does sleeping in a certain direction make a difference?

Iconoclast

Jedi Master
i recently moved to a new appartment. i put my bed in the middle of the bedroom and aligned it so that the sides face exactly north, south, etc.
after experimenting a bit it seems when my head is pointing north and my feet south that my dreams are somwhat more vivid and the ability to recall anything in the morning has gone from 'almost nothing' to 'general idea what i was dreaming about'.

does anyone know more on this subject? is there some 'ancient wisdom' that deals with the direction in which we should be sleeping? or does it depend entirely on the location and the person?

I personally don't know much about it or its validity, but it seems that "Feng Shui" practitioners have a lot to say about this. Feng Shui is is (allegedly) the "ancient Chinese practice of placement and arrangement of space to achieve harmony with the environment."

Here's a website that seems to use Feng Shui to help you figure out a direction to sleep in:
_http://www.168fengshui.com/blog/2005/08/22/finding-your-best-feng-shui-directions/

On the other hand, here's a short thread where people who read Feng Shui are arriving at contradictory conclusions and cannot come to any sort of consensus about sleeping direction:
_http://fengshui.tribe.net/thread/8225e732-e678-4c52-9a02-dbcabfcd5517

Then again, here's another "authoritative" website that makes all kinds of conclusive-sounding statements that, of course, contradict the other websites:
_http://sleepdisorders.about.com/od/alternativemethods/a/fengshui.htm

I don't know why I even bothered to hope that for once there will be some truth that is readily available out there. But as with everything else, all we're given is confusion, lies, agendas, distortions, and just a lot of nonsense. So if there is any "ancient wisdom" regarding this, as usual we'd have to do some serious digging before we get a hint of what it may be.

How much of Feng Shui is really from the ancient Chinese wisdom it claims to be, and how much of it was added later? But then again, how much of that ancient Chinese wisdom was even true in the first place? If you have a corrupted/distorted system that is based off of another corrupted/distorted system, you get into layers of nonsense, which seems to be what the majority of such modern "systems" are, like Martial Arts for example.

You could try to find some truth in all of this, but it might actually be easier to do what you've already been doing - to just experiment yourself and try a few sleeping directions and bed positioning and see what seems to work better for you. Not to mention, if you have trouble sleeping, there may be more "down to earth" solutions to it too like getting a better bed/pillow, adjusting dietary and exercise habits, etc.

somehow humouristic part of it is that Feng Shui was used as the sacred art of burial, finding a harmonious place to bury Chinese royalty and wealthy dead; and somewhere along a road its meaning was reversed to create a harmonious environment for living average humans. And now this art to arrange dead is so popular among living!
_http://www.awarenessmag.com/marapr07/ma07_feng_shui.htm
_http://www.astramate.com/fengshui.htm
i put my kid with his head to the north-east every night, you would like to see the outcome with his 'tail' to be found anywhere on that autodrom dozen times a night ;) ;) just can't keep from laughing!

The placement of my bed has always been dictated by the architectural arrangement of the room in which I chose to make my bedroom, in the different houses in which I have lived over the past 30 years. This was sometimes based on such mundane considerations as electrical outlets, to more restricting conditions like doors and windows. I spent about the first 10 years of that period sleeping head north, but for the past nearly 20 years the rooms chosen have had to be arranged such that I sleep head east, with one notable four month exception when I again slept head north.

For the life of me, I cannot notice any difference, subtle or otherwise. Perhaps its because I am sleeping facing the wrong direction, eh? ... Or possibly it is irrelevant. I have always seemed to opt for the most functional room layout, perhaps to my great psychic loss, or not.

It would certainly seem that there should be a most beneficial direction... even if it was like a blood type diet thing, where certain types of people would benefit from different directions, but darned if I have ever read anything that definitively clarifies the question - and my personal experiences, even when this topic has been considered in the past, have not produced any useful clues.

I don't know any written source for this argument but it is strongly recommended to sleep your head pointing towards north. One reason for this could be that you are aligned with magnetic forces.

