Do we have a dog whisperer here?

Yupo

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
My dog, a 7 y/o female Carolina Dog suddenly refuses to come into the house.
She scratches at the door to be fed, but backs away as if in fear when I encourage her to come in. This started suddenly a few months ago. Before this, I had trouble getting her to leave the house. I thought this issue was was with the cat (they don't get on well). Cat was here for a couple of years when this dog came home as a young puppy.
I am worried for several reasons, including onset of colder weather.
She is generally a feisty and robust canine, very independent. She is affectionate, energetic and playful. No change in health or personality is noted. She has no problem getting in the car or going into any other home or building.
Now that I think of it, this started about the time I boarded her at a vet clinic for a few days. Not sure if there is real date correlation, though.
Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• unnamed-10.jpg
    unnamed-10.jpg
    894.3 KB · Views: 150
It's obviously a fear issue. She's was afraid to go outside, or at least more comfortable inside. Now she's afraid to come inside. I think you need to find out what it is and eliminate it or reassure her but be assertive about what you want her to do. You are supposed to be her 'pack leader' after all. That's my two cents, but I'm definitely not Cesar Milan :D

It sounds to me that something must have happened to her and now she is afraid of something coming in again. Is it just one door she is afraid of or do you have another door too? Could you convince her with a toy or some food to overcome her fear? Or are there other persons living with you you could ask if something happened, they are aware of?

It could be that there is something with the door or near to the door - inside or outside the house. Maybe something like a bad smell, or a noise or some sight/thing she does not like. Do you have some other door or possibility to enter the house? Maybe through a window when there is no second door. You could watch her when she is near the door to find out what it could be. You could remove movable things to see if there is a difference. Are there any plants there? Do other dogs have the same issue? Which issues or bad experiences had your dog in the past? Could it be that something reminds her of some bad experience? Was she a dog coming from a shelter? What does she do when you feed her at this place? I would not force her because most probably she has a very valid reason for her behavior. To me it seems that the not wanting to go out and the not wanting to come in may have the same root cause.

Just my 2 cents.

To me it seems that the not wanting to go out and the not wanting to come in may have the same root cause.

Interesting.
I will try offering different doors. She eats with no problem beside the front door. There is a little protected entry niche around that door. I put her bed there and she sleeps there sometimes. More often, she sleeps in the bushes.
The timing seems to coincide with her being boarded for about 4 days 2 months ago. This boarding episode coincided the long weekend I took with my daughter to move her off to college.
I thought she might miss the girl. I was going to try a cell call with my daughter to see if the sound of her voice might encourage her to come inside.

She is not a rescue dog. She was actually born inside my office, from a stray we took in here.

Just a thought, do you have anything that went to the vet clinic with her, her crate, bedding, leash, toys, etc. Maybe staying at the clinic was unpleasant or scary to her & if that smell is on these things, that may be the trigger. Try washing them with vinegar & water & leave them in the sun for a few hours.
Let her smell them after while outside & observe her reaction. Good luck!

Maybe she might need her own family. Have you considered adopting a same breed (or at least the same coat colour) male puppy? Did your neighbours get a new dog recently? My daughter’s St Bernard, Pebbles, nearly moved into the garden when the new dogs moved in with their new owners. What I’ve noticed is that dog’s reaction to other dogs or animals is heavily influenced by coat color and form an instant affinity to similar coat colors. Actually Pebbles was mothered by Anushka, a basset who was on her last days at the time. I think she will feel less lonely and far happier and responsive if presented with her own and like looking furry object of affection.

Big hug to her. :)

Just a thought, do you have anything that went to the vet clinic with her, her crate, bedding, leash, toys, etc.

Yes, her bed went with her. She uses it OK.

I took her to the vet yesterday, mainly about a bleeding tumor, which will be resected soon. He suggested a trial of Valium to see it this would help with her house fear issue. I gave her 20 mg, waited an hour, no help at all.
I carried her inside and tried to distract her in the kitchen with her favorite treat of liverworst (to help get new meds down). She is on an antibiotic and a steroid now for the bleeding skin tumor.
I was able to get her upstairs. Then I put her in the bed beside me. She slept for a few hours. She seemed terrified to leave the bed later. I got her off the bed and she made a mad dash for the front door, so I let her out.
Even with rain last night, I could not get her to come back inside. :(

She did not seem disturbed to be back at the vet office.

You could ask the boarding vet clinic if there was something when your dog was there. Did you put something, which went with her to the boarding vet clinic near the door? You could always make / get her an insulated doghouse outside. I hope everything will be fine soon, Yupo.

I had no trouble getting her to use the kitchen door or the back door at lunchtime today. She scampered right in. Very strange. Seems to be something about the actual threshold at the front door. She will approach, but not put her nose across it.

I`m wondering if the cat was aggressive with the dog in some moment during your absent.Could be a possibility?

Yes, possible. They chase and torment one another. But at bedtime they seem to get along, so long as I am between them.

I've read about success stories using reiki on animals for behavioral problems, anxiety, and so on. Good luck with your furry friend.

Here's a good article from Caesar Milan about dealing with a fearful dog. His main points are: don't provide comfort - fearful dogs need strong leadership shown though calm assertiveness to demonstrate that they have nothing to be afraid of.

_https://www.cesarsway.com/cesar-millan/cesars-blog/what-to-do-about-a-fearful-dog

Going off of Caesar's advice, some things to consider could be how you respond to your pup's fear. Are you alarmed, frightened, or uncomfortable because she is fearful? If so, that could reinforce the idea that she has something to be fearful about. Being calm and assertive rather than comforting can provide stability for her. It could be that however you have been responding to her is not what she needs.

I would try to only offer her food insider the door where she is afraid. Be assertive, but calm in telling her to come in. Only place her food down to her once she's come through the door. Show her there is nothing to be afraid of by being confident. If she doesn't respond, close the door. She'll probably scratch again. You might go through the routine again, but I wouldn't do it endlessly. If she refuses and ends up skipping a meal, she'll likely be hungry enough to accept your commands the next day.

Renaissance said:
Here's a good article from Caesar Milan about dealing with a fearful dog. His main points are: don't provide comfort - fearful dogs need strong leadership shown though calm assertiveness to demonstrate that they have nothing to be afraid of.

_https://www.cesarsway.com/cesar-millan/cesars-blog/what-to-do-about-a-fearful-dog

Going off of Caesar's advice, some things to consider could be how you respond to your pup's fear. Are you alarmed, frightened, or uncomfortable because she is fearful? If so, that could reinforce the idea that she has something to be fearful about. Being calm and assertive rather than comforting can provide stability for her. It could be that however you have been responding to her is not what she needs.

I would try to only offer her food insider the door where she is afraid. Be assertive, but calm in telling her to come in. Only place her food down to her once she's come through the door. Show her there is nothing to be afraid of by being confident. If she doesn't respond, close the door. She'll probably scratch again. You might go through the routine again, but I wouldn't do it endlessly. If she refuses and ends up skipping a meal, she'll likely be hungry enough to accept your commands the next day.

I was thinking along the same lines as Renaissance, our 2D companions can be very perceptive of our mental and emotional state. And assertive and calm composure with some repetition can work. If that doesn't work you can also put on her leash and guide her through a few times, with a treat afterwards to reward good behavior once she makes it through, then try to invite her in with food.

Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom