Andrey

Jedi
Hello.

First off, I would like to preface this post by sharing a bit about some of the issues I am dealing with currently. I briefly shared some details in relation to these issues in some earlier posts, and it was pointed out to me by another member that this is happening because of left-brain imbalance.

Essentially, I spend most of my waking hours building castles in the air and constructing grand theories about how I am going to go about implementing my ideas without actually implementing them in the present moment or at least in the very near future. I have been doing this for YEARS! And it's gone on like this for so long that I am unable to stop thinking this way. For the past couple of months, I had a few days here and there where I sort of "woke up" and consciously took action in a consistent manner on my aims for a considerable amount of time, but the veil returned and I went back to sleep. During those moments, I understood what "conscious suffering" and "doing what 'it' doesn't like" meant, but gradually, the mechanical habits return.

I shared this issue on another thread (this one), and it was pointed out by T.C. that this habit has something to do with dominance of left brain thinking. I also remember reading in the Wave series (I can't remember which volume) some of the characteristics of right brain thinking, which included present moment awareness amongst other things (I'm looking for that passage in the book by the way. If anyone can find it for me, would be much appreciated). The traits of right brain thinking that was listed in the book were different from what you usually find on the internet in relation to right brain thinking which usually includes creativity, spontaneity, intuition, etc. I'm sure these things are part of it somehow, but I think it's a bit more complicated than that.

I know the ideal is probably a good balance of both left and right brain thinking, but I am interested in accessing right brain thought specifically, so that I may understand it's characteristics and traits without all the new-age woo that is usually propagated on websites when researching on this topic.

Some more skeptical sources claim that the traits associated with "right brain" thinking has little to do with the right hemisphere of the brain and that this is an oversimplified view of the subject. I don't know enough about the brain to comment whether that may be true or not, but it makes sense.

While thinking more creatively, activating intuition and being more spontaneous would be great, my primary aim is taking action consistently in the present moment without overthinking about whether what I'm doing right now is the correct action to take or not. I have ideas on what I would like to get done within the next couple months, the next 6 months, the next year and so on and how in what order, but I would like to just go with the flow of the present moment without thinking too far ahead and just TAKE CONCRETE ACTION on my ideas consistently without being a perfectionist and becoming incapacitated with doubts, etc.

I am under the impression that "right brain thinking" might help solve this problem, though I'm not entirely sure. I know many people in the world have this issue with chronic procrastination and being stuck in the head, so maybe it might be a good topic to discuss.

Personally, I am primarily interested in proven methods backed by science that activate the characteristics of what is known as "right brain thinking" but definitely open to any and all effective techniques and quality resources in relation to this topic.

Hope I didn't go on too long.

Thanks for reading!

Hi Andrey,

I think it's a worthy endeavor, and from what I have been able to gather so far, the distinction between left and right Brian isn't as cut and clear as one would think, so I would suggest starting with The Master and His Emissary, that is probably one of the best books on the subject I have ever picked up.

There's a thread about it here that you can dig through, but I would suggest getting through the reading yourself, I think it will clarify a lot of the doubts you have and give you a much better understanding of what is meant when one points to a hemisphere of the brain to explain a tendency,

Mostly because before you try methods, I would suggest becoming really familiar with it within yourself, so then you can actually understand the methods.

Hello.

First off, I would like to preface this post by sharing a bit about some of the issues I am dealing with currently. I briefly shared some details in relation to these issues in some earlier posts, and it was pointed out to me by another member that this is happening because of left-brain imbalance.

Essentially, I spend most of my waking hours building castles in the air and constructing grand theories about how I am going to go about implementing my ideas without actually implementing them in the present moment or at least in the very near future. I have been doing this for YEARS! And it's gone on like this for so long that I am unable to stop thinking this way. For the past couple of months, I had a few days here and there where I sort of "woke up" and consciously took action in a consistent manner on my aims for a considerable amount of time, but the veil returned and I went back to sleep. During those moments, I understood what "conscious suffering" and "doing what 'it' doesn't like" meant, but gradually, the mechanical habits return.

I shared this issue on another thread (this one), and it was pointed out by T.C. that this habit has something to do with dominance of left brain thinking. I also remember reading in the Wave series (I can't remember which volume) some of the characteristics of right brain thinking, which included present moment awareness amongst other things (I'm looking for that passage in the book by the way. If anyone can find it for me, would be much appreciated). The traits of right brain thinking that was listed in the book were different from what you usually find on the internet in relation to right brain thinking which usually includes creativity, spontaneity, intuition, etc. I'm sure these things are part of it somehow, but I think it's a bit more complicated than that.

