Dreaming of tortoises

Aeneas

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
Yesterday morning I woke up after having dreamed of tortoises. In the dream I was at the chateau, though it looked different and we were talking amiably about something. Next we went to look out of a large window and below there was a small stream from where 4 giant tortoises were appearing. They seemed to be swimming upstream.

I am not aware of having dreamed of tortoises before. While talking to my wife about it, she mentioned the book "Momo" where a friendly tortoise called Cassiopaea comes to the rescue. There is a thread about the book here

Michael Ende's 'Momo' - an allegory for Laura & the C's?

Anyway, it was a nice dream to wake up from.

Yesterday morning I woke up after having dreamed of tortoises. In the dream I was at the chateau, though it looked different and we were talking amiably about something. Next we went to look out of a large window and below there was a small stream from where 4 giant tortoises were appearing. They seemed to be swimming upstream.

I am not aware of having dreamed of tortoises before. While talking to my wife about it, she mentioned the book "Momo" where a friendly tortoise called Cassiopaea comes to the rescue. There is a thread about the book here

Michael Ende's 'Momo' - an allegory for Laura & the C's?

Anyway, it was a nice dream to wake up from.

Your dream reminded me of the Turtle in Native American Mythology, stuck me in one sense, that this could originate in the depths of history, namely originating from the landmass called Pangaea, just my thought.

Turtle Island is a name for the Earth[1] or for North America, used by some Indigenous Peoples in the United States and First Nations people and by some Indigenous rights activists. The name is based on a common North American Indigenous creation story.

According to Iroquois oral tradition, "the earth was the thought of [a ruler] of a great island which floats in space [and] is a place of eternal peace."[3] Sky Woman fell down to the earth when it was covered with water, or more specifically, when there was a "great cloud sea".[1] Various animals tried to swim to the bottom of the ocean to bring back dirt to create land. Muskrat succeeded in gathering dirt,[1] which was placed on the back of a turtle. This dirt began to multiply and also caused the turtle to grow bigger. The turtle continued to grow bigger and bigger and the dirt continued to multiply until it became a huge expanse of land.[1][4][5] Thus, when Iroquois cultures refer to the earth, they often call it Turtle Island.[5]

According to Converse and Parker, the Iroquois faith shared with Hinduism and other religions the "belief that the earth is supported by a gigantic turtle"[1] In the Seneca language, the mythical turtle is called Hah-nu-nah,[1] while the name for an everyday turtle is ha-no-wa.[6]

Turtle Island (Native American folklore) - Wikipedia

Could your dream indicate your desire to create a new world, the tortoises were swimming upstream, could this also indicate challenges to achieve that goal, it left you feeling it was a pleasant dream, so a good sign. Just my thought FWIW.

Could your dream indicate your desire to create a new world, the tortoises were swimming upstream, could this also indicate challenges to achieve that goal,
Thank you for the Native American mythological perspective. My ex wife had a Tarot deck which was around the American medicine wheel and the totem animals.

I also thought it was interesting that the turtles were swimming upstream as in the Gurdjieffian idea of the the law of exception going against the General Law. To me it was an empowering dream and also connected with the FOTCM as the people from the chateau were present.

I've been doing some shamanic journeying which is a lot like active dreaming and turtles have shown up several times for me as well.

320px-The_cosmic_tortoise%2C_and_Mount_Meru.jpg

As I see, it's a significant dream. To those interested in going deeper, I suggest the myths of Mount Meru, which, like earth, is told supported by a turtle, and also of particular importance, the Chinese tales of the turtle Ao. Ah, not to miss in the research, if may I add, the very important number four.​

Back
Top Bottom