Finding it difficult to smoke lately

SolarMother

Dagobah Resident
I don't know why. I have been smoking AS, filtered, but only about 1 or 2 a day, about 4-5 times a week. That seems to be my limit. When I first began smoking a few months ago I really enjoyed it and felt the good effects of nicotine in my brain.
Suddenly, about 3 weeks ago, I lost the desire to smoke, but did it anyway, and found that I became quite dizzy and nauseous. Really, it was like an episode of vertigo if I tried to stand up and walk! So, I stopped.
However, I tried AS organic in a pouch, hand rolled by a friend just the other day. Same thing happened. Anyone else out there have this problem? Is there a correct way to smoke that I may not be doing? Any advice much appreciated, as I would like to continue with the AS organic pouch tobacco and get myself a roller device. Doesn't seem to be any other choice here in the US for organic tobacco except AS, which is a little dry, but better in a pouch.

I have some AS organic in the pouch too that I'm smoking. I also only smoke 1-3 a day. The dizzy and vertigo feeling I still get if I haven't smoked one in a while. I think it's just the effect of the nicotine. If you were to smoke regularly throughout the day, I think it wouldn't be noticeable anymore.

You can find other additive free tobaccos online, but they are really clamping down with the tobacco in the mail thing. So American Spirit really is the only thing you seem to find in stores. One thing may be to use no filter or Raw cotton filters. I was using the standard acetate ones and noticed that it felt better on the lungs to stop using them.

And you mentioned the tobacco was dry. You can put the tobacco in a jar with a paper towel wet with distilled water coovering the top and put on the lid. Wait a few hours and it will be soft and moist. There's also little disc humidifiers that you can stick in the pouch. I use these too and they're convenient.

The only other thing I can think of, and I may be projecting a little, is that you don't fit the smoking profile. I too am wondering this because I can get by with just one a day like I did today. I also notice my heart rate increases while smoking. But with all the benefits, including the esoteric ones, and the strong effort by the PTB to restrict its use, it seems like a good thing to do.

Maybe others can chime in with some more advice. Good luck in your experiences :cool2:.

3D Student said:
I have some AS organic in the pouch too that I'm smoking. I also only smoke 1-3 a day. The dizzy and vertigo feeling I still get if I haven't smoked one in a while. I think it's just the effect of the nicotine. If you were to smoke regularly throughout the day, I think it wouldn't be noticeable anymore.
I agree with the above and still have some dizziness if I haven't smoked in about 8-10 hours. Never had nausea though so perhaps others can tell you more about that.

SolarMother said:
However, I tried AS organic in a pouch, hand rolled by a friend just the other day. Same thing happened. Anyone else out there have this problem? Is there a correct way to smoke that I may not be doing? Any advice much appreciated, as I would like to continue with the AS organic pouch tobacco and get myself a roller device. Doesn't seem to be any other choice here in the US for organic tobacco except AS, which is a little dry, but better in a pouch.

Hi SolarMother,

When I tried AS organic in the pouch in a pipe, I found it harsh and unpleasant. I put it aside and returned to a "pipe tobacco" that is cut for rolling but they sold it (over a year ago) much cheaper as a "smooth" pipe tobacco (with no additives). Keyword being "smooth". It's actually meant for smokers that want to roll your own. The organic tobacco I bought recently is here: _http://www.rollyourown.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=90_212&products_id=736 - I haven't tried it yet since I'm still working through some older stock - but it looks to me like it is rollable. And it has some organic fruit juices added for flavoring (may not be best for rolling).

I just found the site where I got the "smooth" stuff here: _http://www.ryotobacco.com/page/ryot/PROD/ghpt/ghsg. It is a bit more expensive but still cheap at $45 for 500Grams.

Good Luck

I smoke...I smoke a lot. Probably over 2 packs of commercial cigarettes a day for over 25 years. I only recently, since finding this board, have changed to AS. It's been years since I've been able to smoke enough to get myself nauseous from over-niccing, I usually burn my tongue first...but it happens all the time now. I've cut back to just over a pack a day, and I still get a little nauseous by the end of the day.
I agree that you might not fit the smoking profile...your body might just be saying, "okay, that's about all the benefits you're going to get from this, you can stop now".