I know the ideal is probably a good balance of both left and right brain thinking, but I am interested in accessing right brain thought specifically, so that I may understand it's characteristics and traits without all the new-age woo that is usually propagated on websites when researching on this topic.

Some more skeptical sources claim that the traits associated with "right brain" thinking has little to do with the right hemisphere of the brain and that this is an oversimplified view of the subject. I don't know enough about the brain to comment whether that may be true or not, but it makes sense.

While thinking more creatively, activating intuition and being more spontaneous would be great, my primary aim is taking action consistently in the present moment without overthinking about whether what I'm doing right now is the correct action to take or not. I have ideas on what I would like to get done within the next couple months, the next 6 months, the next year and so on and how in what order, but I would like to just go with the flow of the present moment without thinking too far ahead and just TAKE CONCRETE ACTION on my ideas consistently without being a perfectionist and becoming incapacitated with doubts, etc.

I am under the impression that "right brain thinking" might help solve this problem, though I'm not entirely sure. I know many people in the world have this issue with chronic procrastination and being stuck in the head, so maybe it might be a good topic to discuss.

Personally, I am primarily interested in proven methods backed by science that activate the characteristics of what is known as "right brain thinking" but definitely open to any and all effective techniques and quality resources in relation to this topic.

Thanks for reading!

I would like to just go with the flow of the present moment without thinking too far ahead and just TAKE CONCRETE ACTION on my ideas consistently without being a perfectionist and becoming incapacitated with doubts,
I think your problem is more about self confidence as you worry how other will judge your performance so you run numerous scenarios in your head. My suggestion is just take a concrete plan and execute what you are trying to do without caring about the result as you keep on doing it you eventually gets better. Just read books on topic you are working on for better grasp on the situation. Doing it with a mentor/ someone who knows about subject matter could also help get things rolling.

Last edited:

I think that those periods of being able to Do are as automatic and not-conscious as the periods that feel like the habitual norm. Conscious suffering would be acting to do things or achieve things whilst one is feeling stuck.

Identifying that one's issues may be due to a left-brain type dominance of world-view and self-perception is important, but I don't think it's a magic bullet that is meant to just make everything easy to do.

The main things Laura says about it in The Wave is that it comes down to non-anticipation and letting go of assumptions. It's about not being rigid in your thinking about things, not assuming you know the answer or have all the answers, and always being open to new ideas and interpretations.

I think this perfectionism that leads to the incapacitation would be a good place to start. Looking at yourself as you are, rather than what you wish you were, and looking at and accepting and enjoying the results of your efforts for what they are, rather than what you wish they were.

I also remember reading in the Wave series (I can't remember which volume) some of the characteristics of right brain thinking, which included present moment awareness amongst other things (I'm looking for that passage in the book by the way. If anyone can find it for me, would be much appreciated).

Here you go. It starts about half-way down:

I understand what you are going through as I am experiencing something similar sometimes. One thing to consider is what you do early in the morning, what you think and how think, what you do and HOW you do it, rushing or calm f.ex. First 2 hours you can say it's the hours of magician. What I mean is that this is the time our subconscious, our mind is most suggestionable to affirmations or even program change. When it comes to right brain thinking it's good that you brought it up for consideration. As the literature suggest it involves being spontaneous. To be spontaneous involves being consciously aware outwardly what is happening. Some focusing exercise may be useful like focusing your vision on spot for couple of minutes while consciously relaxing the body. You can blink while doing this. While it is useful to being able to imagine ahead in time and I suggest what if you narrow it to the present moment meaning visualising what you gonna do now, involving your body sensations, f example the feeling of your hands while washing dishes. Another thing to consider is iodine and melatonin as I have noticed it greatly enhances psychic abilities in the sense of willpower, will over matter - our body.

To me it sounds like you need more grounding and more presence, which itself can synchronise right/left. Being stuck in the head, logical and getting beaten up by negative thoughts was basically my whole life, but it's something I've now made good progress on.

Morning is an important time to ground and set intent for the day. Here's a morning routine I use which can be done pretty quickly. It follows the formula FIVE - focus, intent, visualization, creates experience. If it offends any left brain sensibilities then thats good. It can take less than 15 minutes.

0) Breathe and scan body/mind for sensations, energy, worries etc.

