Father Seraphim Rose - Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future

PaleFace

Padawan Learner
I just listened to Father Rose's incredible book on an excellent Youtube channel. The predictions and explanations offered by the book are strikingly accurate and prescient considering that it was written in 1975. I have to say, this book really helped organize my thoughts and gave clarity to the disturbing nature of what is being foisted on humanity, and most importantly, the lands that formerly constituted Christendom.

The key takeaway that I got from the book was that yes, psychic and spiritual phenomenon are very real and very dangerous in our world (UFOs, speaking in tongues, channeling, possession) but that they are almost all evil and lead one into Prelest - spiritual arrogance - that blinds one to the truth, and leads to more spiritual risk-taking behavior until things get very very bad indeed. To continue with one's spiritual development, one must be discerning and suspicious and never simply trust blindly, lest one be eaten alive. I, for one, have taken the Father's warnings to heart.

Has anyone else read/listened to the book? I humbly recommend it be included in the Reading List for Beginners. It's concise and a stark warning for anyone looking to dabble in the occult, meditation, eastern religions, new age, pentacostals, etc. These experiments ends badly. Overall, I think it compliments much of the information found on the forum quite well, but spends more time issuing warnings than recommending correct courses of action. The Orthodox world in general seems cagey about sharing its esoteric secrets with the world, in stark contrast with Protestant, Revivalism, New Age, Hindu etc gurus.

Related: G's work seems to be a sort of secular version of Orthodox technical knowledge. Why he took the techniques and stripped them of their Orthodox grounding, I still do not fully understand. Father Rose warns that no true spiritual progress can be made without recognition of one's sin and abject humility before God. G strays from this tradition, even if he often chides and admonishes the reader to humble them. Just sharing my thoughts so far. The book:

It might be difficult under the current Covid imposed spatial restrictions, but if you can, visit an orthodox church, russian or even greek or romanian. Reading the book after that will bring a more comlplete experience.

In the same category as Gregorian/Tibetan Chants, this video is inspiring as well as full of mystery. It is composed of several Bulgarian Orthodox hymns, but pay close attention to the amazing images of Orthodox schema monks.
Orthodox schema monks know a few secrets....
I had the privledge of visiting Bulgaria several years ago, and the Orthodox Churches are amazing!
If there is interest, I could post some of my pictures as well.

I come from the Orthodox tradition, the Serbian Orthodox Church, and for some time now I have been thinking of starting the topic of Orthodox Christianity. is there a need?
Hello, and thank you. I can only speak for myself but, yes, I think there is a need, at least on my part the need definitely exists.
I am 52 years old and I've been baptised twelve years ago, for some years I adhered to the Orthodox teachings, as far as I could, then my path strayed somewhat.
I think the Christian Orthodoxy is flawed in many respects, yet inside it one can still discover the Church that Jesus Christ founded, hidden according to God's holy Sophia.

Back
Top Bottom