SolarMother said:
I don't know why. I have been smoking AS, filtered, but only about 1 or 2 a day, about 4-5 times a week. That seems to be my limit. When I first began smoking a few months ago I really enjoyed it and felt the good effects of nicotine in my brain.
Suddenly, about 3 weeks ago, I lost the desire to smoke, but did it anyway, and found that I became quite dizzy and nauseous. Really, it was like an episode of vertigo if I tried to stand up and walk! So, I stopped.

Hello SolarMother,

something like this happened also from time to time to me. At least in the past, where I also smoked less cigarettes, that I didn't liked at all the taste of it and had to butt out the cigarette. But don't know why it happened, also this distate feeling of cigarettes vanished very quick again (after one or two days). The dizziness feeling is normal and can take a longer time until it is vanishing, that means your body gets used to it. For me it vanished as I smoked more regularly.

Maybe just use it as a sign, that maybe your body doesn't need cigarettes (nicotine) and experiment with it, as 3D Student already said.

3D Student said:
And you mentioned the tobacco was dry. You can put the tobacco in a jar with a paper towel wet with distilled water coovering the top and put on the lid. Wait a few hours and it will be soft and moist. There's also little disc humidifiers that you can stick in the pouch. I use these too and they're convenient.

That is unknown to me, but sounds very good and usable. I'm using a piece of an apple and put it into the pouch, but have to be careful that it doesn't get too humid and the cigarettes don't burn anymore. :)

3d said:
The only other thing I can think of, and I may be projecting a little, is that you don't fit the smoking profile. I too am wondering this because I can get by with just one a day like I did today. I also notice my heart rate increases while smoking.

Maybe it's the reason, cause nicotine (acetylcholine receptors) cause the release of adrenalin (Burnham and Phelan, Mean Genes, p. 69).

In a word: moderation. I found that tobaccos do differ greatly
from one another. Some have a terrible "bite". Some are more
"powerful" than others. I have found "smooth" tobaccos with less
or no "bite". These I can smoke for long periods with no dizziness
or vertigo. It pays to try different types of tobacco to suit your
needs and without dizziness/vertigo. Your mileage may vary, so
discover!

I have been into vertigo many times, and it is not pleasant. When
I get into this kind of mode, I think my body is telling me: "Whoa!
back off a bit! Go more slowly" or this one is not for me! ;) Your
body gives many signals; heart races, perspiration, dizziness, and
so on, so listen to what your body is telling you, and slow down
or stop smoking, and let it rest for now! Pick it up another day,
you have reached your limit! Rest!

I guess the closest analogy I can come up with is: the difference
between wine and spirits. With wine, one tends to hold their own
better, perhaps with a little more quantity, but with spirits, one has
to be more careful, drink slowly, with food, and spread it out over time.
Yet, for others, alcohol is a poison, and should be avoided entirely.

FWIW,
Dan

Thank you alll--your replies have been quite helpful and it's time to ponder a bit and decide how to go about this. I don't think I am ready to give up on tobacco, perhaps I need to wait to see if the desire returns, then I just may try the pipe tobacco mentioned
LQB said:
SolarMother said:

Hi SolarMother,

When I tried AS organic in the pouch in a pipe, I found it harsh and unpleasant. I put it aside and returned to a "pipe tobacco" that is cut for rolling but they sold it (over a year ago) much cheaper as a "smooth" pipe tobacco (with no additives). Keyword being "smooth". It's actually meant for smokers that want to roll your own. The organic tobacco I bought recently is here: _http://www.rollyourown.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=90_212&products_id=736 - I haven't tried it yet since I'm still working through some older stock - but it looks to me like it is rollable. And it has some organic fruit juices added for flavoring (may not be best for rolling).

