coimbra. A protocol that, apparently, has proven useful in the treatment of all manners of autoimmune diseases.

Coimbra Protocol - General Information (the closest I could find to an "official" page about the protocol)
http://www.vitamindprotocol.com/dr.-coimbra-s-ms-protocol.html (another explanation of the protocol, more or less the same info from link n.1 with a few other details)
Coimbra Protocol Summary - This Is MS Multiple Sclerosis Knowledge & Support Community (The most in-depth collection of information on the protocol I've found thus far)
A pilot study assessing the effect of prolonged administration of high daily doses of vitamin D on the clinical course of vitiligo and psoriasis. - PubMed - NCBI (Study on high daily doses of vitamin D for treatment of psoriasis and vitiligo)

Now, as a disclaimer, I've only discovered this protocol very recently. I'm still researching the subject and my understanding of the details is still limited. At first, my intention was to wait and research a while longer, maybe even trying the protocol myself before posting about it, just so that I would have some personal experience to speak of and not risk wasting anybody's time.. But then I realized that there's probably a lot of people on this forum who are much more experienced and qualified at researching this kind of thing than I am, so.. Here you go.

In short, this protocol revolves around the administration of very, VERY high doses of vitamin D. The rationale behind this seems to be that people with an autoimmune disease have an increased resistance to vitamin D and thus need a much higher dose in order to benefit from it's immunomodulatory effects. The dose is increased until the levels of parathyroid hormone, the production of which is inhibited by vitamin D, reach the lower limit of their normal range, taking care to never suppress the parathyroid hormone (PTH). According to Coimbra, so long as the PTH is not suppressed, he can be sure that he's not giving a toxic dose of vitamin D. A few supplements are also administered as part of the protocol to improve vitamin D metabolism.

The major risk of this protocol seems to be the possibility of hypercalcemia, but according to Coimbra a careful diet (i.e. no dairy, at all, ever) and proper hydration can reduce the risk to a minimum.

Still according to Coimbra, there are a few factors that could severely hamper the effectiveness of the treatment, specifically stress, depression, some specific drugs and.. Smoking (ouch..).

These seem to me like the major bullet points of the protocol. There is a lot more information available, specifically in the links above, but as I said I'm only just starting to figure this out and I don't want to risk passing along incorrect information. Still, between the studies and the testimonies, this seems promising to me.
What really surprises me is that, despite the constant research, this is the first time I've read about this. Especially in light of the fact that, a few years ago, I tried another protocol based on vitamin D (that one was only 10.000 i.u. per day though and with non of the co-factors) which, at the time, prompted me to do quite a bit of research on the subject.
Anyway.. I hope this will prove to be of some use.

Interesting, thanks for sharing!

During my initial Carnivore diet experiment I discovered that tanning is useful and helpful for keeping my psoriasis in check. I've read that a number of dermatologists recommend using UVB lamps as a psoriasis treatment, but didn't see any clear statement as to the mechanism of action possibly involved. If this high dose vitamin D therapy is an effective treatment, then maybe there's a localized vitamin D component that causes the improvements.

I've also had a similar experience. A few years ago I tried a rather intensive round of phototerapy (via hospital) and it did prove quite effective in the short term. Unfortunately it was also kind of expensive and required me to travel away from home for a few months. I tried to replicate the results with "normal" (lower intensity) UVB lamps, but it didn't really work for me. But yeah, it is also my understanding that sun exposure is usually recommended in the treatment of psoriasis, specifically because it induces the production of vitamin D in the skin (starting from dehydrocholesterol which eventually turns into D3). So your hypothesis seems sensible, same mechanism but localized rather than systemic.

So, small update, I've decided to go ahead and give this a try.

A few days ago I met with a doctor specialized in the coimbra protocol, brought him a bunch of blood and urine tests. We discussed the protocol a bit, what to expect, what risks there are and how to minimize them.. All that remains is to acquire the various substances.

He prescribed me Vitamin D3, Omega 3, Vitamin K2, magnesium chloride, biotin and a galenic preparation containing magnesium gluconate, riboflavin, zinc gluconate, folic acid, vitamin B12, selenium methionine, pyridoxal-5'-phosphate and thiamine hydrochloride (I think that's the proper translation anyway, in Italian it's tiamina cloridato). I was also prescribed a daily intake of at least 2.5 liters of low-calcium water (less than 13mg/L), about 1 hour of aerobic exercise (even just a fast walk) every day, and of course, no dairy and no food that has been fortified with calcium. He also suggested that I stop smoking, or at least reduce the number of sigarettes I smoke on a daily basis to 2 or 3.. I suppose I'll try to smoke less, for once. See how it goes.