Rauno said:
I don't know any written source for this argument but it is strongly recommended to sleep your head pointing towards north. One reason for this could be that you are aligned with magnetic forces.
But what if this "strong recommendation" aka hearsay is spread intentionally by those that have an STS agenda?

CarpeDiem said:
somehow humouristic part of it is that Feng Shui was used as the sacred art of burial, finding a harmonious place to bury Chinese royalty and wealthy dead; and somewhere along a road its meaning was reversed to create a harmonious environment for living average humans. And now this art to arrange dead is so popular among living!
Well THAT's spooky! Might this be a hint as to its real effect? I dunno but reminded me of this from the Wave:

http://www.cassiopaea.org/cass/wave11f.htm said:
There was a Reiki Master down in Clearwater (FL) who had been initiated into the "lineage" of one of the persons who was reputed to have "altered" and "added to" the Reiki teachings. (In fact, as I understand it, due to extreme promotional efforts and books, etc., this person's teachings are the most widely known version of Reiki in the country today.) So Louise became resentful at the refusal of our Reiki Master and decided to go to this other Reiki Master of the "altered" line for her Master level.

After she had obtained her Master Initiation, she offered to give me, Candy and Tim the Second Level attunements at a tremendous discount. Okay. Sounded like a good deal to me. I couldn't imagine how there could be anything wrong with it because I wasn't even sure what was done or how. I agreed.

Along with the second level initiation, a little booklet was provided which included the symbols that the Second Level student was now "empowered" to use. I was reading through this book when I came to a page that was headed "Power Exercises." It began:

The Reiki Alliance form of teaching involves using the body as an energy channel to pass the attunements. Usui Traditional Reiki does not use this method, or the power exercises given here. The advantage of these exercises is that with them you need to pass the attunement only once to transmit the Reiki degree. [Diane Stein, 1991]

I sort of didn't really notice the distinction between "The Reiki Alliance" and "Usui Traditional Reiki" as I was reading this the first time, so I continued on. The instructions for the "power exercise" for women began:

Sit with legs open, so that you can press the heel of one foot against your vagina and clitoris. Use a firm, steady pressure... You may experience sexual stimulation or orgasm. [Ibid.]

I have to admit that warning bells went off in my head with this one. Believe me, I am NOT unaware of Tantra and certain Kundalini stimulating practices, nor the benefits to be gained from them, but after studying these things in some detail, I KNEW that in such ancient traditions, the student is carefully led through many stages of instruction and preparation before introduced to such a practice as was being described in this Reiki manual; and "sexual stimulation or orgasm" is NOT encouraged in these traditions; at least not in the early stages of training which can take YEARS! This kind of exercise can actually be quite dangerous if you don't REALLY know what you are doing!

But, I continued to read. A page was included that showed the method for using the Reiki symbols to basically, "bomb the Earth with love and light." Well, at that point in my education, it didn't seem like a bad idea. I had even considered doing remote Spirit Release on all the members of Congress!

But THEN I reached the back of the book where there was a page headed "Alternate Reiki Symbols (Usui Traditional Method.)" I had a look at them and then I went back to the symbols that the "Reiki Alliance" was teaching and compared them. Not only were they VERY different, one of them, the "Power symbol," was completely REVERSED.

Now THAT disturbed me in a BIG way! I had a sort of visceral understanding of these symbols as being a Cosmic or interdimensional language, or electromagnetic circuit diagram, and here I was seeing that somebody had not only altered them, but had even reversed one of them.

If these symbols are, as I was understanding it, a sort of Cosmic microchip that can be installed in the body to enable a flow of energy from other dimensions; if they are a "language" that "tells" the body something in a deep, objective way, and then somebody changes them, WHAT are they now "programming?" What is being "said" to the body? What are the circuits being routed to DO?

