While they don't say her ethnicity, this could be one of the first cases of a non-East Asian getting the virus. Guess we'll have to wait and see though.

And this article from RT mentions that six of the 132 Indian crew members aboard the Princess Diamond cruise ship contracted the virus:

I'm guessing there are probably more I haven't noticed, but that means in addition to ethnic Chinese, there have been other East Asians (I've read of at least one Japanese case), South Asians (Indian), and potentially one or more ethnic Russian.

And this article from RT mentions that six of the 132 Indian crew members aboard the Princess Diamond cruise ship contracted the virus:

I'm guessing there are probably more I haven't noticed, but that means in addition to ethnic Chinese, there have been other East Asians (I've read of at least one Japanese case), South Asians (Indian), and potentially one or more ethnic Russian.

There has also been Caucasians both on that cruise ship (afew of the confirmed pensioners were Caucasian American) and in Europe. The super spreader (now cured) in the UK was a Caucasian man aged 51 and called Steve Walsh (he contracted the virus in Singapore).

The virus looks like it can infect anyone but I've heard it said Asians are more susceptible as they have more ACE2 receptors in their lungs that the virus can latch onto.

Home | Journal of Virology › jvi › 2020/01/23
Receptor recognition by novel coronavirus from Wuhan - Journal of Virology - ASM

All these stuff is not like solidly proved science as the situation is in motion but scientists are coming out with all sorts of papers now.

Other confirmed data points

• The virus also infects more men than women.
  • The majority of deaths are over 60. In the over 60s, it's the over 80s that have the majority of deaths.
  • Nearly ALL deaths had a pre existing condition - the top on the list being a pre existing heart condition.

China released all their stats of which I saw a table but can't locate it now - this is what happens when you are looking over many different things!

My friend works as a purchaser and is in contact with many Chinese suppliers on a daily basis. (...) All the factories will be closed till 17.02. The owners have to have special government permission to open it again

Quick update from my friend:

He says that some of the factories indeed started to operate on 17.02, but not all the employees went back to work. Ningbo port is still closed but for example, Shanghai began operations. He managed to organize 3 containers of cargo, they are waiting in the port at the moment and are due to ship on Sunday.

So it looks like everything goes back to normal but slowly. He says that one ship that can take 23000 containers left China last week but only with 2000 containers on board. According to his opinion, everything should operate as normal since March.

Apologies, the source is here Coronavirus Update (Live): 75,305 Cases and 2,012 Deaths from COVID-19 Wuhan China Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

That's the most up-to-date site you'll get on numbers, broken down by country and so forth.

It's worth checking it daily. I check it 3 times a day - morning, afternoon & night.
Yes, there are lots of numbers there. But do they mean anything? I would not trust those numbers.

It is kind of funny though, they have a tally for TV sets sold, and the number is scrolling, so they must have instant access to every TV sale, right?

I think a number of factors have been considered by Russia to make the decision of closing the border for Chinese citizens.

One such factor is that China itself has been toughening the measures at home. For example, just a few days ago China has ruled that everyone returning to Beijing would be required to isolate themselves for 14 days. Also, in Hubei province, sixty-million people have been told to stay at home unless there is an emergency, and the use of private cars has been banned indefinitely.

Another factor is that reportedly one or two Russian citizens got infected on board of Diamond Princess cruise liner in Japan. These reports are a bit confusing, but nonetheless.

Tatiana Golikova, Russian Health Minister who has approved this decision comments as follows (via DeepL):

She says that as soon as China begins to loosen the measures, Russia will follow accordingly.
If we consider that a significant number of 'Russians' have the appearance of asian genes/facial characteristics and that the virus may be genetically aimed at specific genes then the precautions are understandable.
I am not aware of any information that reveals the identities of those who died from the virus. Are they all only Chinese and their descendants? It seems that way.

Yes, there are lots of numbers there. But do they mean anything? I would not trust those numbers.

It is kind of funny though, they have a tally for TV sets sold, and the number is scrolling, so they must have instant access to every TV sale, right?

Apologies HELLOH20, I'm confused, I'm not sure if it's a matter of trust or not.

The numbers are just the official numbers. They are what they are. They are the numbers that get reported daily which have been collated into a single location to make it easier to see the whole official image as it evolves daily. That's pretty much it.

And now there is a massive ‘Mask Hysteria’- with huge shortages being reported in many cities, and theft of boxes of masks. Apparently this article states they’re selling boxes of masks for thousands of US$$ on eBay :umm:

It's pity too see how people's energy is hijacked. With panic, we take uninteresting measure. Mask or not mask, a virus will spread, will infect you. Believing a mask is stronger than a virus, is underestimating virus. What to do is strenghen one's immunity and way of living.

This is not a good sign considering there are no cases in Russia so far. The whole thing is very strange. I wounder, Is it possible if this virus was targeted at Chinese people, that it could mutate into something worse and infect non Chinese and become more lethal??

