Crop Circle On Ice?

Vulcan59

SuperModerator
FOTCM Member
While searching for news, I came across this blog. It goes on to describe the pattern (image below) formed on ice after a witness reported seeing some mysterious lights. The newspaper article is in Norwegian (I think). Anyone care to do some translation?

_G-Tittel-kornsirk_1223867x.jpg

The centers of the circles look a lot like the electrical discharge pattern on the left (below) from what I can see:

AnodePositiveSink-E_Sink_Source-355x212.jpg

More evidence of the earth "opening up"?

The article is saying that the patterns have probably formed because of the shifting weather. The shift between defrosting and frost, that the sea currents have probably caused the ice to get thinner on one place and that the snow has put pressure on the ice around or the shift between the high tide and low tide, making the water come through the holes creating circular patterns like if you throw a rock into water.

JEEP said:
The centers of the circles look a lot like the electrical discharge pattern on the left (below) from what I can see:

Hi JEEP,
It's a pity there were no aerial shots. :(

the_hammer said:
The article is saying that the patterns have probably formed because of the shifting weather. The shift between defrosting and frost, that the sea currents have probably caused the ice to get thinner on one place and that the snow has put pressure on the ice around or the shift between the high tide and low tide, making the water come through the holes creating circular patterns like if you throw a rock into water.

Hi the_hammer,

Thanks but what about that strange lights reported by the 77 year old? There is a phenomenon called ice circles and there are some great pictures of them on the web. In this case however, I was intrigued by the reports of mysterious lights followed by the appearance of the patterns on the ice as opposed to the ice circle phenomenon.

I've seen something very closely resembling the left figure lately (since the start of my psychosis), when closing my eyes, like a dark sun with strong electronic emissions. Also, I've seen the right one a few times, but not as often. My personal, most likely very off, guess would be that the left one represents contraction while the right one represents expansion.

I haven't to my knowledge been looking at any light sources at those times either, which could explain seeing them.

About those electrical discharge patterns...

I used to have a polaroid camera. One photo I took with it came out with something exactly like that left hand pattern on it, superimposed on the corner of the otherwise normal image.. the pattern was pure, bright yellow, which was the thing I found weirdest at the time! Can't find any examples of similar polaroid shots..

I guess the camera was developing a fault, because the last few shots I took with it came out with brown splotchy shapes around the edges, very similar to this broken polaroid shot: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3035/2653374391_abb34be5a6.jpg - except with the object of the photo clearly visible in the centre..

I've lost those photos and not sure if I still have that camera, I'll have to try dig it out. (sorry for heading a bit away from the topic of the patterns in ice)

Sorry Vulcan! I didn't read the other stories linked to this article. :-[ The article mentioning the 77 year old can be found here:

-http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/iriks/article3552964.ece

The article says that on Friday evening Ole Johan Hansen saw a mysterious light in Arnavågen in Bergen. The next morning a beautiful and unexplained pattern had appeared exactely where he saw the lights.

He didn't think the ice was safe, so he took out his binoculars and had a look over the lake, but couldn't see anyone. The light that he spotted was about two meters long and didn't look like anything he had seen before.

During the night a symmetrical pattern had appeared on the ice. The pattern comes from eight holes on the ice. According to Hansen, the rings measures about 50 meters towards northeast and 300 meters in the other direction.

A meterologist admits that he was thinking of something supernatural when he saw the pictures, since they resembled crop circles.

John Halvor Sæle thinks the rings could be created by a meteorite, since they are too far from land to be manmade.

Astrophysicist Knut Jørgen Røed Ødegaard confirms that this pattern could have been created by a small meteorite. He thinks this is unlikely though, since a meteorite would have been spotted by more people and would have appeared as a glowing stripe on the sky before ending up in Arna.
He also says that the light couldn't have come from a meteorite, since a meteorite which lights up on impact would have had the power of 1000 nuclear bombs in which case Bergen wouldn't have existed today.

The article also mentions the light could have appeared from ice fishermen, but there aren't any tracks in the snow and also that the light could have come from street lights from the other side of the lake, but there wasn't any light the following evening.

The comment which stands out the most is from Ødegaard. He says that he thinks the pattern appeared from ice fishing and that the concentric pattern appeared from the tides. He says that it isn't unusual even though they never get to be as symmetrical as this one.

Edit: Sorry it's in third person. As a Dane I can understand Norwegian, but I can't translating it word for word.

Hi the_hammer,

Thanks for the translation. Well, I'll be on the look out for more of these type of reports and then maybe we can come to some sort of hypothesis to explain this phenomenon. :)

Are there any more pictures of this formation other than the one posted above? Because judging from the way it looks, it resembles a naturally occurring formation rather than a crop circle. If that is the case, maybe the person who saw lights is saying it for attention purposes?