I'm not sure whether I should write the exact dosages.. I could, if anyone wants to take a look at the specifics, and it goes without saying that I would love any feedback. Of course, in case I do write them, I also feel the urge to repeat that this protocol should probably not be attempted without medical supervision. Besides, the dosages have been, at least in part, tailored to my specific needs. I don't know, you guys let me know how to proceed.

According to the doctor, the protocol should start showing some results in about six months (although, from what I understand, a lot of people get results much more quickly than that, for psoriasis at least). As for any potential side effects (i.e. hypercalcemia, hypercalciuria and, in extremis, bone loss) as long as I follow the prescription (specifically the hydration/exercise/no dairy part) the protocol should be very safe. I will also repeat the blood and urine tests every 3 months, both to make sure that my calcium levels are stable and to check whether we need to increse the Vitamin D dosage (or reduce it, I guess, should we ever increse the dosage to the point where my parathyroid hormone becomes suppressed. That would be very, very bad)

One thing that has me slightly worried is the lack of balance between vitamin D and the other liposoluble vitamins (A and E in particular, vitamin K2 is integrated as part of the protocol). I suppose I'll try to balance that a little through diet and add a vitamin A and E test to my next blood tests, 3 months from now, to keep an eye on the situation.

God I hope this works.. I mean, it should, the evidence is there and I do feel quite hopeful.. Wish me luck people 🤞

Psoriasis responds very well - and rapidly - to auto-hemotherapy.

Psoriasis responds very well - and rapidly - to auto-hemotherapy.

I have been trying AHT for a few months actually. Just wrote a post about that in the "Quinton plasma/water, or percutaneous hydrotomy" thread. Until now, AHT has indeed helped with the pain. Not so much with the actual lesions however. In fact, the positive effects almost seem to be slowly diminishing over time. Then again, it might take more than 2 and a half months to see better results. But I do intend to keep administering the injections

What really surprises me is that, despite the constant research, this is the first time I've read about this. Especially in light of the fact that, a few years ago, I tried another protocol based on vitamin D (that one was only 10.000 i.u. per day though and with non of the co-factors) which, at the time, prompted me to do quite a bit of research on the subject.

I've read one study which showed that Omega 3 increases the active form of vitamin D, which is something that is rarely tested in blood exams, even in most studies. So perhaps such high doses of vitamin D are not necessary if taken together with Omega 3.

Currently I'm also experimenting with this combo and I can say that vitamin D is helpful, but Omega 3 is doing something much more powerful to my brain. I haven't felt any sleep improvement with vitamin D, but with Omega 3 I felt it from the first night.

I have been trying AHT for a few months actually. Just wrote a post about that in the "Quinton plasma/water, or percutaneous hydrotomy" thread. Until now, AHT has indeed helped with the pain. Not so much with the actual lesions however. In fact, the positive effects almost seem to be slowly diminishing over time. Then again, it might take more than 2 and a half months to see better results. But I do intend to keep administering the injections

Perhaps AHT can be improved with the improvement of the quality of your blood. Perhaps this protocol will also improve your experience with AHT. I wish you luck, in any case.

I've read one study which showed that Omega 3 increases the active form of vitamin D, which is something that is rarely tested in blood exams, even in most studies. So perhaps such high doses of vitamin D are not necessary if taken together with Omega 3.

Interesting. The Coimbra Protocol does include Omega 3 as a co-factor.. I wonder if this is the reason for the inclusion, and if this effect of Omega 3 is taken into account when the specific dosage of vitamin D is prescribed, or not. Might be worth looking into that.

Currently I'm also experimenting with this combo and I can say that vitamin D is helpful, but Omega 3 is doing something much more powerful to my brain. I haven't felt any sleep improvement with vitamin D, but with Omega 3 I felt it from the first night.

Can I ask you how much Omega 3 you are taking, or how to figure out what an appropriate amount would be?

Perhaps AHT can be improved with the improvement of the quality of your blood. Perhaps this protocol will also improve your experience with AHT.