1) Light stretches to move energy round the body, including left/right movements, crossing over the arms and legs, pressing on meridian points (rubbing head, ears, collarbone). You may want to try yoga and alternate nostril breathing too.

2) Sit and visualise your thoughts going round your head, then imagine them taking an elevator down to the base of your spine, getting quieter. Do 7 strong kegels and 'lock' your awareness down here through intent. Take some pranic breaths. This is now your center point. You're now in the body, breathing from here, operating from here.

3) Imagine roots going down from your feet deep into the earth. Connect with Earth energy. I bless mother Earth and ask her to bless me. "Keep me grounded today, in tune with your rhythms" etc. Take deep breaths visualizing earth energy coming up through the roots and into your center point, then back down, grounding you, giving the strength to walk confidently on the earth.

4) Now connect with high vibration energy, DCM the universe, in the same way. Imagine a ball of white light above the head, that expands into infinity. In here is pure abundance, love, laughter, knowledge, healing, happiness, eternal. Breathe it down through the crown chakra to your centre point, filling with life and cleansing negative energy.

5) Do another body scan, notice any changes, and try to keep more awareness in your body throughout the day.

For me, something else that is working quite well is the wim hof method. Breathing exercises, plus cold therapy, plus the power of the mind or intent. There are many resources on this but I recommend his book and his appearances on Joe Rogan as an intro.

Another point about left and right brain differences that comes across in McGilchrist’s book is that the left brain seems to deal more with things that are about us - about acquisition and personal benefits - and the right brain deals with everything that is ‘not us’ - other people and the world around us.

For example, some species of bird look at the food they want to eat with their right eye (controlled by the left brain), the side that deals with ‘me’ and what ‘I want’ and ‘I need’, while their left eye (controlled by the right brain), which deals with ‘them’ and ‘others’, and ‘not me’, is scanning the environment for predators.

There are many other times during the early chapters where this distinction between self and other comes across in the hemisphere differences. One of the other members here told me that if they were to boil down the differences between the hemispheres, they would call the left side the STS brain, and the right side the STO brain. I think there’s truth in that, but we obviously need both sides. I think this is the point Laura makes in that chapter of the wave when she starts taking about this uniting of the two sides as the great androgyne - both together in one - the heiros gamos or sacred marriage in alchemy. But I may be confusing concepts there.

So, maybe these periods when we get overly stuck in left brain mode, it’s really that we’re ‘stuck in ourselves’, and we’re not engaging with the world outside us and around us enough, and that we’re ultimately not being of much use to others and can’t be of service to others because we’re mainly thinking about ourselves and focusing on ourselves and serving ourselves.

Another point about left and right brain differences that comes across in McGilchrist’s book is that the left brain seems to deal more with things that are about us - about acquisition and personal benefits - and the right brain deals with everything that is ‘not us’ - other people and the world around us.

For example, some species of bird look at the food they want to eat with their right eye (controlled by the left brain), the side that deals with ‘me’ and what ‘I want’ and ‘I need’, while their left eye (controlled by the right brain), which deals with ‘them’ and ‘others’, and ‘not me’, is scanning the environment for predators.

There are many other times during the early chapters where this distinction between self and other comes across in the hemisphere differences. One of the other members here told me that if they were to boil down the differences between the hemispheres, they would call the left side the STS brain, and the right side the STO brain. I think there’s truth in that, but we obviously need both sides. I think this is the point Laura makes in that chapter of the wave when she starts taking about this uniting of the two sides as the great androgyne - both together in one - the heiros gamos or sacred marriage in alchemy. But I may be confusing concepts there.

So, maybe these periods when we get overly stuck in left brain mode, it’s really that we’re ‘stuck in ourselves’, and we’re not engaging with the world outside us and around us enough, and that we’re ultimately not being of much use to others and can’t be of service to others because we’re mainly thinking about ourselves and focusing on ourselves and serving ourselves.

To think about this by way of example:

We could take the difference between a tribe of people living a few thousand years ago. They wake up together in their community. They are a big cluster of families who all know each other and work together. They’re not distracted by technology and are more in touch with their surroundings. Each has their roles that they’re good at and they know what needs to be done each day for their individual benefit and for the benefit of the tribe. There’s no toxic media brainwashing them into narcissism. They don’t have much of an opportunity to sit around and get stuck in their own heads about what they should be doing with their lives and how they are going to motivate themselves today. Their daily life and those around them are their motivation.

