Crazy storm weather around the world

Mari

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Update from Germany:

Tornado strikes German town, causing heavy damage​

56 minutes ago

BERLIN (AP) — A tornado hit the western German town of Lippstadt causing heavy damage, officials said, as large parts of the country remained on storm alert Friday.

The regional fire service said all available rescuers were being deployed to Lippstadt. Videos posted on social media showed large amounts of debris flying through the air, but there were no immediate reports of injuries.
“The entire town area (...) suffered heavy damage,” the fire service said.

Meteorologists had warned that heavy rainfall and hail were expected in parts of the west and center of the country Friday, with storms producing wind speeds of up to 130 kph (81 mph).

The warnings came after storms disrupted traffic, uprooted trees that toppled onto rail tracks and roads, and flooded hundreds of basements in western Germany on Thursday.

Police said two French nationals died after their motorized paraglider was caught by a strong gust of wind shortly after taking off Thursday from an airfield in Ballenstedt, about 175 kilometers (more than 100 miles) southwest of Berlin. Police in Saxony-Anhalt state said the pair, both 59, were urged to land because of a forecast for an abrupt change in the weather.

Shortly after the warning, “they appear to have been hit by a gust of wind that caused the paraglider to collapse, and the air vehicle crashed onto a field from a height of about 40 meters (131 feet),” police said.

Here is one video

And apparently this one as well:

Edit:
Found another video

Last edited:

unkl brws

Jedi Council Member

Ontario storm leaves six dead and tens of thousands without power​

I was in the middle of this yesterday but luckily didn't experience any of the damage that other places around me did. The weird thing about it was that it was stated by the weather reports as a normal thunderstorm coming through but, out of nowhere it turned VERY ugly with extremely high winds lasting only a few minutes.
Ontario storm leaves six dead and tens of thousands without power

Laurentien2

The Living Force
FOTCM Member

Ontario storm leaves six dead and tens of thousands without power​

I was in the middle of this yesterday but luckily didn't experience any of the damage that other places around me did. The weird thing about it was that it was stated by the weather reports as a normal thunderstorm coming through but, out of nowhere it turned VERY ugly with extremely high winds lasting only a few minutes.
Ontario storm leaves six dead and tens of thousands without power

We got it here as well in the Laurentian in Quebec. Never experienced such a thunder storm, the sound of thunder was none stop for a good half hour. No damage on my street, lost electricity for 20 hours so we had a for taste of what may come and it give us the opportunity to check if the generatrice and other preparation worked.

Gonzo

The Living Force
We got it here as well in the Laurentian in Quebec. Never experienced such a thunder storm, the sound of thunder was none stop for a good half hour. No damage on my street, lost electricity for 20 hours so we had a for taste of what may come and it give us the opportunity to check if the generatrice and other preparation worked.
Hi @Laurentien2, I was thinking about you as the storm was whipping through here in Ottawa last night. I was hoping you didn't get hit too hard in the hills.

We lost a lot of trees in the city and still have 170k customers without power. I have never seen so many simultaneous lightening strikes before, and the wind was so strong, it almost ripped the front storm door from the house. Somehow our property was spared though and we didn't lose a single tree, let alone electricity. Friend in the country lost a huge swath of forest, including a significant part of the black walnut forest he planted decades ago. Strange days.

Here's what's on the Ottawa Hydro site, 24 hours after the storm:

OttawaOutageAlert.png
OttawaOutageMap.png

c.a.

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
The powerful #supercell
There was a strong and powerful front (from the south) that blew through here with wind speeds that seemed like 50km an hour. Thankfully it ended quickly while moving north of this location.
I swear that the home crystals have continued to be advantageous to this area with protection.
TYVM! 🍀

Nearly 36,000 lightning discharges since the start of the deterioration at the end of the day yesterday Sunday. We can distinguish the imprint of the supercells, of which the most massive born in #DeuxSèvres which persisted until #Bourgogne . #orages

#Orages accompanied by #grêlons sometimes very impressive last night on the center-west.

Pierre

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
"A user, who wishes to remain anonymous, told me that the roof was pierced by hailstones of 9-10 cm (4 inches) on average (12 cm at the peak - 5 inches) in Poitiers and Chauvigny in France. Incredible."

"The end of the heat period is painful. Hailstones exceeding the size of a petanque ball fell in Deux-Sevres. Feedback on crops and agricultural buildings? Photo: ML Kriss Gémeaux in Fontenay-Rohan-Rohan"

"We can clearly see on the sat image this very virulent supercell storm which passed near Niort and which is moving towards Poitiers. We can clearly see the signature of a summit penetrating the tropopause. Sign of the most violent storms."

Last edited:

Laurentien2

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Hi @Laurentien2, I was thinking about you as the storm was whipping through here in Ottawa last night. I was hoping you didn't get hit too hard in the hills.

I think we were lucky, I just checked how Maat was doing in Val-David and they are still without electricity. No damage at her house and they have a generator so they can still keep the refrigerator cold and use the BBQ to prepare meals. There was twister reported all around, the damage on the electrical grid is major, it may take up to a week and more to repair. My wife just called an employee who live in Mt-Tremblant in the old village and hundreds of trees are down, road close, power line laying on the ground and a house was flatten by 3 trees that felt on it. I went in the forest for a short walk with my dog and everywhere up-rooted tree are seen. Yesterday was the crazy run for the population to buy petrol, there was line of vehicle were garage were open and policeman had to be present to control the unprepared population. I have reserve of petrol for a couple of weeks for running my generator to keep my freezers cold, that give us time to transform the meat we have. I have close to a 100 masson jars ready just in case. Yes that storm will hopefully make people realise how quickly our life can be turned upside down and unprepared they are. Just imagine this happening in winter and most houses without a proper alternative and efficient heating system.

unkl brws

Jedi Council Member
The Paroisse Saint-Hugues in Sarsfield was significantly damaged by the storm.
The death toll from the storm is now at nine people.
1653321852562.png

c.a.