It's an interesting theory, I could see that be the case. Let's hope so! It might end up sparing me from having to follow the protocol for life, at the very least (assuming it works, of course).

I wish you luck, in any case.

I wish you luck as well!:hug2:

There has been reported cases of psoriasis disappearing with an organic fish rich diet. Removing inflammatory foods is mandatory to make progress with any protocol.

Cayce give readings about psoriasis. Here is his perspective:

The Edgar Cayce readings, while recognizing the wide variability associated with psoriasis, consistently maintain that this disease most often can be traced back to problems with eliminations. Many of the readings on psoriasis refer to a "thinning" of the walls of the intestines, particularly in the area of the upper small intestine between the duodenum and the jejunum. According to the readings, substances can "leak" out of the intestine and be picked up by blood and lymph circulation.

The body has four primary routes of eliminating toxins from the body: the colon, kidneys, lungs, and skin.In psoriasis, the other eliminating routes are not able to completely eliminate the toxicity.Thus, the skin pathology associated with psoriasis represents the body's desperate attempt to cleanse itself.

Here is an exemplary excerpt from the Cayce readings on psoriasis, which describes the intestinal pathology and the treatments to heal it.
"Q.Please give me the cause and cure for the so-called psoriasis with which I am troubled.
"A.The cause is the thinning of the walls of the intestinal system, which allows the escaping of poisons - or the absorption of same by the muco-membranes which surround same, and becomes effective in the irritation through the lymph and emunctory reactions in the body.
"An effective cure for same is first being mindful of the diet, during the periods when these necessary elements would be given for creating those activities within the system to close such conditions:
"In the system we would use elm water and saffron water. These would be taken in the ordinary drinking water, during periods of one, two to three weeks at a time. All the drinking water, carrying, then, either a small quantity of elm or the Saffron. For this adds to the assimilating system those properties that become effective to the aiding of building within the system itself those conditions that will overcome such activities in the system.
"The diet during such periods should be more of vegetables than of meats or sweets, so that there are those reactions that make for better unification in the membranes' reaction within the body."(289-1)

EDGAR CAYCE'S THERAPEUTIC MODEL

Edgar Cayce's therapeutic approach to psoriasis is summarized in the following excerpt:
"The conditions that exist through the thinning of the walls of the intestines allow the poisons to find expressions in the lymph circulation; thus producing the irritation to and through the epidermis itself....
"Q.Is there an absolute cure for psoriasis?
"A.Most of this is found in diet.There is a cure. It requires patience, persistence - and right thinking also." (2455-2)
Consistent with the above quote, the treatment suggestions in the Cayce readings rely heavily on patient, persistent application of dietary recommendations and a positive, expectant mental attitude toward healing. The rationale of treatment is to decrease the amount of toxicity in the intestines, improve general eliminations, and heal the "thinned walls" of the intestines. Also, the cause of the thinned intestinal walls needs to be addressed.

Here is a basic treatment protocol for psoriasis:
  1. INTERNAL CLEANSING: Hydrotherapy includes drinking six to eight glasses of pure water daily, enemas or colonic irrigations, and cleansing diet of fresh fruits and vegetables.
  2. HEALING OF THE INTESTINES: Herbal teas were recommended in the readings to assist with healing the gut.Typically, the slippery elm bark tea is taken in the morning before breakfast and the American yellow saffron tea is used in the evening.
  3. DIET AND NUTRITION: The Cayce diet for psoriasis is basically fresh fruits and vegetables.Certain foods (which tend to increase intestinal toxicity) must be eliminated from the diet.Taboo items include red meat, fried foods, carbonated and alcoholic beverages, and dairy products that are not low fat.Dr. John Pagano has also identified the nightshade group of vegetables(tomatoes, tobacco, eggplant, peppers, white potatoes, and paprika) as particularly harmful for persons with psoriasis.
  4. SPINAL ADJUSTMENT: One of the primary causes of thinned intestinal walls identified by Edgar Cayce are problems with the spine. Pressures on certain spinal nerves (particularly the mid-dorsal area) can compromise the nerve energy to the intestinal tract.Osteopathic or chiropractic treatment can help correct the misalignment of spinal vertebrae and improve nerve functioning.
  5. ATTITUDES AND EMOTIONS: The mental and emotional aspects of healing are very important.Particularly, an attitude of desiring and expecting to be healed is essential ("right thinking").Positive mental attitude is necessary for following this healing regimen. Doubt (or lack of conviction) will make it almost impossible to stick with the dietary and cleansing treatments, which are a lifestyle adjustment for most individuals.A positive mental and emotional attitude and can be created and maintained by focusing on a high purpose (ideal) for being healed.
source : Overview of Psoriasis

I healed myself an "incurable" autoimmune disease with Cayce advices, this is why I have a great confidence in his treatments.

