Computers can predict psychosis, schizophrenia

kalibex

Dagobah Resident
Disjointed speech, where one thought is not well-connected to the next, is common among people with schizophrenia.

The 1990s saw many guidelines developed to help doctors predict psychosis from listening to dialogue. They can do so with remarkable accuracy - nearly 80% of the time, they are right.

A new study (link is external) published in Nature Schizophrenia showed not just that computers were good, but that they were perfect. The algorithms correctly predicted which at-risk youth would go on to develop psychosis over a 2.5 year period with 100% accuracy.

All well and good, but if it does indeed turn out that 'schizophrenics' are essentially 'failed shamans'.... which do you predict would be more likely...that this would be used to screen people to help them become the functional shamans that they could be...or used to make sure that any possible future shamans are completely subdued/repressed/medicated into ineffectiveness?

_https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/your-online-secrets/201508/algorithms-predict-schizophrenia-100-accuracy_

Quite interesting.

Since Psychopaths also seem to have problems in coherently putting sentences together, the question arises, if an algorithm for that, could also be created? Of course, such test can never be a 100% fit and it would't be good to only rely on them, but it would certainly be interesting, OSIT.

But it could be much more difficult then in schizophrenia, since it seems that the language of psychopaths is more subtil to decipher.

As far as I know, they seem to be able to put complex sentences together mechanically coherent, but here and there, some words slip out that make no sense, when you look at it empathically within the context.

Failed shamans? Could you point me in the direction of where this info comes from? My grandmother was a schizophrenic. I never saw any symptoms. They told me once I was born, she was suddenly fine and never had an "episode" again. But the failed shaman thing piques my interest. She taught me that religion was bunk and science was just the flip side of that coin. She steered me towards physics and yoga and meditation and spent hours upon hours teaching me in the garden about the symbiotic energy relationships between plants, animals, people and the earth and the universe. For years I have been watching new science give technical words and data to back up the things she taught me as a child.. So I'd love to read more

Rennie564 said:
Failed shamans? Could you point me in the direction of where this info comes from?

This forum thread or this article for example might be of help.

Reading the Wave would probably give a better picture though ;)

You can always use the search function on the top right of the page if you're looking for something in particular.

Rennie564 said:
Failed shamans? Could you point me in the direction of where this info comes from?

Hi, Rennie. The relevant info. is from the following session:

Laura said:
Session Date: August 20th 2011

Q: (L) Okay. What's the next question? (Psyche) We were checking some statistics and we realized that full siblings of schizophrenics are nine times more likely than the general population to have schizophrenia, and four times more likely to have bipolar disorder. Is {name redacted} affected by this genetic tendency?

A: Oh indeed! However this requires explanation. First of all, the genetics that are associated with schizophrenia can be either a doorway or a barrier. Second, the manifestation of schizophrenia can take non-ordinary pathways. That is to say that diet can activate the pathway without the concomitant benefits.

Q: (Burma) I think that they're saying that schizophrenia could essentially be a way to be open to seeing other aspects of reality but diet can make it so it basically just makes you crazy without actually seeing anything.

A: Primitive societies that eat according to the normal diet for human beings do not have "schizophrenics", but they do have shamans who can "see".

Q: (Perceval) So a schizophrenic on animal fat is a shaman. (L) Well, wait a minute. There's something real subtle here. What I think you're saying is that when these genetic pathways are activated through wrong diet, it screws up the shamanic capacity?

A: Yes.

Q: (L) So, schizophrenia as we understand it or have witnessed it is a screw-up of something that could or might manifest in a completely different way on a different diet? Is that it?

A: Yes

Q: (L) And that's what you meant by not only a doorway, but also a barrier because the person who is on the wrong diet and has schizophrenia is barred from being able to be a bridge between the worlds. They kind of get lost. They're barred from having a normal life, and they're also barred from coming back from their delusions or whatever they're seeing even if they're not delusions. Maybe they’re seeing, but they're unable to help or do anything.

It sounds like an really interesting study. Only imo it does only represent a symptom of Schizophrenia instead of finding the real culprit, which are maybe bacteria which most likely cause Schizophrenia. As for example stated in the autoimmune topic.

Telling the difference between imagination, negative or positive, vs "something [objectively] there" outside of physical perception range, seems very difficult if not next to impossible. EE seems to disperse the former allowing for the latter to no longer be drowned out in noise in all of its many kinds, though, but that's just a working theory / experiment.

Complex. :|

Thank you everyone for helping me out! I did try searching first, but I think I tried searching the wrong terms. I couldn't find anything. This is so fascinating to me. I'm reading through this and realizing why she stopped having symptoms when I was born. She stopped eating the processed food/margarine/crisco/sugar diet soon after I was born.

Rennie564 said:
Thank you everyone for helping me out! I did try searching first, but I think I tried searching the wrong terms. I couldn't find anything.

