Dads dog Benji has been diagnosed with Lymphoma

Thebull

Dagobah Resident
FOTCM Member
Today my Dads 10 month old collie has been diagnosed with Lymphona. It's come as quite a shock and my parents are upset. Though I'm aware of the effects on people and what can be done. I've only started reading up on it for dogs and it doesn't look good for poor Benji.

We don't want to give him chemo and my parents can't afford that as Benji isn't insured. The vets going to come back with an alternative as he only got diagnosed today. Really though there doesn't look like many alternatives. I would like to ask if anyone has had their pets go through this and what we may expect?

I will do more reading in the meantime but any help or advice would be appreciated. My initial thought was vitiman C but I don't no the effect on animals. I have absorbic acid and thought about sprinkling it on his food again I need to find out if it would be safe before I do anything. Thanks for listening I've found the news quite upsetting.

Just a quick note I've just found the other threads that have mentioned Lymphoma here.
 

Nancy2feathers

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
Thebull said:
Today my Dads 10 month old collie has been diagnosed with Lymphona. It's come as quite a shock and my parents are upset. Though I'm aware of the effects on people and what can be done. I've only started reading up on it for dogs and it doesn't look good for poor Benji.

We don't want to give him chemo and my parents can't afford that as Benji isn't insured. The vets going to come back with an alternative as he only got diagnosed today. Really though there doesn't look like many alternatives. I would like to ask if anyone has had their pets go through this and what we may expect?

I will do more reading in the meantime but any help or advice would be appreciated. My initial thought was vitiman C but I don't no the effect on animals. I have absorbic acid and thought about sprinkling it on his food again I need to find out if it would be safe before I do anything. Thanks for listening I've found the news quite upsetting.

Just a quick note I've just found the other threads that have mentioned Lymphoma here.
Hi Thebull. So sorry that your family is going through this with their beloved Benji.

A few years ago my sweet Sadie Girl (Border Collie mix that my son and I rescued) was diagnosed with lymphoma. The first sign was the inability to focus with her eyesight. She was squinting a lot like her eyes hurt. There was also a loss of appetite and she started to lose weight. After about a week of noticing the symptoms, I took her to the Vet for some tests and she was diagnosed with lymphoma. An appointment was made the next day for her to receive an IV of Vit C and a second one a couple days after that. There was no change in her blood work and Sadie Girl was spiraling down at a fast rate. I called my son to come home to help me with Sadie since she was also his companion. It was an around the clock ordeal taking care of Sadie giving her comfort. It was truly a heartbreaking experience. I would say within 3 weeks of her diagnosis Sadie had deteriorated to the point where there was no quality of life. My son and I decided, as hard as it was, that we would take Sadie to the vet to be put down. We knew we had to do this for her and end her suffering. She was not going to get better. We had a small burial ceremony in our garden to celebrate Sadie Girl's life. She gave us so much love. I still miss her.

It's a horrific disease and again, I'm so sorry you and your parents are going through this, Thebull. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
 

3DStudent

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I don't have anything to add but I just wanted to say I'm sorry to hear this Thebull. Hang in there. :hug:
 

Thebull

Dagobah Resident
FOTCM Member
3D Student said:
I don't have anything to add but I just wanted to say I'm sorry to hear this Thebull. Hang in there. :hug:
The vet has given Benji a month to live though my parents have said you wouldn't necessarily know anything was currently wrong with him. They have decided to give him the best love and care they can and when he deteriates and has no quality of life left they'll ask the vet to put him to sleep. Very tough for them but they will know when it's time.
 

Keit

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
Thebull said:
The vet has given Benji a month to live though my parents have said you wouldn't necessarily know anything was currently wrong with him. They have decided to give him the best love and care they can and when he deteriates and has no quality of life left they'll ask the vet to put him to sleep. Very tough for them but they will know when it's time.
Big hug to your parents and Benji. :hug2: Wish for the rest of his life to be as comfortable and pain free as possible. Here are two articles by Dr. Karen Becker that talk about supportive and alternative therapies for dogs with cancer. Maybe it will be useful.

Complementary Therapy Soothes Your Dog that has Cancer – and Helps Her Live Longer Too

Using Alternative Therapies to Fight Cancer
 

Thebull

Dagobah Resident
FOTCM Member
Keit said:
Thebull said:
The vet has given Benji a month to live though my parents have said you wouldn't necessarily know anything was currently wrong with him. They have decided to give him the best love and care they can and when he deteriates and has no quality of life left they'll ask the vet to put him to sleep. Very tough for them but they will know when it's time.
Big hug to your parents and Benji. :hug2: Wish for the rest of his life to be as comfortable and pain free as possible. Here are two articles by Dr. Karen Becker that talk about supportive and alternative therapies for dogs with cancer. Maybe it will be useful.

Complementary Therapy Soothes Your Dog that has Cancer – and Helps Her Live Longer Too

Using Alternative Therapies to Fight Cancer
It's pretty difficult as even if they had the money to buy the chemotherapy to treat Benji i'm not sure they would. he's not insured so that option is off the table. I still haven't found a good source for treatment of this disease on Dogs and I have looked . I have suggested certain things to them and they are pleased I care I think. I'm not confident enough to suggest things I may try out myself as I haven't got a source to refer to. I also don't want them to think I'm off the wall as that's happened before.

Benji is a beautiful soul and it's been good for them having him around. He's not a house dog either, but he is loved and that's what's matters. They also have Bess, Benji!s mother. She's also a gorgeous temperament and a working dog.