Hello,

Seems like lot of mysterious ice circles show up all around the world, if we exclude circles made by power of wind and implanted dirt or stones (pebbles) on the ice or morphology of iced terrain, than we have pretty strange occurrences like circles on lake Baikal. Astronauts aboard the International Space Station noticed two mysterious dark circles in the ice of Russia's Lake Baikal in April 2009. Though the cause is more likely aqueous than alien, some aspects of the odd blemishes defy explanation.

The two circles are the focal points for ice break-up and may be caused by upwelling of warmer water in the lake or Methane gas rising from the lake floor, but experiments and measurements did not suport these theories. The dark color of the circles is due to thinning of the ice, which usually hangs around into June. Upwelling wouldn’t be strange in some relatively shallow areas of the lake where hydrothermal activity has been detected, such as where the circle near the center of the lake (picture with single circle) is located. Circles have been seen in that area before in 1985 and 1994, though they weren’t nearly as pronounced. But the location of the circle near the southern tip of the lake (2x) where water is relatively deep and cold is puzzling.

The lake itself is an oddity. It is the largest by volume and the deepest (5370 feet at its deepest point), as well as one of the oldest at around 25 million years. The photo above was taken by an astronaut from the ISS. The photo below was taken by NASA’s MODIS satellite instrument.

More photos of ice circles on: http://englishrussia.com/index.php/2008/06/10/the-round-ice/ or http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=38721

Attachments

• 1 BAIKAL ICE CIRCLE PIC FROM SPACE.jpg
    1 BAIKAL ICE CIRCLE PIC FROM SPACE.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 333
  • 1baikal ice circles copy.jpg
    1baikal ice circles copy.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 3
I doubt if it's caused by any of our friends who visit from time to time, looks like a natural phenomena to me. I've seen similar patterns form on muddle creek and dam beds which still contain a small amount of water.
As the water simultaneously evaporates in the sun and soaks into the mud it leaves these sorts of patterns. I don't know how it happens exactly (in scientific terms) but I certainly have seen it occur. :huh:

Zorpho said:
I doubt if it's caused by any of our friends who visit from time to time, looks like a natural phenomena to me. I've seen similar patterns form on muddle creek and dam beds which still contain a small amount of water.
As the water simultaneously evaporates in the sun and soaks into the mud it leaves these sorts of patterns. I don't know how it happens exactly (in scientific terms) but I certainly have seen it occur. :huh:

Hi Zorpho,

Be careful when you read anything. The ice circles are a known phenomenon although it's not sure how they are formed. The "crop ice circle" which is mentioned in the first post, maybe something else or are they the same as ice-circles? :huh:

Recently in the Netherlands (in Schijndel) snow circles were discovered, or patterns in snow:

from the site: _http://www.dcca.nl/new.htm

A mysterious circle one ice appeared at 'The Netherlands Open Air Museum'. The employees of the museum have no idea what causes the circles. They don't think that it is no joke.

As I first read it, open air museum did sound suspicious to me. And one of the crop circle that was created as commercial some years back in the Netherlands came to my mind.

sneeuwcirkels_2288492a.JPG

A circle in snow with a diameter of 30 meters appeared in the night of februari 3-4 at a pond. The owner of the pond said there were no foot steps, the one at the picture are from his grand children who wanted to have a better look at the circle. Sjaak Damen of the DDCA was allowed to do some research but the owner don't want any publicity.

Robert Boerman - DCCA

schijndel1.jpg

schijndel2.jpg

schijndel3.jpg

Great pics, the bottom one looks like variation in melt due to soil height on row furrows on crop land.
Does anyone else have an opinion on the lights seen by the 77yo with the original story are maybe due to ground arcs from lightening activity?, as this seems plausible to me.

There's a guy who says, that he does them by himself, and it takes him hours.
Are aliens giving up cornfields for cold, mountain air?

Nope. Turns out these incredibly awesome snow designs are the work of decidedly human artist Simon Beck, who takes the concept of a crop circle to new heights by strapping on a pair snowshoes and getting to work.

"They are made by a kind of reverse orienteering," he explains on his Yahoo! Groups page. "The main lines and points are surveyed using a sighting compass (as used for surveying orienteering maps), with distance either by pace counting or string."

It can take Beck hours of trudging around in the snow to create his masterpieces, which can run the size of a soccer field. Why go to the trouble?

"The main reason for making them was because I can no longer run properly due to problems with my feet, so plodding about on level snow is the least painful way of getting exercise," he says. "Gradually the reason has become photographing them, and I am considering buying a better camera."
Source: _http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/unplugged/crop-circle-snow-art-exceptionally-cool-231826779.html;_ylt=Am1kPoyWVX5fR4FQhPcg5iq1qHQA;_ylu=X3oDMTFvMzJmdmhsBG1pdANIQ01PTCBvbiBBcnRpY2xlBHBrZwNpZC0xODgwNzIzBHB

Back
Top Bottom