Don't know if you have realized this so I'm putting it out there. Next to the search function is a drop-down menu that shows which area of the forum you want to search. You have "Entire forum", "This board" and "This topic" and "google" or "bing". Sometimes we don't realize that we may be searching in a topic or board when we really want to be searching the entire forum.

Schizophrenia, cholesterol, eating disorders and a nice tan – our Neanderthal legacy
News Palaeontology 06 October 2017
_https://cosmosmagazine.com/palaeontology/schizophrenia-cholesterol-eating-disorders-and-a-nice-tan-our-neanderthal-legacy
Links within:
Two new studies add breadth and depth to our understanding of the contribution of Neanderthal DNA to the human genome. Dyani Lewis reports.
The hallmarks of an ancient tryst between our early human ancestors and their now extinct Neanderthal cousins are dotted throughout modern human genomes. Two new studies add to our understanding of our Neanderthal paramours and why traces of their DNA remain within us still.

In the first, an international team led by researchers at the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in Leipzig, Germany, sequenced the genome from a 52,000-year-old female Neanderthal, whose remains were found in the Vindija Cave in Croatia.

The technical feat, described in the journal Science, is just the second time that a near-complete genome of such high quality has been reconstructed from DNA fragments extracted from millennia-old fossils. It’s also the first from a Neanderthal who lived closer to the centre of their known geographic range, which extended from the tip of southern Spain, across central Europe and the Middle East, and into Siberia.

Previously, Neanderthal genome studies have relied on a single high-quality example – that of the 120,000-year-old ‘Altai’ Neanderthal from southern Siberia – and a smattering of lower quality and incomplete genomes from across Europe.

The additional genome bumps up the estimate of how much Neanderthal DNA remains in the modern-day human genome – for those whose roots are outside of Africa – to between 1.8 and 2.6%.

The genome also provides insights into how Neanderthals lived. “What you learn is that there were not many Neanderthals around, and they were all closely related,” says Kay Prüfer, who led the study.

It’s an exciting finding, says palaeontologist Darren Curnoe from the Australia’s University of New South Wales, who wasn’t involved in the study, and could shed light on why Neanderthals went extinct. “If a population like that is inbred, then it doesn’t take very much to push it to extinction,” he says, “and it certainly doesn't mean necessarily that humans intervened in any way to push them to extinction.”

The Vindija Neanderthal – perhaps because of its more central location – is more closely related to populations that intermingled with early humans, though there were probably multiple occasions where humans and Neanderthals mixed.

Most Neanderthal DNA sequences have been purged from the human genome in the millennia since those ancient pairings, likely because they were detrimental to our ancestors.

But what of the sequences that have stuck around? Previous studies have linked Neanderthal sequence variants to changes in immune function, metabolism and pigmentation.

The Vindija genome adds a handful variants to this list, including one associated with lower levels of artery-clogging LDL cholesterol, and others linked to schizophrenia, eating disorders, visceral fat accumulation, rheumatoid arthritis and our response to antipsychotic drugs. How these variants might change disease risk remains to be investigated.

While most studies have linked Neanderthal genes to medical conditions, a new study, published in the American Journal of Human Genetics sought to find out if Neanderthal sequences play a role in modern human appearance and behaviour.

For this, Michael Dannemann and Janet Kelso, from the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology, turned to the UK Biobank pilot study, a database containing information on 136 measurable traits – detailing everything from a person’s outward appearance or behaviour, to their blood pressure and fat content – for 112,000 Britons.

Dannemann and Kelso identified 15 Neanderthal variants that were strongly associated with measurable characteristics in modern humans. Over half of these were related to skin and hair colour or ease of tanning.

Surprisingly, given Neanderthals’ reputation for giving redheads their fiery locks, few redheads had Neanderthal hair colour variants. However, in most cases, the way in which Neanderthal DNA influences modern human skin tone or hair colour is far from clear. The team identified Neanderthal variants more common in olive-skinned people, as well as variants more common in fair-skinned people, for instance. And human variants were just as influential as Neanderthal variants in determining skin and hair colour.

This higgledy-piggledy mixture likely points to the Neanderthals themselves being varied in skin tone and hair colour, says Dannemann.

Two Neanderthal variants were identified that influence sleep patterns. Combined with the pigmentation variants, there appears to be an outsized contribution of Neanderthal genes related to sunlight exposure.

Dannemann speculates that this could be because Neanderthals adapted to the lower UV levels and more variable day lengths in Europe some 100,000 years earlier than our own forebears, who readily snapped up the Neanderthal variants and then retained them through to present day. But, says Dannemann, “it's something that we can only speculate on, since we don't really know the molecular mechanisms behind it.”

Neanderthal variants linked to complex attributes such as smoking, dietary preference, a lack of enthusiasm and loneliness were also identified.

“We're a complex beast and some of that complexity isn’t inherent to us,” says Curnoe, who wasn’t involved in the study. “Some of that comes from our archaic cousins, which for me also raises questions about how complex they must have been.”

Back
Top Bottom