Ice Age Preparation ?

I am eyeballing a piece of land in Northern Florida. It is in Wakulla county, 5 miles from the Gulf and 10 miles from Tallahassee, a Florida's capital. It is 20 acres parcel, all overgrown by oaks. Close to a river - must have a plenty of fresh water supply close to the surface. The last hurricane Michael barreled though not far from that area, devastating several villages closest to the Gulf in its path. That may have depressed real estate prices and it would be a good time to buy.

I am also mulling over the plan to build a log house. I wonder, if built properly, would it have sustained the hurricane force of Michael with 160 MpH winds?

And Florida climate allows to grow 2 crops per year currently. That would be hardiness zone 8b. When tempered by Little Ice Age, it could still be a good area for agriculture sans the citrus farming..

florida.gif

Well, you can grow pigs of the Mangalitsa breed and grow rye (especially the Yakut cold-resistant varieties that can grow at -40 ° C) also cold-resistant berries: viburnum, goof, dogwood, etc. you also need to grow trees that can grow in the tundra: larch and alder will be some wind protection and will be a supply of firewood
P.S sorry for my bad english

@3DStudent

Gulf of Mexico is almost fully encircled by the landmasses. That would make it tsunami-free from any earthquake or comet that hits the Atlantic Ocean. Deepwater Horizon oil spill disaster happened in 2010. I read that the oil in the environment biodegrades and become food for marine creatures... as it happened after Valdez fiasco in Alaska. What concerns me is the dispersant that they used: Corexit - Wikipedia I couldn't find any info on its degradability.

dolphin.JPG

On the bright side, if professor Saveliev is right, it had been easier to evolve and survive for proto-humans in the areas adjacent to large water basins, where there is a plenty of easily digestable sea food. Especially, when climatic disasters would strike and the crops are failing, the following food source will still be available: mussels, clams, cockles, sea snails, shrimps, crabs, squid, seaweeds...

I am eyeballing a piece of land in Northern Florida. It is in Wakulla county, 5 miles from the Gulf and 10 miles from Tallahassee, a Florida's capital. It is 20 acres parcel, all overgrown by oaks. Close to a river - must have a plenty of fresh water supply close to the surface. The last hurricane Michael barreled though not far from that area, devastating several villages closest to the Gulf in its path. That may have depressed real estate prices and it would be a good time to buy.

I am also mulling over the plan to build a log house. I wonder, if built properly, would it have sustained the hurricane force of Michael with 160 MpH winds?

And Florida climate allows to grow 2 crops per year currently. That would be hardiness zone 8b. When tempered by Little Ice Age, it could still be a good area for agriculture sans the citrus farming..

Two designs!

Soil in Wakulla is, like most FL soil, mostly just sand over limestone; pretty poor in general. Also, it's very hot and muggy there in summer.

Might want to read "A Cold Welcome" for eyewitness testimony about the weather in FL during the Little Ice Age.

Soil in Wakulla is, like most FL soil, mostly just sand over limestone; pretty poor in general. Also, it's very hot and muggy there in summer.

Might want to read "A Cold Welcome" for eyewitness testimony about the weather in FL during the Little Ice Age.

Yes. In a cold period, Florida probably will not be a good place at all, if the past is anything to go by. How the climate and other circumstances were in Florida in the last big cold period, can be derived quite clearly in the book Laura mentioned above. Not pleasant.

You're raising an important point. Besides, something that has been gnawing at me about survival, is that I can't see what's in it. Let's say you survive. Survive for what? So that you can say that you were one of the few humans that survived? The fabric of the world and of our society is going to crumble. We're going to be hit on all side all at once. There will be an ice age, economic collapse which is likely to bring violence, ideological violence which is likely to lead to racial violence, environmental disasters, extreme food shortage...etc. I can't see what would be a point of a life post-SHIFT. It would be survival for survival's sake -- and that is, if you even manage to survive which is unlikely. Obviously, if everything is a lesson, your survival would just be another lesson, just like dying would be...

It will sound really defeatist, but I don't see the point of putting any effort into survival. And to be honest, even if you were trying to learn new skills now to be more prepared following the shift. There are so many factors into play, that you may die before ever using them. And even if you get to use them, the haunting question to me is what would be the point of survival in such a world?

I feel all we can hope for is a swift and painless death. Or at least that is what I'm personally hoping for.

This is off topic, but what do you think happen after Earth is cleansed from the human race? A new experiment starts and the survivors of the human race become what Atlantis is to us now?

As for me, I can't see a reason why one shouldn't try to survive as best and truthful to one's aims and soul outfit as possible and just give up instead. I think when one looks at everything that exists both in spiritual and physical terms, it would be kind of an affront against the value of creation/being/cosmic mind/universe, in which physically is a part of, in all its "good", "ugly" and "bad" details. It would be like taking the easy way out in some sense IMO.

