Elbow displacey

Thebull

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
My Beautiful dog Milly is 11 years old now. She had her first operation on her left leg when she was 2. She's had an operation on the other leg aswell.
She's been on an anti inflammatory drug for many years now and over the last month it doesn't seem to be working. She was on loxicomat first then rheumicam. Must of been taking that for 8 years.
Anyway recently things have got worse and although she still enjoys life and short walks. We can tell the pain is getting worse.
The vets won't operate again and wouldn't be keen on that option anyway but I wanted to ask a question here. Has anyone tried a pet on CBD oil? I'm just starting to read up on my options but wondered if anyone here had tried it or knew anything about the effect on pets.
Any advice would be appreciated.

If you have that option in your area go for a vet that practices TCVM - this condition can be nicely managed with acupuncture and chinese herbal medicine.
If this is not an option CBD oil may help somewhat but make sure to get real deal.

Apologies didn't mean to post both pics.

That's okay its nice to see Milly twice, she looks like a sweetheart :-)

I agree with Deckard on both counts. Acupuncture and herbal medicine is often quite effective and if that's not an option CBD works really well in many cases. We sell some CBD products at my clinic and many of my patients have had good results managing this kind of pain and I think some of them use it for their pets as well.

We've found that some patients respond better to CBD isolate and some do better with broad spectrum CBD products (ie they contain other active ingredients from the hemp oil). Product potency and quality seem to vary widely, similarly to what we see with vitamins and other nutritional supplements, some companies use top quality ingredients and others produce a cheap and ineffective product to make a buck off of the CBD hype. So the takeaway is to try to find a trustworthy company and even if their products don't help you can try a different company that may use a different formulation and get a better result. If you need a recommendation you can send me a PM and I will tell you the company we work with, they probably have suppliers in your area.

Hi Thebull,

Milly looks like a lovely pup, no worries about the two pictures, the more the merrier :), And I am really sorry he's having trouble. I tried CBD once for one of my dogs and I didn't see any improvement in his condition (seizures) but I must say that I stop using it too soon I think.

But what I will say that definitely helped was to get him on a grain free diet that was mostly meat. Mine also had a bad injury in one of his elbows in one of his front paws, and while he hasn't been the same and age has hit him a lot and his elbow has since remained weakened. I think a proper diet at least dones't make the issue worse by adding extra inflammatory issues and so on.

So I wanted to ask, how is Milly's diet? and is this something you could improve? I would think that the effectiveness of CBD might be enhanced by a cleaner and species appropriate diet.

If you have that option in your area go for a vet that practices TCVM - this condition can be nicely managed with acupuncture and chinese herbal medicine.
If this is not an option CBD oil may help somewhat but make sure to get real deal.
First time I've checked I have found a vet within driving distance. I'll give them a call to have chat.
If you need a recommendation you can send me a PM and I will tell you the company we work with, they probably have suppliers in your area.
Ill have a look at buying options here in the UK if there's any issues I'll drop you a pm.
I haven't used CBD oil for dogs, but I did use Canine Rosehip Vital for my last dog when she got older and it did seem to help her lots.
I'll certainly take a look at this and do some further reading. A 3 week trial money back offer seems good.
So I wanted to ask, how is Milly's diet? and is this something you could improve? I would think that the effectiveness of CBD might be enhanced by a cleaner and species appropriate diet.
Millys diets is good. We get raw meat from the butcher's chicken and beef/offle though it is mixed with a small amount of biscuits. Sorry to hear about your dog's problems.

Thanks for everyone's responses I've got somewhere to start. I Just want to make her as comfortable as possible in her later years although I know the arthritis is severe. The vet told us that after the first op when she was young.
We found Milly tied to a lamp post and she has been a blessing to us all. She's loved by everyone she comes into contact with such a loving caring nature. We'll do all we can.

IMG_20200504_084623.jpg
I couldn't help but share this from the morning of my son's recent 8th birthday. Seems she wasn't to happy with the hat though she did let us take a few pics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well we’ve been to see a vet on referral to take a look at Millys elbow displacey. A friend of ours had been and there retriever has the same problem a Milly. They’ve had good results.
Anyway the procedure involves injecting fillers into the joint I think the substance is called arthromid. Wondered if anyone had heard of this procedure? Fingers crossed it will ease her pain. Maybe give her a bit of time where she can move more freely. Fingers crossed.

IMG_20210219_172721.jpgback from the injections. We hope it will ease her Arthritis pain. Even if she has 6 months easing the pain it'll be worth it.
She's a bit groggy so we'll feed her dinner and let her relax. She's pleased to be home.
They said it'll be a couple of days in pain then the injections should start to work. Poor little soul doesn't need any more vet visits for a while. I love this little pooch.

Hi Thebull,
I haven't got experience with CBD Oil for pets but MSM (or DMSO...but oh, the smell) is a great and inexpensive solution.
I proposed MSM for the very old dog of my work mate that couldn't walk very well and thus didn't. After some days on MSM it moved like a young dog and kept it up until his time had come.

My Beautiful dog Milly is 11 years old now. She had her first operation on her left leg when she was 2. She's had an operation on the other leg aswell.
She's been on an anti inflammatory drug for many years now and over the last month it doesn't seem to be working. She was on loxicomat first then rheumicam. Must of been taking that for 8 years.
Anyway recently things have got worse and although she still enjoys life and short walks. We can tell the pain is getting worse.
The vets won't operate again and wouldn't be keen on that option anyway but I wanted to ask a question here. Has anyone tried a pet on CBD oil? I'm just starting to read up on my options but wondered if anyone here had tried it or knew anything about the effect on pets.
Any advice would be appreciated.
I have a copy of the book The Complete Herbal Handbook for the Dog and Cat by Juliette de Bairacli Levy.

"For arthritis over-acid diet is the chief cause." But you know the cause here. "Treatment - Internal dosing with rosemary brew; also feed chopped, raw parsley and comfrey leaves mised in with the meat. Comfrey is often called the 'arthritic herb'. Boiled nettles are also curative. Externally massage the area with a lotion of four tablespoons olive oil, one part linseed oil, to which add a half teaspoon eucalyptus oil. Sunflower oil is also good, used in place of the linseed [which I would do if your dog is going to lick it]. Also helpful is Vick's vapo rub."

There's nothing specifically for inflammation, but I recommend picking up a copy and reading all the forewarnings and dietary information. Could be a general change in diet would help.

Good luck with your fur-baby! 🐶

I have a copy of the book The Complete Herbal Handbook for the Dog and Cat by Juliette de Bairacli Levy.

"For arthritis over-acid diet is the chief cause." But you know the cause here. "Treatment - Internal dosing with rosemary brew; also feed chopped, raw parsley and comfrey leaves mised in with the meat. Comfrey is often called the 'arthritic herb'. Boiled nettles are also curative. Externally massage the area with a lotion of four tablespoons olive oil, one part linseed oil, to which add a half teaspoon eucalyptus oil. Sunflower oil is also good, used in place of the linseed [which I would do if your dog is going to lick it]. Also helpful is Vick's vapo rub."

There's nothing specifically for inflammation, but I recommend picking up a copy and reading all the forewarnings and dietary information. Could be a general change in diet would help.

Good luck with your fur-baby! 🐶
Thanks for your advice. Milly had an excellent diet though. Not sure where we could purchase comfrey leaves though.
She's really struggling to walk tonight though. The vet advised that would happen.

Back
Top Bottom