Cancer seems to have been a big part of my wife's and i's families over the last 10 years. Now even the young dog. I'm not sure if there's a message or not here. Sometimes I can get wound up about cancer.
 

PhoenixToEmber

Jedi Council Member
Really sorry to hear this, Thebull. My family recently lost one of our cats in May and I don't think it ever gets easier, no matter how many pets you have throughout your life. I'm not knowledgeable enough on lymphoma to give any medical advice regarding Vitamin C or anything else; I guess just try and be there for Benji (and your parents) as much as possible - if it's going to be the end, make it the most comfortable and happy ending for him. :hug2:
 

Deckard

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
How was he diagnosed biopsy or blood test marker?
I am not sure where you are located but I would suggest to try finding qualified TCVM practitioner. Your dad's dog is practically a puppy so there is much hope.
I have an ongoing lymphoma case, much older which is responding very well to acupuncture and Chinese herbal formula, however still too early for definite conclusions.
On this page you can find practitioner close to you, minimum you should go for is CVA ideally both CVA and CVCH.
https://www.tcvm.com/Resources/FindaTCVMPractitioner.aspx
 

Thebull

Dagobah Resident
FOTCM Member
Z said:
How was he diagnosed biopsy or blood test marker?
I am not sure where you are located but I would suggest to try finding qualified TCVM practitioner. Your dad's dog is practically a puppy so there is much hope.
I have an ongoing lymphoma case, much older which is responding very well to acupuncture and Chinese herbal formula, however still too early for definite conclusions.
On this page you can find practitioner close to you, minimum you should go for is CVA ideally both CVA and CVCH.
https://www.tcvm.com/Resources/FindaTCVMPractitioner.aspx
He had a biopsy. I'll have a look at that. We're located in the Uk thanks for the advice Z.
 

Thebull

Dagobah Resident
FOTCM Member
I've emailed around from sone details I found on the net and l found a homeopathic vet. I called him and discussed Benji's condition. He told me he didn't think acupuncture would be of any benefit. He also said sometimes steroids can be effective on treating this for a period of time. Though he said that is usually in conjunction with chemo. He said he'd never treated lymphoma and was shocked he was such a young dog. I took all the details and I said I would pass on the options to my parents.

I thought his prices were reasonable and imo there's nothing to lose. I've advised my Dad and Mum and their going to have a think what they want to do. It is not my decision and I have been as considerate as possible so they can make their own descision on how to proceed. I will meditate and have Benji in my thoughts. I do not wish him to suffer and it sounded like he had a bit of an episode today.

I love life All though most of the time it's pretty hideous. As I look at my own dogs I feel incredible love and I can't help thinking how short this life is. I wish we all could make the most of the time that we have.
 

Deckard

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Thebull said:
I've emailed around from sone details I found on the net and l found a homeopathic vet. I called him and discussed Benji's condition. He told me he didn't think acupuncture would be of any benefit. He also said sometimes steroids can be effective on treating this for a period of time.
Well if he has no experience with it how can he say something like that. On the other hand I have been using homeopathy for years and I never saw any effect on aggressive cancers. Acupuncture combine with Chinese herbs has amazing track record in treatment of various forms of canine cancer. But you have to find proficient TCVM practitioner.
Have a look at this paper
http://integrativeveterinarycenter.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/CancerTreatment_Chinese-Herbs.pdf
 

Thebull

Dagobah Resident
FOTCM Member
Z said:
Thebull said:
I've emailed around from sone details I found on the net and l found a homeopathic vet. I called him and discussed Benji's condition. He told me he didn't think acupuncture would be of any benefit. He also said sometimes steroids can be effective on treating this for a period of time.
Well if he has no experience with it how can he say something like that. On the other hand I have been using homeopathy for years and I never saw any effect on aggressive cancers. Acupuncture combine with Chinese herbs has amazing track record in treatment of various forms of canine cancer. But you have to find proficient TCVM practitioner.
Have a look at this paper
http://integrativeveterinarycenter.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/CancerTreatment_Chinese-Herbs.pdf
Yes the problem I have is finding a TCVM nearby then my parents accepting that form of treatment. Benji has deteriorated overnight so it would appear his short stay here will soon be over. I know this is extremely upsetting for my parents. Thanks for all the support and advice fwiw.
 
Thebull said:
I love life All though most of the time it's pretty hideous. As I look at my own dogs I feel incredible love and I can't help thinking how short this life is. I wish we all could make the most of the time that we have.
So true. Our animals certainly help teach us lessons, but it can be hard.
 

Laura

Administrator
Administrator
Moderator
FOTCM Member
Very sorry to hear about this. I've always thought it was terribly unfair that our pets live such relatively short lives because we do get so attached to them. I hope your folks will do as much as they can in what time is available to make the pup feel fully loved and cared for. If it was me, I'd opt to NOT engage in a lot of painful or frightening treatments if there is no certainty that they will work; the pup won't understand.
 

Thebull

Dagobah Resident
FOTCM Member
Thanks for all the thoughts and my parents are giving him loads of love. Think they will let this run its course whatever that may be. He will have his normal routine to the end. My dad was sat outside tonight and Benji was scampering around as normal been mischievous. Dad had said the lumps seemed larger but all in all there's not much change. They will not let him suffer though so I think they're preparing mentally for when the time comes osit.
 
Top Bottom