Here is how I see it: As long as surviving of our loved ones and ourselves is doable with decency, it is something that should be done as best as possible in accordance with the values of striving towards STO. Not by all means though, since bodily survival shouldn't be the main priority at all, but rather a tool to something like being of the best help as possible both for ourselves and others. Learning skills and the like, viewed in this context, is very good, meaningful and spiritual. When I think of spirituality, I also include physicality in it to some extent, so to just disregard that part is something I would find a bit repulsive.

Surviving on the other hand purely in itself purely mechanically/physically speaking, with no higher aims in mind, by any means and no matter what the price, is something that I would find repulsive as well.

So when in the end one has done everything in their power to deal with the situation as best as possible and there is simply no way left anymore to decently engage with physical life, then this option would be something reasonable and ok to consider IMO (giving up on the physical aspect). But only after having done all in one's power in accordance with one's being.

I have been following this forum, with reading most of the recommended books for the last few years since finding this site.
Anxious I would not miss anything, I realise I have not really practiced many things properly i.e .EE .Now I will make a concerted effort
to do those things. While I am literally terrified of the future( I mentioned in a previous post that none of my family want to know or share any of my findings).I feel as if I have a gag on my mouth at all times so I don't say anything when I am with them.

However, I am still here and have learned so much. This make me feel this was supposed to be,. If I survive the initial breakdown or whatever comes first then I feel that's supposed to be as well. Whatever the mode of death or transition then that will be what is meant to be for me. I don't believe we will be here any longer than we need.

How many times in the last few millennia have people had the opportunity to speak like this about their immediate future?

For what preparations to make. I will go for walks and find bits of wood. I'll buy a little burner. Buy some thermals. Thick boots . This is not doomsday shopping but little things to have spare as a message that I'm not giving up to the fear just yet. As the C's said "We will do what we will do".

Thank you Laura.

Growing up in FL, we always had a "Hurricane Cupboard" with supplies. And we rotated them and replaced them. And when we saw the signs of oncoming potential disaster, we took a few extra measures to "batten down the hatches" and secure our water supply. That is, you prepare for the worst, hope for the best, and deal with what comes.

Well, you can grow pigs of the Mangalitsa breed and grow rye (especially the Yakut cold-resistant varieties that can grow at -40 ° C) also cold-resistant berries: viburnum, goof, dogwood, etc. you also need to grow trees that can grow in the tundra: larch and alder will be some wind protection and will be a supply of firewood
P.S sorry for my bad english

Artem Yalovyi,

Welcome to the forum. We have a thread for new members to give a brief introduction. Your English is fine and you have some good ideas.

The thread for new members is:

Newbies & Important Notices to All Members

Your introduction can be as brief or long as you feel comfortable writing.

Yes. In a cold period, Florida probably will not be a good place at all, if the past is anything to go by. How the climate and other circumstances were in Florida in the last big cold period, can be derived quite clearly in the book Laura mentioned above. Not pleasant.
Another reason to avoid Florida is its particularly prone to sinkholes:

Us Geological Sinkhole Map Karst Map Fresh Map Karst topography In Us Sinkhole Zones In Fl Valid Florida - Owlab.Co

Video Shows Sinkhole Swallowing Florida Homes

"Sinkholes are probably the least studied hazardous phenomenon on our planet," said Hofstra University geology professor Robert Brinkmann. Brinkmann has been at the forefront of understanding how sinkholes impact urban and suburban areas, so much so that he even wrote a book about it in 2013.

"He explained that Florida has a landscape uniquely susceptible to sinkholes. The state sits over carbonate rock made of mostly limestone and dolostone."

With the continued "opening up" of Earth as stated by the C's, low-lying Florida is one of the last places I'd choose to settle.

Reactions: Ca.
@BlackCartouche
Karst topography varies from rolling hills dotted with sinkholes, caves, underground streams and springs, to jagged hills and pinnacle karst found in the tropics. These distinctive landscapes form in humid, tropical regions with plentiful rainfall where bedrock consists of carbonate-rich rock that is easily dissolved, such as limestone. Ten percent of the world is made up of karst terrain, including portions of states like Georgia, Texas, Alabama, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, Pennsylvania and Florida—the only US territory comprising a landscape that is entirely karst.

The text above is from the link you provided...

Somehow, I have not been scared by the underground. Growing, being a little kid, I always tried to squeeze myself into some underground spaces, tunnels, etc. Even now, I would be excited by the opportunity to have my own cavern, If I would ever get the property in a karst area. If it is dried - I will have myself a natural cellar, if it is full of fresh water, I will learn scuba diving...

By the way, are there any specific areas in the Southern US that Cs mentioned as being perfect to escape to when the cold moves in?

Reactions: Ca.
Are you kidding me! I love New Mexico. I went there 10 times since last March for treasure hunting in the Rockies.
But, it is not a warm state already, since most of it is at a high elevation. Santa Fe is sitting at around 5,000 above the sea level. With the coming multi-decade cold spell it will turn into the likes of North Dakota and Saskatchewan...

Back
Top Bottom