Ice Age Preparation ?

Yes c.a...cold adaption! Reading through the Carnivore Diet conversation, it seems a shift to meat and fats only could be a good preparation for building a tolerance to the cold, especially if one is not genetically disposed this way.
I feel like I've arrived at the party too late!

Yes c.a...cold adaption! Reading through the Carnivore Diet conversation, it seems a shift to meat and fats only could be a good preparation for building a tolerance to the cold, especially if one is not genetically disposed this way.
I feel like I've arrived at the party too late!

Never to late. Better now then never!
Lots of great threads to kick start the processes. Nice in slow, see how she goes, under a new steam.

Diet and Health
All About Fasting
Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions
Important threads for Diet and Health
Smoking is... good?
Thiamine (Vitamin B1) - A common deficiency in disorders of energy metabolism, cardiovascular and nervous system dysfunction
Detoxification: Heavy Metals, Mercury and how to get rid of them

as c.a. says in this post, from Health and Wellness Show - Mar. 18, 2016 - The benefits of cold adaptation
It seems that genes play an important role

Feeling Chilly? It’s in Your Genes.
Blog_31_Feeling_Chilly_Image_2_87F9007D-EE49-1CC2-494408AFDA207866.jpg

Posted January 06, 2017
http://cr4.globalspec.com/blogentry/27938?frmtrk=cr4digest&cid=nl&et_rid=763213224&et_mid=83367416

This holiday season I received no less than five sweaters, one space heater, a fleece lined sweatshirt, and one
wonderful electric blanket. Why? It’s very well known that I’m constantly freezing. My teeth have even been known to chatter at the balmy 60 F, the same threshold at which my mother allowed my brothers to wear shorts while we waited for the school bus as kids.

A study published recently revealed something I’m clearly missing: a cold-tolerant gene. This gene variant, possessed by the Inuit, Native Americans, and some Siberians, is thought to cause “a certain type of body fat known as ‘brown fat’ to generate heat,” in addition to being involved in other traits like body fat distribution, bone, and facial structure.

This gene variant is very similar to a gene sequence found in the Denisovans (“extinct humans who once ranged from Siberia to the Southeast”). An earlier discovery had proposed that the Tibetans had also inherited a variant from the Denisovans, which allowed them “to use oxygen efficiently when the air is thin at high altitudes.”

Prior to this study, it had been recognized that one of the clusters of genes involved in cold tolerance was “significantly associated with different phenotypes including fatty acid profiles, weight, and height.” That had been notable, when considering cold-tolerance, because “short, stocky stature was an evolutionary adaption for cold weather since it consolidated heat.” Unfortunately, I don’t seem to be consolidating heat that way.

Another factor working against me is that women seem to feel cold more often than men (this comic by Blue Chair notwithstanding). Many people have observed anecdotal evidence for this, but researchers also found that women tended to possess higher core temperatures, but have consistently colder hands and feet—possibly leaving them feeling colder.

All in all, it looks as though I’m going to continue shivering, but at least now I have some answers
http://mbe.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2016/12/20/molbev.msw283
Here's Why the Inuit Tolerate Cold Better Than You Do
Neanderthals: Facts About Our Extinct Human Relatives
Bluechair - Ep. 32 - Low Tolerance
http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(05)78875-9/fulltext

Interview with Dr. Aajonus Vonderplanitz on The Primal Diet - Raw Meat and Fat
_

THE FAT OF THE LAND
by Vilhjalmur Stefansson
http://highsteaks.com/the-fat-of-the-land-not-by-bread-alone-vilhjalmur-stefansson.pdf

But I think that adaptation can do a lot, for example, I use Wim Hof techniques for about a year and the results are that i have better "self-confidence" in relation with cold. I am of those who have always complained
on the cold, shaking, I did not think about the possibility of showering with cold water...millennium snowflake.

