Does anyone have any plans for the coming Ice Age?

Meg

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
The plan is to play snowballs, go sledding, make a snowman and enjoy winter fairytale )
Hi NataliaBarton,

Since you are new to the forum, we would appreciate it if you would post a brief introduction about yourself in the Newbies section, telling us how you found this forum, how long you've been reading it and/or the SOTT page, whether or not you've read any of Laura's books yet, etc. You can read other's introductory posts there to get an idea.

Welcome aboard :-)

Laura

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
Our boat-people made an artists impression of a proposal for a more longterm setup. The boats are the ones pictured and all historical.
The garden would be on styrofoam islands. Anchoring with poles they can organise themselves.
And somebody actually thinks that this set-up will survive the level of storms, winds, disruption that is likely to fall on this planet?

Pashalis

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
And somebody actually thinks that this set-up will survive the level of storms, winds, disruption that is likely to fall on this planet?
Not to mention freezing cool temperatures and even fairly small Tsunamis which can turn such „ good housing“ into a nightmare quickly.

BlackCartouche

Jedi Master
Not to mention freezing cool temperatures and even fairly small Tsunamis which can turn such „ good housing“ into a nightmare quickly.
I think this guy may be onto something:
Lazzarini Design wants to build a city of floating pyramids
waya-pyramid-by-lazzarini-design_dezeen_2364_hero_a-852x479.jpg

The shape of pyramids are very structurally sound and can withstand great pressures. A purpose built floating pyramid-design would have a evenly-spreaded nicely laid hunkered-down low centre of gravity at the point it meets contact with the water making it difficult to 'roll' and capsize - especially so in relation to its tapering air-draught. Better still, if designed with an effective water-draught below to have similarly shaped an 'inverted pyramid' ("as above so below") to better help the pods stability to 'ride out' the greatest of waves (within some reason of course).
These floating pods could easily be fitted with closing shutters of re-enforced glass or steel to completely encase the floating homes if necessary, creating near-enough an 'air-tight' and very buoyant bubble, when such extreme weather events and tidal surges are to come bearing down.
With current levels of technology (even that which is available in the public sphere) and with the streamlining of cost (if there's a will!) - they shouldn't be too difficult to produce. OSIT.

cope

Jedi
Tjsa, there are only a few around here that see that coming. That said, the boats are 100 years old, good steel and riveted, and can handle a lot. And we do have a lot of water, but it is never deep.

whitecoast

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I think the notion that the sea is a safe place to be is wishful thinking at best. Maybe once the period of cataclysm settles down and the oceans have a few decades to recover from manmade pollution they could sustain people, but for now seasteading is more of a fantasy for radical libertarians and eccentric billionaires who just want to get away from USG. It’s not grounded in reality, least of all as a solution for ordinary folk.

It may be a better idea to see what rich people are actually doing to prepare. They are buying farms and ranches in the Southern Hemisphere, increasing security for their current homes and compounds, and stockpiling. This is to say nothing of other black budget projects and facilities.

Tjsa, there are only a few around here that see that coming. That said, the boats are 100 years old, good steel and riveted, and can handle a lot. And we do have a lot of water, but it is never deep.
Reality is not a democracy. Most people don’t even see an ice age coming.

On boats, do you intend to be out on a chumdinger by yourself with some relatives? Boats are more likely than not to scatter in storms, and you’re assuming all the technology currently in use that makes seafaring a cynch will still be functioning, even as the satellites desynchronize with ground systems and break after a few weeks of disruption. Do you intend to just survive out there by yourself?

Potatoes and Tomatoes

The Force is Strong With This One
I think this guy may be onto something:
Lazzarini Design wants to build a city of floating pyramids
View attachment 28339

The shape of pyramids are very structurally sound and can withstand great pressures. A purpose built floating pyramid-design would have a evenly-spreaded nicely laid hunkered-down low centre of gravity at the point it meets contact with the water making it difficult to 'roll' and capsize - especially so in relation to its tapering air-draught. Better still, if designed with an effective water-draught below to have similarly shaped an 'inverted pyramid' ("as above so below") to better help the pods stability to 'ride out' the greatest of waves (within some reason of course).
These floating pods could easily be fitted with closing shutters of re-enforced glass or steel to completely encase the floating homes if necessary, creating near-enough an 'air-tight' and very buoyant bubble, when such extreme weather events and tidal surges are to come bearing down.
With current levels of technology (even that which is available in the public sphere) and with the streamlining of cost (if there's a will!) - they shouldn't be too difficult to produce. OSIT.
On a lake or reservoir maybe. They do look incredible. But on the coast? I see big problems!

cope

Jedi
Reality is not a democracy. Most people don’t even see an ice age coming.
Do you intend to just survive out there by yourself?
For years now, i tell them that the global warming thing is cancelled, and for i´m an elder now, they do not attack me for it, but gee, the cognitive dissonance is a strong one..
The floating gardens is a thing thats used also to clean the famous stinking canals in the city, the roots hang in the water. The styrofoam blocks are held together with a fishing net, works quite well. Somebody here even made a sailboat from it and made it across the Med.

Thats the weird thing about Lazzarini, he makes floating lounges with jaccuzi´s, to live in? Where are the servants going to live, and why would they bring you food? I think the only decent way of living is in a group, and an as heterogenic group as you can possibly handle.
On boats, do you intend to be out on a chumdinger by yourself with some relatives?
Boatpeople are a generally a bit autistic perhaps, but in our community they were usefull, for they do not need external motivation, and they can make anything themselves. You cannot have a setup of only artists or activists, there must be a broad mix of talents and characters.

cope

Jedi
On a lake or reservoir maybe. They do look incredible. But on the coast? I see big problems!
These pyramids are floating coffins. Normally,a boat can handle storms and such. The most dangerous things are shallows and lee-shores.
Maybe i´m going to make some insulative floating floor under my tent, in case the water comes.

Yozilla

The Living Force
It may be a better idea to see what rich people are actually doing to prepare. They are buying farms and ranches in the Southern Hemisphere...
...NOOOT. Those "wise guys" are purchasin' estates on very Rims of The Ring of Fire :-O - this sounds quite dumb of them.

P.S. (just for wiseguys that are reading this lines under the rose): Only this advice was free - further data, event wise - are under restricted courtesy technicalities...:evil:

Top Bottom