Downton Abbey

Cosmos

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
We recently started to watch the series called Downton Abbey thanks to a recommendation from a friend. After having watched all sorts of new series and movies that have been put out there over the last couple of years (most of which I can't really stand), so far I'm very positively impressed by this one. In stark contrast to most of the series today, this one literally sparkles with great actors, beautiful script writing, pretty good historic setting and knowledge, a lot of thought and decency put into it, great music etc.

Sometimes I do wonder what type of people or what type of society would create the types of movies and series that are put out nowadays, since they are quite awful at least to me in a lot of ways. Most often what I get out of those series is a lot of nonsense, very bad grasp of history, stupidity and outright glorified pathology without any soul in it. So far this one strikes the exact opposite core IMO, even though it is an ongoing new production. After having been tortured with a number of rather disgraceful new movies and series, this one is very different IMO and in fact quite healing to watch after those torments. :violin:

Downton Abbey is elegant and profound IMO. In this one you can almost feel the stark contrast it makes when actual human thought is put into a series in stark contrast to a lot of other series today, that any donkey with a soul and half a brain could have made much better IMO. :halo: It will go up very high in my personal favorite list together with "Little House on the Prairie" which is based on the book with the same title.

Also, some of the characters in the series, such as grannie (Violet Crawley, Countess of Grantham played by Maggie Smith), the patriarch of the family, are just priceless, classy and so utterly humorous at the same time. Such a joy to see her class and mastery of the character. She is my favorite so far. The other actors are great as well.

Here are some trailers and scenes for your enjoyment:

This one contains some spoilers:

Last edited by a moderator:
We watched this a while back and loved it. Finally a series that is about humans, without sex, violence and postmodern ideology, plus the costumes, settings etc. are just gorgeous. It has been described by the usual suspects as "escapist" or glorifying the English nobility and what not, but that's really not what it is about at all.

Also, some of the characters in the series, such as grannie (Violet Crawley, Countess of Grantham played by Maggie Smith), the patriarch of the family, are just priceless, classy and so utterly humorous at the same time. Such a joy to see her class and mastery of the character. She is my favorite so far.

Yes, she was my favorite too, amazing role and acting. This combination of utter snobbery and conservatism but mixed with a big heart and whit is priceless.

Finally a series that is about humans, without sex, violence and postmodern ideology, plus the costumes, settings etc. are just gorgeous.

Finally, indeed!

It has been described by the usual suspects as "escapist" or glorifying the English nobility and what not, but that's really not what it is about at all.

Fully agree.

Yes, she was my favorite too, amazing role and acting. This combination of utter snobbery and conservatism but mixed with a big heart and whit is priceless.

Exactly my impression as well. Such a joy to watch her.

That's what I love about British period dramas in general and British adaptations of great classics in particular: they're classy, their depiction of human emotions and interactions is generally sober, yet more subtle and authentic than the usually cheap, overly dramatic and often hysterical displays that you often see in US modern movies/series. Besides, we're usually spared the sex and violence that most modern directors feel obliged to include in their productions in order to attract viewers (and to compensate for the inanity of their storylines and the blandness of their one-dimensional characters).
And yes, Violet is also one of my favourite characters - for all her irony and sarcasm, she's a true, kind-hearted lady. Maggie Smith is really a wonderful actress!

I haven't watched the series but there was a full length motion picture recently that I did see. Same characters as the show. It was very good and pretty tastefully done but did not completely escape the leftest agenda. If you see the movie, you'll know to what I'm referring.

Besides, we're usually spared the sex and violence that most modern directors feel obliged to include in their productions in order to attract viewers (and to compensate for the inanity of their storylines and the blandness of their one-dimensional characters).

Indeed, and without giving spoilers, at one point in the series there is a truly horrible, horrible act (that of course you don't see, but know it happened), and this gave me the shivers and greatly disturbed me - and rightfully so. But the reason it was so disturbing is precisely because I was not numbed down by endless sex and violence! What happened, happened against the background of nuanced human interactions, so the effect was very powerful. In many movies and series where there is constant violence and sex, bad things don't even register, or they have to make it ever-more extreme and graphic to have some effect. It's really sad.

I haven't watched the series but there was a full length motion picture recently that I did see. Same characters as the show. It was very good and pretty tastefully done but did not completely escape the leftest agenda. If you see the movie, you'll know to what I'm referring.

Oh no!! Haven't watched the movie, but this is a bummer. In the series, some issues such as the role of women in society and gay rights are raised, but IMO in a very realistic, non-ideological and intelligent way. This was so refreshing: you actually can raise these issues and get you to think about them in a nuanced way that is productive and leads to insights, instead of hammering you with stupid ideological talking points.

In the series, some issues such as the role of women in society and gay rights are raised, but IMO in a very realistic, non-ideological and intelligent way.

Like I said, I hadn't watched the series. It was the latter, so I guess it carried on from the show in that regard as well. That particular issue is so over represented in entertainment, it definitely feels agendized (is that a word?) even when tastefully addressed. IMO

I haven't watched the series but watched the 2019 movie of the same name. It takes a while to figure out who is who but it is very enjoyable and the characters are likeable, especially the scary old lady.

Both ladies in my household have been avid fans from day one. I resisted for years because - well, I assumed it was pure puff and ersatz - but last winter they finally managed to persuade me to join them for their 8th full watch through of the entire outing, season by season, and much to my surprise I became, shall we say, a soft convert! Mostly for the reasons you all have said - the near absence of all our modern horrors and some surprisingly insightful and rich character relationships. And a lot of decency and touching good heart! A much needed antidote to 2021 and the moral bankruptcy of the scandemic.

As an aside, and for those who may never have seen it before, when it comes to upper crust English drama of the period (1920-40), for me nothing comes close to matching the evocative brilliance of the iconic 1981 TV adaption of Evelyn Waugh's Brideshead Revisited. The title of the first chapter - 'Et in Arcadia ego' - sums it up; high, youthful idealism steadily meets inevitable icy reality. Having grown up in a manner somewhat haunted by the ghosts of that period, as an adolescent I loved both the novel and then the breakthrough TV series (which is as close to a perfect realization on film of a written masterpiece yet realized). I watched it again recently after a near 20 year absence and found the full arch of the series to be both as rewarding as I remembered but also more pitiful and sad, so if you are looking for pure escapism this is not likely to be for you. But despite this and its willingness to look unblinkingly at the best and worst of human foibles, at its heart is the subject of love and above all faith. Yes, its very Catholic with a big 'C', but the soft call of the ever absent yet ever present character, God, is the true worth of the watch, for though Waugh was a damaged and difficult man, he was still a remarkablly astute and sensitive writer and in this tale of innocence lost and soul re-discovered, he tenderly captures the whispered call of the spirit from on far better than almost anyone.

Here's episode one up on YouTube if you fancy a taster.

As an aside, and for those who may never have seen it before, when it comes to upper crust English drama of the period (1920-40), for me nothing comes close to matching the evocative brilliance of the iconic 1981 TV adaption of Evelyn Waugh's Brideshead Revisited. The title of the first chapter - 'Et in Arcadia ego' - sums it up; high, youthful idealism steadily meets inevitable icy reality.
I remember watching this in late eighties as a teenager and being impressed by it. It would be interesting to revisit it again and see if it would have the same impact.

There is a new movie out (Downton Abbey II - A New Era) - and it's lovely all around!
That's awesome, I had no idea. The TV show is a favorite of mine, so many well-written and acted characters. Happy to see that they brought everyone back, it wouldn't be the same without them.

That's awesome, I had no idea. The TV show is a favorite of mine, so many well-written and acted characters. Happy to see that they brought everyone back, it wouldn't be the same without them.
They already made a first movie after the show which was good, but I found this one much better. It clearly has been made for the fans, and doesn't disappoint!

Back
Top Bottom