I called Louise immediately and pointed this out to her - that she had apparently "gone over" to the group that our Reiki Master had been talking about, though none of them had ever been named by her. Louise was not only dismissive of my concerns, she was actually contemptuous of my idea that there could be a real problem here. As I remember her saying: "If you believe they will work, they will! It's all a matter of what you believe. If you don't believe they will work, they won't. If your spiritual development is weak or backward, of course, nothing will work for you."
So basically, when it comes to anything that is potentially useful and keeping in mind the world we're in, we should EXPECT it to be intentionally corrupted, and probably totally reversed to have potentially the opposite effect of what is touted. This is what is more likely to be "popular" and spread far and wide. As such, I'd be verrry careful before repeating any rumors or anything like that, you may be unknowingly hurting a lot of people as a result. Believe it or not many people take a vague statement like "it is strongly recommended" as authoritative in and of itself. That's why medical TV commercials often say stuff like "4 out of 5 doctors recommend a daily dose of (cyanide)!" etc, knowing that that alone will cause many people to assume there must be something to it.

oh! the thread's already alive! hm... the email notifications must not be working...

anyway, thanks for the feedback!
i find it very interesting that feng shui was originally used for burial purposes! i was unaware of that. very telling indeed.

the 'direction finder' from the link SAO posted is pretty useless... (thanks for posting it, though)
it says:
Ideally, you want to place your back to the A direction (receive support from this direction) and sleep with your head pointing to the D direction.
this assumes that everyone sleeps on their side.
(i sleep on my stomach)

it would seem the only way to get some good data is by trial and error - if changing the direction makes a difference at all.

Iconoclast said:
it would seem the only way to get some good data is by trial and error - if changing the direction makes a difference at all.
Lol or just sleep standing up - that'll show all those direction-obsessed new agers! Get one of those nice discount hibernation chambers, probably like $15 at Walmart I'm sure! What does Feng Shui have to say about sleeping in no lateral direction at all?

This is mine:
23466147.jpg

In all seriousness, I think it might actually be very comfortable to sleep standing up or sitting instead of laying down, assuming there was a comfortable way to do it. My biggest issue with sleep is my damn shoulders. I can't sleep on my stomach because I'd need to turn my head 90 degrees to the side and somehow that never works out for my neck. I can't sleep on my side too long because of my shoulders getting in the way. So I tend to sleep on my back, but that also gets pretty boring after about 5 minutes so I end up tossing and turning until I fall asleep. So personally I'd love to see some sort of innnovation in sleeping technology other than the thousand-year-old bed. Maybe something anti-gravity that suspends you in mid-air all night in any position you choose without physical contact to anything? Then upright position might be really good!

We just need Ark to come through with that field theory asap, so we can finally get a good night's rest! :P

Iconoclast said:
this assumes that everyone sleeps on their side.
(i sleep on my stomach)
On a related note :
Did you notice anything perticular if you were falling asleep in another position (I also sleep on my stomach most often) ?
Regardless of the direction of course.

It's been around 20 years since I read Jane Roberts' "Seth Material" books, but I remember distictly that the channelled entity "Seth" was very insistent that she place her bed in a north-south direction in order to successfully remember dreams.

Seth placed a lot of importance in dreams and encouraged Jane to record them on a regular basis, but I don't recall the reason for the north-south direction. If I remember correctly, he claimed that we "look ahead" in time in our dreams and that recording them would show this.

In my own experience, this orientation does improve dream recall.

tendrini said:
In my own experience, this orientation does improve dream recall.
Are you sure that it's a result of such orientation? Couldn't there be other factors involved?

j0da said:
Are you sure that it's a result of such orientation? Couldn't there be other factors involved?
one would think, that changing the direction that one sleeps in, in order to remember the dreams would suggest that the person who choses to do so, is focusing more on remembering the dreams and therefore this person will have a greater chance of remembering.
So maybe this has nothing to do with the direction, but has more to do with the effort being put into remembering.

That's a good point, about the intention to remember the dreams having more to do with success than any orientation.

Session 904730 said:
A: What is chosen? Only you can choose. The choice comes
by nature and free will and looking and listening. Where you
are is not important. Who you are is and also what you see
This quote seems to fit nicely with this thread

StayCalm said:
This quote seems to fit nicely with this thread
Which basically means just give it a go and see what happens. Perhaps, you could make it into a personal project and report the findings to all of us here.

Fun, no?

Back
Top Bottom