That's what I have in mind since emerged the possibility of a bioweapon: those who "made" it think they are dealing with their "creature" and assume it will do what they designed it to do, while the "creature" escapes them, as did Frankenstein.

I guess time will tell.

On the Russian First Channel, there was a report about how quite a number of Ukrainians received their fellow citizens that had been declared free of any illness, but came from Wuhan in China. This is an example of panic, although it also shows that the people do not trust the ability of their government to take care of them or be able to protect them. One could also say that the medias have not been able to prevent panic, or was that the goal? The text has been machine translated from Russian.

Evacuated from Chinese Wuhan, Ukrainians in their homeland were met as from a plague barrack
Kirill Kleimenov
Here, a neighboring country. Ukraine. Or rather, what was left of it. And remained for decades a ruthless struggle for European values a bit. Before wags joked: this struggle, she to the last Ukrainian. Now it's clarification: to the last normal person. And end this struggle is already visible without glasses.

Today, the Ukrainians met their compatriots, who arrived from China. The opinions were divided. The most "advanced" lamented that not one plane was hit by a rocket.

More humane to argue and, in turn, offered arrived to travel to the resort. In the Chernobyl area.
The point in dispute has put the security forces in armored personnel carriers. Behind all this madness watched Alena Germanova.

So here it is, the famous Ukrainian hospitality: with a bitter smack of smoke and a risk to the lives of the guests themselves. The warm reception of Ukrainians evacuated from China performed by their fellow countrymen.​
Even the plane did not have time to land at the airport, as the residents of the village of Novye Sanzhary blocked the road to the quarantine place in the sanatorium of the National Guard. Someone even brought agricultural machinery: a tractor against an armored personnel carrier. Protesters promise: no evacuated Ukrainian will set foot on this land.​
Almost fifty Ukrainians on the eve of their Chinese Wuhan flew in high spirits. On the plane with which Kiev pulled to the last, they boarded, rolled up and down in Ukrainian flags. But even the weather seemed to be against them. Because of the fog in Kharkov, they could not sit down right away. After the 35th round I had to fly to Kiev for refueling. And only on the second attempt landed at the Kharkov airport. By that time, all passengers already knew how they were not welcome. Here is what a Ukrainian journalist who flew on this flight to cover Operation Evacuation writes:​
“Passengers and crew are fine. There is no one with temperature. Doctors control everything. Tired of course. No one sleeps for more than a day. The entire crew of the rescue mission is shocked by the protests, as the flight attendant, pilots and doctors are all volunteers, flew to pick up their own, "because Ukraine does not abandon its own." Shame ”.​
And this is still mildly said, if you recall what happened in Ukraine the past two days. The quarantine was kept secret. So everyone started to panic at once. Here in the Lviv region, the hospital was lined with tires. A rumor passed: due to quarantine, the medical facility will be closed for both patients and staff. It is unknown what they feared more - to become infected with a deadly virus or to remain without work.​
- In order not to let the patients bring in the virus. We need work.​
“You are a doctor, how can you ?!”​
- This requires a special hospital!​
Where to organize this very hospital, came up with protesters in the Ternopil region. The Ukrainians evacuated from Wuhan are supposedly the place in Chernobyl.​
“45 people plus medical staff. Do you have nowhere else to lodge them? There are military training grounds. Repair any one hotel in the Chernobyl zone, put them there for 14 days, on this quarantine. You bring them to the sanatorium! Good people, what do you think you are doing ?! ” - the woman is indignant.​
There, in the Ternopil region, people surrounded the local sanatorium in a tight ring. A prayer service was held at night in the pouring rain. They prayed that they would not bring evacuated people to them.
In vain the authorities reassured people all this week: there are no people infected with coronavirus on board, and quarantine is just prevention. The country did not believe in this, nor in the ability of Ukrainian medicine to contain the epidemic.​
- The president, who promised to be with the people, thank you, Vladimir Alexandrovich!
- And I want to say, I also voted for him, and now I am against, everything is against, he has become an even worse infection than the previous ones.
At the beginning of the week, the president of Ukraine himself began to nod at his opponents, saying that they are raising a panic. Vladimir Zelensky stubbornly does not recognize the denseness of his own country, blames political rivals for everything.​
“And about those political“ comrades ”, I want to tell you honestly: if you block roads and slander people, we will bring all our citizens, and we will certainly bring them to our homeland, because it is our responsibility. Constitutional and just human. I personally will bring our citizens to Koncha Zaspa in their mansions, ”said Vladimir Zelensky on February 18.​
Buses with evacuated Ukrainians can hardly reach rich mansions today. Extremists of the banned Right Sector in Russia have already joined the blockade of the road in the village of Novye Sanzhary. But in the social network, one of the Kiev volunteers complains: the wrong Boeing was shot down by a rocket. The allusion, obviously, to the Malaysian that was shot down several years ago in the sky over the Donbass. Among the distraught inhabitants of European Ukraine, fortunately, there was at least a couple of sane​
TV presenter Dmitry Spivak. “It's a shame. For the country, for people and for absolutely mediocre power. No mercy, no compassion, no humanity, no real state approach. Even in a communal apartment, people behave more responsibly and compassionately. In my opinion, the evolution of man began the countdown, and we gradually turn into "ball-like" ones.​
Oleg Voloshin, People's Deputy of the Verkhovna Rada of the Opposition Platform - For Life Party: “All this medieval horror around the evacuated from China obviously proves that there was no mention of a“ revolution of dignity ”. If, God forbid, the epidemic begins in one of the regions, all the others will fence off it without any external interference.​
Just today, the country once again recalls those who died during the so-called "revolution of dignity." “We are different, but we are one,” says a poster behind the Ukrainian Minister of the Interior, who rushed to the Poltava region to reassure people. And here is another manifestation of Ukrainian unity. In the city of Vinniki, doctors and nurses, having learned that after all they do not have a quarantine in their hospital, for joy, they curtailed the protest and sang the hymn together.​

Kirill Kleimenov
While in the air was this report, in Novye Sanzhary security forces still managed to pave the way for a convoy of buses to the resort. But there at the entrance evacuated from Wuhan were met by local people. There are reports that injured two people. To say the least. Sanzharova the carnage erupted.
In the video, one can see a very strong, very well equipped and protected police force, of which some arrived in armoured vehicles, and as we can see from the transcript two people were injured.

China in emergency summit plea for more people-to-people cooperation to contain pandemic.

Asian countries pledge ‘regional solidarity’ with China over coronavirus outbreak
Asian countries pledge ‘regional solidarity’ with China over coronavirus outbreak
1981201-977495635.jpeg

ember states of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) declared their “solidarity” with China and in working to reduce the economic and social impact of the pandemic on the region.

Trump: "Confident China is trying very hard" in handling coronavirus outbreak
U.S. President Donald Trump is confident that China is "trying very hard" in its handling of the coronavirus outbreak, he said in a television interview late on Wednesday.

New coronavirus spreads more like flu than SARS: Chinese study
Scientists in China who studied nose and throat swabs from 18 patients infected with the new coronavirus say it behaves much more like influenza than other closely related viruses, suggesting it may spread even more easily than previously believed.

Quick update from my friend:

He says that some of the factories indeed started to operate on 17.02, but not all the employees went back to work. Ningbo port is still closed but for example, Shanghai began operations. He managed to organize 3 containers of cargo, they are waiting in the port at the moment and are due to ship on Sunday.

China's Hubei, epicentre of coronavirus, extends work suspension to March 11
China's Hubei province on Thursday asked firms not to resume work before March 11 due to the coronavirus outbreak, saying only businesses involved in epidemic prevention and control or necessary public services would be exempt.

China's Wenzhou city to re-open entrances and exits of highways after coronavirus lockdown: government statement
China's Wenzhou city will re-open entrances and exits of highways, and cancel some highway checkpoints to support economic recovery during virus, according to a post on social media from the city government on Thursday.

Vietnam eases border trade restrictions with China to help virus-hit businesses
Vietnam has eased restrictions on cross-border trade with China to prop up economic activities
hit by the new coronavirus, the Ministry of Industry and Trade said on Thursday.

Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe was coming under heavy criticism for quarantining the Diamond Princess cruise ship but it seems - released data from a Japanese Research Institute backed the strategy to contain the virus. In reports, what I found interesting, a London Mayoral candidate had suggested - London could host the 2020 Olympics if Japan wasn't able to handle it?

With stricken cruise ship, Japan draws criticism over coronavirus response
As the virus-stricken Diamond Princess cruise ship is evacuated, Japan faces deepening criticism over its response to the outbreak,
tarnishing what was supposed to be a triumphant Olympic year for Prime Minister Shinzo Abe.

First batch of Diamond Princess passengers arrive in Hong Kong to face further quarantine

More than 100 Hong Kong residents who were quarantined on the Diamond Princess cruise in Japan for over two weeks landed on Thursday morning in the Asian financial hub, where they will face a further 14 days of quarantine.

Japanese data on cruise ship coronavirus infections backs quarantine strategy
Newly released data from a Japanese research institute appears to back the government's case that its quarantine strategy for the Diamond Princess cruise ship was successful in stemming contagion of the coronavirus among passengers.

London can host 2020 Games if moved over coronavirus - mayor candidate
London would be ready to host the 2020 Olympics if the outbreak of the coronavirus forced the Games to be moved from Tokyo,
Shaun Bailey, the Conservative candidate for mayor of the British capital, has said.

I just hope that Japan will be able to do the Olympics. Imagine if for Coronavirus the games would not be able to be, what a shock for the country. Not just for a money question, and that is a lot, but fo the pride to receive this event so important for Japan and Japanese.

Back
Top Bottom