I just found the site where I got the "smooth" stuff here: _http://www.ryotobacco.com/page/ryot/PROD/ghpt/ghsg. It is a bit more expensive but still cheap at $45 for 500Grams.

Good Luck
As always, its good to see that others have also experienced the same thing. Smoking does make my heart race a bit at times, and I would like to find out if smoking something different/smoother will make the entire experience pleasant once again.
Then I can decide whether smoking is for me or not!

LQB said:

When I tried AS organic in the pouch in a pipe, I found it harsh and unpleasant.

i also found AS too be "bleh" and harsh. i stumbled across some "dual purpose" (for both ryo and pipe use) organic kentucky select pipe tobacco. i roll my own with it, and i find that it's both smooth and sweet. love it! here's a link if you're interested: http://www.rollyourown.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=90_212&products_id=736

as far as nausea, i would experience it in when i would go w/o smoking for long periods of time and then light one up. it was apparent in my first few months of smoking, but i no longer feel nauseated. i smoke maybe 3 a day but mostly just 1 or 2.

dant said:
I have been into vertigo many times, and it is not pleasant. When
I get into this kind of mode, I think my body is telling me: "Whoa!
back off a bit! Go more slowly" or this one is not for me! ;) Your
body gives many signals; heart races, perspiration, dizziness, and
so on, so listen to what your body is telling you, and slow down
or stop smoking, and let it rest for now! Pick it up another day,
you have reached your limit! Rest!

FWIW,
Dan

Recently I had this feeling of vertigo/extreme discomfort and stopped smoking thinking it is not for me. I should check heart beat next time I smoke.

cdh4r said:
LQB said:

When I tried AS organic in the pouch in a pipe, I found it harsh and unpleasant.

i also found AS too be "bleh" and harsh. i stumbled across some "dual purpose" (for both ryo and pipe use) organic kentucky select pipe tobacco. i roll my own with it, and i find that it's both smooth and sweet. love it! here's a link if you're interested: http://www.rollyourown.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=90_212&products_id=736

as far as nausea, i would experience it in when i would go w/o smoking for long periods of time and then light one up. it was apparent in my first few months of smoking, but i no longer feel nauseated. i smoke maybe 3 a day but mostly just 1 or 2.

cdh4r,
thank you for that lead...I am going to look into that tobacco, because AS just isn't happening! I am not yet ready to give up on smoking! :cool2:

cdh4r,
thank you for that lead...I am going to look into that tobacco, because AS just isn't happening! I am not yet ready to give up on smoking! :cool2:

tis true, no need to give up! once one finds that perfect tobacco, it makes for a pleasant experience

pete just posted this on the "smoking is... good?" forum:

Pete said:
I hear ya.. I too just recently found a place online called 'Custom Blends' that grows their own natural organic tobacco and I've started to buy pipe tobacco from them. I had some American Spirits left over so I ordered a couple of flavored pouches and mixed them together and wow is it much better! I think once its gone I'll be giving up on the American Spirits stuff for good although it was probably my fault for buying rolling tobacco for my pipe.

you might look into that if you want

cdh4r said:
LQB said:

cdh4r,
I'm still looking into this...I would like your advice on this product for hand rolling cigarettes(which looks like I can get here in CO.)
Did you try this yet? http://www.pipetobacco.com/page/pipet/PROD/ghpt/GHSG
Which hand roller would you recommend? http://www.pipetobacco.com/page/pipet/PROD/ghpt/GHSG
Life got chaotic, but now I have time to look into this---miss smoking! :cool2:
thank you!!!

I'm sure you all know this and its probably a repeat--but the organics/no additives are always stronger because they don't have the nicotene dampners that they soak the tobacco in. And of course dryer tobacco always has more bite.

Too many choices on hand rollers out there--anyone have recommendations for a specific type that you find works well? I know nada about hand rollers and want to get one soon...(or is electric better?) I don't want to use filters either, nor a pipe. THank you!

what about from this selection?? http://www.pipetobacco.com/page/pipet/PROD/ghpt/GHSG

Back
Top Bottom