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Just insane and extreme weather patterns! Hail and lighting rains king in the north and central positions of the country.

Storm tonight in Châteauroux...

[Timelapse] Very active cell (sustained electrical activity and intense rain) which made the Cholet (49) / Le Mans (72) axis. Shooting from the Antoigné wind farm (49) @KeraunosObs @Estofex @meteociel @lachainemeteo @MeteoPDLL

Ocean air pushes warm air out. This Tuesday, it will be cooler than normal over 3/4 of France, a first since the beginning of April! http://meteo-express.com/previsions

Germany

Line-1
In addition to #Hagel brought the #Gewitterzellen partly also intense #Regen . Within 30 minutes, for example, around 30 mm of precipitation fell in #Luzern . ^ng/buc
Line-2
Here is the impressive #SRFMeteoVideo from #Luzern by A. Münchow. ^ng Sarina Nezhadian)

Mari

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Large A fierce hailstorm fell on Varaždin, Croatia, the ice was the size of a walnut, the streets were flooded

tuča varaždin
The region was flooded by fierce hail, sometimes the size of an average walnut .

It rained hail for at least 10, and maybe 20 minutes. Havy damage on agricultural and small family farms.

More videos on link above.

At the same time, in Sisak, Croatia, a heavy storm hit with a hail and a tornado!!!

More videos and pictures on link above.

Here is article in english that pretty much coveres all above:

Severe storms cause massive damage in northern Croatia

Along with millions of Kuna in damages to crops and companies, citizens from the eastern part of Varaždin County also saw the homes and cars destroyed by the hail storm that showered the region with walnut-sized balls of ice.

Northern Croatia was hit by a severe storm on Wednesday night, with hail destroying almost half of Croatia's total flower production. Family homes saw massive damage to roof-tops as the hail smashed through roof tiles, while cars were left with broken windshields and pock marks the size of golf balls. The hardest hit area was the eastern part of Varaždin County. Varaždin County Prefect Anđelko Stričak and Agriculture Minister Marija Vučković visited the area today.

"When you see all of these greenhouses, it's lucky that no one was in them when the storm hit, because had there been, today we'd be talking about how many people were injured and possibly even killed," Stričak said.

For her part the Agriculture Minister promised that government would help those affected by the storm: "We have a large measure for the reconstruction of this kind of production potential, and we will help people. We need to openly communicate the specifics of the challenge we all face, which is to enable them to resume work in a very short period of time, given the specifics of this kind of production."

Hail also ravaged the municipality of Hum na Sutli in Krapina-Zagorje County, damaging roofs, solar panels, crops and cars. The municipality has called for the County Prefect to declare a state of natural disaster. Municipal head Mario Antonić: "It all happened within a minute or two, it battered dozens of cars, destroyed numerous roofs, solar panels, the cars parks of the big companies here - such as OMCO and Vetropak, crops and fruit orchards have been destroyed. Simply put, this is a catastrophe."

A storm hit the Sisak area last night. The settlements of Greda, Sela and Odra Sisačka suffered the most, where hail caused damage to houses and farm buildings, and strong winds uprooted several trees. Miroslav Golub from the Sisak Fire Department: "48 firefighter and eleven trucks were dispatched to more than 30 locations. Within ten minutes of the tornado they were helping their fellow citizens remove debris and covering damaged houses and buildings with tarps."

Source: HRT

Mari

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Another storm in north and east Croatia:

May 28, 2022 - Last night, a major storm in northern Croatia affected the areas of Varaždin, Čakovec, and Koprivnica, tearing down trees, public lighting, and flooding streets. The inhabitants of Varaždin, informed in advance, parked their cars in underground garages.

…In Koprivnica, 16 liters of rain per square meter fell, and in some villages, such as Torčec, even more.

More videos here; I’m sorry I cannot add them here

c.a.

The Living Force
FOTCM Member

Attached is a time lapse of the well-condensed funnel cloud this afternoon in the district of Fürstenfeldbruck. The funnel cloud was visible for more than five minutes and was almost stationary during this time

Wind shear can be a storm's best friend or worst enemy

By Jessica Storm, AccuWeather Meteorologist & Jesse Ferrell, AccuWeather meteorologist
Snip:
It's a term frequently mentioned by meteorologists, but the phenomenon can have radically different effects depending on the type of storm it influences.

One of the staple terms meteorologists mention frequently when discussing the possibility for tropical development is wind shear. But what is wind shear? And what does it have to do with tropical cyclones and other weather patterns?

Simply put, wind shear is the change in direction and speed of winds throughout the various levels of the atmosphere.

Understanding how wind shear influences weather patterns is somewhat complex as there are multiple types of wind shear and because it can be a factor over the ocean as well as overland.

Wind shear in tropical storms

When issuing forecasts for the tropical Atlantic, forecasters typically examine vertical wind shear, which is the change in winds at increasing heights in the atmosphere. Generally, strong vertical wind shear is bad news for tropical storms and hurricanes.

"Vertical wind shear is the most influential factor as far as tropical cyclones are concerned," AccuWeather Senior Meteorologist Alex Sosnowski said.
windshear-big.gif

Tropical systems and hurricanes grow by becoming vertically stacked. "It can be helpful to visualize a stack of pancakes," AccuWeather Meteorologist Alex DaSilva explained. When winds vary in speed and direction at the bottom of the atmosphere compared to higher levels of the atmosphere, the top of a tropical system can be pushed and tilted away from its base, causing it to become lopsided. If a mature hurricane is in place, it may weaken but will not necessarily dissipate.

Last edited:
Top Bottom