I did not become superhuman, but with WH technique I managed to become a decent man which does not dramatize around the cold.
Can Wim Hof's breathing methods give us superhuman abilities? -- Sott.net
Research On 'Iceman' Wim Hof Suggests It May Be Possible to Consciously Influence Autonomic Nervous System and Immune Response -- Sott.net
Wim Hof, the Iceman, regulates his vagus nerve to withstand extreme cold -- Sott.net
Cold: Can it make you stronger? -- Sott.net

To stay motivated every day, helps me a lot tracking FB group Wim Hof Method in which members share their photos, courage, perseverance, adaptation and victory over themselves.

Even though it is called the little ice age, something like this (even just if it is remotely as severe as back than) happening in our world today will most certainly have a very profound effect on everything. In fact, I think that a little ice age like this happening today most likely will be enough to stop the world/civilization as we know it. And that is just if we talk about a small version of that little ice age! If we are faced with a real one, like the last big one that ended approx 12.000 years ago, where the temperatures were much colder than in the little ice age, it looks much, much worse.

Even though it is called the little ice age, something like this (even just if it is remotely as severe as back than) happening in our world today will most certainly have a very profound effect on everything. In fact, I think that a little ice age like this happening today most likely will be enough to stop the world/civilization as we know it. And that is just if we talk about a small version of that little ice age! If we are faced with a real one, like the last big one that ended approx 12.000 years ago, where the temperatures were much colder than in the little ice age, it looks much, much worse.

Agreed. We have all of this amazing technical prowess and advanced technology, but our infrastructure for supporting that technology and our way of life based on the use of that technology isn't very resilient or anti-fragile. Thinking about how complex the system supporting our lives is, I'm amazed it even works at all. But you introduce sudden glacial rebound, shortened or non-existent growing seasons, etc. and I don't think life as we know it would last very long.

I remember living in GA a few years ago and we got a whopping 3 inches or so of snow and ice and everything shut down for the better part of a week. It was, for us anyways, snowpocalypse. Imagining that scenario lasting for weeks, months, or longer... It's not a pretty picture.

Laura, thank you for the recommendation “A Cold Welcome”. Just ordered it and looking forward to reading it this weekend. Even though I live in Southeast Florida, one can never know what will happen through an Ice Age. I do have canned pastured meats put away along with plenty of beans, rice, etc. I usually don’t eat beans, rice and the like but when out of food, one will eat to survive. Luckily for me I still have my winter clothes, coats, hats, etc. so I won’t freeze going outside. I worry about my dogs as I will have to share my food with them if their food becomes unavailable, although they are Rottweilers and can adapt to the cold. I am a member of FOTCM and contribute monetarily when possible. Perhaps there is something else that I can contribute to FOTCM, research, etc?

I think it would be very helpful for everyone to read "A Cold Welcome" which cites actual eye-witness accounts of the Little Ice Age in the Americas from Canada down to South America. If you have some real idea of what you may be facing, and why (lot of discussion of how and why weather does things in certain places), you are much better prepared to prepare!

Secondly, one of the reasons we created our religious organization was so that we would be in a position to aid our members when the poo hits the fan. We have been working on helping people to meet each other in real life so as to be able to possibly form networks in their home areas; to pass on needed skills and information; and we have been experimenting with religious visas for members to be able to relocate out of areas that are problematical. Right now, everything is still in a somewhat casual stage of activity, and will remain so as long as things are relatively stable, but we are watching and getting foundations in place to make more definite moves when and if needed.

In other words, supporting FOTCM, participating actively in the limited things we are doing at present, is basically helping us to be better able to help you.
It turns out there is a Youtube of a lecture given by the author of the book "A Cold Welcome"
I haven't seen the whole video, but apparently there are many slides with quotes, pictures and diagrams.

[ Does anyone have any plans for the coming Ice Age? ]

Can we become antifragile?

Ask a turkey a week before Thanksgiving if the farmer loves him.
The farmer comes every day to feed the turkey and feed him well.
He provides free accommodations: a nice yard to peck around in, water, shelter from predators.
From the turkey’s perspective, a week before Thanksgiving, life has never been better.
Joe Jarvis (The Daily Bell)

Article found on Zero Hedge

Here's an excerpt from Nassim Nicholas Taleb” from his book Antifragile: Things That Gain From Disorder

"Then comes the day when it is really not a very good idea to be a turkey.
So with the butcher surprising it, the turkey will have a revision of belief, right when its confidence in the statement that the butcher loves turkeys is maximal and it is very quiet and soothingly predictable in the life of the turkey…
The key here is that such a surprise will be a black swan event, but just for the turkey, not for the butcher.

We can also see from the turkey story the mother of all harmful mistakes.
Mistaking absence of evidence of harm for evidence of absence…"

Joe Jarvis again:

A black swan event is an unexpected outlier event, difficult to predict because it is beyond the usual.

But how do you prepare for such an event? The whole point is that you don’t know when it will take place, or what exactly will happen. It could be a financial collapse, a civil war, or an earthquake. The butcher would be bankers, the government, or mother nature.

The answer is to become antifragile."

Fragile people will be the turkey on the Thanksgiving table. These are the people whose only retirement plan is Social Security, who trade their rights for government security, or who build their homes in a flood zone.

And what’s the opposite of fragile?

Most people say robust, or unbreakable. But this isn’t quite right. Something fragile suffers from chaos. Something robust is unaffected by a bumpy ride.

But something antifragile benefits from turmoil.

Perhaps one method of becoming antifragile is to be diverse. Diversifying things like investments, skills, even diet and exercise at least makes you robust and could make you antifragile.

One hobby of mine is foraging for wild edible and medicinal plants. I’m also into reading up on food as medicine, and which compounds in herbs show promise in treating particular ailments.

Currently, all this can be found online. It’s just a fun hobby, an extra activity during my frequent hikes in the woods.​

But if a certain type of black swan event wreaks havoc on our society, which has never been more stable…

I think that there's only so much we can do to survive future events. We might try to become just a bit more antifragile in our minds, that is.

Surely, the best thing is being mentally prepared, to accept that we might lose everything, sooner or later and
to reduce our attachment to physical life.

Upon further reflection physical preparations will be useful, if only to calm our minds.

Those who have been lulled to sleep by shutting out or ignoring reality will be unprepared. Those who are paying strict attention "right and left" will have the time they need to be where they need to be and do what they need to do. OSIT

Well.., when I look at the time frames involved, I'm not sure that survival (holding one's breath waiting for it to get warm again) is even possible simply due to the natural parameters of a human life span! Heck, even if ice age conditions only last fifty years or so, (and that seems impossibly optimistic), I doubt many of us would still be around to breathe a sigh of relief when the ice finally starts melting again like it's supposed to during Spring.

So I'm not sure what can really be gained by tucking away jars of preserves and emergency candles in the face of climate changes of this magnitude.

Barring some kind of magical density uplift into an alternate reality where everything is warm and nice, (which seems pretty sci-fi and make-believe), it would logically be that the only realistic means of surviving an ice age will be to pull up stakes and move somewhere equatorial. (Unless you happen to have a standing invitation to one of those underground THX 1138 cities. But that also seems kinda sci-fi and make-believe, not to mention more than a little off putting and scary).

But there just isn't enough black soup in your cellar or generator petrol in your shed to make it through a winter with no end. Especially when your house is buried under fifty meters of ice and snow.

And I just don't know if I have enough energy to embark upon a Caribbean relocation plan!

Frankly, listening to the early Winter wind blasting away outside right this moment, freezing through the cracks, I'm wondering if my wishful desire to be overlooked by catastrophe will be slamming nose-first into an icy wall this season, or if I'll be able to go for another 12 months before things get serious...

I currently live in the northern hemisphere, in Canada, so pretty high up there, and I don't know if I should be considering moving somewhere closer to the equator, or if I should be preparing in any way. My hopes and dreams are that one day I have the means to acquire some land and make it self sustainable and able to fend off any catastrophe that happens, but at this rate I don't know if that is even feasible, the rising cost of living, especially in my city (Vancouver) makes this very hard to accomplish, I am not in the place I want to be yet.

Is anybody else planning or preparing for the cooling period, anybody else apprehensive about it? I am very curious as to what people on this forum, who know whats coming to some extent, are planning for the not so distant future, when all of these things we've been discussing for a long time finally ferment in to reality.

I agree with what Youlik said about internal preparation being the most important, so I'll try and address this more. The world is entering a period of chaos in general. Even if you take measures against an ice age and food shortages, you're facing earthquakes, fireballs, volcanoes, freak storms, crazy exotic EMF technologies, sinkholes, wars from brainwashed religious/ethnic/ideological extremists, nuclear meltdowns in the event of natural disasters, and either natural or engineered plagues. If you want to be preserved by the universe, you should first and foremost make yourself useful to the universe. This involves making a decision to be an STO candidate, which entails becoming a giving and creative force, healing your body, mind, and emotions, and constantly gaining knowledge and awareness through researching and networking.

I think it's absolutely normal for us to fear our smallness in the face of great shifts on earth and in the cosmos. In fact I think on some level we are programmed through some ancient memory to try and read these events, even if only on a symbolic level. But we have two options. We can face it with fear and supplication, in a very simplistic and undeveloped 3D-style thinking, and let that take us go nowhere until we get the hint. Alternatively we can face it sensibly and see that the universe sets out lessons and reasonable tasks for us that ultimately attempt to bring out the best in us -- that is to say, the parts of us that are valued by the universe and which it would seek to preserve for a more creative and harmonious world. The solution is to see all the terror bearing down on us as the perfect playground for us to work on ourselves, reduce our dissociation from ourselves and our dreams, and improve our relationships with those to whom we owe the most for helping us build a better world.

We have moved from big city (Montreal) to the North, nine months ago. In the Laurentians where are now, most people and households are somewhat prepared to withstand a bit of harsh weather. Most houses have alternative heating (wood stoves), and most all of our neighbours grow some food themselves. There is also a feeling that these neighbours will join efforts in whatever may come conditions. In our minds, this is as much as we can do to prepare, other than stay alert and be open to what may come.

Also, as many others on the forum, we did think of moving to a place south but we decided that nothing could prepare us anyhow for what we imagine is to come. So! Being a family unit in a neighbourly community, helping those around us is as much as we feel is necessary.

We must say though, that the change in our lives, from city to countryside, has been a huge eye opener, and is keeping us busy enough not to over worry this change. In ourselves and our neighbours we trust! And wish everyone a smooth crossing of the winter and years to come!

romochar (DanleMiel) and MissRoBee

To pay my college loan I got job to deliver mail, this tuesday it was snowing, it was 1 degree Celsius and I was 8 hours in wet shoes outside on cold. And nothing happened, my toes didn't fell off:-). I was just cranky. When you are moving your body warms itself. Maybe we have some genetic adaptation to cold. When I was searching why I don't have wisdom teeth, most of answers on the internet were the Inuit inheritage. It doesn't have to be that but I get warm pretty quickly and I have lots of strenght although I'm tiny and I can live only on lard and I won't miss anything of wordly pleasures. My heart is broken and I don't want to live alone in coldness. I got two babies in the family, both of my sisters got little girls so my family life is richer and happier I also got good friends at work but there is something missing. I know my life partner will never change or develop emotions.
Snow is snow. We'll make nice snowmans.

When it comes to prepping been doing it for a few years and took it seriously, when it comes to food have it for few months, almost every second month(depending on finances) I buy canned food, not that it is the most healthy but it has more duration then homemade food, hygiene stuff, candles, batteries, fire cubes, etc, ..having good supply of lighters and started buying large water bottles in recent months and filling many empty bottles at home, and will start with buying fuel and storing it in canisters. Already have many things like different types of batteries for gear I have, hand lamps(red light ones especially because at larger distances can not be noticed), water filters, pepper sprays, salt, first aid kits, thermal blankets, fish antibiotics, walkie talkies, etc.. Where we live we use chopped woods, every winter about 20-25m for central heating so it is enough to last for a year. There is woods nearby but for that you would need tractors and smaller trucks to transport it in larger numbers in the case of needed heating and that would last till having fuel stored.

When it comes to security been stockpiling ammo, but mostly for low caliber guns, kevlar bulletproof vests, plates, other military equipment, night vision optics(plan to get better ones when having more money because it is a huge advantage). When it comes to weapons assault rifles are banned and even if having it bullets for them are hard to come by, so the only option for most people is legal guns because even if having illegal ones without ammo you wont hold long. But if having knowledge there are ways to use holes in law and get some equipment that modifies guns in semi auto carbines because in serious situations guns are sometimes not enough and it comes to who has a bigger gun. Long range rifles are mostly only legal for hunters and police and army personnel, and the bullets are expensive so it is expensive sport and there being no ranges for rifle marksmanship. Not mentioning in the case of collapse and martial law all legal weapons being tracked and could be taken away by government. Still what is more important is getting skills that you can teach to others, and like all others it has to be practiced constantly to not get rusty, so I ve been practicing shooting 2-3 times a month, and practicing tactics and dry exercises home which I implement at the range. I learned basics at the force but more of it was through effort, research, practice and investing, but I am planning to do some private military courses and surviving courses when I got others things sorted out financially if I got a chance when it comes to time and money.

When it comes to fitness recently I ve been training cardio and calisthenics and upping my condition by being more constant and felt more younger again, took some months off when it comes to martial arts, not that I ever was in really bad condition because lifelong training but still when doing it all your life for 20 more years you get very easily saturated and having problems to keep it constant. Also getting heavier with close to 90kg and most of it being muscle mass makes things not so easy as before, but at least there are calories to spent in case of food shortages.

Still all of it is expensive when it comes to our country standards and many people barely surviving so it got me all in minus on bank account because have a credit for car to give back, helping family and fuel and maintenance for 19 year old car costs much in our country, so I am looking for other weekend or free times jobs to make it all together but still it is illegal if you work in enforcement to do other jobs(getting fired) but many work on side because of small paycheck and making ends meat. Planning to go to my aunt in Switzerland to work there for a month during vacation time to get my finances not only sorted because of their high standard but also to getting other things I need for prepping and also to get neurofeedback and other therapies, so if all goes as planned till the end of next year I will get it all sorted and get from now basic level to moderate level of having what is needed, but still things never go as planned. Been also considering to go out to work and try in security like most young people go to West being feed up by corruption, nepotism and high sky unemployment, but this is another more personal topic.

In the end this is only the level of prepping you can do on material level, this being very hard in these times and would get even harder because most people are having it already very hard, but it can all go to dust when it comes to earthquakes, fireballs, climate change, cosmic forces because it is only for this human level. But still it is better to do all you can at the level where you are and things you can change(better be safe and ready then sorry), and if it all comes to dust at least you tried if not for yourself then for your family and close ones. But I think most important thing is to change yourself because that is what lasts when all things are gone and has lasting value, and because not all have same conditions so it is a good thing to share skills when need be with less fortunate and in that way maximizing your chances because it is all about team work and only community can survive and thrive. But prepping in any way is preparation like life and all else and it comes down to what you take from it. What I most fear is seeing loved ones hurt, sick and in pain, it gets you that squeezing feeling in the chest.

When it comes to changing location mentioned here it all depends on the situation and timing. If you go to point B when it all collapses then you will end up with masses and lower your chances by many times by getting killed, raped, robbed, etc... Even if being smarter and wait it some time after first wave the roads are going to be blocked and jammed and you can get ambushed, robbed, etc... Sometimes it is better to stay in place if there is more safety in numbers, neighbors and leave it only when necessary if threatened. And when it comes going to south those countries are not going to greet masses with open hands it is going to be closed borders and free to shoot any illegals but I also wonder how those EU countries covered in ice will react and if there is going to be again colonization era catching Africa and other luckier but poorer countries. When looking a map of last ice age in Europe if we assume it will be similar then the country where I live that is half Mediterranean country will be covered in tundra if not "lucky" enough to be covered with swamps like other more southern countries.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom