Elon Musk and Space X

axj

Dagobah Resident
EM toxicity isn't just from cell phone towers. It's from any electrical device anywhere near you. Whether you're in a capsule floating through space, or in a base on Mars, they're effectively the same thing.
Bases on Mars can be very low tech actually, at least in the living areas. So I don't think that EM toxicity is a valid argument against bases or colonies on other planets.

We evolved specifically for Earth's conditions. Alter those conditions or take us out of them all together, and the result is sickness.
We can recreate Earth's conditions elsewhere to a very large degree. Maybe not soon, but technically it is possible. The only significant difference would be lower gravity on planets like Mars. And then there is also the fact that our bodies can adapt to some degree. Whether or not long term living on another planet would lead to sickness is only speculation at this point.

And the claim that "we evolved for Earth's conditions" may be incorrect as well, since the theory of evolution is full of holes that you are probably aware of.

We've got enough resources on Earth. We're not short of resources.
How do you determine that? You'd need to back up this claim with data - or mark this statement as your personal opinion instead of a supposed fact.

...the fact that you can ask that question in a serious manner suggests to me that you have an identification with the idea of space travel that prevents you from taking a step back and just trying on different thinking. I'm not suggesting that you're absolutely wrong, or that I'm seeing things clearly and you're not. I'm just highlighting what looks to me like a rigidity to your thinking, and I'm trying to present you with counter-ideas and highlight potential problems.
What in this statement ("How is space exploration fundamentally different from exploring Earth hundreds of years ago?") suggest rigidity of thinking to you? Again, you are making a claim without backing it up with data or arguments.

But we're not talking about flying in planes for a few hours. We're talking about living for extended periods of time in space, in a hermetically sealed Faraday cage, with no day and night, surrounded by and trapped with electronic systems that are giving off constant EMFs.
Now you seem to be conflating subjects. We were talking about colonies on Mars, which does have a 24-hour day and night cycle and you don't necessarily need to live there surrounded by electronics in your proximity.

There's lots of other arguments against the idea of colonising other planets and moons. We haven't even touched on the simple idea that the billions of dollars it would cost could be put to infinitely better uses down here on Earth.
A lot of the money that goes into space travel is now coming from private enterprises (SpaceX, Blue Origin, Bigelow and many others). It is not public money, so they can invest it in whatever they want.

So to sum up, I also see space exploration or even colonies elsewhere as a relatively neutral activity that can be used by both STO and STS - similar to flying airplanes. There are advantages to it - some of which we might not even be aware of yet - and there are disadvantages, some of which you outlined.

c.a.

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I continue to believe that Musk's empire, is money laundering operation. And that he's a fraud, and front man for the Deep State.

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?
Elon Musk’s Space Exploration Technologies Corp. (SpaceX) expects to lay off 10% of its 6,000-employee workforce citing the urgent need to be a "leaner company."

The cuts were mentioned in an email sent to employees by President Gwynne Shotwell, which was given to the Los Angeles Times. "This was a very difficult but necessary decision,” Shotwell wrote.
“To continue delivering for our customers and to succeed in developing interplanetary spacecraft and a global space-based internet, SpaceX must become a leaner company,” the Hawthorne-based company said in a statement. “Either of these developments, even when attempted separately, have bankrupted other organizations. This means we must part ways with some talented and hardworking members of our team.”

"We are grateful for everything they have accomplished and their commitment to SpaceX's mission," the company continued. "This action is taken only due to the extraordinarily difficult challenges ahead and would not otherwise be necessary."
The layoffs would affect approximately 600 employees, who would receive a minimum of two months' pay and other benefits, while the company promised to assist with job searching.

The job cut announcement coincided with the first SpaceX mission of 2019 on Friday, as a Falcon 9 rocket launched ten satellites into low-Earth orbit. Even with SpaceX’s increased launching activity - 21 in 2018, up from 18 the prior year, the company still has to reduce its size.

*SPACEX TO LAY OFF 10% OF ITS WORKFORCE: LOS ANGELES TIMES. Because too much demand
— zerohedge (@zerohedge) January 12, 2019
SpaceX generates most of its revenue from commercial and government satellite launches.

Elon Musk's company maintains it is financially sound, but the need to reduce staff indicates that financial stress could be brewing underneath.

In May 2018, Shotwell told CNBC that the company is profitable and has had “many years” of profitability.

Meanwhile, SpaceX reported in an SEC filing that it had raised more than $273 million in a planned $500 million round last week. The company is valued around $31 billion, according to Equidate, which tracks private-company valuations.

Musk also made headlines in June 2018 at his other company, Tesla, when it announced it was cutting 9% of its employees as part of an organizational restructuring aimed at reducing costs and boosting profits.

As for now, Musk's house of cards SolarCity, SpaceX and Tesla remain standing, yet there are ominous signs that trouble could be brewing in the Musk empire.

axj

Dagobah Resident
I continue to believe that Musk's empire, is money laundering operation. And that he's a fraud, and front man for the Deep State.
I think there are far easier ways to launder much more money. Read about the "missing" 20 trillion from the DOD budget alone. How much is unaccounted for in all the US agencies nobody knows. Plus, the big banks launder money all the time - they receive fines when caught, but those fines are much smaller than the money they make from laundering, so they continue doing it.

As to Musk being a fraud, do you really think a fraud and his company could construct reusable rockets that land vertically - what everyone else considered to be impossible?

c.a.

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I think there are far easier ways to launder much more money. Read about the "missing" 20 trillion from the DOD budget alone. How much is unaccounted for in all the US agencies nobody knows. Plus, the big banks launder money all the time - they receive fines when caught, but those fines are much smaller than the money they make from laundering, so they continue doing it.

As to Musk being a fraud, do you really think a fraud and his company could construct reusable rockets that land vertically - what everyone else considered to be impossible?
There are twitter feeds that have followed his daliy shenanigan's. I can post a few and let you be the judge if you like.

c.a.

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Space X moves prototype production to Texas.

In blow to Los Angeles, SpaceX is moving some Mars spaceship and booster work to Texas
Jan 16, 2019 | 5:35 PM Pacific Standard Time

In a reversal of a deal local officials had touted as a win for Los Angeles tech, SpaceX will no longer build its Mars spaceship and rocket booster system at the Port of Los Angeles. Instead, work to build and test the prototype will be done in south Texas.

SpaceX said in a statement Wednesday that the decision was made to “streamline operations.”

In a tweet, Chief Executive Elon Musk said: “Starship & Raptor [engine] development is being done out of our HQ in Hawthorne, CA.
We are building the Starship prototypes locally at our launch site in Texas, as their size makes them very difficult to transport.”

Mid Snip:
On Wednesday afternoon, Musk took to Twitter to clarify the company’s statement, saying it was “our miscommunication.” He said the new vehicle will still be developed at the company’s headquarters in Hawthorne, but the prototype will be built at the launch site in Texas.

SpaceX announced Friday that it’s laying off about 10 percent of its workforce. A notice filed with the state of California detailed 577 positions being cut at the company’s headquarters in Hawthorne.
:whistle:

Seriously? ...is it OK to view this space X thing through a jaundiced eye as a complete farce? That's the mock up? An aerodynamically-challenged, overstuffed V2 that ate too much bratwurst?

"Well yeah, it'll have windows 'n' stuff too, ya know..." (visionary articulation elevated to an art form etc.)

But personally, I would never d-r-e-a-m of going to Mars unless we got to wear really cool hats and suits!

1950.png

Top Bottom