Typically his explanations for psoriasis sound right for me. Absorption of toxins which end up into the skin. The element to take into account however, is that readings were given between 1900/1940 so fruits was less polluted at this time we can suppose.

Yes, skin issues usually announce elimination issues. That's why diet would be so important.

I don't think 5cc of AH is enough. I've done 12 cc a week for 17 months. Only recently did I reduce to 5 cc as a "maintenance" dose. I'm pretty sure I needed the larger amount to do the job and it took many months. But, it's cheap and all-natural!!!

There has been reported cases of psoriasis disappearing with an organic fish rich diet. Removing inflammatory foods is mandatory to make progress with any protocol.

I tried removing inflammatory food in the past, but it didn't seem to make a difference at all, although I never tried a fish rich diet specifically (effective because of the high amount of Omega 3 generally present in fish, maybe?) , nor was I following any protocol at the time whose efficacy could have been boosted. Maybe it would be worth paying more attention to it now, along with AHT and this protocol.

Cayce give readings about psoriasis

Interesting. A diet mostly consisting of fresh fruit and vegetables and without red meat is definitely something that I have never tried before.. Not sure how accessible spinal adjustment would be for me, but everything else seems relatively simple. Thank you for sharing that.

I don't think 5cc of AH is enough. I've done 12 cc a week for 17 months. Only recently did I reduce to 5 cc as a "maintenance" dose. I'm pretty sure I needed the larger amount to do the job and it took many months. But, it's cheap and all-natural!!!

Quite possible.. I'll see if my doctor is willing to slowly go up to at least 10cc. If not, maybe combining 5cc with the protocol and a better diet might be enough. I am somewhat wary of attempting to perform this myself, but.. Bad come to worse, I guess that would be an option. That, and I really need to learn how to be more patient. 2 months and a half and I was already becoming disheartened.

I take 5 ml of salmon oil per day, which they say has a 500 mg of EPA and 460 mg of DHA.

Thank you! That also made me take notice that my prescription doesn't specify between the different fatty acids, it's just 1g 3 times per day. I'll make sure to keep that in mind.

I healed myself an "incurable" autoimmune disease with Cayce advices, this is why I have a great confidence in his treatments.

Typically his explanations for psoriasis sound right for me. Absorption of toxins which end up into the skin. The element to take into account however, is that readings were given between 1900/1940 so fruits was less polluted at this time we can suppose.
Indeed ! Not only fruits and vegetables are more polluted (glyphosate is an incredible evil, it takes the place of the marvellous amino-acid glycine !! ), but also they are transformed: selected to be more big and juicy and more fructose (sugar is inflammatory), genetically modified, artificially grown by force (fertilize, hormones for plants), and poor of minerals (because soils are poor especially of magnesium).

Fruits and vegetables from today are nothing to do with those 1 century before. At the contrary, they are inflammation-inducers. Moreover, they've got natural toxics (phytic acid, lectins, oxalate - see Keyhole's thread on oxalate). These latters didn't have so much impact 1 century before as fruits were not so denatured, perverted as nowadays.

If one wants to know if his diet in good or not, I know 2 tricks:
- if you have a big belly: this is bad fat stored from carbohydrates in tissus in peritoneum around gut. But it's better not to wait for it to form to realize that one's diet is bad.
- the glucometer, a very simple device easy to find. See Dr Georgia Edd's website or this sott article The number one tool for improving your health this year: A glucometer -- Sott.net.

That also made me take notice that my prescription doesn't specify between the different fatty acids, it's just 1g 3 times per day. I'll make sure to keep that in mind.

There is also another thing that might be important, although it is still a little controversial. And that is the specific form of Omega 3's. Some people say that the phospholipid form is better. This is usually emphasized by the krill oil producers, although salmon oil is quite similar and much cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom