Crackslaw

Beau

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
Crackslaw, so named because of its addictive deliciousness, is something that I had heard about somewhat recently. It's various recipes online are a little different from what I use, but it's basically a take off of a Polish/Eastern European cooked cabbage dish. Here is my spin on it. Used as a side dish, this recipe can feed 10-12 people.

Ingredients:

Bacon - I use about 10-12 strips
Whole head green cabbage cut into strips
1 large Vidalia onion or 2 medium, diced
Salt
Pepper
Garlic Granules
Fresh Garlic
Coconut aminos
Red Wine Vinegar
Olive Oil

Preparation:

Cut the bacon up into little chunks and start frying them. I use a dutch oven on the stove on about medium heat. While it's cooking I start cutting the head of cabbage into thin strips. I like to cut them long and slender like a noodle. A tip on cutting the cabbage, I like to cut the head in half and remove the hard inner core and then slice the softer outside into strips.

Once the bacon is fully cooked, add the diced onion and let it cook with the bacon for about 5 minutes or so. You can caramelize them if you want, but don't do that myself. Add fresh minced garlic and let it sizzle for a few minutes to get the flavor out. Then add 4 or 5 glugs of olive oil or whatever oil you prefer. I've even just used bacon fat, but you want to add some oil no matter what you use. Now you're ready to start adding the cabbage. I usually add a few handfuls, then stir it up and let it cook down. Once the first batch has cooked down, you can add the next batch. Repeat until all cabbage has been added and it's all cooked down.

Next add your seasonings. I just use salt, pepper, and garlic. I don't measure, just kinda go by instinct and taste testing. Also add your coconut aminos and vinegar. I don't really measure but I'd say I use about a half a cup of vinegar and 7 or 8 tablespoons of coconut aminos. If you've never heard of coconut aminos, it's a soy-sauce alternative that gives dishes a bit of an Asian flavor. Once all ingredients have been added and cabbage has cooked down, you can turn down the heat to medium-low and let it simmer for another 5-10 minutes to let the flavors intermingle while periodically taste-testing the cabbage. Some people like their cabbage crunchy, but I tend to think that defeats the purpose of cooking the cabbage, so I cook it until it's soft and doesn't crunch when biting.

That's all. There's a lot of things you can add to this recipe. I've added other meats for a more bulky dish. If you add enough meat it could be a main dish for dinner instead of a side. And of course you can play around with different seasonings too, like adding ground beef and cumin for a bit of a kick or chopped chicken and garam masala for a more Indian flavor. It's pretty versatile and it's quite an easy preparation. It's also really good!!

Thank you Heimdallr for sharing this recipe, it sounds easy to make and I bet it will taste great... I'm going to try it as soon as possible. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Heimdallr said:
That's all. There's a lot of things you can add to this recipe. I've added other meats for a more bulky dish. If you add enough meat it could be a main dish for dinner instead of a side. And of course you can play around with different seasonings too, like adding ground beef and cumin for a bit of a kick or chopped chicken and garam masala for a more Indian flavor. It's pretty versatile and it's quite an easy preparation. It's also really good!!

Sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing. No coconut aminos here, but will try it with cumin.

Yes, it looks delicious, thank you for sharing this recipe Heimdallr, I did not know of coconut amino , thanks for the link. :flowers:

:thup: :dance:

Keit said:
Sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing. No coconut aminos here, but will try it with cumin.

I've made it without the aminos, and it's still really tasty!

Another crackslaw!

core a cabbage, cut in chunks, toss in chopper/processor and chop until very fine.

Do the same with five peeled carrots

Same with 3 medium onions

Two cups of sweet pickle relish.
Since I make my own bread and butter pickles, I just toss a liter of them in the processor and pulse a few times. I drain off about half the juice but use the rest in the slaw.

Put everything in a bowl together along with maybe two cups of home-made mayo, salt, pepper, 1/4 cup of honey and toss until well mixed.

Eat.

Awesome recipe. We have actually made something similar to this without using lemon juice instead of vinegar or aminos. Bacon seems to really bring out the flavour of the cabbage. Will try this one soon enough and would like to get hold of some aminos this time. We usually cook it as a main dish though because it really is too tasty to just have as a side dish :P

Been really enjoying making crackslaw here as well, thanks guys for the recipe :cool2:

So far been keeping it simple, the seasonings we use are salt, pepper, garlic, and onion. In a large pan we fry up red cabbage with butter and bacon grease - then add bacon. Since getting off potatoes and other harmful side dishes, this has proven to be straight from the halls of awesome. Carrot sounds interesting and tasty, just might have to give it a whirl.

I wanted to add to my last comment that when I was trying out Braggs brand amino stuff I had dramatic reactions that were not at first apparent. I rapidly starting gaining weight and had large amount of inflammation in my joints. It took me about a month before I traced it back.

Coconut Aminos are different then Braggs Aminos. From what I understand Coconut Aminos do not have any excitotoxins. Please correct me if I am wrong. CA is a really great alternative to soy sauce.

_http://www.coconutsecret.com/new_site/coconut-aminos.html

Rhiannon said:
Coconut Aminos are different then Braggs Aminos. From what I understand Coconut Aminos do not have any excitotoxins. Please correct me if I am wrong. CA is a really great alternative to soy sauce.

That's what I thought. What's in it that is full of excitotoxins?

Make sure to cook the bacon until it is extremely crispy (just shy of burnt). The bacon crust left in the pan provides much of the flavor for the cabbage. I remove the bacon when the cabbage is added so it stays crispy - if it cooks with the cabbage it tends to soften. Another burst of flavor comes from the salt which I continue to add liberally as it cooks down. Cabbage can absorb a ton of salt and fat so it's a perfect keto dish. My version of crack slaw is just bacon, cabbage, salt and extra lard or bacon fat. It sounds overly simple but I think there is something about the combo that hits the right notes.

Heimdallr said:
Rhiannon said:

That's what I thought. What's in it that is full of excitotoxins?
Salt variants of proteins:
The focus of excitotoxins, as dangerous and damaging, is on products that concentrate these amino acids and their 'salt' variants...

The level of concentration and/or frequency of dosage/usage of these compounds would seem to be very important in determining if they would have a deleterious effect. It is obvious that completely eliminating glutamine, glutamic acid, aspartic acid (amino acids) is not possible and not even advisable. But the excessive ingestion of high concentrations of the artificially produced variants may be dangerous and seriously damaging to human health and well being. A simplistic example of the effect of concentration can be illustrated by the importance of oxygen to all living things. In the concentrations available in a clean atmosphere and the normal cellular environment, the vast majority of living organisms rely on oxygen for cell biology. But in high concentrations oxygen ceases to be beneficial and actually can cause cell damage and eventual death. This example of "beneficial to dangerous" is played out in hundreds of other areas with hundreds of other compounds and seems to hold true with amino acids and 'excitotoxins' as well.
from this link _https://bragg.com/healthinfo/excitotoxins.html on the Braggs website, actually.

So it may be OK but I'm suspicious of it.

Back
Top Bottom