Do we have a dog whisperer here?

Happy to say she came right in the kitchen door this morning, even asking to be let in. Good timing as it is set to get really gold tonight. I'll move her bed and feeding bowls back to this area later today.
As far as only feeding her inside the house, would not work as she easily outsources nutrition in the neighborhood. I have convinced one neighbor to stop feeding and bedding her at night, though.

Since you related that the whole thing tracked back to the kennel stay and your daughter leaving, it seems to me that it must be related to that. When our alpha dog, Sebastian, passed away two years ago, my Cherie (collie girl) lost her appetite and began sleeping in his spot and moping about in a very tragic way. She acted odd in a number of ways and we concluded that she was simply depressed. It took almost six months for her to come out of it. And, actually, the rest of us were more or less in mourning for Sebastian that long.

I came across an article a week or so ago:
http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/dogs-really-can-smell-our-fear-but-it-makes-them-scared-too/

There is an adage that animals can smell our fear: That over-enthusiastic dogs and schadenfreude-loving cats approach people they know are afraid them. A new study has revealed that it’s true – for dogs at least – animals really can smell our fear, and other emotions, and it makes them feel them too.....

So, since your daughter has left the nest, how do YOU feel???

Well, it is bittersweet. Very nice to see the children grow and move toward being independent. But things are quiet and lonely now, too. I have the feeling of being in a black hole in the house now. Very unproductive, getting little done. I feel better when I am at work. I work with nice people and my job is mostly enjoyable and satisfying.
The house is now in semi-bad repair, but very livable, after the last hurricane (Matthew) and flood about a year ago. New roof is good, walls are strong. It is kind of depressing as I seldom have people over for this reason. My disposable income is tied up in the girl's education for the next few years. I plan to fix the place, and probably sell it after she finishes school.

Yupo said:

Well, it is bittersweet. Very nice to see the children grow and move toward being independent. But things are quiet and lonely now, too. I have the feeling of being in a black hole in the house now. Very unproductive, getting little done. I feel better when I am at work. I work with nice people and my job is mostly enjoyable and satisfying.

Sounds to me like doggums is feeling what you are feeling and reflecting it back to you.

Yupo said:
Must work on this. :(

Well, sometimes you can't help the way you feel. When Cherie was mourning, all of us were mourning and the other doggies too, it just seemed to be much harder on her. All we could do was just keep on keeping on and support each other; so maybe that is all you can do right now? Try to do some nice things for yourself whenever possible. Maybe do a little feng shui in your house? Small things placed here or there?

I agree with Laura, be sure of yourself, remember how pleasant and satisfying it is for you that your daughter grow older, grow up, become independent, and create her way. Works to strengthen that thought and not the negative (by the sadness of his absence), that will surely change the energy in the house, and sure the attitude of your puppy.

we are very important for our pets, not only does it matter our attention and affection towards them, but how we feel, that is reflected in them too.

a very strong hug and good luck with your dog

Back
Top Bottom