Then take the modern single person, programmed through years of media and schooling into being as narcissistic as possible. They live alone in an artificial building, isolated from others. They have to go to their job every day, but the reward of a paycheck each month doesn’t quite translate into the rewarding feelings that are supposed to come as one achieves things hour by hour in a more natural type of existence. They have a lot of spare time, but no one around them to spend it on. They are left trying to stimulate the production and release of dopamine and oxytocin in whatever easy and quick ways they can.

I think this illustrates how lifestyle and environment can play a role in making one more or less left brained or right brained.

Hello.

Thanks for reading!
Hi me again, I have a question are you mostly using your mind but rarely/afraid to use emotion? Because from your description there seem to be imbalance like lacking in intuition/emotion but mostly using deduction reasoning/overcautious tendency.

Hi me again, I have a question are you mostly using your mind but rarely/afraid to use emotion? Because from your description there seem to be imbalance like lacking in intuition/emotion but mostly using deduction reasoning/overcautious tendency.

Yes this describes me quite well, though I wouldn't say I'm completely unemotional. I experience occasional bursts of mostly negative emotions like, anger and depression, sometimes fear, and even hate every now and then. Positive emotions are rarely, if ever experienced unfortunately.

Yes this describes me quite well, though I wouldn't say I'm completely unemotional. I experience occasional bursts of mostly negative emotions like, anger and depression, sometimes fear, and even hate every now and then. Positive emotions are rarely, if ever experienced unfortunately.
Superefforts. Gurdjieff was right, forcing your body to do things it hates doing creates "substances" that allow the horse and driver to communicate more clearly with one another. I don't have any scientific studies showing what exactly changes in the neurochemistry or whatever, but it's what worked for me when nothing else would.

To think about this by way of example:

We could take the difference between a tribe of people living a few thousand years ago. They wake up together in their community. They are a big cluster of families who all know each other and work together. They’re not distracted by technology and are more in touch with their surroundings. Each has their roles that they’re good at and they know what needs to be done each day for their individual benefit and for the benefit of the tribe. There’s no toxic media brainwashing them into narcissism. They don’t have much of an opportunity to sit around and get stuck in their own heads about what they should be doing with their lives and how they are going to motivate themselves today. Their daily life and those around them are their motivation.

Then take the modern single person, programmed through years of media and schooling into being as narcissistic as possible. They live alone in an artificial building, isolated from others. They have to go to their job every day, but the reward of a paycheck each month doesn’t quite translate into the rewarding feelings that are supposed to come as one achieves things hour by hour in a more natural type of existence. They have a lot of spare time, but no one around them to spend it on. They are left trying to stimulate the production and release of dopamine and oxytocin in whatever easy and quick ways they can.

I think this illustrates how lifestyle and environment can play a role in making one more or less left brained or right brained.

In his book Waking the Tiger, Peter Levine talks about teaching a group of Hopi Indians about somatic experiencing. He couldn't get any of them to volunteer to do some work on their own issues with him because they have a very weak concept of self as individuals. They think in terms of family, tribe, culture. So he asked if someone had a case that they were working on that they wanted to share with the class, then asked if anyone in the room had similar experiences, then invited that person up so that they could give a demonstration to the class.

I think it was Gurdjieff when talking about essence and ego said that Indians and the like have too much essence and not enough ego and that was the weakness that left them vulnerable to Europeans. Gurdjieff didn't get everything right, but I wonder if what he was referring to were manifestations of RH & LH.

A great video of McGilchrist. Funnily enough, a lot of what he says goes back to what I said about people living alone in an artificial environment, vs people living together, connected to nature.
Cheers, will listen to this one on my way to work today.

You are a reason/mind personality type. It is common when one using too much reasoning process are apt to neglect the emotions. Those who are afraid of emotions/ under develop cannot trust their intuition, because intuition is blurred by their fear/distrust of its supposed intangibility and inability to cope its chaotic nature. Afraid of losing control (emotionally) cuts out not only a major part of life necessary experience, but beauty and happiness as well. The harmonious personality finds the healthy middle way and uses the rationally or emotionally, depending on the situation. Emotional life necessarily carries uncertainty and risk, whereas the rational type tries to keep everything well ordered by avoiding the emotions. I personally fix this problem by adding more emotional platonic female friends and picking up some of their habit as rebalancing process. Just let go and be impulsive. Warning: initially you may offend them a lot with your logic, just apologize. Growth occur when you encounter/expand ideas that are beyond your comfort zone so you need to be flexible and non judgmental in attitude to gain insight and understanding of the love lesson.

Back
Top Bottom